Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Using my stash

For the past few years, I've set a crafty goal for myself - both as a way to keep me motivated and as a way to help me establish good habits. One of my goals in the previous years was to make a card every day (and then share it on my blog). It was an ambitious goal and while I didn't make 365 cards that year, I did make at least twice as many cards as the previous year.

I learned a lot of personal lessons through the process, both things I was expecting (how to manage my time better) and things I was not (you can kick-start your creative inspiration just by showing up and doing the work). And while I've still got plenty of room for improvement, I feel like I've grown by leaps and bounds when it comes to my creativity.

For 2019, my goal was to start going through my stash and using every stamp in a stampset, every paper in a paper pad and all the pretty shiny goodies I've been hoarding like a greedy craft-dragon.

So, here is my tally of what I've used in 2019:
- 9 complete standard 4x6 stamp sets.
- 7 complete smaller stamp sets (3x4 or 2x3.)
- 2 complete large stamp sets (4x8 or 6x8.)
and

- 2 complete paper pads (double-sided 24 sheets)
- 3 sheets of enamel dots

While this is just a tiny drop in the bucket compared to how much is actually in my stash, I am very proud of what I've achieved and I'm going to extend this goal into 2020 -albeit with a few tweaks.

I've debating on sharing how I've tackled this goal in 2019 and some of the things I've learned along the way. On one hand, I think it might be helpful and beneficial to some (myself included), but on the other hand, I don't want to clog up the forums with walls of text.

So, my question is... Would anyone be interested in learning more?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

YES! I have been trying to use up my stash the last few years, but I'm always looking for tips, suggestions and ideas from other crafters who are doing the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I'd love to hear some ideas. I've done a lot but still have tons of stamps, dies and especially patterned paper that I need to use up. I make LOTS of cards and also make a lot of Christmas tags for myself and gifts for my sister but I still have a huge stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Elle, please give me walls of text. I’ll provide the chocolate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 04:15 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I think this is an awesome idea. My husband would agree as he thinks I own everything. I just took a look at your blog. Super card ideas! You did a terrific job using patterned paper and cute images. Of course I subscribed, so I can keep seeing your ideas using the papers and images.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Congrats on the success! You go girl!! I am thinking of doing the same thing with my own stash...it is a great idea.

This reminds me of Scott over at Card Cut Ups who challenges himself to use everything in the two monthly kits he gets...and is very fond of puns. If you don't know him, you might enjoy his blog.

I can't see how one thread clogs up the board regardless of how much you write in the posts in it. Still only one thread ;) Go for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay crazy card lady here. I made and sell sarcastically affectionate cards at two farmers markets. 2,500!! I sit down and cut up a piece of 12 x 12 for my backgrounds, which I always layer on black on a white card. This is force me to do at least 6 cards at once. I then have my stamped image, also layers on black yardstick, which I colour and finally I either stamp off or print off my saying, which again is attached to black card stock. What do I do to relax, I do puzzle world on the computer.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on working your way through that much of your stash! Have you checked out the USEIT2019 or the S2S2019 challenges? Both of them focus on using your stash. It inspires me to dig into my stash when I see others post their success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided to use up some of my shiny pretties making Christmas presents for my family and my staff at work. I found a tutorial for a Mini Book Box with Case by Samantha Clayton, mixedupcraft.com. It used 2 (12 x 12”) pieces of card stock plus a piece of DSP for each plus oodles of die cuts and shiny bits. They were such fun to make. I made a total of twelve. That is 36 pieces of paper plus accessories. It felt really good to see my stuff actually used. Here is a photo of what I made. So I’m hoping I can continue to use up my stash as well. Thanks for sharing your success and I look forward to what else you post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

ooo...Beth! That is so cool looking! And what a cool site! I may try to follow her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Okay, friends, I'm armed with my cup of coffee and freshly cracked knuckles, so let's get down to nitty gritty details of a monumental goal like using up a stash. I'll be spreading things over a few posts, (so it's easier to write and read) but I hope there's something of value in each post.

First, I wanted to talk about how to approach a massive goal like using up a crafty stash. As a concept, "using up what I have" sounds simple and easy. I think every crafter I've ever met has said at one point or another that they need to make more use of their old supplies. So, all you got to do is pull out some supplies and get crafting, right?

But then you face your stash, realize just how many shinies you own and all of a sudden, that easy peasy lemon squeezy goal becomes overwhelming. And you find yourself feeling stressed depressed lemon zest instead. You walk away from the stash and leave that big goal for another day/week/year.

The problem is that a goal like "using my stash" is too big and vague. You can't walk into your crafty space one evening and walk out a couple of hours later with the goal checked off your to-do list. From a psychological perspective, it is much harder to keep working on goals that have no measurable progress. It's hard to keep using up your stash when months of effort hardly make a dent in how much you've used up and when one little shopping trip undoes all the progress.

So, one thing I would recommend strongly is to take your goal and divide it into smaller, more achievable goals. What worked best for me is a tree diagram. A big goal divides into smaller goals, and continues to get divided until you're left with something you can accomplish easily.

For example:

Using up my stash
- Using up my stamps
-- Using up 4x6 stamp sets
--- Avery Elle
---- January 2020
----- Oh Happy Day Stamp

In this example, I first divided the big goal into a category (using stamps), then size, then a brand, time frame and finally a specific stamp. Using up that happy day set is achievable, gives me focus for the month of January, but it ties right back to progress on my original big goal.

One great thing about using a tree diagram is that you can see your big goals and your little goals. You can see how small actions lead to the completion of a bigger whole. You get that lovely feeling of accomplishment without being overwhelmed by all that's left to do - because what's left to do is a bunch of small, achievable tasks.

A tree diagram makes it easy to move things around, too. If you've got a task that you didn't complete, you can easily move it over to a different branch - when you're in a better mindspace to tackle it.

You can try making your tree diagram from free websites like: Tree Diagram Maker | Free Online App & Download
Or you can use a bulletin board and post-it notes, a blank journal page or go all out and make a rainbow-background poster for your crafty wall.

(to be continued)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share your tips, Elle! I'll be following this thread so I don't miss out on any other tips you share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Now that you've got a plan with a nifty tree diagram, it's time to get organized.

The first step is going to be to *GASP!* ditch your current organization system. I know, this is crazy talk right here, but I promise there's a reason for this madness.

Most organization systems are built around storing things and that's not going to be the same as a system built around using things. A system for storing things is great for knowing what you have, but this won't make you know what to create. I, personally, can't remember a single time I've thought "Ah, my stamps are perfectly alphabetized. It's time to make a card." If anything, I've felt the opposite. I did not want to pull out supplies to use because it would make too big of a mess.

An organization system built around using things will be driven by the way you create. Are you a visual person that is drawn to various colors? You may want to make patterned paper bundles for various palettes. Are you a technique junkie? You may want to pull out the tools you'll be needing for the techniques you want to tackle next. Got bitten by the planner bug? Use those planning muscles to create a list of supplies you'll be using on your card.

It can be tricky to shift your thinking from organizing for storage to organizing for use. But I do have a wild example of something I did at the beginning of the year for my patterned paper.

My patterned papers were organized for storage - divided into themes (holiday, everyday, basics, etc) and then by manufacturer. This worked great for storing them, because I could easily flip through each section and find the pad I wanted to use. I've avoided buying duplicates and the categories made it easy to find papers for appropriate themes.

However, I'm a visual person and I also tend to be on the intuitive side when it comes to choosing patterns and colors. A lot of the time, I will look for a "purple" paper - rather than a specific brand manufacturer or paper line. This meant that every time I wanted to use the vague "purple paper", I had to flip through multiple paper pads and try to find the pattern that worked the best.

Instead of spending a minute deciding on paper, I'd probably spend 20 minutes leafing through paper pads to find the right one (and, if I'm perfectly honest, getting distracted by other ideas or bouts of creative inspiration). My paper organization system was functional, but it was not making it easier to create.

So, I did a wild and crazy thing and I pulled all the papers from the paper pads. I mixed them all up, then divided them for use. Some were divided by color, some by pattern and then ranked by how much I wanted to use them. All the lines and all the manufacturers are mixed together, and I am not keeping track of who released what. At the end of the day, my creative process doesn't care where the paper comes from - just whether it works for my project.

I admit, I was a bit apprehensive about this idea. I started by mixing just a few paper pads, in case I changed my mind. Seeing how easy and effortless it made it to use all my patterns convinced me to jump in completely and I've disassembled all my paper pads.

The thing that made me the most nervous was what if someone asked me where I got that paper and then be disappointed that I had no clue. In the year of making and sharing cards via various social media, I've had 2 people ask me where I got that paper. I let them both know that I did not keep track of the manufacturer, but I buy from XYZ brands and they're all papers from previous years. One of the ladies was relieved, as she recognized the manufacturer and thought she missed a brand new line. Funnily enough, she found the paper line in her stash from 3 years ago and we had a good laugh about it. I referred the other crafter to Scrapbook.com because they have individual 12x12 sheets for a lot of the brands I use. The paper wasn't there, but she did thank me for referring her to the site because she found several other things that would work.

Most paper lines are readily available for 2-3 years at the most, and then they're out of print. Some of my paper pads are from 2013 - when I started crafting. They're not going to be easy to find. But they still inspire me and I'm going to use them.

The same thing can be applied to other supplies- stamps, embellishments, etc. They go in and out of style. They get forgotten until someone remembers them and a new trend is born. A great example is the crimper tool. It was all the rage before I got into card-making, and then got forgotten. This year, I saw several card-makers using a crimper and all of a sudden, there's crimping tools for sale again.

With that in mind, the biggest question to ask yourself when getting organized is: What's going to make it easier for me to use these supplies?

You don't have to make changes at once or redo your entire organization system. Just like the tree diagram broke up a big goal into small tasks, you can make small changes to your system to streamline your creative process.

Here are a few tips that I've found helpful:

- Keep a basket out on your desk with the supplies you want to use. I have this cute basket and I put in the stamp(s) I'm working with, some patterned paper, cardstock bases and sheets of enamel dots. I keep it very visible and try to do something with those supplies whenever I go into my crafty space.
- At the end of a crafty session, build a little project kit for next time. Pull some inks, paper, embellishments and a stamp. Leave it in your basket for an easy starter.
- Once a month, do a little prep-work to make things easier during your crafting sessions: Cut and score your card bases. Check your calendar for any birthdays/holidays/occasions you can create for. Grab that tutorial for a technique you want to try and make it easy to access. Check for any challenges you want to enter.

(to be continued)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, Elle, you are extremely organized! I separated and sorted all my solid paper a few months ago. You just gave me the push to do the same with the pp. It's a waste of time to grab six or seven pads when I'm looking for a specific color.

Beth, those little boxes are beautiful! I follow Samantha's blog, Mixed Up Craft. If you are looking for a fancy fold, start there!

Lorri, 2,500 cards, WOW!!!! I checked your gallery, the veggie cards are really cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Elle, thank you for all you are putting into sharing with us! Those posts represent a ton of thought and is much appreciated

I haven’t purchased much the past couple years, everything old is new again and I find I have close enough to what I see being offered, and I have lots of stuff to work with. I will continue use on that vein in the new year, using what I have and not buying much. My goal, if I have one, is to just make more cards! We all have ebbs and flows with creativity but I hope to ebb less and flow more haha!

You made me think about my paper organization, it is pretty much by colour but a second look would not go amiss, and would likely spark some creativity. On my next week off to do list is already to tidy my craft space, and I will be more purposeful I think. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 857 Likes on 512 Posts

Beth, Your gift boxes are stunning! So beautiful! So glad you shared them!
I am following Samantha's site now.
Elle ,Thank you for the great tips on using our stashes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Elle, I also do the basket thing as it helps to keep me focused on the project at hand. Prep-work makes cardmaking go smoothly and quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 06:14 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Elle - thank you so much for posting these ideas! I'm another one who has things "organized to store" as opposed to "organized to use". This week I've been going through my dies and moving them into groups that make more sense when I go to use them. I need to take a good hard look at the papers and decide if I need to rearrange them. I have them all indexed with swatches in trading card pockets and those are "organized to use", so I may leave things as they are, but it's worth examining, at least.

I liked the idea of putting together "kits" when you mentioned it on another thread some time ago, so I may go that route, too. My problem - as mentioned a bizillion times before - is that there is SO MUCH that I've collected over the years that I want to use (even after many, many purges). The tree diagram idea may be what works for me on making a start and, once I get some momentum going, I can see where that leads me. Again - thank you for your ideas!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

Over the years, I've discovered I craft by serendipity. That is, I like to rummage through my baskets and see what I find. Therefore, other than cardstock and ink being organized by rainbow order in open Stamp-N-Storage holders, I throw my supplies into ThirtyOne baskets that are stored in Ikea shelving. It makes for a fun crafting adventure when I never know what's in the basket I'm pulling out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

cnsteele I Love that. I once shut my eyes and pulled a stamp set to use. Now that they’re organized by theme in four bins, I can’t, but planned on asking my husband to pull one out, or I could pull one out of a bin he’d hand me with my eyes shut.

It’s amazing how much easier inspiration hits when supplies or techniques are limited. (That really hit home in the Dear To Get Dirty event this year.)

And to Elle, I’ll more carefully read everything you wrote, and think my paper is stored how I use it - with the exception of 6x6 pads. I don’t use much patterned paper, and do like the 6x6 in pads, but will go through and pull all the sheets I won’t use.

Someone on another thread said she’d love to get patterned paper others weren’t using, and if I can find her - or if she’s reading and can PM me - I’d love to mail it to her.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 09:53 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Having measurable progress is going to be very important, especially when you're just starting out.

At the start, the gap between what you have in your stash and how much you've used is going to look and feel massive. It will be enough to discourage you or push you into habits you want to get away from - like avoiding your crafty space because you're too overwhelmed to create or splurging on a few new supplies in hopes it would kick-start the creativity.

What's important to remember is that the gap is going to be there whether you're crafting or not. But with each little step you take by using a single thing in your stash, that gap becomes more narrow. Those little steps are your measurable progress and should be visible and celebrated.

One thing I found helpful was using color-coding dots to mark the stamps I've used. I bought this sticker set from Amazon and it probably has enough dots to mark all my stamps and then some. You can find similar little dot stickers at your local office supply store.

Having these dots has been fun. They feel like a "good job" sticker kids get on their homework - a little bit of praise and "hooray" for making use of my supplies. They're also a great visual reminder of how many things I've used or what I need to use to complete a set. Knowing that I just need to stamp 2 more things from this set was often inspiration enough to come up with an idea for a card.

Once a stamp set is complete, I place it into a basket that is visible in my crafty space - right at eye level. I used to keep my most-used tools in that basket, but now it's a place where "things I've loved and used" go. Eventually, I will outgrow that basket. And I'm excited to get there because it will mean I've made a BIG dent in my crafty supplies.

Aside from a happy dance, I recommend that you celebrate your achievements. Display your projects, share ideas with fellow crafters and talk about what you enjoyed working with. One great thing about sharing what you're doing is finding kindred souls - all the lovely crafters who are focusing on the same thing and who can inspire or be inspired by you.

Speaking of inspiration, I wanted to briefly touch on social media.

We are lucky to live in a modern technological world where we can share videos, tutorials, pictures and posts with a touch of a button. We can chat with someone on the other side of the globe and grow our knowledge exponentially. So, it's no wonder a lot of crafters turn to social media for inspiration.

However, a lot of social media (and even things like blogs and crafty videos) are built to promote new content. And with that, a lot of the big focus is on new supplies. Most companies have amazing design teams that showcase their products - and, frankly, do a really fabulous job.

But it's important to keep in mind that you don't have a design team for your crafty stash. There's just you, and it's up to you to make good use of it. And because of this, you may want to be mindful of what role social media plays in your creative process.

There is a non-crafty Youtube channel I follow that had a video or two about being mindful of how much media we consume vs what we create. And that idea really struck with me - in particular how it applies to creativity.

When we spend time watching crafting videos, browsing card pictures via blogs/social media, planning a project or organizing our craft room, our brains are consuming information. We can then use that as creative energy to help work on projects.

But if you consume too often and too much, it becomes overwhelming and your brain draws blanks on what to do next. It's a little bit like eating. Eating a healthy moderate meal means you feel energized and ready to get through the day. Overeating, on the other hand, leaves you uncomfortable and wanting to do nothing but sleep.

I'm not necessarily saying to avoid all media, just approach it mindfully and with purpose. Make sure you're balancing what you're creating with how much you're consuming.

(to be continued...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your series of posts! This info is so timely and helpful. Reading your tip about organizing for usage was a lightbulb moment for me. I no longer have a craft room or dedicated space to leave projects out. I have a closet with shelves and everything in plastic totes. It's all very organized but a hassle to use. I'm going to make some changes and utilize your ideas. Thanks for sharing, especially at a time when so many of us are making our yearly crafting goals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elle, I'm so glad you are continuing with this thread. I have enjoyed reading all the posts. Your post about the patterned paper has meant the most to me. I have mine stored by years, holidays, current and retired and a bin dedicated to non-SU. Your ideas are getting me to rethink how I do it. I'm not going to do anything about my stamp sets as I have over 300. I suppose I could do a stamp set a day for 2020 as I know this is not the end of my purchasing...lol. I have to be careful because I belong to a team, which blogs once a week, and we can only use current SU product. I'm a hobby demonstrator so I buy from other companies as well. Thank you again for the time you have taken to share tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All! I'm new to posting here but have been reading all your posts about using stash and getting somewhat organized. While the majority of my stash is organized I realized I need to do way more crafting. I make quite a bit of cards during the year and have a habit of creating scrapbook pages before I have the pictures for them. 2020 will find me printing more pictures to finish the pages and using each stamp set to make at least one card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default Love this idea!

Can you send me a link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 06:11 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

The last big thing I wanted to tackle is how to be productive and build habits around using up your stash. I saved this post for last because pacing is very personal - what works for me might not work for you and vice-versa.

Since I was sticking with the goal of using up my stash for all of 2019, I split the year into quarters and tried a different pace for each one.

From January to March, I went for a narrowly-focused fast pace. I used only one stamp set or one set of papers until it was used up and then moved on to the next. I made a card every single day and made sure I was at my crafty desk at least 30 minutes every day. I started with the most challenging pace, as I had build up a daily crafting habit from my 2018 goal of making a card every day.

Those 3 months by far my most productive months. I used up half of the things I listed in my first post during this time-span. However, they were also 3 of the most pressure-filled and stressful months of the year. Quite a few cards I made toward the end are not cards I'm particularly proud of - they feel like empty creations that were made just to say I used the supplies. And that's not what I wanted from this project.

From April to June, I slowed the pace down - but still kept the narrow focus. I used 2-3 stamps at a time, switching between them as they inspired me. I created a card at least 4 times per week, and I spent at least 20 minutes at my crafty desk during each session.

While I wasn't as productive, I enjoyed this pacing a lot more. I had more variety to work with, but focusing on a selection of supplies really gave me that sense of completion.

From July to September, I kept the slower pace and expanded the focus. I pulled a dozen stamps and paper bundles I wanted to use and used whatever inspired me on a particular day. I created a card 2-3 times per week, and I spent at least 15 minutes at my crafty desk during each session.

This was by far the most laid back and fun pace. I made some of my most creative projects during these months, but I wasn't as productive as previous months in terms of using things up. I also reacquainted myself with supplies and stretched out my intuitive creative muscles.

For October to December, I threw caution to the wind and went for no pacing and no focus. I created when I felt like it and had the whole crafty stash open for use.

I made a great big total of 3 cards during this time span - and only because I needed to top up my Christmas card stash to send out for the holidays. I used up 0 supplies because the cards were made assembly-form, using leftovers from another project. Without any focus, I found myself overwhelmed by my stash again. The times I was inspired to craft were usually times I couldn't (either because I was at work or because I was too tired).

For 2020, I'm going to adopt the pace I had in April-June: medium pace with narrower focus. I feel this really worked for me and kept me on track while giving me some creative freedom. If life gets busy (as life does) or if I need a creative break, I can switch to the go-with-the-flow pace of July-September.

The kind of pace that's going to work for you will depend on a lot of factors: how much time you can devote to crafting, what supplies you want to use/use up, which tasks you want to complete first, etc. One thing I would recommend is to experiment with your pacing over a period of time. Try a few different things to see which one will resonate with you. Ideally, you want to balance being productive with having fun - feeling like you're making progress, but in a way that doesn't feel like a chore.

Finally, let's tackle the goal of creating more (in general). No matter how careful your planning and how organized you are, the success of the goal of using your stash generally comes down to making sure you're creating regularly with your supplies. And the easiest way to create regularly is to build a habit around it.

First, I'd like to share a quote that I found tremendously helpful when it comes to crafting:
“When ego is siphoned off creativity, when creativity becomes one more thing we do, like the laundry, then it takes far less time to do it. Much of our desire for creative time has to do with our trying to coax ourselves into being in the right mood to create. We want to “feel like it,” and when we don’t, or don’t quickly, we think the solution is more time. Actually, the solution is less attention to the vagaries of mood. In short, creativity needs to become something daily, doable, and nonnegotiable, something as quotidian as breathing.
When we make a special occasion out of our art, we rob ourselves of the time we actually have. When we make a ceremony out of the right paper, the right noise level, the right pen and precise circumstance, we are actually creating many false conditions that make our art not more possible but more impossible. “I can’t think when it’s noisy” or “when the kids are home” or “when the phone’s going off.” We may not like thinking under those conditions, but we can think under them and we owe it to ourselves to learn that we can. By making our creativity nonnegotiable, we do it a little every day no matter what our mood and no matter what our judgement of our work. What we are after is the gut-level knowledge that our creativity is both doable and portable.
… The less precious we are about how and when we do our work, the more precious it can be to us. We are like parents who take their infant everywhere. The child learns to thrive in many environments, and so, too, can our brainchild, art.”
- Julia Cameron, The Sound of Paper

I've shared this quote before, so some of you might be familiar with it already, but I feel it's always a good reminder.

The best way to craft more and to be more creative with your crafting is to show up and do the work on a regular basis - regardless of your personal level of inspiration or motivation. Intrinsic motivation ebbs and flows and is often difficult to find, especially when you take a break or when life gets busy.

Instead, dedicate a regular time slot to crafting every week. Even if you don't feel like crafting, show up and do something. You might not create a complete card, but you can do a little coloring or a messy background. Often, you'll find that you do feel creative by the end of your scheduled crafty hour - and it only gets easier with time.

This is where I will end the big walls-of-text portion of the thread, as I think I've tackled all the basics. I 'm going to continue posting more tips and tricks, but they will be in smaller form and a little more sporadic.

I'm very thankful to all of you who have shared your project ideas an images. You're all wonderfully talented, and I can't wait to hear more about your crafty adventures. I hope you will continue to share.

Happy and productive 2020 to you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 05:47 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Just wanted say how much I enjoyed reading this thread and to thank you for the time and effort you put into writing it.

I too have thought a lot about how social media has affected my crafting and had decided my mantra for 2020 was to “consume less, create more” (I am actually applying this to many aspects of my life, like how I eat and my relationships with others, but that’s another thread!)

Right now, I’m a burned out SU demo of 14+ years that finally gave myself permission quit teaching classes last month. I’ve been looking around my craft room and wondering “what now?”

I’ve been feeling drawn to return to scrapbooking, where my stash is oldest and the most out of control. Thanks for the reminder that I don’t have to look at it as a whole, and can limit myself to just portions of it.

That quote by Julia Cameron is spot on. My best work always came when I was in a stamping routine. Creativity is a muscle we need to continually exercise and it will get stronger.

Thanks again for the well written and thought provoking thread. Happy New Year to you and your 2020 goals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Elle, after reading the first sentence of the quote, I thought “The Artists Way!” Wrong title, right author. Showing up, building the habit muscle, is my only goal.

Thinking about your 20 or 15 minutes and sheer number of cards, it occurred to me that while we all have paper and stamps and “stuff” in common, our processes and end-goals can be different.

My takeaway from today’s lovely, important wall of text is that showing up is the key (for me). Pace = creating X days a week for at least X amount of time. The number of cards isn’t part of the equation - or goal.

If in one week I make 5 backgrounds or try a technique and make one card from it (since techniques and backgrounds are my jam) that will equal success and joy. Thank you!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default Absolutely!

I'd love to hear your lessons learned. Some hints on what to do with the ugly paper and do-dads would be welcome as well!
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwarnersccfView Post
I'd love to hear your lessons learned. Some hints on what to do with the ugly paper and do-dads would be welcome as well!
Best of luck!
I’m not Elle (duh) but have you considered selling, donating or giving to someone else those papers you don’t like?

Also, I’ve found with ugly backgrounds I’ve made and some patterned papers, sometimes there are parts that work great for die cutting or cutting up into strips or squares. I use a homemade viewfinder or my two thumbs and first fingers to make a little circle to find those gems. (Clear as mud, right?)

I just started going through 6x6 paper pads to remove papers that aren’t my cuppa. I don’t use much patterned paper anyway, so it doesn’t make sense to keep paper that someone else could enjoy. Oddly, it’s been fun going through them, since I’m imagining things I could do with forgotten ones that do spark joy, as they say. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 08:38 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Thumbs up

Hat's off to you!!

Oh my word .... your approach is a fascinating self-challenge. Consider me as standing in a huge applause group!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

@ meowchow: The aftermath of a big change can be scary, but it's also tremendously exciting. You're going from something that was an obligation - something that you burned out on - and into rediscovering yourself as an artist/crafter. Since things are changing already, you're free to try ideas that caught your eye in the past but you never had the time for. You're also free to enjoy creating for the sake of creating and to immerse yourself fully in the process.

It doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing thing, either. It's ok to be casual and take things slowly, to change your mind or stick to one course. After a burnout, your mind (and heart) need that gentleness and care to get back to associating crafting with joy and relaxation again. So, take your time and keep at it.

@ Beth: Being aware of and in tune with your pacing can be a great tool. Not only is it something that will make you feel more productive, but it can help you keep your goals/tasks more realistic. A goal like "using up our stash" is open to interpretation. It can mean completing more projects with what you have on hand, but it can also mean just incorporating more stash products to experiment and play. And - the best part is - you can change your interpretation throughout the year as your goals and needs evolve, too.

If you decide to switch things up down the line and focus on completing more cards, you'll know what your baseline is and what a reasonable number of cards would be to challenge you to work more without being overwhelmed. From my experience in 2018 and making a card every day, I know I could push and make 6 or 7 cards every week, but I'm much happier with results when I focus on 3 or 4. So, if I get to a part of the year where I need more cards (like Christmas), I will keep that pacing of 3-4 cards per week in mind and start my crafting early enough to complete the cards stress-free.

Also, since you mention backgrounds - I wanted to share an idea of something to try with your backgrounds as a way to maybe incorporate them into cards or projects. You could create a lookbook for your backgrounds.

Although lookbooks are more of a fashion thing, I think they would be a great way to track your backgrounds and think about how you could style them. You could put backgrounds in an album or in page protectors and put a couple sticky notes - one with what you used to get that background (products, technique, etc) and another with supplies you could try (ex. themes like "birthday", paper/inks/embellishments that match the colors, etc).

@bwarnersccf: You can try putting a piece of vellum over the pattern and see if you like it in a more subtle form. I find that this works great for patterns that are too strong or too busy, while also adding an element of dimension.

You can also try going the mixed media route by using gesso or paint for a distressed/shabby chic look. Another way to soften the pattern is by inking over it. If you use distress oxides or pigment ink, the opacity can completely cover parts of the paper you don't like. There are a lot of videos on Youtube on different mixed media or altered projects you can try.

As Beth mentioned, you can also look into donating some papers you don't like. Some schools or community centers like using donated papers for collage projects, teaching color theory or for making into pulp for hand-made paper.

@ TexasGrammy: Thank you! Self-challenges really appeal to me, I think I've been running one self-challenge or another since I've started card-making. And if my experiences can help someone else out there, I'm more than happy to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
[snip]

@ Beth: Being aware of and in tune with your pacing can be a great tool. Not only is it something that will make you feel more productive, but it can help you keep your goals/tasks more realistic. A goal like "using up our stash" is open to interpretation. It can mean completing more projects with what you have on hand, but it can also mean just incorporating more stash products to experiment and play. And - the best part is - you can change your interpretation throughout the year as your goals and needs evolve, too.

If you decide to switch things up down the line and focus on completing more cards, you'll know what your baseline is and what a reasonable number of cards would be to challenge you to work more without being overwhelmed. From my experience in 2018 and making a card every day, I know I could push and make 6 or 7 cards every week, but I'm much happier with results when I focus on 3 or 4. So, if I get to a part of the year where I need more cards (like Christmas), I will keep that pacing of 3-4 cards per week in mind and start my crafting early enough to complete the cards stress-free.

Also, since you mention backgrounds - I wanted to share an idea of something to try with your backgrounds as a way to maybe incorporate them into cards or projects. You could create a lookbook for your backgrounds.

Although lookbooks are more of a fashion thing, I think they would be a great way to track your backgrounds and think about how you could style them. You could put backgrounds in an album or in page protectors and put a couple sticky notes - one with what you used to get that background (products, technique, etc) and another with supplies you could try (ex. themes like "birthday", paper/inks/embellishments that match the colors, etc).

[snip]
Neat ideas, thank you, and I bet others will be helped. I’m a flipper (bins) rather than a leafer (albums), so backgrounds are in ROYGBIV order in two bins. Since color is foremost in my brain, it works well. Small scraps for die cutting are upright in a small bin in the same order. The scrap bin is within grabbing distance of my dies/Gemini Jr.

Harmonizing colors of ink/paper/add-ones is the most comfortable part, probably because of past study, work, a hobby. Design is slower. (I’m not into card sketches, though I refer to a few ideas that are sketch-related (?), just a laminated card with words like re-size, flip, angle, multiply, off the edge, neutralize!

To remember a background process, colors or mediums, I occasionally jot notes on Post-Its.

Cards are made for specific people as needed, so quantity/pace isn’t on my radar. That could change if I joined a card RAK, made regular donations or sold cards, but it’s not in the cards right now, no pun intended. :rolleyes:

I keep screenshots, snips, URLs of cards or other things for inspiration. Having them hard copy could be nice but not enough to take the time. (No to Pinterest.)

Goals:showing up regularly is #1. I’ll schedule 4 days a week on my calendar. #2 is narrowing down techniques/supplies. That is where a self challenge is needed. #3 is winnowing down supplies more, like I’m doing with 6x6 paper and will do again with stamps and dies, though I did a big purge a while back.

To echo what you said to @bwarnerccf about gesso - yes, it works so well to soften in-your-face or meh designs, and even if not into mixed media, just some good white gesso and a light touch with a brush is it, quick and fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 04:42 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bwarnersccf

My husband gave me a book on Practical Origami that is mostly to make boxes or envelopes. I found I use these to package up cookies or small gifts going to my children's friends or quick items for work where pretty packaging is not the biggest concern, just something a little nicer than Tupperware. I quickly used up about 3 inches of 12x12 that I didn't like in a couple of months because you don't really see the pattern, just an impression of colour. I was actually surprised by how nice the boxes look given the fact I hated the paper when it was flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank you

Great ideas from so many. I also use the patterned paper I don’t t like for envelopes. It really does look nice. My goal for 2020 is to not buy anything just because it is pretty or on a really great sale. I am only going to buy if I run out of a supply I need ( like tape) or if I have a project I am working on that I can’t substitute something I already own. I really need to use what I have. I have probably 200 or more stamp sets and die sets that have never been touched so need to use them. I was spending so much time organizing that I didn’t have time to craft. I need to use what I have is order to reduce the quantity so I actually can get better organized. I have decided in order to accomplish this, I will use what is on my work tables and what is out in the open( and therefore not put away and organized) before digging in to unused paper pads and more organized materials whenever possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 07:07 AM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Like others I am going to give you a BIG thank you for taking the time to do this. Been interesting reading.

Love the quote. And agree with the idea that one has to schedule this. Seriously. Like you do going to the gym or whatever. It is great the kids have 49 activities but you count too and you wont ever get this time back.
1 hour a day is not going to cause any implosions generally speaking.

I am going to look at this from a different angle for a moment.
For the married/coupled people...I think we all know the "whatever happened?" feeling that your lives have become humdrum. You feel this constant sense of mild fatigue (if not severe), like you are just going through the motions. You may know joy, but how much of that comes from the kids and NOT something you are doing?

Well-IMHO (I am not a therapist but am older)-part of that is you have changed. When you are dating you are doing other things. You belonged to book reading clubs and bowling teams or whatever. That stuff colors who you are. If you give it all up to be in the marriage or a parent...you are not bringing to the table what you used to. This goes for BOTH men and women. All your talk of the day is now kid stuff, the broken DW, work, etc. NOT the fun stuff that used to re-charge your batteries. People are happy if they get a date night once every couple weeks. You have NO time to yourself...or with your friends w/o the spouse. That time is valuable and important.

So I am saying even if you can't talk to the spouse about a DP you love...you can be happy from playing with it at the dinner table. You can show the cards you have made. Having fun lightens the soul and how you interact with people. Helps to deal with the mundane PITAs like the DW broke.

I always supported and pushed my DH to get out there with his friends to play golf. (The only thing I like about golf is driving the cart LOL) It gave him time away from the apt, away from me, time with old school friends-esp MALE ones. He came home happy every time.

Tying it back in here....see making time for yourself as IMPORTANT b/c it is. It is SO easy to get swept up and drown in the mundane crap.

Having said that...I have to practice it myself. I have to figure out one hour that I can CONSISTENTLY show up to my craft desk. For me that will be key to building the habit. If I do it at all different times it is way too easy to not to do it at all because I suddenly remembered I need milk at the store.

