Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Maybe I can share what I haven't used in a long time, and have actually purged from my craft-room.

Several hundred stamp sets.
Rolls and rolls of ribbon. Only kept a small sampling.
Rolls and rolls of washi tape. Kept gold and silver glittery type, and black and white stripe. The only ones I ever use.
Almost every single punch I ever bought. Must be 50 pounds of punches.
Most embellies...the ones that the PO doesn't like. I use sequins sometimes, and flatter ones.

Most of that has NEVER been used! I am wrapping my head around that fact, painfully.
I still have more to go through. A little at a time.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by fionna51:
fl_beachbum (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-04-2022), pepperann (03-13-2022), Ragtop (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I just wanted to share something with everyone.

This morning (or yesterday) Jennifer McGuire shared something oh-so-helpful in her video. She was talking about a lot of things, but one thing really meant something to me. She said that she is not good at coloring images, and that she doesn't really enjoy it at all. Just not her thing. She said to not feel like you need to learn Copic-coloring if you don't like coloring. Or whatever trend is "the thing" at the current time. It gives me permission to ignore some things sometimes. Do what makes you happiest. A video well worth watching.

So. I don't need Copics. Now I'm comfortable with that fact. I have some simple alcohol markers that I can do simple things with, but I don't have to spend all that money. I can get rid of many of those markers as well. You may just love coloring all those images and that's fine! And I know that my granddaughters who love anime and drawing will love having the alcohol markers.

I don't need a hot foil machine. Sure, the results are beautiful. But I found that when I make complex cards, I really don't enjoy the process. So all that equipment would be a waste for me. No envelope-maker or electronic cutters, or...

I don't need the ribbon and embellies and washi tape because I just don't use them. Same with a lot of patterned paper. I don't use the punches anymore (except for a few) because I use dies. I have a few alcohol inks and a few Color-bursts to try. I want to do more with them, but I won't buy more until I find I like it or not.

I definitely find myself staying SIMPLE.

Here's a link to Jennifer's video.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 03-04-2022 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 13 users liked this post by fionna51:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), cheermom (03-05-2022), Chinocookie (03-05-2022), ChrisO (03-04-2022), domesticdiva (03-04-2022), fl_beachbum (03-21-2022), Here and There (03-05-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-04-2022), kazeka (03-05-2022), lovinpaper (03-05-2022), lylacfey (03-06-2022), pepperann (03-13-2022), Ragtop (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #43  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Here and ThereView Post
Gold star for self control!!! I'm impressed. Be proud of yourself. Crafting purchases can become an addiction!!!
It's not that I don't have stamps I haven't used yet, but I will get around to them. (probably? :lolo It's the items purchased that end up not being useful at all that I give myself a demerit mark for.
Oh no, do not give me that much credit lol. I genuinely do NOT like to shop - not for clothes; not for home decor; not for furniture, appliances, or cars; NOTHING. My husband and I would rather take care of what we have and make it last then go shopping. We DREAD it lol, so much so that we'd rather own very little and take care of what we do own.

But if you ever witness me passing up a peanut butter cup or chocolate chip cookie, then you can give me a Gold Star for self-control because it would take a TON of that for me to pass those by!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by cnsteele:
cjzim (03-13-2022), Here and There (03-05-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-04-2022), pepperann (03-13-2022), Ragtop (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #44  
Glitter Guru

Received 854 Likes on 511 Posts

I guess it's kind of cool that I have things I haven't tried yet, as I get to shop in my stuff when I want to try something new. I have used some of my things for other purposes other than crafting. I have a craft heat tool (similar to the Fuse), and I had bought the Fuse attachments to use with it. I did make some little pockets for small stamps etc., but I also used it to cut into plastic when I was needing to cut down the size of some plastic objects. I am just trying to be careful about what I buy now. I won't buy the foil plates and not updating my die cut machines (still have the original Cricuts). I am using a glue with the foil and I love my Cricut. Although, the Brother Scan and Cut would be cool for cutting out images. I just don't want to spend the $, and I don't have room for it.
I did get rid of some of my punches, but kept some also. I shared some ribbon and washi, but still have some to use also.
I only bought Copics in the pastel and light colors, as they seem to be hard to find in other brands of markers. And I LOVE colored pencils.
I'm really enjoying reading what you all use and don't use. It's so neat how we all like different stuff, and the things we don't use that we have in common.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
kazeka (03-05-2022), lylacfey (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Foamiran.
MISTI corners.
Punch boards.
Wow, I had to look up Foamiran to see what it was! I have quite a few die sets to make 3D flowers but haven't tried them out yet. I think I'll just stick to card stock for my flowers to begin with. I've also considered buying an envelope punch board in the past, but ended up just using a regular scoring board to make mine. Not much room for larger tools in my craft room, so I try to make do.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
hoptownracer1 (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 09:23 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
I guess it's kind of cool that I have things I haven't tried yet, as I get to shop in my stuff when I want to try something new. I have used some of my things for other purposes other than crafting. I have a craft heat tool (similar to the Fuse), and I had bought the Fuse attachments to use with it. I did make some little pockets for small stamps etc., but I also used it to cut into plastic when I was needing to cut down the size of some plastic objects. I am just trying to be careful about what I buy now. I won't buy the foil plates and not updating my die cut machines (still have the original Cricuts). I am using a glue with the foil and I love my Cricut. Although, the Brother Scan and Cut would be cool for cutting out images. I just don't want to spend the $, and I don't have room for it.
I did get rid of some of my punches, but kept some also. I shared some ribbon and washi, but still have some to use also.
I only bought Copics in the pastel and light colors, as they seem to be hard to find in other brands of markers. And I LOVE colored pencils.
I'm really enjoying reading what you all use and don't use. It's so neat how we all like different stuff, and the things we don't use that we have in common.
My craft room doubles as the guest room (if you can call squeezing my daughter's old twin bed into a corner a guest room) so my space is limited. Even though I store stamp sets and supplies in nearly every room of the house, I never seem to have enough space. So I've resisted buying a Cricut (no where to put it, and I love my old Big Shot), envelope punch board (I use my regular scoring board to score the lines and start with an 8x8 sheet of paper), and foil plates. I won a set of foils and Thermo-web foiling products some years ago, but had to buy a laminator to use them. After using them one Christmas for exactly three cards, it all gathers dust. I need to pull it out again and give it another try.
This reminds me that I have a set of Color Burst powders, and actually love using them backgrounds, but haven't done that in over a year either. My gelli plate sits, unused, and I have only recentlyi begun to use my stencils in earnest.
Shopping my stash is my favorite way to shop these days. It helps justify what I've purchased in the past, and doesn't add to the clutter anymore than it already does. I'm never one to buy the newest thing anyway, so it doesn't bother me to use old products.
That said, I have enough stamp sets that I haven't used to keep me busy for the next several years. I tend to use certain sets over and over again, and forget to use the ones that aren't top favorites. My goal for this year is to pull those unused ones out and make at least one card with each set. If I find that I don't like the set after that, I'll give it away. I should also purge a lot of my old punches because I don't use them anymore, except for the basic and flower shapes. Sometimes it's easier to pull out a punch when I just need a few shapes, rather than go downstairs and use my dies.
I love hearing what people use and don't use.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I use my stamps and inks but I have my scan and cut tucked away because I just don't like it. I've tried multiple times and just don't care for it.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,837 Posts

I find I am very slow to use a kit. I have a kit from Lawn Fawn that is probably 2 years old now to add the lights to a card. I think I am intimidated about hooking the wires and getting it right, so it still sits there. I was really excited about a kit from Hero Arts with layering stencils, which I received in the fall and it hasn't been touched yet. I have another stamp set with a stencil from Taylored Expressions that I was so excited to purchase and play with, but I have yet to use them together. I think I like things that I have never tried before, but sometimes, I am very slow to try them.

I loved the JM video, Diane. I loved that she gave me the freedom to use what I like and not stress about what I do not like.

I like the foiling look. I received the Spellbinders Hot Foil Machine for my birthday two years ago. I finally learned how to use it last fall, and successfully made a few Christmas cards and mailed them. I have good intentions to use it, but I tend to stamp and color long before getting the items out to use that machine. I think I just need to put it on my calendar and not do anything else on that day.

I am currently not shopping for new craft items, so I keep using what is in my stash. I have a lot and there are still stamp sets that have not been inked. I keep finding items and using them, which really makes me happy.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
hoptownracer1 (03-06-2022), kazeka (03-05-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:20 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I just wanted to share something with everyone.

This morning (or yesterday) Jennifer McGuire shared something oh-so-helpful in her video. She was talking about a lot of things, but one thing really meant something to me. She said that she is not good at coloring images, and that she doesn't really enjoy it at all. Just not her thing. She said to not feel like you need to learn Copic-coloring if you don't like coloring. Or whatever trend is "the thing" at the current time. It gives me permission to ignore some things sometimes. Do what makes you happiest. A video well worth watching..
I think this should be the new mantra of the 20’s is to stop following trends. I did this years ago and I am so happy. I do not want pan pastels. I have no interest. I love to junk journal but have no interest in distress or aging. I think it is pretty but not my style. I love to color so I rather buy coloring tools that I love that are my style. I have no interest in the trendy ones. I am not into stencils. If I do stencil I use my SnC to make one. Most of the time I will only use the stencil once so it is silly for me to purchase it.

I love simple too.

No, I will not use Copics for stamped images. That makes me hyperventilate. Copics are for my professional work. I have a cheap set of alcohol markers I got on Amazon that I adore.

I do use my punch boards all the time. I am selective when purchasing them. Give me templates it is like Christmas Day for me. I have a box full of templates that is my happy place, lol.

I really love foiling. I researched professional foiling so I wouldn’t fall down the rabbit hole of craft foiling trends. I am so glad that I did the research.

hoptownracer I wish I kept my original Cricut. I am glad to have the Joy and Maker. Die cutting is my first paper craft love. Original Cricut was easy and fun. I have my Slice machine I still use all the time.

It is not paper crafting but I have tatting tools. Those little shuttles are seriously making me feel guilt. Those pom pom makers that every time I make a pompom with them they look like Animal from the Muppets. I do love pom poms. I did use them but now they annoy me, lol.

Last edited by lylacfey; 03-06-2022 at 03:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lylacfey:
hoptownracer1 (03-06-2022), pepperann (03-13-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 405 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Those pom pom makers that every time I make a pompom with them they look like Animal from the Muppets. I do love pom poms. I did use them but now they annoy me, lol.
This made me laugh out loud!! Animal. Lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Renata Joyner:
hoptownracer1 (03-07-2022), lylacfey (03-06-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #51  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow! This post really hit home for me. I've been reworking my craft room and trying hard to purge what I haven't used, but also found some things I'm really starting to use now. I had a Gelli Plate for about 10 years, still unopened, and someone in my card classes showed me what she had done with one. I watched a couple You Tube videos and we got together a couple weeks ago and spent a whole day making prints. Now I'm hooked and making my own papers to use on cards!

I found I haven't used: my binder for Technique Junkie newsletters and the CDs I purchased; most of my washi tape [and it gets old and doesn't stick!]; lots of ribbon and far too many stamp sets. I worked for 3 different stamp crafting stores and the discounts really added to my "stash". I also found going to conventions was a bad thing, as I'd buy what was demoed, then put it aside and forget about it... I'm now finding a few things I don't have a clue how to use!
It seems many of us belong to the same "club" of hoarders. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCountessView Post
Gelatos and Perfect Pearls - never used either.
Brass stencils - have a lot, but I haven’t used them in years. They will go to the next craft store “garage sale “.
Stencils - got carried away and bought a lot, but I have never used many of them. Need to play with them.
Colored embossing powders. Who needs them? It’s much easier to use clear over colored ink. I do use white, clear, and metallic EP.
I want to publicly acknowledge your kindness and generosity by thanking you for the awesome things you sent to me. I am so grateful!
Old 03-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #53  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by WELUVSTANGSView Post
I want to publicly acknowledge your kindness and generosity by thanking you for the awesome things you sent to me. I am so grateful!
You are very welcome, Angie. Now go forth and create!
Reply With Quote Likes
dini (03-11-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 06:07 AM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

lylacfey - I fell in love with my Slice machine, which was a birthday present from my brother Joe when I turned 50. It only worked a few years, and now cuts wonky. Every so often I grab it and try to use it, and it's 20 years old now.. When it was being phased out, I was able to purchase about 6 different theme/SD cards.. but as I said, it cuts funny. I have tried to calibrate it many many time... miss it. It was quick and easy. I still have my original baby bug Cricut, the green expression, and the special edition anniversary Cricut with the 4 pre-loaded carts. That too, was a gift from Joe.. never got the hang of it because it was digital, but I still try from time to time. It has cute carts in it, plus I can use my other 30 cartridges from the original and expression cricut. I love my Gemini Jr which I bought at the HSN Launch in Nov of 2017 and the mini Diamond Press in March 2018. Love die cutting !!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mac4551:
hoptownracer1 (03-14-2022), lylacfey (03-13-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:27 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Great topic, and there are so many of us who got/get sucked intp things that aren't our style - ugh!
Some things I have or had that I never use:
-I was given lightly used Cricut, never even touched it, it's just not my thing; gifted it to a young scrapbooker. That felt good : )
-Stickles; I don't have the patience to wait for them to dry and there is the "plop" factor.
-Colored embossing powders, which I am going to purge TODAY!
-Water color pencils and crayons; never have liked the results I get; I don't have the talent for them, I guess, and I love my Copics, so why did I buy those pencils? Probably because I watched an artist use them with great results ~ eye-roll; I am NOT that artist!
-Metallic Rub-ons
Pearl Ex - and I did have the gum arabic; stll too messy for me.
Glitter - did I mention messy?
Washi tape - perging that today, too!
- Too much ribbon because it's gorgeous but I rarely use it anymore. I grab it for wrapping gifts now; expensive way to wrap gifts - ugh!
-too much designer paper to use in two life times

One thing I have decided is to purge my stamp sets again (I did a big purge three years ago when we moved house). There have been a couple I've wished I had since, but that's all. I've decided to place a bunch of sets I haven't used in a long time in a box and stick them in the basement. If I don't pull them out within the year, they're going to the donate pile.

I'm so glad I read this thread today, it's gotten me motivated! Thanks to the OP and to all who chimed in.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cjzim:
cheermom (03-14-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
lylacfey - I fell in love with my Slice machine, which was a birthday present from my brother Joe when I turned 50. It only worked a few years, and now cuts wonky. Every so often I grab it and try to use it, and it's 20 years old now.. When it was being phased out, I was able to purchase about 6 different theme/SD cards.. but as I said, it cuts funny. I have tried to calibrate it many many time... miss it. It was quick and easy. I still have my original baby bug Cricut, the green expression, and the special edition anniversary Cricut with the 4 pre-loaded carts. That too, was a gift from Joe.. never got the hang of it because it was digital, but I still try from time to time. It has cute carts in it, plus I can use my other 30 cartridges from the original and expression cricut. I love my Gemini Jr which I bought at the HSN Launch in Nov of 2017 and the mini Diamond Press in March 2018. Love die cutting !!
I love die cutting too. I have the ScannCut, Cricut Maker, Cricut Joy, Silhouette Portrait, Slice, Spellbinders Platinum 6, WRMK Mini Evolution & the Sizzix Embossing Machine. I love them all.

I have the Pink Slice. I noticed the blade gets wobbly. I have to tighten the blade every few cuts then it cuts perfect again. I also have the magnetic mat. That really helps get nice clean cuts.

Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 08:33 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Some stamps, but I will get around to most of them.

A whole box of plastic see through bubble like things that are supposed to go over an image. think I might have used one right away, but never since and it's been years.

Gelli Plate, which I tried and tried and have gotten nothing useful or even remotely decent looking. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I don't care as I don't think I would use even some of the pretty things I've seen. Can make backgrounds I love and use much simpler ways.

Facinator. Like it, but never think to use it. It is also hard for me to place the "staple" where I want it.

Kandi Cane. Simpler to put a dot of glue down than drag out the stylus, plug it in and put it all away again for 3 gems.

Washi Tape. Never bought much, thank goodness.

Know there is more, but those are the ones that pop out. Surprisingly, I like and use many of the things others don't. Cord/twine, pearl ex powders, colored embossing powders look so much better to me than clear over colored ink. Also many things I never purchased that people say they don't use makes me happy I didn't bother.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
hoptownracer1 (03-20-2022), Paula in GA (03-24-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Some stamps, but I will get around to most of them.

A whole box of plastic see through bubble like things that are supposed to go over an image. think I might have used one right away, but never since and it's been years.

Gelli Plate, which I tried and tried and have gotten nothing useful or even remotely decent looking. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I don't care as I don't think I would use even some of the pretty things I've seen. Can make backgrounds I love and use much simpler ways.

Facinator. Like it, but never think to use it. It is also hard for me to place the "staple" where I want it.

Kandi Cane. Simpler to put a dot of glue down than drag out the stylus, plug it in and put it all away again for 3 gems.

Washi Tape. Never bought much, thank goodness.

Know there is more, but those are the ones that pop out. Surprisingly, I like and use many of the things others don't. Cord/twine, pearl ex powders, colored embossing powders look so much better to me than clear over colored ink. Also many things I never purchased that people say they don't use makes me happy I didn't bother.
Hmmm, never heard of those plastic bubble things, or the Kandi Cane. Looks like I dodged a bullet on those, haha! I remember seeing the Fascinator, and ended up even buying two boxes of the staple thingies that you use with it, on sale. Didn't even own the Fascinator but I think I thought I could push it through the paper and smoosh it down with something. Needless to say, never did. I have no idea what happened to those staples.

I'm with you on liking colored embossing powder, especially the metallic ones. Clear embossing powder over pigment ink has its uses, but doesn't pop the way colored EP does to me.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-20-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:52 AM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

“A whole box of plastic see through bubble like things that are supposed to go over an image. think I might have used one right away, but never since and it's been years.”

I wonder if that is the same thing I bought at a show years ago. It came in sheets, and, when placed the right way over a stamped image, was supposed to make the image appear 3D. Maybe it did, but mine is still unused.

Or maybe you are referring to the cabachons I also bought at a show ( although I think they are glass). They were round or oval. These got put over a photo or image for some fancy effect. Also unused. Her, I am remembering more and more things that are sitting unused!
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:05 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardCountessView Post
“A whole box of plastic see through bubble like things that are supposed to go over an image. think I might have used one right away, but never since and it's been years.”

I wonder if that is the same thing I bought at a show years ago. It came in sheets, and, when placed the right way over a stamped image, was supposed to make the image appear 3D. Maybe it did, but mine is still unused.

Or maybe you are referring to the cabachons I also bought at a show ( although I think they are glass). They were round or oval. These got put over a photo or image for some fancy effect. Also unused. Her, I am remembering more and more things that are sitting unused!
You are right on! I think I have the plastic, not glass, and they have all turned yellow. Time to get rid of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 AM   #61  
Inking Addict

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Good grief! I had no idea that the thing I have is called a Kandi Cane. I have used the gems with glue just for the reason you mentioned. I also have the Fascinator - in two sizes and a bunch of the staples.

Every time someone posts here I'm reminded of something else that's tucked away in some drawer. I have oodles of embossing powders and do like them.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by marilynmac:
DianeinSparks (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilynmacView Post
Good grief! I had no idea that the thing I have is called a Kandi Cane. I have used the gems with glue just for the reason you mentioned. I also have the Fascinator - in two sizes and a bunch of the staples.

Every time someone posts here I'm reminded of something else that's tucked away in some drawer. I have oodles of embossing powders and do like them.
Agreed on all points. The gems are lovely. What I did was give the Kandi Cane away and kept one of the ends, just in case. I can screw that, everything from my Hot Boss and my wood burner into the wood burner handle, so now I have one tool to do the job of the attachments of 3 different tools.

Love my embossing powders!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 11:27 AM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You are right on! I think I have the plastic, not glass, and they have all turned yellow. Time to get rid of them!
I bought a bunch of those plastic domes as well. They were kind of like giant enamel dots and had sticky backs. I did use a few of them, but unfortunately they yellowed over time and I'm sure ruined a lot of projects. They were actually suggested by the mfg as elements to use in scrapbooking, on photos. I can only be glad that I never put them on photos!! They were eventually discontinued by the mfg, and I remember writing to them and asking about the yellowing. They basically had nothing to say about that, but apologized and said they stopped making them. Someone sure messed up when it came to product design!
Oh, and I STILL have a few sheets of them that I couldn't bring myself to toss. I experimented with coloring them with alcohol ink, in the hope I could pretty them up. That yellowing affects the result but if you use blue on them, they turn a greenish-yellow, haha! Maybe I'll add them to a card or two.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Epoxy stickers or something like that? I remember having some of those and they were curling on the sheet. I never used them either.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dini:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:42 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Epoxy stickers or something like that? I remember having some of those and they were curling on the sheet. I never used them either.
Yes, those clear epoxy domed stickers! Mine never curled on the sheet...they just turned icky yellow! I have them in different round sizes, and I think they were also sold in square shapes. Total disaster.
I used one on an altered puzzle piece once, but not sure if I used them anywhere else. I should find that puzzle piece and look at it again to see how it yellowed.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by marilynmacView Post

Maybe now you'll pull out your Fascinator and give it a try again! This thread may just give us new inspiration to use those old, dusty items that have been hidden in drawers.
I always wonder what happens to all those tools and supplies that either go out of style, don't work well, or are too much trouble to use. I'm a person who hates to add to a landfill, so I try to donate what I can't use but there are some items that NO ONE will ever use. For instance, I have three sets of the old type eyelet setters where you need to use a hammer and pound away. Once I got my Cropadile, those went into a drawer. Not only do I have 3 of those, but then someone handed down a weird spring-type setter where you are supposed to put one end on the eyelet and puuuuullllll the springy part back, then let it go. It's supposed to bang into the eyelet and flatten it. Never tried it out, but who wants to bet it won't work?!
I can't even donate crazy things like that..sigh.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 12:02 PM   #67  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Karen,
I was at a crop in January and someone was hammering eyelets! It was very loud and honestly annoying! Get rid of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 12:06 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
Karen,
I was at a crop in January and someone was hammering eyelets! It was very loud and honestly annoying! Get rid of them!
haha! I remember when people applied eyelets that way at crops..what a din! I didn't think anymore still used those...or even used eyelets anymore (except for me). The Cropadile is silent...and that's how I like it!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by kazeka:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), desertdeb (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I had that spring-loaded eyelet setter too! I wonder if I still have it tucked away somewhere. I still do use the hammer ones.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

And I still am hoping eyelets come back! I have a pound or more of real brass eyelets, and I love 'em. The junky ones - yuck! The Cropodile awaits its call back to use.

(Who would have thought shaker cards would come back like crazy?)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by GypsyRoseStamper:
bobkitten (04-03-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 01:16 PM   #71  
Glitter Guru

Smile

LOL! I have those epoxy round stickers too! I hate to hear that they turn yellow. I've seen them used on some adorable cards; I hope it didn't ruin their cards!
Kazeka, I am interested in your experiment with epoxy circles! Maybe I can find another use for them.
I still like eyelets. I have some plastic sheets that I am going to make into storage envelopes. I think I might fasten up the sides with eyelets (just an idea, not sure yet). I have the Silent Setter and the Crop-A-Dile. Love the Crop-A-Dile.
Last night was going through some stuff, and came across templates/stencils that are made for 12x12 scrapbooking. I'm not doing that sort of scrapbooking anymore, and I have dies that easily replace the one template. They are too big to share due to shipping, so they are getting donated. I just shake my head at some of the things I come across that I will never use, but maybe it will be just what someone can use at the donation place.
I got the idea for the plastic envelopes from this video. I am using some super thick laminating sheets though, as they don't laminate things properly, but do laminate by itself, to make nice, thick, plastic sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), fl_beachbum (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #72  
Glitter Guru

I guess I could use an epoxy sicker (with a pretty image behind it) on the front of the clear envelopes, like she used a sticker on the front of hers. Could add that to my list of many things I mean to do! lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

I gave up on my Crop-a-dile Big Bite---forgot to mention that. I use the Click it tool or a hammer and the metal piece. I like using eyelets---on their own or with cord or ribbon through them. The Big Bite was just not ergonomically a fit for me. Could never see what I was doing while it sat on the work table and it was too large to hold in my hand to operate.

Now coloring those domed stickers, good thought, but not sure what I would use them on in that state. I have two sizes of round ones as well as oval ones. Some of them are actually pretty clear. Hmmm. Thinking.... Maybe they would make good legs for something. They wouldn't scratch the surface. Still thinking....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2022, 04:36 PM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I still like eyelets on tags but honestly forgot about them until reading this thread. (So thank you!)

Yesterday, I gave away a bag of different enamel dots and about a dozen stamp sets. Roughly half were of a style I no longer use; three were birthday sets that I have used so many times I would rather use other newer ones in my stash.The remaining were things I got from promotions and have never used and likely wouldn't. It felt good to pass them along and the friend who received them was so happy.

Thanks for this thread because it encouraged me to pull those things out and find a new home for them.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #75  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh, goodness! I had to get back on this thread and add that I'm also purging lots of rubber stamps, and it has hardly put a dent in my stash of stamps. Sigh. I also have lots of ribbon and hardly use it and a Crop-A-Dile sitting in the closet. I have a "ton" of those rain dots [little clear or pastel plastic bubbles that we used to put on cards, where we now use sequins or rhinestones] and don't know what to do with those. I still like brads and eyelets [and sometimes even hammer them]. I have a friend who creates the most beautiful Junk Journals and she is happy to take a lot of my discards. I also threw out 4 books of wallpaper and now find out she would have loved those! I didn't know shaker cards were back in style, so glad I didn't throw out my shaker windows. This thread is making me feel that I'm in very good company! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Mittens20:
fl_beachbum (03-22-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022), kazeka (03-21-2022), TexasGrammy (03-25-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 PM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

If you read any of my previous posts under mission organization you'd know I started the new year with a major craft room purge and condense project. I eliminated a lot of trendy novelty craft items that I bought and never used. I found and kept new items that I truly want to use, but just forgot I had them, lol..
It's amazing all the good stuff you find when you clean out.
  • I found new stencils and DO's unopened. I want to play with them making backgrounds with the latest colors.
  • Use the mini eyelets & brads, textiles & fibers, washi, handmade papers, specialty papers, alcohol inks, acrylic inks, acrylics, and so on....
Way too much to mention, but I'm sure someone else can relate.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bohodiva:
fl_beachbum (03-22-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 06:54 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I gave up on my Crop-a-dile Big Bite---forgot to mention that. I use the Click it tool or a hammer and the metal piece. I like using eyelets---on their own or with cord or ribbon through them. The Big Bite was just not ergonomically a fit for me. Could never see what I was doing while it sat on the work table and it was too large to hold in my hand to operate.

Now coloring those domed stickers, good thought, but not sure what I would use them on in that state. I have two sizes of round ones as well as oval ones. Some of them are actually pretty clear. Hmmm. Thinking.... Maybe they would make good legs for something. They wouldn't scratch the surface. Still thinking....
I don't have the Big Bite, just the regular Cropadile. A friend of mine got the Big Bite because someone told her she just "had" to have it. Nope, she didn't use it even once. Too big, too bulky, and heavy too!
haha, yeah, using those domed stickers might be good on chair bottoms. On the other hand, they would probably end up just falling off when you slid the chair in and out..argh!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
Bohodiva (03-21-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
LOL! I have those epoxy round stickers too! I hate to hear that they turn yellow. I've seen them used on some adorable cards; I hope it didn't ruin their cards!
Kazeka, I am interested in your experiment with epoxy circles! Maybe I can find another use for them.
I still like eyelets. I have some plastic sheets that I am going to make into storage envelopes. I think I might fasten up the sides with eyelets (just an idea, not sure yet). I have the Silent Setter and the Crop-A-Dile. Love the Crop-A-Dile.
Last night was going through some stuff, and came across templates/stencils that are made for 12x12 scrapbooking. I'm not doing that sort of scrapbooking anymore, and I have dies that easily replace the one template. They are too big to share due to shipping, so they are getting donated. I just shake my head at some of the things I come across that I will never use, but maybe it will be just what someone can use at the donation place.
I got the idea for the plastic envelopes from this video. I am using some super thick laminating sheets though, as they don't laminate things properly, but do laminate by itself, to make nice, thick, plastic sheets.
I used eyelets on some string closure envelopes that I made years ago and was so happy to be able to use the big eyelets on them. Unfortunately, the eyelets didn't hold up under use and tore out of the envelope after I used them a few times. Just be sure not to overload the clear envelopes if you make them because those eyelets usually can't take much pressure before tearing out. I have a tendency to overload my containers,,, so that was my problem. Adding a gusset on the envelope would probably really help to prevent that.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
desertdeb (03-27-2022), hoptownracer1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:05 PM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I was hoping to use the colored domed stickers as embellishments on cards. Kind of like giant enamel dots!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 08:43 PM   #80  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the info about the eyelets and envelopes Karen! I'll have to keep that in mind!
Reply With Quote Likes