Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts
Default The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...

February is OfficeSupplyMonth (keyword). So, dust off those paper clips, binder clips, staples, etc., that have been gathering dust since you last used them - or maybe since you bought them?!

I have numerous colored and shaped paper clips, mini binder clips and staples! Plus, multiple packs of Fastenater fancy staples. That’s just the stuff I know about - could be more hiding in drawers. I’m looking forward to making some cards with those oldies but goodies. I might even decorate a clipboard like we did way back when. I kept a couple (just in case) when I gave about 20 of them to a local Girl Scout troop.

Can’t wait to see what you all come up with! Please remember to use OfficeSupplyMonth as a keyword when you upload your creations.

OfficeSupplyMonth Gallery Search

Last edited by PJBstamper2; 02-01-2021 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Link to gallery search added
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Off to pull out those office supplies and get crafting Pam! Now I'm really intrigued about your altered clipboards and hope you show one off. The mini binder clips turned out to be too bulky to add to my cards for mailing (like buttons, and mini clothespins), so I usually use them to clip to handmade notebooks that I give as stocking stuffers or for holidays. I ended up giving most of my mini-clothespins to my granddaughters to use for clipping colored sand packets together (from a kit they have). Staples are always great on masculine cards, especially.
I even think I have some Fastenator staples around here somewhere..and I didn't even buy a Fastenater!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I even think I have some Fastenator staples around here somewhere..and I didn't even buy a Fastenater!
Karen
That made me laugh - thanks for the giggle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2021, 10:16 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm loving these unofficial challenges! Dusted off my hodgepodge hardware set and used one of the paperclips from the set on my most recent card I think my card is still pending, it's not showing up in the officesupplymonth gallery yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, after much fiddling around and reorganizing my craft supplies (which is ongoing), I pulled out this gold heart shaped paper clip and added it to a vintage look card. Not only did I use one of those hoarded shaped clips, but I also used some REALLY old metallic gold ribbon. I have a lot of colored, coated paper clips as well, and those are my next project. Less hoarding, more crafting!! Added to the gallery, but here it is as well:

Attached Thumbnails
The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...-vintage-collage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Nice! I’ve been looking at the shaped paper clips in my crafting space every time I go in there. I’m thinking the only way I’ll use up a bunch of them is to string them together in to a necklace! It’s either that or hang them on our Christmas tree (which stays up year round cause we recycled the box).

Last edited by PJBstamper2; 02-16-2021 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Nice! I’ve been looking at the shaped paper clips in my crafting space every time I go in there. I’m thinking the only way I’ll use up a bunch of them is two string them together in to a necklace! It’s either that or hang them on our Christmas tree (which stays up year round cause we recycled the box).
Haha! I thought I was bad when I left our Christmas village up nearly all year. We don't even put up a Christmas tree anymore, with my kids all grown up and gone. We had recycled the box with ours too, before we donated it, so kept it in two garbage bags in the attic.
I doubt that I'll ever use up all my shaped paper clips, but I figure that one is better than none. Argh...at this rate, my daughter will have to haul bags and boxes full of stuff like this to Goodwill when I'm gone.
Off to my craft room to see if I can use TWO shaped clips on the next card,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 10:47 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

In our defense, it sits in the corner of a room we don’t use often. Plus, my husband tried to put it away once and when the branches wouldn’t fold back up, he tied them which mangled them, so I made him undo that before they were permanently misaligned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

In our defense, it sits in the corner of a room we don’t use often. Plus, my husband tried to put it away once and when the branches wouldn’t fold back up, he tied them which mangled them, so I made him undo that before they were permanently misaligned.
If you leave the tree undecorated, it's just like a regular house plant...just a large one! I'm terrible at keeping plants alive and can't even manage not to kill a succulent (which people say are people proof). So we only have one plant in our home...a fake one on top of the bookcase!
The fake tree we owned, back then, came apart into 3 sections, that folded up. That made it easier to store..but still ridiculous because we had to climb a ladder to put it in the garage attic. I was SO glad to donate that tree!
I do, however, still own the Christmas village. It's in the garage in the original box and I keep hoping my daughter will want it. It's really cute, with working lights and everything, but I'm already have too much stuff sitting around here to put up anything more. Can't believe I used to decorate the entire house for Christmas, and run a business at the same time.
karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 12:41 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have used the colored and decorative paper clips as Christmas tree ornament hangers especially on the kids' and grandkids' precious artwork. Since I avoid lumpy bumpy layers (I mail most of my cards) my office supply will be "hole reinforcements". I bought a large pack to use on tags - not realizing how few I really needed and how quickly they multiply in the dark!
GramT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

GramT - I found a pack of hole reinforcements in a drawer yesterday. I will probably use those on a card, too. I hope you’ll use the OfficeSupplyMonth keyword to any projects you upload to your gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramTView Post
We have used the colored and decorative paper clips as Christmas tree ornament hangers especially on the kids' and grandkids' precious artwork. Since I avoid lumpy bumpy layers (I mail most of my cards) my office supply will be "hole reinforcements". I bought a large pack to use on tags - not realizing how few I really needed and how quickly they multiply in the dark!
GramT
Oh my goodness, I have packages of those too! I could claim to have a legitimate use for those, as I did use a few as they were intended to be used. But THEN, I inked and colored some up to use with tags, and so of course I thought I needed another package. Both those packages are still sitting in a drawer now. Great reminder of yet another office supply to be used.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Yay! I actually made a card with staples last night. I kept trying to use more shaped clips, but nothing looked right. So, being of a flexible mind, I switched over to staples and this happened. In addition to the staples, I used another eyelet and found some nice blue hemp twine that I didn't even know I had.
I use staples often, for making tiny booklets and notepads, but rarely use them on a card front anymore. That will have to change.
Attached Thumbnails
The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...-hot-air.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I uploaded two more OfficeSupplyMonth cards. Why did I think I needed so many shaped/colored paper clips?!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I uploaded two more OfficeSupplyMonth cards. Why did I think I needed so many shaped/colored paper clips?!!
Same reason we thought we needed so much of any of this stuff, haha! Who knows what were were thinking? The shaped paper clips are at least flat enough to use on cards but the worst thing ever are those mini clothespins. Cute, but utterly useless! (and no, we do not need a mini-clothespin month...eek!)
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 12:58 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

FYI - upcoming Unofficial Challnges:

March - Oldies But Goodies. Use stamps designed before 2000. This idea was partially inspired by the following thread

Flashback Stamping

April - Chipboard

May - Ribbon. Yes, we realize that lots of people still use ribbon, but Kazeka and I haven’t used it on cards regularly in quite some time. Plus, we both have quite a stash of ribbon just sitting around.

I look forward to seeing what you all create! I’ll post the keyword when I start a thread for each challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the early notice for the next few "official whatever" challenge items. I especially need the inspiration to use older stamps. When I discovered my love of cardmaking I bought quite a few stamps and stamp sets and some are still unused. I think I suffered with "full set syndrome" and have ribbon in every width of every color.
​GramT

​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GramTView Post
Thanks for the early notice for the next few "official whatever" challenge items. I especially need the inspiration to use older stamps. When I discovered my love of cardmaking I bought quite a few stamps and stamp sets and some are still unused. I think I suffered with "full set syndrome" and have ribbon in every width of every color.
​GramT

​​​​
You, and everyone else! I think a lot of us went overboard when we first started stamping, and got way too much of everything. I found that there wasn't enough time in a day, or a month, or a year, to use even half of it. I had pots of paint that dried in the jars, paper that faded due to incorrectly storing it, and even a few stamps that deteriorated over time.
Don't even get me started on the ribbon, argh! I even bought ribbon that is 2 inches wide, which is way too wide to put on a card (or a scrapbook layout for that matter). So, anything to get us using some of that old stash is a good thing, right? Sometimes, even talking about it reminds us of that old stash, and spurs some creativity.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

FYI - upcoming Unofficial Challnges:

March - Oldies But Goodies. Use stamps designed before 2000. This idea was partially inspired by the following thread

Flashback Stamping

April - Chipboard

May - Ribbon. Yes, we realize that lots of people still use ribbon, but Kazeka and I haven’t used it on cards regularly in quite some time. Plus, we both have quite a stash of ribbon just sitting around.

I look forward to seeing what you all create! I’ll post the keyword when I start a thread for each challenge.
I think that a lot of us think of old stamps as being outdated, but actually, some of my oldest stamps are more timeless than the new ones. It will be fun to take the old stamps and make them new again!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2021, 07:19 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,021 Likes on 773 Posts

Hi Karen/kazeka- Just an FYI, your private message inbox is full. I remembered I had seen you on this thread so I hope you get this message!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
Hi Karen/kazeka- Just an FYI, your private message inbox is full. I remembered I had seen you on this thread so I hope you get this message!
Thanks Terry, I just cleared some of my old messages. They really do stack up quickly when you chat as much as I do. Great memory for tracking me down!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I spent some time in my craft space yesterday. I made some cards to send out as RAKS. I cased my own card and added some staples and foam tape.
Attached Thumbnails
The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...-feb-rak.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I spent some time in my craft space yesterday. I made some cards to send out as RAKS. I cased my own card and added some staples and foam tape.
Oooh, love this plaid and staple card design. I find that staples really look great on cards that are suitable for guys, or non-frilly ones. The little bit of metal looks wonderful against the plaid and large die cut word..
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Another Office Supply card

Okay, this only used one tiny metal spiral clip but it's a step forward at least. I tried several different clips on this card but they were too large, or the wrong shape. When I found this little bitty spiral clip I was thrilled. I have a lot of shaped clips, and some of them are rubber coated, so a bit bulkier. I'm determined to use at least some of them as well this month.
Karen
Attached Thumbnails
The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...-happy-everything.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I love that background paper! I’m a little disappointed with myself that I didn’t use up more of my office supply stash. I’m working on a clipboard but that will only use one small binder clip.

I’ll be posting the thread for March later - having trouble thinking of a keyword since OldiesButGoodiesMonth is too long!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you're going to have a regular ongoing monthly challenge, Pam and Karen, then maybe the challenges section of the forum would be more where it belongs? Down under the daily challenge forums and things like VSN and scrapbook challenges, there's a section where anybody can host and post: Forums at Splitcoaststampers. Just suggesting ;-). You could always also include a link to it in your signature.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Cook22 - responding in a PM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Default decorated clipboard

My final OfficeSupplyMonth project...

I still have to figure how how to clean the silver clip part. For it's previous décor, I had glued some paper flowers to the clip. I used Good Gone to get the sticky stuff off, but it's still discolored.

I hope the picture is not too big
Attached Thumbnails
The Unofficial Office Supply Challenge...-clipboard2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2021, 08:18 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

My final OfficeSupplyMonth project...

I still have to figure how how to clean the silver clip part. For it's previous décor, I had glued some paper flowers to the clip. I used Good Gone to get the sticky stuff off, but it's still discolored.

I hope the picture is not too big
Oh, what a fun project. I actually kind of like the discolored silver clip part...gives a shabby chic look! I have a couple of really ugly, old clipboards that could use a re-do as well.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes