Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you charge for cards?

Hi - I'm holding a table at a craft fair in a couple of weeks and was wondering what the "going" rate was for selling your own cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 04:18 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I just asked someone who sells their cards this question and was told $3.00 a card and she includes an envie that has been stamped also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 04:25 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it depends where you live...Up here in NYC, I sell my cards at $3. a piece but if I personalize it with a name using my Quickutz I charge $5 (those are ordered in advance for b-days or special holidays..) Have fun!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

At garage sales I only charge $1.00 for cards. These are ususally cardfront that I have recycled from swaps though.

I think you can easily get $3-4 depending on the accessories you put on the card. But if you think volume vs. price (Did you see the Apprentice last season I think with the shirts?) you might come off better at a lower price like $2.

I find that to make cards usually costs between 25 to 50 cents and if you don't figure in a demo discount (didn't know if you were a demo or not) envelopes cost about 18 cents each. Very rarely do I make those cards that cost me $1 in materials. So I think you have to find your comfort level and decide what your goal is for selling....will you be happier to sell fewer of them at a high price or do you want to sell more at a lower price.

Good Luck!!
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:24 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It totally depends on where you live. I know demos in my area who make really nice cards with lots of layers & embellishments and can't even get $1 for their cards. They've tried lots of different craft shows but everyone seems to think the cards were over priced at $1. You can't even get a really good Hallmark for $1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I charge $3.50 each or 3/$10. Everyone goes for the 3/$10! I also package them in sets and discount to $2-2.50 each but I find that I sell many more of the individual ones.

These all tend to be time-consuming, many layered, embellished cards.

HTH!

--debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:39 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I was originally charging $1 per card including a coordinating envy. I was told that was too cheap, so I asked around my customer base and was told $2 was too high, but they would be willing to pay $1.50, so that is where I am. I average about 4 sold each week. I have only been selling them since the end of June (I just started demoing in May), so my customer base is small.
Edited to add: My cards are usually very simple, not a lot of foo-foo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell them for $2.00 - $3.00 depending on any/how many embellishments and pieces of designer paper was used. Most end up at $2.50. All of my pocket cards have ribbon and eyelets and are more labor for me. I sell them for $3.00 each.

I know of a person living in the southwest who is selling them for $6.00 each!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 07:30 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I sell most of them for $2 each or 4 for $7 including the envelope. I also have notecard sets packaged in sets of 4 for $7. I tried selling sets of 6 or 8 but they didn't move so I keep it to 4. If someone wants 8, they just buy 2 sets! These are all on a card spinner with 96 pockets. I have the specialty cards like pocket cards and spinner cards, etc in a different basket usually for $3 each. HTH.

I agree with boulderstamper about considering volume vs price. I sold NONE when I charged more than $2 for the standard cards and now I sell a TON at the $2 price point. I am able to cross sell pretty easily with my pillow and blanket gift sets for babies and kids. I usually make a card that matches every set I have. They want to buy that card, of course. Then, they will usually buy another handful or so.

The card spinner made a HUGE difference in sales versus having them in baskets or boxes!

The last thing is if I get a large order for 25, 50, 100 cards (usually invitations or announcements), I give them a price break to $1.75 a card. Since it does usually take WAY less time when you make a large volume than just a few. HTH too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

I personally don't sell them but another demonstrator in my area (WV) she sells hers for 2-3 dollars a piece.

child of GOD, mom of a one year old, wife of a hansome electrician, and addicted to stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I usually sell mine at $1.00-$1.25 a piece. I have found that if they are any higher people just don't wanna pay that. Shaking my head...and people go to Hallmark and pay $3, $4, and $5 for a card. Go figure...

My blog:
http://weebeestampin4fun.blogspot.com/

Featured Stamper #153 on SCS-January 10, 2010
Merry Maker for the Merry Monday Challenges-April 2012-April 2016
Guest Designer for the SCS Color Challenges-May 2013
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2005, 11:22 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Selling Cards

You might want to search for the answer to this it's on the top dark blue bar third in from the right. There have been several interesting threads about this. What I got from them was helpful to me. I haven't sold any cards yet but I plan to try at some point in time in the near future. For me the base cost is probably going to be at least around $1.00 I took everything I generally use into consideration inks, stamps, adhesive, envelope, paper for the card itself, paper for the layers, and embellishments (ribbion, brads, eyelets, etc...). I figure it takes about a dollar for all of these things oh I'm also planning to put them in nice clear bags so that they don't get ruined while people are shopping. It all adds up in my opinion. Some people have said to charge for your time as well because it does take your time.

Bah if people aren't willing to pay $1.00 for some of your cards ladies tell them they can go ahead and go to hallmark and buy something. I think that's cheap of people and I know there aren't that many nice cards for cheap. I think your underselling your talent if you do that. But that's just my opinion I've seen lots of talent here and if people are too cheap to realize it then the cards are better off for personal use. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't ever sold any (yet!) but I had a co-worker approach me yesterday and ask me if she could buy 2 from me! I told her yes. Today she asked how much (before I found this thread!) and I told her $2. She said, $2?!??! I said, yeah, is that too much? She said, "No way! How about $3?" LOL...she talked me up! I said, "How about 2 for $5?" LOL...we agreed on that! Now I know that $2 is NOT unreasonable!

www.kristisetzer.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I have sold cards to friends and relatives for $3 with no problem, and $4 for the really elaborate cards. The $3 ones have at least one or two embellishments on them, and a stamped envie to match. No one has balked at the price. I don't think the materials are very much, but the TIME invested is huge. I've seen handmade cards in specialty shops going for $7 and $8! Not that I would pay THAT, but somebody must! LOL!
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes