Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unmounted rubber stamps

I was looking for a thread re mounted/unmounted rubber stamps but couldn't find it - sorry if I'm in the wrong place...I have purchased many mounted rubber stamps(on wooden blocks) as well as acrylics. My question is - IF a person buys unmounted rubber stamps and does NOT put them on a block, how does a person stamp with them. I have seen many that are just rubber (both sides of the stamp) and wonder how practical they are. I have heard people applying removable adhesive to one side and then stamping with them on an acrylic block. Of course, the unmounted are easier to store - takes up less space and, of course, cheaper, but are they worth the investment. I have seen some very nice unmounted rubber stamps (reasonably priced) and I'm anxious to hear what people think of them.

Thank you in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Any I've unmounted, I've put on EZ Mount foam. I've never tried stamping straight from rubber with no foam mounting. If you do that, it may help to stamp with a foam mat underneath to get a good impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Most of the questions like this are over in the Mission: Organization forum, but I can answer your immediate question, anyway. I've unmounted ALL of my rubber stamps and also have quite a few photopolymer and acrylic ones. I use them all with acrylic blocks. For the unmounted rubber, I've put a thinned-down version of Alene's Tack It Over and Over or some Sailor 2-in-1 glue on the back so that they'll be tacky and stick to the block. I store them on laminated cardstock sheets in binders (5 1/2" x 8 1/2" size). Others put Tack 'n' Peel on the blocks themselves, and leave the rubber alone. For more information, and to get some ideas on what will work best for you, check out these threads:

Unmounting stamps - ez-foam or Aleene's Tack It Over & Over? by afdish at Splitcoaststampers
Anyone with Unmounting regrets?? by ChrisE at Splitcoaststampers

I'm sure there are others, but that's a good start... Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I unmounted all but about 50 of mine, I am lazy I just use a tombow or similar, give it good smear on the back on the rubber and smack it on the acrylic block and wipe the glue off both when I am done....works for me.

If it is a detailed stamp I will stamp on some foam but other then that I stamp on my cutting mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Oh Sue, THANK YOU so much. This was very helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Oh wow!!! What great ideas....I should have asked this question ages ago - LOL

Thanks again everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I unmounted all but about 50 of mine, I am lazy I just use a tombow or similar, give it good smear on the back on the rubber and smack it on the acrylic block and wipe the glue off both when I am done....works for me.

If it is a detailed stamp I will stamp on some foam but other then that I stamp on my cutting mat.

Thanks for your lazy method, lol. I am that sort, too. If it's a lot of hassle, I generally skip it.

I don't have that many bare rubber stamps, but do have a few that I like and use. I was putting double-stick tape on my acrylic block each time I needed to use a bare rubber stamp. It was a pain to peel off, too. Tombow sounds like a much easier way to do it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I've unmounted most of my stamps. The majority of them are on EZ Mount; some are on the original foam coated with repositionable glue, and just a few are bare rubber.

Most of them that I've tried stamp just fine with no cushion; I just like the feel of the EZ Mount better. I also need something on the back of the stamp to make it stick to my storage boards.

Instead of regular double-stick tape, try Scotch Poster Tape. It's very easy to remove from the block when you're done and it doesn't leave any sticky residue behind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Great question... what is the reason for watering down the Alene's? When I did my first unmounting I didn't water it down - but now I've seen several posts and am wondering if I missed something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyGirlView Post
Great question... what is the reason for watering down the Alene's? When I did my first unmounting I didn't water it down - but now I've seen several posts and am wondering if I missed something.
Just so its not soooo sticky.. Thats all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I was wondering myself how the stamps would come out just rubber on acrylic. Post-It makes these 1" clear squares that are double sided, stickies. They're meant to be used to adhere anything to walls, etc. and not leave any marks when removed. They're reusable and can be cut smaller if desired. I was thinking of giving those a try with rubber stamps adhering them to the acrylic and then just taking them off and putting them back on the package sheet.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I could come up with a storage solution that I thought would be manageable and easy to find the stamp I want, I'd do bare rubber with nothing on it, and Tack 'n' Peel on the blocks and call it a day. So far, though, I haven't been able to brainstorm a good way to store stamps that don't stick to anything. Having a jumble of rubber in a drawer sounds like a nightmare... I've used poster tape with stamps that I haven't had a chance to add glue to the backs, and it works just fine. And yes, just like Jennifer said, the reason to thin down the TIOO is so it's less tacky (I only thin it down a tiny bit, and lately I've just been putting a bit in the palm of my hand, adding a drop of water, mixing it with the index finger of my other hand and smearing it on the back of the stamp with the same finger. In case you missed it, I'm low-tech and lazy (at least on this score...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Sue - with TIO&O, low tech and lazy is the only way to go. I've tried applying it with a sponge applicator, thinning it down and putting it in a spray bottle, yada yada yada - and the way that works the best is to just smear it on with your finger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally concur... However, my favorite will always be Sailor 2-in-1 Glue, but I can only find it online, and haven't bothered to buy more lately, since the TIO&O is right here (back to that lazy thing again )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

A few years back I unmounted several thousand stamps and IMHO I recommend EZ mount. Yes, it's expensive but in the long run, it saved me so much time. I fully understand the cost is prohibitive for some, but for me I just bit the bullet and some bought the EZ mount every month.

TIO&O Pros: Inexpensive; can be found a local hobby stores

TIO&O Cons:

It took me a while to figure out the right amount - too much and it's an uneven finish and will pull away from the stamp; too little and it doesn't hold

I was a sticky mess. I found it was best to unmount a batch, apply the TIO&O and set aside to dry. My counters in my stamp room were covered with drying stamps.

Because there is no foam backing, detail stamps meant I need to use a foam pad. I wasn't used to this so I kept forgetting until I had to restamp the image to get a clear impression.

After a few years, some of the stamps didn't stay down in their cases and they curled.

After awhile, stamps I used all the time lost their stickiness after repeated cleanings and of course I didn't notice until the stamp fell off the block onto my project and left an ink smudge.
__

I know a lot of stampers swear by TIO&O, but for me I won't use it again. I'm a lazy stamper and I don't want to have to mess around with it. For me EZ mount is the "eziest".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Huh. I don't use glue. All I use are small amounts of ATG tape here and there on the acrylic block. The vast majority of my rubber stamps have no cling foam and are only bare rubber. I have two sets of blocks. One pristine set for photopolymer or cheap clear stamps and cling rubber stamps, and the second set for bare rubber. The second set has a whole bunch of little bits of ATG tape. When the stickiness wears out I just put new tape on. All of my smaller unmounted bare rubber stamps are also taped with ATG tape to sheets of cardstock or sheets of plastic (clear cardstock). So sometimes when I peel off a bare rubber stamp, it has bits of ATG tape on it, which is fine with me 'cause then I just stick it onto the block, which also has bits of ATG tape on it. Sometimes a bit of tape gets bunched up and then the stamp can stamp unevenly - that's when I have to scrap off that bit of tape. That's the most inconvenient thing, but it doesn't happen very often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

Does anyone know which online stores have the best prices on the EZ Mount?
I checked a few but the shipping charges are high. I would be buying at least 10 sheets if I can find a good price.
Thanks for al the info already given about unmounted stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I'm anxious to hear (also from Canada) where I can buy the EZ mount as well. Shipping charges to Canada can be very expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh my. My stamps at the moment, only 30% of them are "organized". By that I mean arranged in CD cases by theme. It's a big job to organize the way I want them. :eek:
The others are in piles of theme, or baggies... a nightmare to a Type A personality, I'm sure. LOL! BUT Unmounted stamps became my method before it was a known way to use stamps. I think I picked up one at a yard sale or somewhere like that and realized HEY! that would save me so much room! The downfall is not remembering who the stamp is made by if not written directly on the back.
I used to mount mine on ez foam but it became, expensive and just another step so I switched to raw rubber, with either tac it over and over on the back (works GREAT) or double stick tape on the block. Then I use a mouse pad under my paper for the "cushion." It works out fabulously and I can double up the raw rubber ones in the CD cases so that saves me even more room in storage.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4atcView Post
Does anyone know which online stores have the best prices on the EZ Mount?
I checked a few but the shipping charges are high. I would be buying at least 10 sheets if I can find a good price.
Thanks for al the info already given about unmounted stamps!
VLVS
is where I used to buy mine from. Great quality.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." - Nin
Prayers for Peace On Earth Within Our Time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use a different method. I use Elmer's Repositionable Glue Stick on all my unmounted stamps. I apply it on the back, stick it on the acrylic block, & stamp. When I clean my stamp I just use my homemade stamp cleaner to remove the glue. Quick & easy. I have tried several methods and this is my favorite.

I love unmounted stamps. Most of my stamp purchases are unmounted.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

DeeAnn,
So, do you put the glue directly on the rubber stamp? then the block, ink and stamp? When I've tried and unmounted rubber, I seem to lose detail in the middle area. I guess I need more practice.
Thanks,
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I either mount them on EZ Mount or use Tack 'n Peel.

T'nP is a film you attach to a few dedicated acrylic blocks, with a stick-free cover sheet to keep it clean it when not in use. Peel away the cover sheet and it's a tacky surface. You put your bare rubber stamp on the tacky surface, stamp, then remove your stamp when you're done, and replace the cover sheet. It's a breeze and less costly or time consuming than EZ mount.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tsuk...ient=firefox-a
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Now that sounds like a cool product.

I'd bought a spray cleaner and "sticky" spray for my Cricut sheets. I'd bet I can use that on the acrylic blocks. I just need to find some release paper to put on the blocks to keep them clean.
mob
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

yep, I just use Allene's and go straight from box to DVD case. I can store double the number of stamps in a DVD case without having the foam on them. I always stamp on a foam sheet, but I do that with cling and wood mounted too. I'm just too lazy to move stuff.

If I have a choice of plain rubber, I always pick that one. I get such crisp images out of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

However, I should add that my fiskars foam cornered stamping block doesn't work with the plain rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobrien207View Post
DeeAnn,
So, do you put the glue directly on the rubber stamp? then the block, ink and stamp? When I've tried and unmounted rubber, I seem to lose detail in the middle area. I guess I need more practice.
Thanks,
mob
Yes, exactly that way. I also stamp on a piece of fun foam I bought at the local craft store. I paid $1.00 for it. That gives me the extra cushion to get nice images. I lay my cardstock on the foam. Stamp my image. I get a perfect images every time. I use a variety of inks from Versafine to Stampin Up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have tried lots of methods and for me Aleene's T&O works best, if it stops sticking I just recoat the back of the stamp and it does not take long to dry an hour of 2 at most, if it is summertime in TX then even less, lol. I even drop my um's into a pan of water after until I'm done stamping and ready to clean up. The T&O is fine once it dries again. To get rid of some of the initial stickyness I stick them to my hand and arms for a moment, I'm sure I am a sight with stamps stuck on both arms up to my elbows but it sure makes a difference.

For those using washable glue, try a washable glue stick. I find it easier and quicker that liquid glues. I do this all the time for new stamps I haven't put T&O on yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

WOW!!! Proof that no humidity makes a difference. I put a very thin layer over the stamp image, wait 10 minutes, slap it to the palm of my hand once or twice, and it's good to go. I can't imagine waiting an hour! I'd go nuts. hee hee.

But 4-7% humidity is our norm, so that probably helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #30  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyGirlView Post
No need to water it down, just use less and really spread it out with a thin scrap of card stock. It only takes a drop or two per stamp. Let it dry for 15 minutes or untiol it's clear and not milky and stick it to the back of your hand... done! If you do the "hand jive" stickng it on hand or on some portion of your skin, the glue is now just ike a post-it and will adhere to a clear block beautifully without picking up dust and junk! Its not at all a sticky mess!

You can either do this with a bare rubber stamp or unmount a wood mount or an an old style SU stamp, pull the sticker off the front, adhere the sticker to the foam, trim and use your TIOAO! YOu'll have the best of both worlds, good adhesion and easy storage. Plus youll have the image to see through the block, It's cheap too! One bottle of TIOAO for $4 covered over 210 SETS of SU wood mounted stamp sets before I finally had to buy a new bottle.

I loves me my TIOAO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes