Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to listen to the radio as I create. Music helps, but TV is distracting for me. I like the music blasting when I clean my house too! I don't have to have a clean house to create though!
My desk top must be sort of cleaned up before I stamp. I have one of those nice large teflon sheets to stamp on, so I have to have that much space cleared off.
I drink Crystal Light, and keep it a distance away so it doesn't spill on stuff!
For some reason I can't eat and create at the same time. Believe me I have tried!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do I need? I need to turn the computer off! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

clean area, kids asleep haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I've been thinking about this question since I 1st read it yesterday and I can't think of a single thing that I need or that I do every time I am going to stamp something.

There is barely room to make 1 card on my desk so I know it's not a "clean area", lol ;)
and I don't have a TV in the room, no radio either.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
I *think* what I have finally decided for me to be able to craft....is for school to start back LOL
I know that'll make a huge difference for me, too !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like to stamp in the morning the best but definitely in the day is better for me. My room has two long tables and the one I work on is in front of a window. I like the natural light. I turn the radio on as soon as I go in my room. I like chocolate when I'm stamping. I don't care if I have chores to do or not. If I want to stamp I do. I work hard at keeping my house nice so I don't feel guilty if I stamp. If I go to stamp and I can't get the mojo going I just leave my room and go back another time. Playing in the challenges helps the mojo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1974View Post
Some actual talent might be REAL helpful....anyone know how I can come by some? Don't worry-rhetorical question asked by idiot crafter/stamper.
I bet your very talented. I think you might have "I could never do that" syndrome. You know that syndrome looking at all the cards done so beautifully with Copics, stamps are perfect, etc.... Then you set down and your MoJo went out the window. You start doubting yourself instead of feeling inspired. Most of us have been through it. I am a long time crafter I still feel this way from time to time.

Don't worry about those beautiful cards. I found a little secret recently. A friend told me about this lady that she actually has somebody else make her cards and submits them under her name so she can stay on a Design Team. She pays this person to do it. Makes you wonder who is really creating those cards doesn't it?

If I submitted my cards they would have little boo-boos all over them, lol. I like my mistakes. I don't use all the items that are trendy. Not because I don't like them. The trends out right now are not my style.

Grab a stamp and let your imagination take you where you want.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I bet your very talented. I think you might have "I could never do that" syndrome. You know that syndrome looking at all the cards done so beautifully with Copics, stamps are perfect, etc.... Then you set down and your MoJo went out the window. You start doubting yourself instead of feeling inspired. Most of us have been through it. I am a long time crafter I still feel this way from time to time.

Don't worry about those beautiful cards. I found a little secret recently. A friend told me about this lady that she actually has somebody else make her cards and submits them under her name so she can stay on a Design Team. She pays this person to do it. Makes you wonder who is really creating those cards doesn't it?

If I submitted my cards they would have little boo-boos all over them, lol. I like my mistakes. I don't use all the items that are trendy. Not because I don't like them. The trends out right now are not my style.

Grab a stamp and let your imagination take you where you want.
She pays someone to make her cards?? Oh my goodness - I can't imagine such a thing! What would be the point?!

And about the boo-boos. . . I was just looking at one of my favorite magazines, Stamper's Sampler Take Ten, and there were boo-boos on quite a few cards in that beautiful magazine! Sentiments crooked, poor cutting on cardstock, etc. I wasn't looking for mistakes - but they can be glaring.

So keep in mind ~ even some people considered very talented also make the little oopses now and then! I tell myself that every time I stamp something a little crooked ;) .

Angie, it would be so fun if you could find some other stampers to get together with!! And if you ever see a thread here asking whether you design your own layouts, etc., or do you CASE (copy and share everything/with everyone ... I've heard different meanings) -- you may be surprised to find the huge percentage of respondents who rarely if ever design on their own.

There is also a site called Card Positioning Systems (CPS) and here is a link to past sketches they've had: Picasa Web Albums - Tami Mayberry - CPS Sketches

Whatever it takes to jump start your own creativity - go for it!!! A ton of stampers have started out the same way. I think for my first few cards I used the samples in my first SU catalog.

Most of all -- ENJOY!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to revise my initial answer. I NEED to be away from interactive craft forums. The past week, it seems like I'm doing more chatting about stamping than actual stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #50  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1974View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! Believe me, I don't have the slightest idea what to do with Copic markers, (I want to learn) and I sure don't stamp perfectly!! I can't even tell you how rarely my stamped images turn out. I'm ok with rubber stamps, but I have recently acquired a bunch of clear ones and what fun those are! NOT!! I am so new at stamping/cardmaking that I have only designed some of my own cards. There are a lot where I look at the general sketch and take it from there with different colors/patterns/stamps/embellishments, etc. You have to learn somehow, I guess. I have never had the chance to hang out with other cardmakers or stampers, so I basically have to guess at what I'm doing. I do read magazines to try and figure out different techniques. That is so hilarious about the lady who pays someone to make her cards, and then submits them under her own name! I'm definitely not judging, but I'll own up to my work, mistakes and all. Otherwise, why bother and what do you learn?!
I have nobody in my circle who stamps either. I mainly have all guy friends who are either car guys or gamers. They love my crafting but they don't know the first thing about it. My DH crafts but he does not stamp. I had to learn everything on my own. I did what you are doing you know read the books, magazines, hang out here. It has gotten a lot easier for me to stamp now. It used to take me a week to make one card. Now, I can make a card in an hour or less. I think not having anyone to stamp with I have developed my own techniques. I am sure if some of the Pro stamper's here saw me they would either think I was extremely trendy or downright weird or maybe both, lol.

Clear stamps are evil. I only have a few sets. You can do all the tricks and tips in the world with them and it's like a lottery if they stamp right or not. A lot of the experts will tell you it's the quality of Polymer the stamp companies are using. I had some expensive stamps that just sucked and I have cheap stamps perfect image the first time. If I started stamping when acrylic stamps came out I would probably have given up, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 05:50 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

TV, coffee and candy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
. . . .. I am sure if some of the Pro stamper's here saw me they would either think I was extremely trendy or downright weird or maybe both, lol.

Clear stamps are evil. I only have a few sets. You can do all the tricks and tips in the world with them and it's like a lottery if they stamp right or not. A lot of the experts will tell you it's the quality of Polymer the stamp companies are using. I had some expensive stamps that just sucked and I have cheap stamps perfect image the first time. If I started stamping when acrylic stamps came out I would probably have given up, lol.
I wish you had some cards in the gallery -- I love so many different styles that I doubt I would think they were trendy or weird !!!

Have to disagree on your statement "clear stamps are evil" although the sheer confidence of your wording did make me smile!!

I'm no expert on anything but of all the clear stamps I've purchased (and I won't admit how many) . . . only one set was bad, bad, bad. Some of the very best stamps I've ever used are clear. And I've had rubber that didn't stamp well for a variety of reasons. They can have imperfections as well. Just my 2 cents ;^) .

And there's one more thing I NEED for stamping. Time!!! Lots more of it!

(this doesn't count. . . it's my morning cuppa time after being up super late last night)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnieuView Post
I really like to stamp when I am alone at home (hubby out doing something etc).

I'm so grateful that I'm not the only stamper who feels this way! We're both retired and home a lot, but I can't stand it when he interrupts me while I'm designing a card or working with a stamp set for the first time. Unfortunately, he needed knee surgery last month and has played golf much less this summer. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I wish you had some cards in the gallery -- I love so many different styles that I doubt I would think they were trendy or weird !!!

Have to disagree on your statement "clear stamps are evil" although the sheer confidence of your wording did make me smile!!

I'm no expert on anything but of all the clear stamps I've purchased (and I won't admit how many) . . . only one set was bad, bad, bad. Some of the very best stamps I've ever used are clear. And I've had rubber that didn't stamp well for a variety of reasons. They can have imperfections as well. Just my 2 cents ;^) .

And there's one more thing I NEED for stamping. Time!!! Lots more of it!

(this doesn't count. . . it's my morning cuppa time after being up super late last night)
Clear stamps are evil, lol! The big thing is a lot of new stampers are so tempted by the Michael's $1 clear stamps. They are so hit and miss. It's all so confusing when your a new stamper trying to figure out what all this photopolymer and acrylic stamps really mean. Which ones you should buy and how you should use them. Makes you want to curl up in a ball and forget about stamping forever. You are so lucky with your clear stamps. I have some clear stamps that are really expensive and they were a nightmare. I have a JoAnn's $1 clear stamp that is perfect image every time. I have two stamps sets from the same company, came out at the same time. One sucks the other is perfection. See, evil stamps, lol.

I know what you mean I have traditional rubber stamps I like to throttle too.

This month I have been asked by at least nine members here where is my gallery or I need to start one. I post over at Craftster. Since Craftster and SCS are owned by the same company I always think I am going to be redundant showing off my creations. I need to start a gallery. I think it would be fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, DeeAnn!! It is an evil thing when our hobby, our play-time, is messed with by products that don't live up to our expectations!!!

I never even heard of Craftster!!! Guess I'll have to check it out :^) ! Hope you do start a gallery here (I've neglected mine as well in favor of blogging, but really need to step it up).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good challenge to inspire me, some Coke Zero to wake me up and some tunes on!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I generally need a challenge, a deadline, or the inspiration of someone else's gorgeous creation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #58  
Glitter Guru

I definitelyneed a deadline to kick my creativity in gear. What little there is of it. I just need to clear a space on the desktop to stamp. I usually end up with a space about a foot square. But a deadline is the motivator.

Or a really fascinating technique I've never tried.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes