Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We're bored!

I've had one very nice club since 2006; members left, new ones joined, and it's been a loyal, fun group. Current members range in age from 20 to 75. I've stayed with mostly making cards every month---I keep things interesting enough, but simple enough for the older members. I'm bored with cards; I'd like to do some new kind of club, one in which everyone still gets to take turns being the hostess. Have you any ideas what such a varied aged group might like to do? Those under 60 would like just about anything; the older ones have little use for anything BUT cards, and their motor skills and vision issues make it hard for them to do intricate items. I don't want to disband; the younger mothers need and love this night out! Product swaps won't keep anyone interested. Thanks for any ideas you might have. :cool:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

What if you made a scrapbook? Decide on a theme, then whenever you get together make a page. That would give everyone time to get things together before you meet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about simple gift items. make a gift bag with tag, bookmark with gift card, small photo book, what about simple scrapbooks that are made over time. Perhaps a card even months and simple project odd months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Have you tried some different folds for your cards? How about different sizes and shapes?

Mary Jo had some good ideas...I like the bookmark idea, or a tag (there's some lovely ones!). A tag could be put on the front of a card or used on a gift.

A card organizer of some sort might be a good addition.

At the club I'm in we do mostly cards, but have one item that isn't a card each month. Maybe a treat pouch of some sort, or a box, or something like that. I have to confess that my boxes just sit. I just don't use them for much of anything. I prefer the cards since I do use them. You might keep that in mind.

Here's the "anything but a card" section of the gallery. You might get some ideas there.
Anything BUT a Card: Decorative Clipboards, Artist Trading Cards & More - Page - Splitcoaststampers
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Back in 2006, I joined an online group and we did a "round robin", of sorts, 8x8 scrapbook. We did a page about ourselves, one for each member of the group, then we sent them in to the person who started along with money for shipping and she separated out all the pages into complete albums and sent them to us. We supplied our own 8x8 album and when the pages arrived put them into the albums. It was a lot of fun and made for a very interesting read!
Even though your group has been together for a while I'm sure there are things you don't know about each other, plus this way the younger ones who like more techniques can incorporate those into the their page and the older ones can do something that both their eyes and hands can handle.

Kudos to you for keeping the group together!!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm in a stamp group that is close to 10 yrs old and still going strong. We don't have such a wide age difference but after all these years it can be a challenge to come up with ideas.

At the beginning of each year we create our calendar. Each person signs up for the month they will host. The host prepares lunch and designs the project. We take December & January off, we go to an annual retreat and we have an annual road trip to go destination shopping.

We swap cards and at each meeting I announce the next challenge. I'll pick a layout, a color, a theme, or a product, or any combination of these items. We also freebie swaps where you can do anything you like. It's a lot of fun to see how differently we interpret the challenge.

In the past couple of years we haven't made a lot of cards. We make boxes, wall d�cor, albums, treat boxes, and more. Almost every project includes a new technique or we bring back a technique we haven't used in a long time. Note that we start at 10:00 am and we spend the day together.

To find ideas we all look at any number of areas (SCS, pinterest, magazines, product websites, etc.). The host provides all the materials except the basic tool kit. The host puts out the supply list as soon as they know what is needed. Luckily, we are all in a good financial place so we don't think too much about the cost but that should be a factor when thinking about what projects to do.

When we branched out away from cards we worried about who would/would not like the project and now we don't think about it anymore because you can't make everyone happy all the time. Now each host does what they think is fun and we like the challenge of learning something new. We have all grown in our paper crafting abilities, thinking out of box creativity, and look forward to another 10 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have one or two cards per class that you teach and everyone actually makes the same one? or are they open to experiment? I have been running a class since about 2000..members come and go but there are about 15 core members. Instead of teaching a card I teach techniques and variations. We spend the class perfecting the techniques without making an actual card. This seems to work and as the girls get more skilled the techniques get more involved. I try to show some tricks to the more advanced ladies but everyone gets as much instruction as they want. Make sense?????? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for your responses! I have found some inspiration here and encouragement. I might form a sub-club for the scrapbook ideas, and try the gift items for the entire group. Making a card or tag and a gift sounds like fun to me.
In the past, our formula has been for me to bring samples and supplies for each member to make 3 cards; they are free to change them up and I encourage them to do so. We did try an explosion box several years ago--it was not a good experience. I expected them to do the scoring, following written and spoken directions. The older women, especially, had a difficult time. But with your suggestions and encouragement, I believe I will find something they may still enjoy. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

How about doing one or two calendar pages each month so by the end of the year you have the new year's calendar? In 2014 you would make a 2015 calendar. I wasn't in that group but my friends made pages that fit in a CD case which became the easel to displayed that month's page. They stamped or made punch art pieces to decorate the page and represent each month.

I was in an ATC club for a while. There was a list of theme suggestions (Red Letter Day, Roaring 20's, Smooth Sailing, etc.) and we picked a theme for the ATCs we swapped the next month. I usually turn ATCs into cards after I have admired them for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I can't offer much help on this other than to say, as someone who is slightly over 60 yrs. old, one possible reason for our age group to prefer making cards is because we.do.not.want.any.more.STUFF.in.our.homes! I love the cute things that can be made from paper and all the embellishments, but I am currently trying to minimize all "clutter" in my house, and things that are purely decorative sometimes fall into the clutter category. Cards are great because I can give them away!

With regards to stamping, if the stamps are tiny enough to require tweezers to pick up, I get rid of them. I really evaluate a stamp set for its ease of use when it comes to the size of the stamps within the set. But that is probably the only limitation I have when it comes to cardmaking. I would have no fear of being able to keep up with the younger members of a papercrafting group...!

Is it possible that the group could get together to make cards for the troops, or for those in their community who would be thrilled to have nice cards that they might not otherwise be able to afford for sending?

Sometimes things become boring when we are only doing them for ourselves. The group would still have the camaraderie and the "night out", and could also feel good about helping others. Maybe that type of focus would take some of the feeling of boredom out of it. And, you could still introduce new techniques for the card-making session to keep things interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

All great advise!

I would just encourage you not to disband as even if things are a little repetitive you have ladies that are still coming, if you had a huge downturn in people then I would think drastic measures are required, but not from what I have read.

Have you take a show of hands on what your fellow crafter's would like? how about getting them to choose a technique or a type of card etc, and get them involved in the next challenge if they aren't already.

Just keep it up, I will bet for a lot of your ladies (and gents) this maybe their only opportunity to interact with like minded crafters or even other people during the week/month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by itzannView Post
I can't offer much help on this other than to say, as someone who is slightly over 60 yrs. old, one possible reason for our age group to prefer making cards is because we.do.not.want.any.more.STUFF.in.our.homes! I love the cute things that can be made from paper and all the embellishments, but I am currently trying to minimize all "clutter" in my house, and things that are purely decorative sometimes fall into the clutter category. Cards are great because I can give them away!

Is it possible that the group could get together to make cards for the troops, or for those in their community who would be thrilled to have nice cards that they might not otherwise be able to afford for sending?
Our stamp group is in the same place "we.do.not.want.any.more.STUFF.in.our.homes" but the nice thing about making "stuff" is that we have a ready supply of gift items. We're lucky that our families want handmade items. :razz:

Also, every so often we gather our extra cards/projects and donate them to my DIL school. The kids are low income so they really appreciate having a box where they can get a nice gift or card. We also donate our stamps, paper, crafting tools, etc. to her school.

One last thought, we had a member who didn't like to make anything complicated or that used new mediums. She just didn't want to get out of her comfort zone. It was not an age thing because we are all 50-60's and would be considered expert level crafters. When she moved away, although we really miss her, our variety of projects took off. The techniques, the mediums, the level of our expertise soared. it rejuvenated our group but every now and then we have our simple card making sessions and we appreciate them even more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by itzannView Post
... ... ... Is it possible that the group could get together to make cards for the troops, or for those in their community who would be thrilled to have nice cards that they might not otherwise be able to afford for sending?

Sometimes things become boring when we are only doing them for ourselves. The group would still have the camaraderie and the "night out", and could also feel good about helping others. Maybe that type of focus would take some of the feeling of boredom out of it. And, you could still introduce new techniques for the card-making session to keep things interesting.
That's a great idea!
It could also be expanded to letting the group (or the demo) select a new group every month or two who would receive the cards made ... such as:
  • February-March = 5th street Nursing Home
  • April-May = Park Place Hospital
  • June-July = McDonald's House
Perhaps creating a sense of "purpose" would be a new source of inspiration for the group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #14  
Vintage Vixen

Would your group be interested in art journaling? You can use a lot of the same materials you use to make cards, but the focus is so different. Have everyone bring a journal of their choice to work in, or spend a meeting making one. That way you can include different types of paper suitable for a variety of media and techniques.

If you do an online search for art journals, art journaling, art journal ideas, etc., you'll find a lot of inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Default why not have two groups

One can be strictly for cardmaking and the other can be
Creative Paper ARTS so you can go in any direction you want with
that group and yet still continue the group that the seniors enjoy
so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Have loved your responses!! And I am heading on to 63, so I know about not wanting any more stuff in my house. My new round will begin in July, I think, and I will change things a little then. I just added two new members this month! Cards have been the mainstay, and will continue to be a part of meetings. As you've said, people can give them away, though mostly members keep them for ideas to use on their own. I am grateful for so many good suggestions. Thank you, all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

my demo also teaches a technique at most club gatherings. At the beginning of the "club year" she has purchased the blank 5x5 journals ( I think SU used to sell..or still does )? Anyway; anyone wanting to create the technique book pays the cost of the journal then each club gathering usually includes learning the new technique as well as making a card or two, or sometimes a gift item.
Techniques have been things like different ways to create background, dry embossing, heat embossing etc. You leave club with a sample of the technique and typewritten instructions that will fit on two of the blank pages of the journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,164 Likes on 498 Posts

What A bout make Cardkits for kids color in the hospitals? And gift bags balloons and colors and soap bubbles and games and candy. for the kids. And ect.
Just a thought! thanks hotwheels
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

Why not try new techniques? Maybe how to build simple flowers for embellishments? Or how to use Pearl mist? Better yet how to make your own! What about making your own envelopes and how to decorate them just a tad to add interest with stamping or some sort of coordinating stickers. You could also do other embellishments like making a slightly dimensional butterfly or kite to add to later cards or tags. Another great thing to do is a 1 sheet wonder event. Everyone could have the same papers with the dsp paper pre cut to one of the 1 sheet wonder templetes, provide the same color base cards to everyone and have Everyone design their own layouts. It would be interesting and fun to see what they all come up with. Make your own colored bakers twine using cotton crochet thread and embroidery floss....ideas just keep on flowing once they start!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

This thread has tons of amazing inspiration. I have a group of demos that come over now and then to stamp at my house but some of these ideas may help us gel that group in a new way. I echo the idea to stamp for 'someone else'. We have sent to Ronald McDonald House, MD Anderson, Operation Write Home on occasion. Even those outside of the group drop off cards to add to our box when we do these special things. So much we can do to enjoy ourselves and touch someone. Thanks to everyone who share such fabulous ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Our class used to go once a month and our demo prepared ten cards that we would make. We had a snack provided by her too. We grew to become close friends and now we take turns with the snacks and with hostess money. When she makes cards, its down to eight and we sometimes each make three cards and bring the supplies for the others to make. We now split the hostess money but the rule is you have to spend at least $50 to split it (there are only three of us and the one girl doesn't spend more than $30 so if we have to make up the rest to $150 we other two have to spend twice as much.) She's ok with this since she doesn't spend what we do, although during sab we chipped in our sab freebies and got her the banner stamp and punch set! It works for us!
Reply With Quote Likes