Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #401  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here is what I don't get. I have (several times)left my e-mail. I never get a response of any kind from him when he is opening, or has opened. Evidently my orders are not very important to him. I think he is not a very good business person. Yes, I know...he has a family...he had a full time job...and so forth and so on. If you want to have your own company you have to work HARD at it. If it is too much for you, sell it to someone who has the time and desire to do it. And he is not doing this because he is such a nice guy...he does it for the money. I won't bother sending my email again.Thanks for listening.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #402  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
I think I just answered my own question. I'm guessing they go with Moroccan Nights.
Yes, you would be correct.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #403  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
So here is what I don't get. I have (several times)left my e-mail. I never get a response of any kind from him when he is opening, or has opened. Evidently my orders are not very important to him. I think he is not a very good business person. Yes, I know...he has a family...he had a full time job...and so forth and so on. If you want to have your own company you have to work HARD at it. If it is too much for you, sell it to someone who has the time and desire to do it. And he is not doing this because he is such a nice guy...he does it for the money. I won't bother sending my email again.Thanks for listening.
True that. I have done the same and have even said those same words to myself. I've even sent him emails directly and stopped getting responses but only after he got so popular. In the beginning, he was very good about sending Emails and answering them. Now, he opens and closes his shop in one day. He's gotten too big for the one man operation that I believe him to be. He needs help, he's even said that to me. So, I have taken to leaving a tab open to his store and going in every day to check it. My need/want of his dies are worth more than him ignoring his emIl because he's prioritizing his orders and getting the dies made. Truthfully, my disappoinent was more that he opened after several months with the same ol' stuff. I would have loved to see dies for Beautiful You or the monsters, just to name a couple. Where are the new dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2017, 08:54 PM   #404  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4ScrapsView Post
Dies by Dave is open. I just placed an order.
Thank you so much! I don't think I saw any notifications. Anyway, I placed my order. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 06:28 AM   #405  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dies by Dave site open again this morning. However, many sets have sold out. But still lots to choose from. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, especially to those like me that had waited months for the site to open. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #406  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,481 Posts

Closed now......................

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #407  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Does he close to update?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #408  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeisaJaneView Post
Dies by Dave site open again this morning. However, many sets have sold out. But still lots to choose from. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, especially to those like me that had waited months for the site to open. Good luck!
I'd never visited his site, so checked it out. It was open when I was on page 1 but closed as I was going page 3 or 4. Given that some items were still available, I wonder why. Maybe he reached the limit on what he could handle.

I couldn't tell what some items were, exactly, since there'd be a photograph - like of these two dogs on a swing - and a die set of a porch swing, dogs, etc. But the photo was of a real swing and real dogs.

Interesting in any case!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #409  
Cardstock Collector

Did a little research. Dies by Dave is being sued by SU for copyright infringement. You probably aren't going to be receiving any orders from him anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #410  
Cardstock Collector

AMENDED COMPLAINT against John Does 1-10 with Jury Demand. New Defendants: Elizabeth Hurst aka Elizabeth Terrell dba Dies by Dave. filed by Stampin' Up!.

It's on Pacer. Public record.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #411  
Watercolor Wizard

Actually doesn't surprise me.
I have to say though, that he doesn't make dies that compete with SU's dies. He makes ones that SU has chosen not to make in the first place.
However, it cuts out their artwork, so I guess that makes it a copyright infringement. I am guessing he won't have the money to go up against SU, and will be put out of business.☹️
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #412  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

That stinks. :( I know I've bought several SU stamp sets that I wouldn't have if Dave's dies weren't available to go with them. I guess I can understand him not being allowed to make dies for current sets, since that prevents SU from deciding to make dies to go with them later on. (Not that I think they ever would.) But surely there can be no harm in making dies for the retired sets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #413  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
That stinks. :( I know I've bought several SU stamp sets that I wouldn't have if Dave's dies weren't available to go with them. I guess I can understand him not being allowed to make dies for current sets, since that prevents SU from deciding to make dies to go with them later on. (Not that I think they ever would.) But surely there can be no harm in making dies for the retired sets?
Retired art work would still be covered by copyrights. Sometimes a cease and desist letter or other correspondence by an attorney or between attorneys could take care of the problem, but whether SU jumped right to a lawsuit or Dave's Dies wanted to fight isn't known I guess? And maybe his attorney would argue that the dies aren't copying the art work. I'm sure it's complicated or it wouldn't be in the court system. Really too bad. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #414  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something. But I think I am extremely disappointed in Stampin' Up regarding them instigating a lawsuit against Dies by Dave. For cryin' out loud. They must be a multi million dollar company by now. I just see him as filling a wonderful (for us) little niche, that we wanted.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #415  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just think that for as much as it's sure to cost in court and attorney fees, SU's money would be better spent on other things. Like maybe upgrading their inventory system or on IT people so the site doesn't crash on big event days. I'm going to assume SU has a good reason for doing what they're doing, though. So I don't have a really strong opinion about it. I just know I'll miss being able to buy dies from Dave.

Sad that people can make identical copies of the MISTI without getting taken to court and Dave makes dies that are outlines of SU's images and that's considered a copyright infringement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #416  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I just think that for as much as it's sure to cost in court and attorney fees, SU's money would be better spent on other things. Like maybe upgrading their inventory system or on IT people so the site doesn't crash on big event days. I'm going to assume SU has a good reason for doing what they're doing, though. So I don't have a really strong opinion about it. I just know I'll miss being able to buy dies from Dave.

Sad that people can make identical copies of the MISTI without getting taken to court and Dave makes dies that are outlines of SU's images and that's considered a copyright infringement.
A big part of taking people to court involves having the money to hire the attorneys to do it. SU obviously has the money to hire attorneys. Probably, (sadly) the gal who makes the Misti may not have the resources to hire attorneys and sue for infringement. And, I think the Misti is currently "Patent Pending" which is a different status than actually having a patent to defend.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #417  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Well, they can take other companies to court; it just takes deep pockets, and if it's another country involved in making a copy, good luck with that. :(

Maybe Dave's Dies won't be considered a copyright infringement. It is sad.

(Btw, I thought there was only one exact copy of the Misti, made in India. Others have some differences, some substantial - but isn't that the same for any product? It's starts with one person/company and expands and shifts and "innovates." Otherwise we'd only have one brand of anything.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #418  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElsaG75View Post
Did a little research. Dies by Dave is being sued by SU for copyright infringement. You probably aren't going to be receiving any orders from him anytime soon.
Somewhere in this thread it was said that SU didn't have any problems with Dies by Dave selling the dies so long as he didn't use SU names. Wonder what changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 AM   #419  
Matboard Maniac

And here is my thought on the subject of SU suing Dies By Dave. How come it took SU SO LOOONG to sue Dave? Seems to me if I were truly interested in suing someone who (at least according to me) was infringing on my products, I would have done it sooner than later. They (SU) let Dave continue to make money on their products? And yes, it has been said here that SU was alright with what Dave was doing. Hmmm, I wonder what the real story is. Have a great (and here, in little R.I.) snowy day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #420  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mheartmView Post
And here is my thought on the subject of SU suing Dies By Dave. How come it took SU SO LOOONG to sue Dave? Seems to me if I were truly interested in suing someone who (at least according to me) was infringing on my products, I would have done it sooner than later. They (SU) let Dave continue to make money on their products? And yes, it has been said here that SU was alright with what Dave was doing. Hmmm, I wonder what the real story is. Have a great (and here, in little R.I.) snowy day.
From what I could see of the court documents, the lawsuit by SU was filed in August 2016. They have just amended it to add another person.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #421  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
From what I could see of the court documents, the lawsuit by SU was filed in August 2016. They have just amended it to add another person.

Can you post the site to view these documents?

I did a google search and I could not find anything. Must be typing in the wrong info I guess. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #422  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Can you post the site to view these documents?

I did a google search and I could not find anything. Must be typing in the wrong info I guess. Thanks
Leslie, the website is a site where you pay to actually look at the court documents. I stumbled upon a page that you can look at free. It doesn't have much detail. If you want that, you have to join and pay per page. I think probably lawyers use it.

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/...Up_v_Does_110#

If the link doesn't work, google Elizabeth Hurst aka Elizabeth Terrell dba Dies by Dave.

That's how I found it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #423  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all about the money.

I know I read somewhere (on packaging, SU website, etc.) it specifically says that SU owns the copyright to the OUTLINES of their images. So that is how they're going after him.

I'm guessing they've tried to stop him before since he moved around from site to site (I shopped with him on 3 different platforms so far).

I too have bought SU stamps ONLY because I could get the dies from him. I still try to see what dies he has before I purchase any non-die stamps from SU. I don't understand how SU decides what stamps will or won't have dies. To me, personally, the porch swing would've been obvious.

I agree its a shame they are going after him but I do understand its their legal right to do so. I also agree SU should be spending their time and energy into making their internal infrastructure better and more efficient. Rules that are difficult to understand and need to be explained or corrected, inventory going on back order before its even officially released, highly-promoted product failures (I'm looking at you Blendabilities), frequent IT crashes, promotional items going on clearance before the promotion ends, and now changes in cardstock colors, that's a lot of issues to address and I'm sure I'm missing some. Don't get me started on the Demos selling current products by the hundreds for a lot more money on ebay; they know about them but don't do anything about them (if they're buying by the hundreds from SU then SU is making money so why go after them; he's buying 1 item so not much profit for them, there).

He's increasing their business and/or showing them where their business could improve; they should work with him or just learn from him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #424  
Glitter Queen

Default The Next Time the Site is Open...

I would love to know the next time Dies by Dave website is open. He's always responded to my questions that I rarely sent by email, asking if certain dies would be discontinued. He mentioned sometime last fall that he planned to discontinue some dies. He assured me those I was interested in would continue. But I never knew the site ever reopened.

I can understand how busy this business must keep him. I wonder if he's ever considered hiring help? Some small business people who didn't realize in advance how popular their products or services would be are not prepared to take the next step and hire help to keep the business flowing.

I'd like to see Dave and SU just "get along".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #425  
Watercolor Wizard

I actually asked him that question about a year ago. Well, I asked if he had considered hiring a high school kid to help with computer tasks. He said that he needed to answer emails by himself, but had indeed hired help.
Not sure what exactly they were doing, but.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 AM   #426  
Stazon Splitcoast

Site is OPEN this morning. Many dies are sold out but there are still some available, including the set that matches Lovely As A Tree.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #427  
Cardstock Collector

Site is open. Does anyone know what die "beach doodles" goes with?

Last edited by ttadae; 03-01-2017 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #428  
Matboard Maniac

I would like to thank TTADAE for the info on Dies From Dave (DFD) being open today. I was able to call my friend so she could see what was available and to order the Mistletoe and Candy Cane die that I have the stamp set for. I did notice a couple of things on his site today. One was the dies that are not showing an image of the actual dies but something a picture of similar (Ladies show some ladies but not the actual set that it would go with .) Since I spend a LOT of time looking at dies on line I also noticed he is offering some dies that are not related to any SU sets. I understand he is in business and can offer anything he wants to but I think his claim to fame is dies to go with SU sets that we can't get elsewhere. Anyway, thank for the update so I could get the dies I needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #429  
Polyshrink Goddess

Does anyone know if his lady dies goes with Beautiful You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:28 AM   #430  
Matboard Maniac

The "picture" that he shows (not the actual die) is of three ladies carrying totes so I'm guessing it is not Beautiful you. But I really am guessing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #431  
Polyshrink Goddess

The lady die set goes with a retired set called In This Together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #432  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you. I was hoping he would make one for Beautiful You. Just ordered that set in February.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #433  
Cardstock Collector

He's open again and restocked a few things. I picked up "Old Bones" for a friend (No Bones About It, according to this thread... I hope that's right!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #434  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for mentioning the Old Bones set. I could have sworn I had all Dave's Dies that matched the sets I have, but decided to check anyway. Turns out I didn't have that one, and I really like that set.So I was able to order it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #435  
Rubber Obsessor

Is Old Bones a Halloween set?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #436  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Is Old Bones a Halloween set?
According to a pp it is "No bones about it" which is the current dinosaur set. I really hope that's true, as that's what I ordered the dies to match!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #437  
Gallery Gazer

Does anyone have the dies for Lovely As A Tree and Perfect Blend that you would want to part with? Wish I had known about this site when they were available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #438  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mary Lee, I have Lovely As A Tree. I would be glad to let you borrow it, if you like. I've had it since Dave first came out with it, and haven't used it even once yet. Just PM me if you want to borrow it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #439  
Gallery Gazer

Pam, you are again too kind. Thank you so much for the offer, but I will try to find one to purchase or swap for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #440  
Kookie Creator

If you wait long enough, he'll probably come out with them again. Problem is, you have to time it just right or he runs out. The people on this site is pretty good about letting us know when he's up and running again.
Reply With Quote Likes