Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What monthly card kit

Is your favorite? I'm looking to subscribe to one. Thank you
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 59 Likes on 20 Posts

I used to subscribe to the kit from Simon Says Stamp -- it is a great value -- you get a full stamp set, often a small die, lots of patterned paper and card stock, sometimes an ink pad or paint brush or other goodies. They have detailed online instructions available and the kits come with a color photocopy of card ideas. These kits are especially good for card makers.

I am a current subscriber of My Paper Pumpkin. It is also a great value -- comes with a small stamp set, already cut papers, envelopes, ink, and embellishments, and clear instructions with photos along with online video tutorials. There are a variety of project types -- cards, treat bags/favors, calendars etc. Although I personally prefer the kits that are cards, it is nice to have the variety.

These are the only 2 kits that I have personal experience with. Both allow you to purchase one month at a time so there is not a huge $ commitment. Maybe you would like to consider purchasing one month of several different kits and see which type kit fits your style before you commit to a longer subscription?

(full disclosure -- I am a stampin' up demo -- but an equal opportunity shopper :-) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was going to sub, it would be to the new Hero Arts card kit subscription. They just started it, though have had kits for a while. Just beautiful, with high quality products, a die(s) in each kit, and so well thought out, with card ideas posted on line. I have the May 2016 kit and still use it.
https://blog.heroarts.com/mmh-kits/

You can scroll down to see past kits too. And if you select any of the example cards, you can read/see how they were put together.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-21-2017 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: left something out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 02:55 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

If you are not looking at auto ship clubs, I think the Gina K kits are a really good value and have bought many over the years. She releases a new one every other month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never subscribed to a monthly card kit. The new Hero club doesn't allow you to decline a kit if you don't like it. It would be extremely difficult for me to spend over $400 with one company and not have any say over what I was buying. If I ever did a kit club, I would want to look at the kit first and then decide if it was something I wanted to purchase. This advice might not fit your circumstances, but just my two cents worth;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I really like Simon Says Stamp for the reasons mentioned above--and because it's very easy to skip a month (or three) if I don't love what's in it. I was looking into the new Hero Arts club, but if it's a mandatory subscription, I don't think I'll sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
I really like Simon Says Stamp for the reasons mentioned above--and because it's very easy to skip a month (or three) if I don't love what's in it.
I didn't realize you could skip a month with the SSS kit subscription. I haven't seen this on their website. I haven't subscribed because I didn't want to commit to a kit I didn't like. How does their subscription work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

There are different types of mandatory subscriptions too. Some give a discount if you enroll for a set amount of time, so if you quit there can be a substantial penalty.

Others have no set number of months, but you need to cancel your subscription by a certain date or you'll get the next month's kit. Hero Arts fits into that category.

Some have dies, others don't, one contains only a large stamp set and idea booklet (a stamp sub). So I'd echo others in maybe trying kits without a subscription for a bit. SSS has them readily available. Hero Arts' kit is sold on the first Monday of the month unless a holiday. Hero Arts used to sell out quickly, has increased production, and if you mark it on your calendar, you should be able to buy one. If you get on mailing lists for any company you'll get a heads up.

I love the idea of a box of goodies arriving every month, and briefly subbed to a SB - though I don't SB - but there's no company with kits that reflect my taste every single month, and some companies never do, even though I buy other items from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
If I was going to sub, it would be to the new Hero Arts card kit subscription. They just started it, though have had kits for a while. Just beautiful, with high quality products, a die(s) in each kit, and so well thought out, with card ideas posted on line. I have the May 2016 kit and still use it.
https://blog.heroarts.com/mmh-kits/

You can scroll down to see past kits too. And if you select any of the example cards, you can read/see how they were put together.
That is a great deal!
$35 for just a stamp set and dies is a great deal!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoganView Post
I didn't realize you could skip a month with the SSS kit subscription. I haven't seen this on their website. I haven't subscribed because I didn't want to commit to a kit I didn't like. How does their subscription work?
The kit is revealed on the 14th of each month, and you're billed on the 17th. I set up payment through PayPal instead of a credit card, so any month I don't want the kit, I just send a note to their customer service when I receive the invoice, saying I'm opting out. Even if I don't have a chance to notify them, the bill isn't charged because I have to approve the invoice through PayPal. The customer service team there has been really great. I've been a subscriber since June 2015 and purchased about 8-10 kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I am not subscribed to any of them... ( I have an extensive collection)
but, I do from time to time buy the Hero Arts or the Simon Says stamp kits.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #12  
cms
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the card kits from the Stamps of Life. LOTS of product - 12 full sheets of cardstock, envies, stamp set, die, embellishments, 6 x 6 paper pad, and a Sizzix keeper large enough for the cardstock. I have never been disappointed with a kit!

The Stamps of Life - Join the Club!
Jimmie Johnson #48 fan! KS Jayhawk alumni!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 01:35 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
That is a great deal!
$35 for just a stamp set and dies is a great deal!
I agree. I think the kit components average $70+ retail if you bought them separately. Just znother thing to consider when kit hunting. Some companies Tell you up front, which is nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
The kit is revealed on the 14th of each month, and you're billed on the 17th. I set up payment through PayPal instead of a credit card, so any month I don't want the kit, I just send a note to their customer service when I receive the invoice, saying I'm opting out. Even if I don't have a chance to notify them, the bill isn't charged because I have to approve the invoice through PayPal. The customer service team there has been really great. I've been a subscriber since June 2015 and purchased about 8-10 kits.
Thanks! I like their kits but I didn't want to commit to a kit sight unseen. This is perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm currently subbed to SSS and Hero Arts. The kits for both this month are AMAZING! I opt out a lot for SSS. Someone on this forum was nice enough to tell me that you just don't pay thru paypal that month if you don't want it. So that is nice! I think I accidentally subbed to Hero Arts because my mom got the same kit this month but she paid over $40.00 and I paid $34.99. I got free shipping and I think it's because I subbed. I'll let it go one more month and then maybe cancel it. There was a time when I was paying over $100/mo in makeup sub boxes. Talk about a money drain! I canceled all of that and now I get my card kits :-). I have plenty of makeup samples for years lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I subbed to Simon Says Stamp this year and I already opted out Feb's kit. I'm not into cutesy, whimsical stamps so I hope they won't offer too many sets along that line. I missed out on some beautiful floral/nature sets last year and I hope they offer more this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 06:13 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I ordered the Queen & Co. kit for this month. It's an adorable kit for valentine's day and includes everything to make some shakers cards! I am supposed to get it today so will update you all with my thoughts when I have it in hand. Here is a link to check it out.....I just couldn't resist!

Heart Throb Kit - Free Shipping! - Queen & Co
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I ordered the Queen & Co. kit for this month. It's an adorable kit for valentine's day and includes everything to make some shakers cards! I am supposed to get it today so will update you all with my thoughts when I have it in hand. Here is a link to check it out.....I just couldn't resist!

Oh gosh... I just had to look. That IS cute! I will be checking back to read your thoughts on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Debbie,
That kit is adorable, and so versatile! I am also looking forward to reading your thoughts on the kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I noticed Spellbinders has a card kit too, as well as a die kit. The die club is $7.50 a month. I'm not subbing to any but it's fun to look and to see differences: https://www.makersmart.com/pages/clubs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2017, 05:34 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Hi Debbie,
How do you like your new Heart Throb Kit from Queen & Co.?! I am just about to submit my order and was wondering if you are happy with the contents! Happy crafting!

Last edited by bzzzeee; 01-28-2017 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I noticed Spellbinders has a card kit too, as well as a die kit. The die club is $7.50 a month. I'm not subbing to any but it's fun to look and to see differences: https://www.makersmart.com/pages/clubs
Tempting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

This blogger has a list of clubs: Master List of Monthly Card Making, Stamping and Die Kit Clubs - Kat's Adventures in paper crafting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
Hi Debbie,
How do you like your new Heart Throb Kit from Queen & Co.?! I am just about to submit my order and was wondering if you are happy with the contents! Happy crafting!
I sat down and really looked thru everything and ran the dies thru my machine and this kit is awesome!! Love it all! I will post a card I made later today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I sat down and really looked thru everything and ran the dies thru my machine and this kit is awesome!! Love it all! I will post a card I made later today!
Hi Debbie! Thanks so much for getting back to me! I can't wait to see your card! I peeked in your gallery and wow are you talented! So glad to hear you are happy with the kit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I subscribed to the Hero Arts monthly kit I got two, but I have just unsubscribed, not because they aren't awesome, but they charge $19.99 to ship to Canada, and when you add exchange rates, it is $75 a month which I am not comfortable with paying, especially when other companies such as SSS is $8.99 for less then $50 spent, and $7.99 for over $50 and Gina K I think is a flat rate of $6 to ship to Canada.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonic Crafts has awesome kit that includes exclusive dies and new products. It sells out pretty much every month they have started it back in October. Check it out https://www.tonic-studios.com/pages/kit-sold-out

Erica Sandwall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

hultenlk was describing Simon Says Stamp kits. I have subscribed for 2 years, and have bought only 4 kits. I like being able to see it first, because so many of the sets are too cutesy for me. If you don't want it after they email to you, just email to kitclub and they cancel it. I don't wait for PayPal to bill because it just saves someone some work if they don't bill me.
I have subscribed to Hero Arts for many months because of their lovely kits for Autumn and Christmas, 2016 (which I didn't get). I have not used even one of them, because none have been as nice as those. I sold them on Ebay and have 5 more to sell now. I just cancelled at the end of January, but was told you have to cancel the subscription by the 15th of the month. So I have another one now. If I miss out on something....Oh, well!
I have looked at the 3 Spellbinders clubs, but I really don't need anything else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I've been doing Stampin' Up's Paper Pumpkin for a year now and can honestly say I have liked 10 out of the 12 kits I've received. The ones I didn't care for, I disassembled and mixed together in a box. I've found I've reached several times for the box now to use on other projects. Plus, you can skip a month if you choose. I'm a hobby demo, but even if I wasn't, I'd still subscribe. The price is good, I like the kits and enjoy looking at all the alternate ideas on FB.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

The Simon Says Stamp kits sound like a nice way to be a part of a kit club while actually being able to purchase what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I have gotten and enjoyed the Spellbinders die club one a couple of times. It's a really good value for the money, and they are really stepping it up with their design team and guest designers on Youtube these last couple of months. I previously considered them to be more fussy and frou frou than my normal taste, but they have some really nice new stuff on their website. I'm a clean and simple girl at heart. The rewards program is good too.

Simon Says Stamp kind of went through a slump for me last year, and I unsubbed. The last couple of months, the kits were packed, and I resubbed in time to get the March one.

Paper Pumpkin has been more miss than hit with me. Generally their October, November, and April (anniversary month) kits are pretty good. I'm not opposed to picking those up as a one-off.

Hero Arts is pretty often a good value, but often not my style. I order it if it's one I really badly want. Honestly, I found myself spending extra to get the $50 free shipping. For that amount, I prefer to pick my own stuff, especially since the dies mostly cut around the stamped images. I use my Pixscan mat for that anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2019, 10:01 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

My 2 favorite kits are love from lizi and spellbinders. Great value, lots of product. At first I was hesitant with love from lizi because i just couldn't justify the cost of shipping. You pay for your 1st and last kit at the same time, and you can opt out if you wish. And the kit is just filled to the brim with losts of product every month. i have so much product now that i need to opt out due to finding room for all this stuff.

Spellbinders is also chalk full of product, and they really stepped up their game. I also find that after making 10 cards, i have tons of product left.

Hero arts is hit or miss for me. I know that it's a popular kit, but i was rather disapointed in quite a few kits this past year. it's very one note, every card looks the same kind of thing. I liked the italy kit this past spring, and the newest one with the lake is very cool. The roaring 20's one was a disapointment, as was the craft one. meh!

I have also tried scrapping for less card kit, and that one is very well priced and you get 4 different little "mini kits" within your kit each month. I cancelled just because i had too many kit subscriptions going on and one of them had to go

Pink & Main kit just wasn't my style, so I quit that one as soon as I could. I still have all three required kits that i was committed to that I didn't even touch. The colors were primary and bold, more intuned to make cards for children.

Simon says stamp is a big win in my book. They have adorable kits that I love, and if I don't love it, I will just pass.

WHen I am making cards, I need to make cards for things i need, ie birthdays, aniversaries, weddings, thank you cards, retirement cards, ect. I have a problem with kits that don't fit that criteria. for example: love from lizi had a travel themed card. I can see using it for scrapbooking, to document your travels, but to make a card for someone who is going on vacation? who does that? I ended up making Graduation cards out of that kit, you know, go and see the world now. Hero arts had the same problem with their crafty card kit. most of my friends and family and coworkers are not crafty,

therefore sending them a crafty card kit was not applicable. I'm sure lots of crafty folks has crafty friends that they send cards to, so that particular kit just wasn't for me.

I have yet to try Queen &Co or MyFavorite Things card kits, but they intrigue me.

bottom line the winners for me in order are : Spellbinders, Simon Says Stamp and Love from Lizi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Fran’s Frantic Stamper has kits packed to the brim, along with instruction sheets for six cards, and of course they can be used for inspiration rather than being followed exactly. I only bought the first since I don’t do well with kits, but was very impressed. Her customer service is also top notch.

Frantic Stamper Monthly Card Kits
Reply With Quote Likes