Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What comment has warmed your heart?

I just finished reading through a thread of horror stories about card making and papercrafting. So, I thought I would start a new thread about comments that have been made to you about your work that just warmed your heart.

Here's mine:

I play in my church orchestra and at one Christmas party at our orchestra director's home we were all talking and my director said something about birthday cards and "Judi will sit down and make you one in an hour". His comment was to say that he knew the love, time and attention I put into each of my cards and that he appreciated the effort. We all laughed because it's true, I could buy one a lot quicker, but it wouldn't be from my heart. I just love that man!

My hubby and family are the same way. They love me and my cards.

Merry Christmas to all!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 05:50 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great idea for a thread!

Basically any positive comment warms my heart! One of the most special came from the husband of a couple who received one of my Sympathy cards...it made me feel really good when he oooh'd and aaah'd over it. I certainly never thought a farmer in his 60's would take an interest in a handmade card.... You just never know who will be touched by your art!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I was the one that started the card horror stories and all of the stories crushed my heart and I was thinking about starting a thread like this! I am so glad you did, it's uplifting and reminds us why we love to make cards and what spurs us on

I'll have to think about a nice comment made on my cards, I didn't get too many when I first started out, but I did get one last night from my best friend - Who's actions started the card horror story thread- LOL
We went to a holiday boutique at someone's house that was offering many companies and products to buy from. One of the booths had someone who was selling stamps and cards. I stopped to talk to her and comment on them. My friend later said:
"Did you see her cards? Yours are way better! Why would she sell at a boutique when she's not that great yet?" I felt bad about it and said we all have to start somewhere But it warmed my heart

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

This would have to be a couple of weeks ago when my husbands co-workers grandmother passed..he came home and asked me to make a sympathy card for him. I said " I have some in my stash of store bought if you want ( from before card making) " he wouldn't hear of it. He has told his co-workers about my cards and wouldn't "dream" of taking a store bought..

hehe..made me smile
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Amanda, I'm so glad to hear that she gave you a wonderful compliment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Every nice comment warms my heart.... the best was probably one of those "considering the source" comments, LOL!!! From this person, it was huge:

"You MADE that?!?!"

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think out of all the nice things said or done was the card I received from a soldiers wife. I had sent him a box of 250 cards to share with his unit. He sent a card to his wife. She sent me a picture of her, four little tiny kids and her husband that was taken just prior to him being deployed. She was grateful for the cards I send and was so gracious in her thank you. That picture touched my heart...I have gotten many thank yous and I have a file of them from different service men and women but that particular one I will never forget. It always makes me smile.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I made a golfing card for a friend who was celebrating his 85th birthday and gave it to him at his party. He looked at it and said thank you. The next day he called me and said he had time after we left to sit and look at it, and was so impressed with it. Made me feel happy that it was appreciated so much.
Also, when we first moved to our neighborhood, the man across the street was in the hospital. I made a card and sent it to him. I spoke with his wife and she thanked me for the card. He eventually came home, but died a few years later. We have now been neighbors for 14 years and she still mentions that card and how impressed she was with it. I was a fairly new stamper at the time, and I do remember it. It had birdhouses on it. Positive comments really do feel good.

Friendship is the golden thread that binds our hearts and souls together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

My boss still has a card sitting on the wall divider in the office where everyone can see it. I gave her that card for her birthday in May! She points it out to everyone who comes in, STILL!! That thrills my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make the cards for the Sunshine Club at work. I had a coworker say she was so happy that she was having surgery, because it meant she would receive one of my cards.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

My friend framed cards I gave her as a gift because she said they were too pretty to give away. another friend bought cards from me specifically to decorate her office at work. I feel blessed whenever one of my cards makes someone happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

My DH's boss is a rather gruff guy...Not one to express much in the way of nicey, nicey...

Usually my Christmas cards are out by the 1st of December, Wednesday he told DH his 2 favorite times of the year were his birthday and Christmas when I make him cards! Was Christmas late this year? LOL

He got his card Thursday!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

I made a sympathy card for a couple who lost their wonderful dog. They said they loved it and both cried when they read it. Warmed my heart that a simple card would touch them that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"When you care to send the very best"....I think applies to all of us who make cards, because a piece of us goes in the envelope with it.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
"When you care to send the very best"....I think applies to all of us who make cards, because a piece of us goes in the envelope with it.
Mary, I so agree with that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

What a happy thread! I think the most heart warming compliment I received was from my niece when she first saw my stamp room. She gave an ohhhh and said "This is where the magic happens." I just love her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I made a sympathy card for a neighbor whose Mom had died. She thanked me on my facebook wall and said what a lovely card it was and then her husband chimed in on the thread and also commented on how nice it was to get a handmade card (he used the word hand-made). I was so happy about that. I have also gotten some nice comments in my gallery here at SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

My ex BIL has a secretary that says that her Christmas starts every year with the anticipation of my handstamped card... Love that! Needles to say, she gets the best of my creations each time.

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had a couple of those moments recently.....

We had a neighbor who lost her husband. We don't know them well, but I put a sympathy card in her mailbox a few days after he passed. She took the time to write me a thank you note. I still feel good about the gesture.

This week I was at my son's school volunteering when another parent who knows I'm crafty came up to me cracking up about something that had happened earlier that day. She's very good friends with our school librarian. I give the librarian and my son's other "extra" teachers a small handmade treat bag every year. Apparently the librarian passed the treat bag along to this lady with a new treat in it in a gift exchange the two of them do each year. The lady said to the librarian, "oh, I have to show Sonya this creation--she will just love it! Do you mind if I take it and show it to her?". The librarian had to fess up that she originally received it from me/my son...so I probably knew what it looked like! The fact that she reused it to bring a smile to someone else made my day. So glad it didn't get tossed after the treat was gone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 368 Likes on 205 Posts

This an awesome thread. I make cards to make people feel good, and when they comment to you about it, it"s icing on the cake. About a year ago one of our neighbors passed away. I made a very personal sympathy card for the family.. The widow actually called me to thank me for it, and that she had taken it and had it framed. I will never forget her kind gesture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Every time my DH says that if he'd made a card like (last card I made) he'd tell the world it makes me feel happy. He's very supportive and likes much of what I make, but I always know when he doesn't really like one, and he lets me know when he really, really does. Only then he won't let me send it to anybody. Not even three or four years later, sigh...what else are they for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by housefullofrottiesView Post
What a happy thread! I think the most heart warming compliment I received was from my niece when she first saw my stamp room. She gave an ohhhh and said "This is where the magic happens." I just love her!
Oh, this gives me chills! What a sweet way to look at it. Yep, it's where the magic happens for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I'm getting teary-eyed just reading all the precious comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

I send "thinking of you" cards to a lot of the elderly ladies (I guess I fit that description now) at the church where I used to work. I like to let them know that I still think of them fondly. I got an email from one of the ladies telling me that I must have known that it was the anniversary of her dh's death & she really needed that little pick-me-up. I hadn't even known about it being the anniversary so a little angel must have been whispering in my ear when I made the card.
My favorite comment on one of my cards was from my fil. We never really talked much, but he seemed to love the cards I made and sent to him the last few years. Last year he told my dh that my Christmas card was his favorite of them all. He just loved it. He died a few months later and I was so glad I'd given him a few moments of happiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #25  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

timely thread. On Saturday night the family was in our small downtown for a special festival. We were wandering around in the shops when my 14 yo son spotted a hand made piece of jewelry. It was a clear pendant with an image behind it. I have never made anything like it, but my son said, "Oh mom you could make this and it would be even nicer than this". I didn't realize he even paid attention to my crafts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
timely thread. On Saturday night the family was in our small downtown for a special festival. We were wandering around in the shops when my 14 yo son spotted a hand made piece of jewelry. It was a clear pendant with an image behind it. I have never made anything like it, but my son said, "Oh mom you could make this and it would be even nicer than this". I didn't realize he even paid attention to my crafts
We never know who actually notices and appreciates our efforts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I still can't believe this! I took my cousin to get some clothes for her kids for Christmas and she brought along her 15 year old son. I showed her my "stamp room" before we went to the store. Little did I know when they got home he went into great detail about how cool my cards were to another guy, her friend's husband, who wishes he was "family" so he could get the cards like I send all of them. It just gave me warm fuzzies knowing he took notice. (I know I need to send "Michael" and his wife a card. Not just for family, especially this time of year.) You just never know where a compliment will pop up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

I sent cards to a woman with alzheimer's and at one point, mine was the only name she remembered-even though she had never met me. Maybe because I sent so many. She could barely write any longer, but her mother helped her pen a letter and draw a picture of thanks for me.

It still overwhelms me that my cards meant so much to her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Also, I send cards to an organization called Birthday Card Buddies (I send cards all year long). It's a home for severly mentally/physically challenged individuals. Most of the residents are long time residents.

One of the recipients of my cards passed away. The woman who organizes the volunteers, sent me an email saying that when his family showed up for his belongings, they were very happy that someone had been sending him cards during his time there.

I thought it was one of the most thoughtful emails I had ever been sent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much to everyone who has shared these lovely stories!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

What a wonderful thread! I've been sitting here reading all the comments with tears in my eyes...and my heart feels like it's about to burst with joy!

Thank you, Judi! Merry Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am loving these stories! We don't realize how many lives we touch.

I'm much more of a sewing enthusiast than a stamper, but one year for Mother's Day I made my mother a card. I taught ribbon embroidery, so I made an embroidered heart and flowers on a piece of silk for the middle and watercolored around the edge. Inside, I wrote about what sewing meant to me; my hobby, my passion, my refuge, etc. and then I said it was all because she took the time to show me how to embroider when I was 8 years old. She kept that card on display for several years, until her death. I have it now and love the memory of how much it meant to her.

Another elderly family friend is very wealthy and could buy anything she wanted, but also appreciates and knows the value of handmade things. Last spring, I made her a card for her 95th birthday, and she said it was the most beautiful card she'd ever received. Quite a compliment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Two of my granddaughters (12 and came and spent a weekend with me earlier this year and I made them Smash Books. They had the best time decorating them. Every time I noticed them missing I found them in my craft area adding more embellies to their books. At first I was a little hesitant to let them have free reign in my stuff but I looked around at how much I had and knew the enjoyment they got from doing it and just let them have at it. They live 3 hours away so I only get to see them a few times a year. They always know when they come for a visit they'll get to "play" with Gramma's craft stuff and make something. Even the youngest one has been overjoyed every year on her birthday when she gets a hand made card from Gramma and Pop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Would love to hear more stories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

These are all great stories!

I did a bazar a few weeks ago at work. One lady bought a card and a few other small things. A few days later, she started asking questions about how I colored the image on the front. I told her about copics and she has just started scrapbooking and decided to buy some. She asked me to show her how to use them. In the process of showing her, she said "I want to color just like you!". Wow, I was so flattered. I tend to be pretty hard on myself and can be a perfectionist at times. It felt so good that someone appreciated what I do.

I would love to hear more stories! It makes card making fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was getting our Christmas cards ready to send out last week and I asked my husband which one he wanted to send to his sister and which to his aunt. So he picked which ones and who they were to be sent. A couple days later he was on the phone with his sister and I over heard him saying "wait till you see your Christmas card. Its beautiful." It brought tears to my eyes. He's so sweet and always has so many compliments about my cards - even the one's I consider ugly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I received a Christmas card from my deceased in-law's neighbors. They are both in their late 80s. Mrs. wrote, "As always, we enjoy your hand-made card!"

I make cards because I enjoy making them so it is heartwarming to know the receipents enoy receiving them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

This is such a sweet thread and I was thinking I didn't have anything to share, then I had some nice things happen.

First, I was showing my sister all the wonderful cards in the Gallery at SCS and I was saying how lovely they all were. My sister, who has the world's most tender heart but not very open about it, turned to me and said, "I've always thought your cards were beautiful." When I looked at her she had tears in her eyes.

Then, just a few days ago, my daughter stopped by and I asked her if she wanted to go through a bag of cards I was going to take to church to give away. She said, "Are they cards that you made?" When I said no they were store bought. She said, Then I don't want to look at them." I stopped for a minute and said, "Hey, I'll take that as a compliment. We both laughed.

This is the first Christmas in ages that I made our cards and I've received lots of nice comments about them. My 80 year old aunt wrote just today that it was "...nice to see that you are still stamping."

Yes, it doesn't matter what "level" of stamper you are. You are going to encounter people who marvel that you make your own cards/gifts. It brings me joy in making them and as I'm creating I am hoping that it will bring a smile to the recipient as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bweazView Post
Also, I send cards to an organization called Birthday Card Buddies (I send cards all year long). It's a home for severly mentally/physically challenged individuals. Most of the residents are long time residents.

One of the recipients of my cards passed away. The woman who organizes the volunteers, sent me an email saying that when his family showed up for his belongings, they were very happy that someone had been sending him cards during his time there.

I thought it was one of the most thoughtful emails I had ever been sent.

bweaz, you have the sweetest stories and I'm sitting here going "Awww" over yours and so many others.

Having said that, I have to ask you...I've looked at your avatar until I'm blue in the face and don't know what it is. Is my brain not working? Is it like one of those paintings that I have to stare at it until the hidden picture shows up? I'm sorry...will you help this old stamper see? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Last week I sent my cards out to several people I play with in my church orchestra. There is one young man who I really like but he can sometimes be so negative and somewhat of a curmudgeon. I wouldn't typically send him a card but this year I thought I would (because I really like him). Last night at our annual Living Christmas Tree several orchestra members came up to thank me for their cards and comment on how much they liked them. Jon came up to me later and said "Thank you for my Christmas card...it's the only one I've gotten. I never get cards." That just broke my heart that he goes so unnoticed and is such a good guy. Guess who's getting more cards from me this year?
Reply With Quote Likes