Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercolor Mediums

I was wondering what kind of markers or other watercolor mediums do you use? I have seen distress markers used and they look fantastic. I want to get some opinions before I invest in new products.
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2015, 07:16 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Everything! I love Tombow markers, just the reinkers from my SU Inkpads, FineTec pan watercolor, Peerless watercolor, Brusho and Koi. Oh and Dr. Ph Martin Hydrus (recently).

It's all fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am loving doing "watercolor" with Distress Inks. LOVE! I like how water doesn't dilute the color, and I love all the different techniques you can do with the inks, making them very versatile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Everything! I love Tombow markers, just the reinkers from my SU Inkpads, FineTec pan watercolor, Peerless watercolor, Brusho and Koi. Oh and Dr. Ph Martin Hydrus (recently).

It's all fun!
Watercolor is my favorite medium too. I'm not very good at it, but it's so relaxing and fun. I took a watercolor class this past spring and really fell in love with it. I wasn't happy at first since my instructor, it was a college course, required purchasing professional tube colors. WOW, one 10ml tube of Winsor Newton cost me $22.00! I may have found it cheaper, but waited till the last minute to get it. Well let me say, I've found there's a huge difference between artist quality and student products. The colors are so rich, clear, vibrant, and a tiny dollop of color in a pallet lasts a long time, I'm hooked!

I now have a substantial amount of colors, and just love them. I carry a portable palette with me to appointments and anytime I know there'll be a wait. My portable palette was a lifesaver while sitting in hospital waiting rooms and sitting with my DH during his five hospitalizations this year.

I love every single medium and product mentioned by Lydia, the real artist! Like Lydia, I love using all types of mediums! I'm certainly not saying one has to purchase artist grade, but if it's in your budget you'll be very happy you did. One can purchase a few tubes or pans at a time, and there are other brands as good as Winsor Newton priced cheaper. I've a set of White Knights artist grade colors, a travel pallet of full pans priced reasonably. Watercolor pencils are another option, although I find them cumbersome.

In the end, just buy what you like. Colors brighten a cloudy day and make you happy. Have fun and get lost in colors!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2015, 05:06 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I love everything watercolor. I use everything from the inexpensive Recollections (Michael's) brand, to the Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers, to Gelatos, and I love them all. I use them all for different things. I haven't watercolored with my Distress Inks yet, but I'm going to try that soon too. My advice is to get the inexpensive brands first to see if you like the medium. Then you can invest in the better quality products. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

When I do a large watercolour I use Windsor Newton tube paints but if I am just doing a quick watercolour on a stamped image I just scrape an SU stamp pad colour on a piece of acetate and wet with my water brush. Mostly because the colours match the paper and the stamped greeting etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I toyed with cheap watercolor mediums for years, was never happy with my work and now I know why. Because I was using cheap materials. If you can afford to buy a small set of artist grade watercolors, I believe this will give you a much better idea whether you will enjoy using this medium or not.

If you're interested in distress markers, watch Dawn (WPlus9) work her magic with these on Youtube. You don't need every color. She works fairly dry, so you would have more control.

My personal favorite is the Gansai Tambi watercolors - it was love at first use! You can find the smaller sets at Hobby Lobby.

I also love distress inks, and you can get a great start on these by buying the mini cubes.

I have a small set of the Zig Clean Color Brush markers; I don't care for them, but almost everyone else I know raves over them. A lot of people love watercolor pencils, but they're not my favorite either.

So you really have to figure out what's right for you! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried a lot of water color mediums and here is my take on them:

All time fav are Peerless watercolor papers - bright colors and they last forever

I don't use my markers direct to paper as I color them onto a ceramic tile and pick the color up with a brush - favorite are the old Marvy Brush Style. I have to order them directly from Uchida. They last a long time and also great for direct to stamp & misting

Brusho fun but can be messy

Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers - recently acquired them and I don't really like them. I believed all the rave reviews but I have other mediums that work better

Gelatos are ok but I don't do a lot of water coloring as much as I use them for making background and mixed media

Not impressed with Distress Markers - they dry out to fast and I'm not all that crazy about the colors. If I want to use these colors I just pick the color up from a Distress ink pad

I stopped buying the artist grade tubes because I didn't use them fast enough and they were drying out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much for all the awesome suggestions! I have Winsor tube ones wanted to see what else would be good to use. I did see a lot of distress markers and inks so I will have to give that a try.
Reply With Quote Likes