Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: block saving to Favorites until comment left
YES! What a great idea! 26 9.77%
NO! Totally dumb idea. 196 73.68%
maybe - the idea needs a little more tweaking... (please leave suggestions) 15 5.64%
unsure - wanna think about it... 29 10.90%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about this idea... ?

I've seen some threads about why some cards get lots of comments and some not so much., and I have to say it still absolutely baffles me when I see a card with not so many comments, but it has been 'favorited' LOTS. What's up with that?! Personally, I ALWAYS comment on a card that I am saving. I figure if I like it enough to save it, I ought to take a minute to comment on it.

So what's my idea, you say? (and I'm not even sure that it can be done - that's a question for the computer gurus in charge):

what if you were blocked from saving something to your favorites until you left a comment

Do you think that would be a good thing or not?

Now I know sometimes we all get busy and sometimes SCS has technical troubles that make leaving a comment a little more time consuming (although that doesn't happen all that often due to the AMAZING folks running the show here!). So, don't you think it is only right have to leave a comment (assuming it can be done) if you like something enough that you want to save it? Just my 2-cents...

(now putting on flame-retardant clothing... )
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think that would be a good idea. For me, sometimes I only have time to hit the favorites button before one of my boys takes a header and hits the hardwood! Most often, I get back and leave comments, but not always. I definitely appreciate having the option to do them separately.

Personally, I think having my card *favorited* is just as good as a comment. I view it as a comment from a busy person or someone with dialup -heehee! Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfan
...Personally, I think having my card *favorited* is just as good as a comment. I view it as a comment from a busy person or someone with dialup -heehee! Just my humble opinion.
That's the way I feel, too.

I put things in my gallery to share -- no strings attached. The views, and comments, and being favorited are just bonuses!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. I kind of don't like it but I sure see the reason for it. I don't have a gallery so have never had anything commented on or favorited. But I have put lots in my favorites that I haven't commented on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

subscribing cause i want to think about it.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

many times i browse on my lunch and because of time constraints i have on occasion put one in my favorites and was unable to comment. i consider favorites very flattering. i have one card in my gallery with over 1000 views, 43 comments but has been "favorited " 85 times ! LOL it is all in the eye of the card holder. perhaps an individual decision as to whether you can block a favorite on your own gallery if that person doesn't comment, then you can control the favorite and comments individually.personally i like it just fine the way it is. it's nice someone even viewed it!{my two cents} LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 02:03 PM   #7  
Sassy Shani

I think it is a FANTASTIC idea. If you have time to add it to your "faves", then you can take the extra 10 seconds to comment on the artwork.
Chances are pretty high that you are adding it to your "faves" to case it at a later time right?
So you can at least comment on why you have added it and take the time to thank the artist for the inspiration :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

I don't think that is really that big of a deal. I am flattered that people put my cards into their favorites and I LOVE comments, but you can't force someone to leave a comment on something if they don't feel like it or don't have time. There are also people who complain if you don't leave a more detailed comment than "cute", "beautiful", etc. This site is for sharing your work. There are no rules on what you "have" to do into order to save something to look at it later. Enjoy the flattery of being favorited. I think it was nice of Daven to give us that option to view how many people have put our creations into their favorites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm finding your comments and different perspectives really interesting, so thanks for sharing them. Really though, I'm thinkin' I liked it better before the "favorited" stats were added. That way, I didn't know how many people liked my stuff enough to save it, but didn't take those few seconds to tell me why! Just me, I guess. Seems like most folks are happy with the way things are (so far in the poll, anyway). Like I said, interesting...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

It's kind of sad when a card has been liked enough to be favorited by several, but has no comments. That being said, I definitely wouldn't be in favor of blocking favoriting until a comment was left. I know that sometimes I have time constraints and I favorite without a comment. I do try to get back to those cards and comment later though. People have busy lives!

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 03:29 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

I love the favorited feature. I never thought before that anyone would favorite any of my cards- so I take it as the extreme compliment if someone has.

I love when people take the time to comment on my card, but it means even more to me that they are saving it to refer to later. They can do both, but I don't think I should expect them too.

What if they are trying not to type so they don't wake up a baby, or are on dial up and have limited time? Commenting could take a long time.

Nope, I don't think blocking the comment feature is a good idea. (Although I have to say, I don't think it is a "totally dumb" idea either. Every idea is at least worth thinking about)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

It isn't a big deal to me either. I try to leave comments when I favorite something, but sometimes I don't. Sometimes I'll be going through someone's gallery and will favorite many of their cards, but I don't leave a comment for each and every single one.

Personally I think that the mere fact of favoring something is the ultimate compliment because it means someone might want to recreate, or use some ideas. If people are forced to comment, you'll get a lot of "nice card, nice colors." Those are nice comments and all, but if it's favorited I already know they think it's a nice card. When someone has the time to tell me what they like about my card.. that's wonderful, and I love it, but I can't expect it because I know it takes time, and I know that for a lot of us we grab it when we can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:16 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

We are all adults here and although it is nice to receive affirmation, to me, forcing me to leave a comment before adding it to my favorites feels something like grade school where every child must receive a ribbon, there are no losers, and every piece of work is given praise.

The # of times a picture is favorited is listed on the item. For the most part, all comments are very short and pretty generic e.g. "love this card" or "so cute". I just don't see how mostly receiving generic comments is so much more flattering or affirming than knowing it was favorited.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I wouldn't think of faving and not leaving a comment..
I always comment first..i want it to go into my faves..i hit the button..go "p" or let the dogs out, or let them in, or whatever..come back it's all done..comment and all..
so yes i think a good idea..i like to know what was liked about my card to fave it..colors/ layout/ stamp? It's kinda nice to know..as always just my own opinion..thx for lestening.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I wouldn't have used the word "dumb" for the idea -- but I don't particularly like it. I agree with those of you who feel that either a comment or being favourited is just great! I feel complimented by someone choosing to "keep a copy" of my creation, to refer to later, to look at again, to be inspired by -- maybe even more than by a quick comment. But hey! I love both!

Sure it would be nice to know why it was faved, but sometimes I fave something exactly *because* I can't identify what the special something is that appeals to me, and I want to save it to go back and consider that. Then, of course I do leave a comment, but if I were blocked from saving/faving it, I'd probably just move on without doing either.
Just my 2 cents...no flames intended :-)
--Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

IMO, I would much rather receive an email notice that my card was favorited as well as the one we get when it is commented on. I don't have a lot of cards in my gallery, but I was shocked that one of them had more favorites than comments. I would have never known had I not gone into my own gallery to check.

So for me, an email notice sent to me when someone saves my card in their faves would be super, and the person doesn't have to leave a comment if they have time restraints.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Honestly, I often go through the gallery just to comment on cards that don't have any comments yet. However, I frequently choose to favorite other cards that already have a gazillion comments. Although I occasionally comment on these cards, I don't necessarily feel obligated to because I felt my time was better spent on cards that didn't have many (if any) comments. Just my own way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I usually comment when I favorite, but if searching for ideas, sometimes I run out of time. I then go back, usually, when I can. We all have free will and can't be forced to comment or it would then be fake. I do think it is polite and important to comment if you choose to favorite.

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.--Winston Churchill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Wouldn't it just end up where some people would just write "cute" or TFS or something just to have left a comment? It wouldn't be a sincere comment. I'm not saying that those that say "cute" are insincere, I'm only saying that if you are forced to leave a comment many people will write the shortest thing possible.

I'm in agreement with those that feel that it's an honor to have their card favoritied. If people feel compelled to also give me a pat on the back in the form of a comment, then great.

Just my 2 cents.

Sandy

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

When I put card into my favs it is to share it with others or to use it for inspiration in my own cards. Lots of times I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said. If I was forced to leave comments then I probably wouldn't have any favorites. Or would over use the word...ditto.. Time is also a factor for me. I think if a card has been favorited by someone...then a comment has been made.. the card made enough of an impression on that person to them to keep it in their favs.

Dianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #21  
Montague Mingler

Sorry, I know this is an older post but I just found it and had to comment! I cannot understand someone liking a card enough to fav it but not leaving a comment! I try to comment on any card I really like and always on one I'm putting in my favs! I don't know if it would be right to block favs without comments (might scare some people away!) but I can see why it would make sense!

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

totally agree.
iam so fustrated that i dont even upload most of my stuff anymore.
why even bother???
people ask for instructions and want my time to explane things but do not have a few seconds to write a comment????

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstampinfoolView Post
I'm finding your comments and different perspectives really interesting, so thanks for sharing them. Really though, I'm thinkin' I liked it better before the "favorited" stats were added. That way, I didn't know how many people liked my stuff enough to save it, but didn't take those few seconds to tell me why! Just me, I guess. Seems like most folks are happy with the way things are (so far in the poll, anyway). Like I said, interesting...

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

on the other hand... not allow people to add your card into favorites ???? i dont know if this is a great idea????
i think i have more a problem with the "favorited" so many times feature

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I favorite a LOT of cards! I try to go back and post a comment later, but I don't always have the time. If I were "forced" to leave a comment, then they would probably all say "CUTE" and that would be it. Of course, then someone wouldn't be satisified with that, and then they would want to require that you leave detailed comments......see where this is going? LOL! No matter what you do, someone won't like it......

The more we thank, the more we discover we have to be thankful for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

i said NO, but not because i think it's a dumb idea! i just don't think it's necessary. it's just going to add one more step/click/whatever to the mix and some people have slow computers... shoot- this site even gets wonky a lot lately!
Really, IMO, everyone just needs to appreciate either form of flattery w/no strings attached!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekgirl415View Post
i said NO, but not because i think it's a dumb idea! i just don't think it's necessary. it's just going to add one more step/click/whatever to the mix and some people have slow computers... shoot- this site even gets wonky a lot lately!
Really, IMO, everyone just needs to appreciate either form of flattery w/no strings attached!
I agree with what you have said.

Also--sometimes I favorite a card when I don't have time to comment--then come back.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I say No also, I don't need to be validated for every thing I do. It is nice when people leave comments but not always necessary.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes I favourite a card but don't comment until way later after I've cased it, and then my comment would be "I liked this card so much I cased it". I've been cased twice now to my knowledge, and the feeling of being cased is super wonderful to me so I like to let the original creaters know that I cased their card (I also link their card when I upload my case).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I have also voted no on this. I don't understand the need to have comments or the favorites justified. When I make a card and upload it it is because I want to share it. It is a card I was happy with. If I was blocked from saving cards to the favorites, I probably wouldn't bother with a comment. It feels like I am being forced to do something I may not have had time for or any eloquent words describing why I liked a card.

I love this site just as is. Daven and everyone else does a super job.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess that I tend to think of any of my cards being favorited as compliment enough. I'm not saying that I don't like comments, but I guess I don't really need that for validation. Maybe being favorited IS validation for me since I was just thinking that I'd much rather someone mark my card to show up in their favorites than have a simple comment left and not favorite the card. (Am I talking in circles?)

Also, by requiring someone to leave a comment... that might really cut down on cards being added to favorites. I'm guilty of not leaving a comment sometimes because I'm either short on time or my comment would be redundant with other comments left.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

I voted 'no' but I understand where you are coming from. I am sure the comments are nice but it is a huge compliment that someone has "favorited" your card. It means someone has YOUR card in their personal library. WOW! People are really busy and sometime you just don't have time for everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

I don't know really what to say. First I didn't know that there was a fav button and that you got an e-mail that said it was put in somebodies fav's. I guess I have always said that I was adding it to my favs before I do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #33  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

I comment on each card that I favorite but I realize not everyone has the time or inclination to do so and to block the favoriting untill a comment is left is way too controlling for my liking, even though I agree with wanting a comment if my card is favorited. Thanks!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

The way i look at it.. most of the people that are saying they don't have time to do both, because they're at work or waking baby(typing is not that loud).
But yet those same people are chatting in a lot of the threads(posts) etc.
To me that takes a lot more time.
I always leave sincere comments in all that i see in the gallery..i have dial-up..and am a very slow typer..but i like for the person to know what it is about their card that stood out to me.
Why bother going into the gallery at all then? Just my own opinion..no argument please.
loves ya

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:04 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

sometimes i feel like MY comments are kinda 'cookie cutter'...
they almost always refer to the colors or the layout.

BUT- that is what catches my eye. so please don't be offended if you get comments from me that seem to say the same thing. sometimes there is more i want to say- but usually i love the colors or the combination of colors.

i get all giddy when i have been favorited!

of course i live being commented on as well.

but i don't always have time to leave coments...
so other times i sit down to only comment... and this seems to be the times i 'discover' a new stamper to stalk.

i love this place. comments or no... i keep coming back. to each his own and if your getting out of it what you want then good deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #36  
Sassy Shani

WOw.....way to smack down to OP's opinion. NOT cool.
Quote:

Originally Posted by geekgirl415View Post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Why "force" people to leave comments? I would like all the comments on my work to be sincere. A "favorite" to me is just as good as a comment.

I truly appreciate all comments that anyone takes the time to post, but it's not about numbers to me. =o)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #38  
Sassy Shani

VERY well said!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz_n29View Post
The way i look at it.. most of the people that are saying they don't have time to do both, because they're at work or waking baby(typing is not that loud).
But yet those same people are chatting in a lot of the threads(posts) etc.
To me that takes a lot more time.
I always leave sincere comments in all that i see in the gallery..i have dial-up..and am a very slow typer..but i like for the person to know what it is about their card that stood out to me.
Why bother going into the gallery at all then? Just my own opinion..no argument please.
loves ya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
WOw.....way to smack down to OP's opinion. NOT cool.
Shanon- read again! She said that it's "NOT because she thinks it's a dumb idea" just that she doesn't like the idea. I think she phrased it that way because that's how the OP phrased it in the poll. You can't select "no" you have to select "no, totally dumb idea"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

to me.. being favorited is better than a comment.. it means.. it's a good enough card that someone wants to look at it again!
Reply With Quote Likes