Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2019, 07:06 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default What would you make?

Hubby wants to give a small gift to the 25 people on his staff. He’s the Education manager at a City run paramedic company. So of course there is no budget thus I plan to make the gifts. One of the proposed projects is a coaster decoupaged with an image. I have several ideas but he want to use a company logo. I say ‘super boring’. So here is the question. If you were his employee, what would you rather have? A coaster that is generally appealing to look at or a corporate logo? Last year the gift was a mug with the same boring logo. I have other ideas as well which I’ll steer him toward rather than this one. I figure if the person wants to use it at home, so they really want to be reminded of work all the time? And of course, not-for-profit means they are very over worked. That seems to me like they’d especially not want to be reminded of work when they aren’t there.

I’d actually mentioned the coasters as a potential gift for him as I saw ones with some pretty cool beer logos on them (loves beer) but he misunderstood and thought I meant for the group. Ugh. Men right?

So be honest with your answer. I can take it!

In case you were wondering the other gift ideas are: spice rub or dip mix in a cute jar (he thinks people won’t use it), a leather cord wrap (probably the most expensive idea but I think the nicest), hand warmers (fabric bags with rice inside), a shot glass with a calligraphy initial, or a bag of sweet n spicy mixed nuts.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do the Nut mix and decorate the container or cello bag. Tie a pretty bow and you’re done. I love to get gifts that get used up rather than add to the stuff I have. There is always a gift cards for a cup of coffee or sandwich.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
I would do the Nut mix and decorate the container or cello bag. Tie a pretty bow and you’re done. I love to get gifts that get used up rather than add to the stuff I have. There is always a gift cards for a cup of coffee or sandwich.

I agree with the mixed nuts idea. My husband and I are at the age where "if we can't eat it or wear it" we just don't need it. I think people really appreciate items which are baked during the holidays. Good Luck with your decision; and, please share what you did with us. Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m also in the “consumables” camp - we all have so much stuff these days that anything I don’t have to find a permanent home for is appreciated! So I’d go with the nut mix or the spice/dip jars. Or maybe bake cookies if you have the time and inclination, when I’ve done these big soft ginger cookies as neighbour gifts they’ve always gone over really well, a few in a cello bag tied with raffia with a tag.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I always give a bag of Chex mix with lots of nuts! I do tweak the recipe and add teriyaki sauce and a small amount of dark brown sugar. Salty, sweet, yum...wish I had some right now! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 10:43 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with not adding to "stuff" that needs a permanent home. I also agree with your husband that a rub or spice mix wouldn't be useful to everyone - it would totally depend on what kind of cook they were, or if they even cooked at all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

It would also be nice if you do the rub or a mix in a jar to include the recipe so that they can refill the jar after they are done using it.

I would choose a mix that is useful to all...not so specialty that someone doesn't know what to do with it.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is an idea but a different approach. What about one large tray of goodies for everyone in the lunch/staff room? Rather than individual gifts, everyone can enjoy homemade treats. I used to make 3 or 4 batches of peanut brittle for hubby’s work. Your Chex mix could be in one big bowl for snacks.

I realize that there are limitations with that idea- shift workers never are all together at the same time, and may be you aren’t a peanut brittle maker ☺️ But maybe it would get you thinking of other possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Another vote for something consumable - nuts or dipped pretzel rods or turtles (made with square pretzels, Rolo candies and a pecan) or candy cane treats (made with square pretzels, candy cane kisses and an M&M).

For my staff this year, I am going to do up a microwave popcorn ("Just popping by with a holiday hi!") with a RedBox code.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I made a bunch of treat boxes and filled them with candy!

Christmas Boxes by muscrat - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I do bake and would do so except we have a cat and the hair is always EVERYWHERE! My hair ends up stuff too but I could wear a hair net. It’s a great idea I considered. But also baking a bunch of stuff would be too much for me. The other ideas I can do sitting down which is more my speed these days due to my health.

I will pass on the consensus of consumables as being the best choice. I was planning on the chip dip mix or the spice mix as being pretty versatile so everyone can use it. Everyone eats chips or have people over sometimes who do. Even people who don’t cook much usually BBQ around here so the spice mix would be useful too.

Thank you for the input. You guys are awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you wanted to go with a mix idea, maybe cocoa or chai tea or mulling spices or something like that would work, too (and they could put it in their logo mugs from last year, lol). Even people who don't cook enjoy beverages...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Personnel in the medical field will appreciate any kind of food item. A sandwich tray delivered at lunch, make up a crockpot of soup. That would be easier than doing 25 individual gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I made a bunch of treat boxes and filled them with candy!

Christmas Boxes by muscrat - at Splitcoaststampers

This.

I made star treat boxes (that could be ornaments if a loop was attached) as handouts for my mother-in-law’s Christmas party last year that apparently were a hit. But they were rather small - enough room for 3-4 wrapped Lindsor chocolates that I bought in holiday colors at Tuesday Morning. Bonus: fun to make and once I got the hang of it, went quickly.

Muscrat’s boxes would hold more and would be a keepsake, and the different types so fun.

I don’t think I’d use hand-mixed spices for dip, partly because I don’t eat dip.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-02-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #15  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
This.

I made star treat boxes (that could be ornaments if a loop was attached) as handouts for my mother-in-law’s Christmas party last year that apparently were a hit. But they were rather small - enough room for 3-4 wrapped Lindsor chocolates that I bought in holiday colors at Tuesday Morning. Bonus: fun to make and once I got the hang of it, went quickly.

Muscrat’s boxes would hold more and would be a keepsake, and the different types so fun.

I don’t think I’d use hand-mixed spices for dip, partly because I don’t eat dip.

These are adorable
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I do bake and would do so except we have a cat and the hair is always EVERYWHERE! My hair ends up stuff too but I could wear a hair net. It’s a great idea I considered. But also baking a bunch of stuff would be too much for me. The other ideas I can do sitting down which is more my speed these days due to my health.

I will pass on the consensus of consumables as being the best choice. I was planning on the chip dip mix or the spice mix as being pretty versatile so everyone can use it. Everyone eats chips or have people over sometimes who do. Even people who don’t cook much usually BBQ around here so the spice mix would be useful too.

Thank you for the input. You guys are awesome.
OK, it's obvious you are invested in the spice mix and the dip mix. As to the cat hair issue- if you're making up a spice mix or dip mix, the same potential exists for hair getting into it. So, could you clean the kitchen well, exclude the cat from the kitchen for a day, put on clean clothes the cat hasn't had a chance to shed on, and do your gifts?

BTW- I have issues with standing for very long, and I manage to bake and make jams, etc. Prep can be done sitting in most cases. I have an extremely easy jam recipe made with bananas, crushed pineapple, & maraschino cherries that the ingredients are always available, and can be made in batches, to spread out the work. A half pint of jam is a nice gift. Pepper jelly is another idea- lots of people put it over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
If you do go with your preferred spice mix or dip mix, the little 4 ounce canning jars are adorable- you could make a cute topper, and tie with ribbon.
Also, aside from edibles, there are easy to make cinnamon ornaments (just Google that- many recipes) that smell nice, and can be saved with the Christmas decorations every year.
Ditto making die cut ornaments as gifts. Not hard to do, can be used on the tree or as gift tags, easily saved. I layer mine for sturdiness.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:38 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would steer clear of anything with nuts because of nut allergies.

Going with food is good though. Chocolate dipped pretzel rods wrapped nicely, or popcorn. Or how about the large Hershey bars either decorated like a character (snowman, reindeer, etc.) or wrapped nicely with a candy cane? You could even slip in a scratch off lottery ticket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
OK, it's obvious you are invested in the spice mix and the dip mix. As to the cat hair issue- if you're making up a spice mix or dip mix, the same potential exists for hair getting into it. So, could you clean the kitchen well, exclude the cat from the kitchen for a day, put on clean clothes the cat hasn't had a chance to shed on, and do your gifts?

BTW- I have issues with standing for very long, and I manage to bake and make jams, etc. Prep can be done sitting in most cases. I have an extremely easy jam recipe made with bananas, crushed pineapple, & maraschino cherries that the ingredients are always available, and can be made in batches, to spread out the work. A half pint of jam is a nice gift. Pepper jelly is another idea- lots of people put it over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
If you do go with your preferred spice mix or dip mix, the little 4 ounce canning jars are adorable- you could make a cute topper, and tie with ribbon.
Also, aside from edibles, there are easy to make cinnamon ornaments (just Google that- many recipes) that smell nice, and can be saved with the Christmas decorations every year.
Ditto making die cut ornaments as gifts. Not hard to do, can be used on the tree or as gift tags, easily saved. I layer mine for sturdiness.

Can you share your pepper jelly recipe?!? Please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry, but if I was the recipient, I would prefer a gift card. I appreciate a good cup of coffee or tea, and it can be an expensive habit. I always went for a take out coffee before I went to work (coffee there was yuk!) Food mixes, prepared food can be a challenge due to allergies or special diets, ie: diabetic, gluten free, lactose intolerant. You could make beautiful gift card holders, and the cards would always be welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry, couldn't edit my comment above. I was assuming there was a small budget, if your husband wanted a company logo on the gift. I liked the ideas of the boxes with wrapped candies (like Lindor), they can always be regifted if f the recipient chooses. If there is a small budget from the company though, a five or ten dollar Tim H card or Starbucks would be appreciated. Did the company buy last year's mugs or did your hubby?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsyd2View Post
Can you share your pepper jelly recipe?!? Please!

Actually, the best I've made so far was peach jalepeno, used the recipe in the Sure Jell box for peach jam, added about 1 1/2 large jalepenos to that, diced very small. I'd go for more jalepeno next time, though. It was fabulous!

A friend did the jam over cream cheese thing, and it was wonderful. When I asked her where she bought the jam, she said a friend made it. So, I was stuck experimenting. Hers was peach jalepeno, which is why I tried that, and I loved it, just needed a bit more kick (and I am not a HOT food person).

Recipe:

4 cups prepared fruit (about 3 lb. fully ripe peaches)
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1 tsp. produce protector (optional)

1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin

1/2 tsp. butter or margarine (optional)

5-1/2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
2. Peel and pit peaches. Finely chop fruit. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Add lemon juice and fruit protector; stir until well blended. Stir in pectin. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

3. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

4. Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

I'm old fashioned- I don't water bath jelly or jam. All that sugar preserves it just fine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
This.

I think I need to make some of these - could you share your template/tutorial/a link/whatever? Just too cute and not the same ol', same ol'... Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I think I need to make some of these - could you share your template/tutorial/a link/whatever? Just too cute and not the same ol', same ol'... Thanks in advance!
Sure! Actually, before you asked, I started searching for the template and website, a little panicked that I couldn't find them, though had the paper template.

The original site with the template link is in Spanish, and while there's a translate button, the video is in Spanish. I'd just get the template and pass on the video.
http://papelisimo.es/2014/12/tutoria...ella-star-box/

But wait, there's more. Maymay of Maymay Made It made a youtube video with crystal clear instructions.

One change: For the thumb notch, instead of scissors, I used a 1" circle punch pushed about 1/3 of the way in. And the important part? My husband turned my first star around a couple times to find where to open the box. So to make it more obvious, especially for older guests, I added a thumb notch to the short piece that lays on top of the wider thumb-notched piece. (The thumb-notched piece on the template has to be folded in first to look right.) Maymay folds those pieces starting at about 6:38 on the video though she didn't add the thumb notch to the top piece.

I used a trimmer for some outside cuts by stacking some sheets together.
It's 2" high in the middle and would hold a lot of little treats, jewelry, etc. The first one took a while but then a rhythm takes over. Then came the fun of using really little stamps and dies to decorate them - there's a good 1-3/4" at the widest part. But they don't have to be decorated.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-04-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

As someone with food allergies (gluten, dairy) please be very careful about food items. I couldn't eat pretzels and I don't drink coffee or tea. A lot of people are allergic to nuts. Shot glasses, in my opinion, are not appropriate as someone could be a recovering alcoholic. A suggestion is a small frame that has an uplifting saying such as "You are amazing!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

For a group gift, since we can’t cater to every taste, sensitivity or allergy (though agree nix the peanuts), can we appreciate that it’s the thought that counts? I’m lactose intolerant and don’t like coffee or most teas, but if someone gave me a handmade box containing something I don’t eat, they’ve shown effort and caring. (And I could CASE the box.) ;)

On the other hand, after spending umpteen hours decluttering our house and getting rid of tons of knickknacks, I don’t want one more knick to knack.

With unwanted food/candy, we can give it to someone else or dispose of it. With an object that isn’t one’s style, it’s a thing to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
OK, it's obvious you are invested in the spice mix and the dip mix.

Funny you thought that. I actually think the cord wrap is the best idea! Everyone seems to have a million devices that need charging these days.

I also think the shot glass is a great idea. But he has a Muslim colleague (she is new) so he had to check with her about the suitability. Apparently he knows a few Muslims who drink. I guess most of the group joke about needing a drink after a hard day so that’s why he likes the shot glass idea. I suggested he simply substitute a drinking glass for her.

He knows this group pretty well as he interacts with them on a daily or weekly basis. So he knows no one is allergic to anything significant like nuts or dairy.

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 12-06-2019 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, if I'm already an employee, getting a "gift" with a company logo on it is a slap in the face to me. Those items are given out as promo gifts to get more customers/clients, so giving to your employees as a gift shows just how little you care about them, nor do you want to spend any money on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am a little confused-you mean there is no budget at the job? Or for you? Bc logo stuff is going to cost money?

I have to agree about the logo stuff. My DH brought home tons of that stuff that was left over from various client promos. I have been tossing it all asap since the company screwed him in the end. I never liked it much in the first place. It is advertising for them. A baseball hat, computer bag was one thing but that was plenty. It is kind of late anyway to be placing that kind of order?
A medic unit might feel differently in which case I would go with baseball hats because they are adjustable.

I like the food idea but as a person who cant eat anything spicy/hot-I cant tell you how many presents I have had to give away including a whole HUGE basket once sent as a thank you from a whole foods architect when I found and returned her stolen briefcase w her dad's drafting tools in it. I mean a small dog could sleep in it and we could not use a single thing in it. Such a shame.

I dont know what the cord wrap is?

What about Scratch offs? 3 mins of fun and maybe they win. Lottery cards.

I might look at Oriental Trading-they sell by the dozen often and maybe you find something small to stick in your HM box or card...I think they do logos too?

At this age I go with practical. Like a pretty hand towel..if I am doing at all. Last year I gave someone my fav oven mitts. (all clad silicone-comes in tons of nice colors) that is not good for here though. Unless maybe logo ballpoint pens.

If you have a local coffee shop that sells beans...they usually also have tea, hot chocolate, mulled spices...I might go with a small GC to them and they pick what they like and they can grind it for them if they want. DH loved that idea. Or they can get a mug or a tea strainer or whatever.

I am also liking the idea of the group thing at work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made little card stock holders for small containers of hand sanitizer, like this one (only with a Christmas theme): Week 4 of 12 Weeks of Halloween - Spooky Hand Sanitizer Bottle Holder by Christyg5az - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am a little confused-you mean there is no budget at the job? Or for you? Bc logo stuff is going to cost money?

I have to agree about the logo stuff. My DH brought home tons of that stuff that was left over from various client promos. I have been tossing it all asap since the company screwed him in the end. I never liked it much in the first place. It is advertising for them.
There is no budget for the gift hubby wants to give, even if it’s a logo item.

The staff are almost all management (education dept) and the rest are office staff so baseball hat is not going to work. Plus most got hats when they used to work in the ambulances so have lots. Thank you for the idea tho. A cord wrap is a shaped piece of leather, usually square or circle, with a snap. You gather your ear buds or charging cord then snap it within the piece of leather to keep it tidy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 08:08 AM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

ack.

I get it on the hats but just FYI....management totally wears them...often on a golf course lol....

What did you decide on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
ack.

I get it on the hats but just FYI....management totally wears them...often on a golf course lol....

What did you decide on?
Hubby decided to wait on the gift. And he’s been off for the holidays. Apparently there wasn’t a rush on it.
Reply With Quote Likes