I am organized as you said for storage...but it works for me bc I have indexed all my stamps so if I want to do a baby card for example I open that book and I immediately see all my choices.

I have been thinking about the DP...even though I am organized by theme...it is not by Mfg. All the Christmas paper is together...I might have the hollies together, but not by mfg and I realize now unless I pull the paper from a pad or am careful about how I cut a 12 x 12 to leave the mfg on it I may not know the source. I sure as H have NO idea when I bought it. Esp as I often get it from "downlines" like discount houses so it is very likely to be older paper.
Forget in the scraps. I definitely have NO idea where that solid paper came from and probably patterns with super rare exception. I might be able to guess the solids from my swatches or be close since one color could be with 3 different companies.

What I did do in a very few cases was when I got a pattern at a store down in PA...I matched it with a solid and I stored them that way. (I don't usually match product.) I have a particular design I want to do with those.

I have been debating how I will tackle the "use it all plan"..I was thinking about just starting at one end and working my way across. Like the Julia movie where she works her way through Child's cookbook. But the obvious problem there is I could be in a "theme" possibly for a LONG time (ie florals)

I do like the dot stickers bc with my memory I might not remember if I have used a stamp if enough time passes.

Love the serendipity idea. Beth could you close your eyes and pick from a box? You might know the topic but not the exact set?

That origami thing sounds very cool for the less loved papers! I finally got a die for envelope liners (vs the stencil I have to tracing them) so I am thinking that may be a way it goes. Or I give it away. I am noticing I have a pretty narrow palette so to speak about what I like so pads also have some I don't. The trick is do I like at least 75% of it and is it on deep sale since I wont use 25%.

I am always interested to see what people do with what I gave them and I am often surprised and a little sad when it is very pretty. Both is b/c I don't have the vision to see it in that way. I was sure it was not attractive and yet here it is being pretty. Maybe over time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ah, wavejumper, I think that your last paragraph is why so many of us hang onto so much - we're afraid that we'll miss "seeing" the possibility in the whatever-it-was we gave away and be sad...

The really, really good news is that there is NO shortage of MORE out there (and, most likely, already in your own space) and it isn't possible to use it all up, anyway, so hooray for whoever had the vision to bring out the best in that thing you gave them! And hooray to you for providing them the means to bring that vision out into the world!

I've purged nearly as much as I've ever bought over the years and can honestly say that out of the hundreds and hundreds of things I've passed out into the flow, I am sitting here trying to recall ANY of them that I actually miss, and can't do it! I mostly can't even remember what they were, in fact! This is what I console myself with when I do another ruthless purge - I may miss it for a minute or two, but then I won't even remember that I had it to begin with, so I won't miss it ever again...

I think this is one of my main motivating factors in stamping out images/sentiments that have never seen ink - to see if I like them enough to keep them or if I can (somewhat) safely move them out into the flow...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Ah, wavejumper, I think that your last paragraph is why so many of us hang onto so much - we're afraid that we'll miss "seeing" the possibility in the whatever-it-was we gave away and be sad...

The really, really good news is that there is NO shortage of MORE out there (and, most likely, already in your own space) and it isn't possible to use it all up, anyway, so hooray for whoever had the vision to bring out the best in that thing you gave them! And hooray to you for providing them the means to bring that vision out into the world!

I've purged nearly as much as I've ever bought over the years and can honestly say that out of the hundreds and hundreds of things I've passed out into the flow, I am sitting here trying to recall ANY of them that I actually miss, and can't do it! I mostly can't even remember what they were, in fact! This is what I console myself with when I do another ruthless purge - I may miss it for a minute or two, but then I won't even remember that I had it to begin with, so I won't miss it ever again...

I think this is one of my main motivating factors in stamping out images/sentiments that have never seen ink - to see if I like them enough to keep them or if I can (somewhat) safely move them out into the flow...

Yes, that. ^^

I see so many wonderful cards and other paper crafts I admire hugely. Yet they are not what I’d make - because they’re not my voice. Like being an alto instead of a soprano.

So it’s freeing and makes me happy that paper that doesn’t inspire me goes to someone who will fly with it. Sending it away does not subtract anything, and will actually add, because everything left is a good fit.

Sometimes it is fun to take an “ugly” and figure out a way to use it. Making envelopes, gesso-ing, die cutting, cutting into strips or squares (so it isn’t one ugly mass). I do that with ugly backgrounds or Gelli prints.

But if (make pretend) 300 sheets of patterned paper in a stash are loved, why are another 500 sheets needed that aren’t? There are only so many hours in the day - in a year - to use it up. And in all likelihood more will be purchased that is loved. So it’s taking up space and we have this idea that maybe we’ll change... ?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Truth-teller Danielle LaPorte says it best:

"You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you."

Read the rest of the story here: The Law of the Ugly Chair

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #40  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Truth-teller Danielle LaPorte says it best:

"You're giving sacred space to something that isn't sacred to you."

Read the rest of the story here: The Law of the Ugly Chair

I so heart that. Hugely. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes