Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you look for in gallery surfing?

I find that I will usually search for "CAS" when I'm going through the galleries looking for ideas for cards.

I don't say this unkindly, but so many of the cards in the galleries are way over the top in the type of cards I make and the CAS postings often fit my tastes to a tee.

Do you find yourself searching for specific types of cards?

wanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Not sure what CAS means. I tend to prefer simpler designs without pounds of embellies, but I usually search by stamp set, then by # of comments. If I have more time I will just browse through all of them. If I like the layout, but want to simplfy the card, I eliminate layers or embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually click on today's additions on the top right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

ellesart--CAS means "Clean and Simple"

Wanda--

When surfing the gallery, I usually just go to the "Today's Additions" link on the home page. From there, I page through and click on the ones that really "pop" for me. Those are usually the ones with lots of layers and embellies, distressed looking cards, or anything that says "shabby chic" in the title, because that is the style that appeals to me. There are rare times when I search out a specific gallery, but that happens on occasion--usually if there's a stamp I have and want to see what other people have done with it. Otherwise, I don't have that much time to do more than just look at the day's new cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I find myself looking at the projects under Anything But A Card a bit more. I am always amazed by what some people can come up with.

The cards can be great for an idea, I usually see something and then my mind runs with that. Lately though it has just been running to post its as a sketch. I need to spend sometime stamping it out and see how it looks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Clean And Simple

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellesartView Post
Not sure what CAS means. I tend to prefer simpler designs without pounds of embellies, but I usually search by stamp set, then by # of comments. If I have more time I will just browse through all of them. If I like the layout, but want to simplfy the card, I eliminate layers or embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimb0View Post

Wanda--

When surfing the gallery, I usually just go to the "Today's Additions" link on the home page. From there, I page through and click on the ones that really "pop" for me. Those are usually the ones with lots of layers and embellies, distressed looking cards, or anything that says "shabby chic" in the title, because that is the style that appeals to me. There are rare times when I search out a specific gallery, but that happens on occasion--usually if there's a stamp I have and want to see what other people have done with it. Otherwise, I don't have that much time to do more than just look at the day's new cards!
That's why there are apples and oranges :>)

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post

wanda
Yep, I go for SUO (Stampin' Up! Only) in my gallery searches -- I'm a demo and don't want to sift through dozens of uploads of Bellas, Unity and PTI to get to the stuff I can actually show customers.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I usually search for CAS, but I'll also check out member galleries for companies that I like. If I participated in any challenges, I'll check out those keywords.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I started out for a year only surfing Stampin Up because I mainly have all SU sets. I would use the search option and just type in Stampin Up. The last few months it's been CAS, then the Stampin Up gallery. Lately I haven't surfed for cards....just check in to General Stampin Talk a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Wanda--

That's my MO also! The cards that I click are usually ones that have CAS lines or colors or papers that appeal to me. I'm not especially fonf of SU-only cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by IriseyesView Post
That's my MO also! The cards that I click are usually ones that have CAS lines or colors or papers that appeal to me. I'm not especially fonf of SU-only cards.
Me too!! Although I will look at anything that appeals since I'm not a demo, and if I like it, I'll look at it. Some days there are a ton of cards that I like, and other days nada.
Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually I check out today's additions, and if I click into a particular card to get a closer look, it will either be:
*colour scheme I like
*SU stamp set I have/want (no Bella's etc for me either)
*layout I like
*see what technique or embellishment looks like close up.

If I check a gallery, it is usually looking a stamp set I want an idea for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I like the clean and simple cards too. I normally skip the cards in the gallery that have lots of flowers or embellishments as I rarely make a cards like that now. (I went through that phase a while back but have grown tired of that look.)

Seems like a nice CAS design is much harder to pull off, but I like the way my cards look with simplier layouts and relying only on the stamped design with maybe one embellishment added.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I search for CAS or PTI (Papertrey Ink). I just wish when I searched for PTI it would come up with just the cards made with PTI stamps, too many people use their paper and those come up in the search. So I tend to search for PTI stuff by the stamp set name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also look through Today's Additions and simply look for those that catch my eye. When I'm doing a challenge, I'll look through that gallery. I like rustic, textures, and wonderful colors and contrasts. Unusual or really different designs will catch my eye too.
Flowers and flourishes are great, I love them, use them, and probably always will--however if a card has too much of that, my eyes tire of it and I don't notice it as much. Clean and simple can really catch the eye because my eyes may blur over too many look-a-likes.
I love cards with a scene or expresses a feeling of nostalgia. Vintage scenes catch my eye a lot too. I like Wildlife and nature too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

In general, I just cruise thru "today's additions" (unless I'm looking for something specific..like a stamp set, 3D project etc) and click on the ones that catch my eye (and the reason varies along with the mood as to what will catch my eye!! LOL!) BUT! I do try and leave a comment on all the cards that I do click on for a closer look. I figure if it caught my eye enough to want a closer look, than I can take the time to comment.
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
I search for CAS or PTI (Papertrey Ink). I just wish when I searched for PTI it would come up with just the cards made with PTI stamps, too many people use their paper and those come up in the search.
I know! Or they just use one small PTI sentiment. I hate to ask a stupid question, but can you search keywords only? I usually give credit to PTI for the sentiment in my description, but then I won't put PTI in the keyword unless I use mostly PTI stamps (same for MFT-I use a lot of their sentiments, too).

Have you ever tried looking for Rubber Romance stamps?!? Quite a tedious task.

As to answer the original question, I do subscribe to a couple SU stamp set galleries and peruse those every other day or so just to see if there's some fresh ideas. Otherwise, I've been trying to stay out of the gallery...I notice that the less cards I see, the less stamps I "have" to have! When I do take a gander, I look at today's additions and click on anything that catches my fancy, and I also try to click & comment on some cards that have 0 comments just to give some SCS love. I also try to repay every comment I receive, so I spend a chunk of time one day a week visiting lots of different galleries, which is fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually look in the gallery for specific inspiration when I'm having trouble with a particular DP or stamp set. That's usually how I narrow my searches.
Or if I need ideas for a holiday, gift, etc.

Other times, if I have time to kill, I look through the recent gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Kimb0, that's my gallery-surfing protocol, too--well, except for the "not much time" thing. The more embellishments, the more I want that card! One other thing I search for regularly is in the category of "anything but a card", coz I'm learning so much new paper-stuff here.

CAS is definitely not my style--although I think the cards are BEAUTIFUL when done by someone who DOES have that style. My attempts at CAS are just pitiful and plain looking to me! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Challenge galleries because I play along most days. And then the day's additions. There's never time to look at them all, but I get though some, and click on the ones that catch me. That can be anything and everything - layouts, altered items, different styles of cards. The only ones I tend NOT to take a closer look at (unless there is a lot else about the card to really draw my attention) are stamps that just aren't personally my thing. But even then, while I don't like the House Mice, for example, there is more than one of them in my Favourites.

for Meg - it used to be that you could use Advanced search in the gallery, and choose whether to search keywords only, comments, all fields. But when I tried just know, it seems to be broken. Keep an eye on it, I am sure it will be fixed some time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah, What is up with the search function?

Sometimes I search for a particular set or situation (sympathy) A lot of times I follow a link from an interesting post. Like now I could piggyback off Sabrina, "my gallery" Often once I start it is a follow the breadcrumbs to the card next door or the details on a blog or Many sending to my friend and our comments and planning of how we could CASE the card using what we have..

Thanks to all the generous artists in the gallery for sharing their work!

Betsy

OH! My other favorite is to read the favorite threads on Sundays. There are a lot of breadcrumbs there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually surf through "today's additions", but yesterday I typed in the name of my SU designer papers and found many cards I could case. I printed off the ones I really liked and put them with the pack of designer paper. Previously I've purchased DP and it just sat there. Now I now what to do with it. I love the search feature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I search whatever stamp set I am using at the time, or a designer paper combo card
if I'm using this months SU special (I'm not a demo, so not selling a product)

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Many times I just do today's additions. Other times I'll search CAS. And sometimes, just for fun, I will pick a noun (any noun) and punch it in. It's fun to see what comes up when I do that - usually fun stuff that missed on the first go around.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
I know! Or they just use one small PTI sentiment. I hate to ask a stupid question, but can you search keywords only? I usually give credit to PTI for the sentiment in my description, but then I won't put PTI in the keyword unless I use mostly PTI stamps (same for MFT-I use a lot of their sentiments, too).

As to answer the original question, I do subscribe to a couple SU stamp set galleries and peruse those every other day or so just to see if there's some fresh ideas. Otherwise, I've been trying to stay out of the gallery...I notice that the less cards I see, the less stamps I "have" to have! When I do take a gander, I look at today's additions and click on anything that catches my fancy, and I also try to click & comment on some cards that have 0 comments just to give some SCS love. I also try to repay every comment I receive, so I spend a chunk of time one day a week visiting lots of different galleries, which is fun!
Ooops, sorry that is definitely me. Even if I just use a sentiment from a company (and many times it is PTI), I give them credit under stamps and in the keyword. I rarely ever use just one company's stamps on a card if I've got more than one on there and I've always thought it was polite to give them all credit in the keyword section.

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I think surfing the gallery is like looking in the shoe department. Everyone has their preference of what they are looking for in style, designer and season as well as other functional criteria that is "solely" at the discrimination of the shopper. Sometimes I look at shoes that I know I would never wear, but something about them caught my eye and , for a moment, I am captured by them. Generally, though, I look for what fits, is comfortable and is my "style". Just like my gallery surfing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post

Try using Rubber_Romance. When I'm putting in keywords for sets with two words or more, I'll always use the underscore. It narrows the field a lot .

Hmmm - obviously not enough people do that - it doesn't bring up very many. But it cuts out all the rubbers or romances not combined. Maybe people should be more aware of how much it helps.

Last edited by Cook22; 05-22-2009 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Gosh, I didn't realise how much it narrowed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I usually just search for the stamp set I am using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Challenge galleries because I play along most days. And then the day's additions. There's never time to look at them all, but I get though some, and click on the ones that catch me. That can be anything and everything - layouts, altered items, different styles of cards. The only ones I tend NOT to take a closer look at (unless there is a lot else about the card to really draw my attention) are stamps that just aren't personally my thing. But even then, while I don't like the House Mice, for example, there is more than one of them in my Favourites.

for Meg - it used to be that you could use Advanced search in the gallery, and choose whether to search keywords only, comments, all fields. But when I tried just know, it seems to be broken. Keep an eye on it, I am sure it will be fixed some time.

I'm with Sabrina, in that I view the challenge galleries and then today's additions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Try using Rubber_Romance. When I'm putting in keywords for sets with two words or more, I'll always use the underscore. It narrows the field a lot .

Hmmm - obviously not enough people do that - it doesn't bring up very many. But it cuts out all the rubbers or romances not combined. Maybe people should be more aware of how much it helps.
Thanks for the tip! Although now I can't remember if I actually used the underscore or not in my card. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My MO......click on the latest additions, check out the thumbnails...if something takes my fancy I right click on it and load it into another tab, and I check it out ...I do try to always leave a comment if I do this.

I have been known to search by stamp company but this is pretty rare for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

After reading everyone's comments, I'll now have several new ways to search the galleries. Y'all already got me looking up by stamp set--which means that NOW there are two more sets I want to buy! Thanks a lot!

But I really like the idea about typing in a noun and seeing what pops up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
I find that I will usually search for "CAS" when I'm going through the galleries looking for ideas for cards.

I don't say this unkindly, but so many of the cards in the galleries are way over the top in the type of cards I make and the CAS postings often fit my tastes to a tee.

wanda
I'll admit that cleverly executed CAS designs always have the most appeal for me, when casually surfing the gallery.

That said, however, I usually go into the gallery on a quest to find an idea for something very specific, like "fish". I wanna see how many different ideas people have done that feature a "fish", in hopes of finding something unsual/striking to my eye.

Then, as I go, I usually click on the CAS thumbnails that are well-photographed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use this link that gives me the last day's CAS SUO and SUM cards.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I'm probably missing a lot of good cards but this way I take my time and I'm able to leave comments without feeling overwhelmed by too many cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by starView Post
In general, I just cruise thru "today's additions" (unless I'm looking for something specific..like a stamp set, 3D project etc) and click on the ones that catch my eye (and the reason varies along with the mood as to what will catch my eye!! LOL!) BUT! I do try and leave a comment on all the cards that I do click on for a closer look. I figure if it caught my eye enough to want a closer look, than I can take the time to comment.

I do the same thing. I favorite cards that inspire me or ones with small little details like a ribbon folded and placed in unusual way that I have never seen before and would like to try. I do not like cards which are heavy on the layers. I want to give someone a card not a book, lol! I leave comments once a month, I take a few hours and leave comments of items in my favorites. I will leave a comment on some cards immediately if I love it but I am not going to fav it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I usually click on today's additions on the top right.
Thats what I do as well. If I like the look of the card, I will comment & favourite it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I look at the company galleries that I purchase from because to me, it is overwhelming to me otherwise ;) make sense?

But, sometimes, I will also look at random cards and items to get an idea of what I am needing ideas for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

When I read the OP's question, my first thought was "what makes you click on a picture to look at it more?"

I was thinking what JulieHRR was thinking...Style first, but the quality of the photograph (or scan) is very important. If it is too dark, or too washed out, it doesn't do a good job of catching the eye.

With 1300-1500 posts per day, and browsing the daily additions, there isn't time to check out every possibility. I look at what catches my eye...and they have to jump right out at me.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #40  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I like to click on today's additions in the gallery and then click on the last page and look foward. That way I have the chance to comment on some great cards that get missed and have 0 or very few comments.

When I look at the card, whatever style or stamp company it is, I look for ideas that I can use - great color combinations, layout, or certain way of embellishing.

I will also look by SU stamp set - either as research to see if a stamp set that I like is really worth buying - is it easy to make lots of nice stuff with it. Or I will check out the gallery of a stamp set I have so I can get some more ideas of how to use it.

I will also sometimes search by challenge if it's a challenge I'm interested in or participated in. This is because I want to see what other ideas people came up with the same initial criteria! Then I learn lots of new things!
Reply With Quote Likes