Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfrozen CraftWoman

After a mostly five-year hiatus, I've been getting the itch to start stamping again. So I feel like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer after being gone for so long...so what have I missed? What are the hot new companies? What companies went away? (RIP Papercrafts Mag) What are the new owls? (or are owls still the new owls?) What are the best challenges out there? (I mean, *besides* all the awesome SCS ones--so excited that it's a VSN week this week!) Do I need a misti? What is a misti? Do you think my inks will work, and if not, what inks should I buy? Why do I have two different 12x12 scoring things? (Martha Stewart & Scorpal) Is Echo Park still making the cutest papers? And the eternal question...what's the best white cardstock?

GIVE ME ALL THE STAMPING GOSSIP.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

You definitely need a MISTI. It's a game changer and I love mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #3  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
After a mostly five-year hiatus, I've been getting the itch to start stamping again. So I feel like Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer after being gone for so long...so what have I missed? What are the hot new companies? What companies went away? (RIP Papercrafts Mag) What are the new owls? (or are owls still the new owls?) What are the best challenges out there? (I mean, *besides* all the awesome SCS ones--so excited that it's a VSN week this week!) Do I need a misti? What is a misti? Do you think my inks will work, and if not, what inks should I buy? Why do I have two different 12x12 scoring things? (Martha Stewart & Scorpal) Is Echo Park still making the cutest papers? And the eternal question...what's the best white cardstock?

GIVE ME ALL THE STAMPING GOSSIP.

Welcome back. I'm sure you will get a ton of good advice about what to get. But I'm here to second the recommendation for the Misti. The Misti was the original stamp positioning tool (and I still prefer it to the newcomers).

GinaK has a some awesome white card stock but a lot of people (still?) prefer the 80lb or 100lb Neenah Classic Crest Solar White/ I say still because I think it has been popular for more than 5 years so you may already have it.

Your inks very well may work. If they are dry, you could try using some of Ranger's ink refresher on the ones you own before buying more (or maybe just buy a re-inker).

I love the new distress oxide inks (think dye ink with the best of pigment ink properties but none of the mess).

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome back
Mistis (stamp positioners-there are a couple other brands) are massively popular. The idea is that it is way better than the thing-a-ma-jig for over stamping.

Layering stamps which work well on them are very popular. 3-4 layers. Altenew does a lot of them. So do other companies.

Turn around stamps are a fun thing for backgrounds. Concord on 9th does those. Watch their site, Jen McGuire or YT for how it works.

Distress ink oxides are a hot new ink. People feel they blend even better than original Distress and other techniques are possible with them as they have pigment properties.

Watercoloring is way HUGE now. WC pencils, markers, paints both high and low $$, check Kristina Werner-she did a good blog on it. People are painting with water based inks like distress. Liquid WCs, peerless (color saturated paper)....no line by using very pale inks to stamp the image is one form people are loving.

We saw sloths and llamas and other critters come and go. Crazy birds, cats and dogs by Holtz. House mouse is still going strong (both on their own site and through Stampendous). As are Penny Black, Hero Arts, etc.

We have more access to international brands-either with direct buys online or via companies like Topflight.

Digital stamps are gaining strength daily. Many companies have started with great designs.

Tons of DP companies still around. Depends on what style you like. You can look at places like A Cherry on Top, Scrapbooking for Less etc to see what designs are out there.

So that's a start. More will weigh in. Look at the gallery-that will be informative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 11:08 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I took a look at your gallery and saw that you were a Papertrey Ink fan. They're still going strong, although Nichole Heady has left the company. And I think they still have the best white cardstock.

New companies:

Altenew - I LOVE their inks and their floral sets are divine. If you like multi-step stamping, then Altenew should definitely be on your list.

Honeybee Stamps - I love their sentiment sets, which are built around a word and its many variations. For example, thanks, thankful, thankfully, Thanksgiving. Check them out and you can see clearer what I mean.

The Ton. - there's not much that I don't love there. Their multi-step sets are unlike anything else out there. They have florals, but they also have a waterfall, an ocean wave, beer, a motorcycle, a golf course scene.

Concord & 9th - they are design geniuses. So many innovative stamps & dies that work with previous and future releases.

Sequins are hot as an embellishment, as are Nuvo drops (like Glossy Accents, but in colors and different finishes and used like enamel dots). Foiling was a trend (and still is with me). Alcohol inks are back and bigger than ever, which brings me to Yupo. A synthetic paper made from polypropylene pellets, 100% recyclable, is super smooth, waterproof and cannot be torn.

The biggest innovation to hit the stamping world in a long time is the MISTI. And you definitely, positively NEED one. To be able to stamp an image again in exactly the same spot, to be able to stamp your sentiment straight , to be able to stamp your diecuts perfectly centered, to speed up the process of stamping multiples of a card. There are so many reasons to buy one, but it's late and I'm tired.

Welcome back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 03:26 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

Echo Park still makes really great paper and stuff. Also check out Photo Play, Bo Bunny Fancy Pants Designs. Those are my very faves in this still-crowded world of crafting. Get your hands on a Stampin' Up! catalog, of course, and see how things have changed in the stamping world.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 03:52 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suggest you check out websites for some of the designers/companies--Sandy Allnock, Jennifer McGuire, K Werner, Gina K, Debbie Hughes, Sherri Carrol, Becca Feeken, Lawn Fawn, Alltenew, and so many others. These will give you an idea what is happening and perhaps where you want to begin. Welcome back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 AM   #8  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Yay - welcome back!!

Yes you need a MISTI! I think llamas are the new owls. Your inks should be fine, but there are some companies with great inks.

There's a MISTI Monday challenge in our My Sweet Petunia forum so you could win one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Four words:Oxide Inks, Stamping Platforms

You can research different stamping platforms - tons of videos/articles - before jumping. They all do the same thing but have differences. The Tim Holtz/Tonic is my fave though I also have MISTIs. It's extremely sturdy with metal hinges, flippable lid (rubber or photopolymer) so no foam insert, good for heavy handed (CPR) stampers. Others prefer the MISTI and now Stampin' Up has one. Tim is coming out with a smaller one too.

Oxide inks stamp wonderfully, blend amazingly well, and have some properties no other inks do. My fave inks.

Oh, two more words: Versafine Clair. It's a new ink which can be heat embossed many minutes after stamping even though feels dry, comes in vibrant colors and stamps extremely fine details like the original Versafine.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 635 Likes on 361 Posts

YES to the MISTI!!! It is my favorite tool ever. Welcome back and I haven't forgotten you.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

I thought there was a recent thread about different stamping platforms - here you go:
MISTI Stamping Tool or Tim Holtz Stamping Platform? by tracyr2 at Splitcoaststampers All kinds of fun videos out there.

Btw, when I read the title of this thread originally I wondered what a stamp called "unfrozen craftwoman" could possibly look like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Dies are a big deal, too. If you want to get some great layering dies for a great price (or any other fun ones, just because), Gina Marie is a great place to start: https://wholesalecraftingsupplies.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I'm a convert. I recently ordered a die from Gina Marie. It arrived crazily quickly and she included a tiny free die with it that happened to be my style. How can you not love that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say there are a lot more dies that match stamps available now -- much less fussy cutting.

Also it seems to me there's so much more to watch online about any aspect of stamping you want.

And I had not heard of The Ton, so thanks to uncbballfan for that tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2018, 08:12 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, get a MISTI or Tim Holtz device BEFORE you buy new inks. Those devices make re-stamping the image Perfectly, so you can try your ink pads to see if they have enough ink to complete your design. YES to Oxide inks...great fun and great coverage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

My goal for today is checking all of my inks. (And putting some oxide inks in my cart--any fave colors?)

And researching a stamping platform!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
YES to the MISTI!!! It is my favorite tool ever. Welcome back and I haven't forgotten you.

Aw, thanks! It's fun seeing who's still around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:34 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

My goal for today is checking all of my inks. (And putting some oxide inks in my cart--any fave colors?)

Depends on your color schemes, of course, but maybe my all-time fave is worn lipstick. (I do a lot of rose-pink/orange/yellow blending.) Love abandoned coral too, spiced marmalade and wild honey, cracked pistachio (yum), broken china, black soot for contrast, and iced spruce was the big surprise - different in Oxide, love it. I'm sure I missed some.

I'm sure picked raspberry will pop up on a lot of faves lists too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
We saw sloths and llamas and other critters come and go.
OK, I may need to bring back the sloth trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Ok, I need to know more about this Yupo!! Off to search the forums and google! Thanks for all the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint are my faves. Vintage Photo is the best for aging, distressing, etc... you know, to make stuff look like, well, vintage photos lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I *swoon* for Peeled Paint, Pistachio, Concord, Spiced Marmalade, and Picked Raspberry! Very smart of Ranger to offer the reinkers for your faves ... nothing better than a juicy ink pad for consistent fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Worn Lipstick was more coral than I expected, but Lovely! No lipstick color I have ever worn Picked Raspberry is wonderful, very strong. Broken China is deep-sea bluegreen. Iced Spruce is a lovely warm grey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Oh interesting? I "read" worn lipstick as more pinky though not PINK-pink, and grab abandoned coral for a coral-pink. Depending on what colors it's next to iced spruce can read bluish too. Don't you love them? Oxides = desert island inks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 02:14 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Worn Lipstick is definitely not in the blue-pink range, but not as orange as the Coral. They are all wonderful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Ok, Joann's half price sale netted me Tim Holtz's stamping platform and a half-dozen distress oxide inks. And an Echo Park paper pad. And an Avery Elle stamp set that involved BOWS, like shut up and take my money. Oh, wait, they did. Thanks for all of y'all's help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Worn Lipstick is definitely not in the blue-pink range, but not as orange as the Coral. They are all wonderful!
Ditto times 100!

Funny, it never occurred to me to think of "worn" like a color I have worn. What comes to mind is something slightly worn, maybe because Tim is the distress king. Now both versions are in my head. : )

Playing with Oxides yesterday, worn lipstick changed depending on what was next to it, of course. Wild honey and spiced marmalade made it look more "real" pink, not warm, but next to cool colors it looked warmer. And what light it was in affected it. I generally pick up bit of violet undertone to picked raspberry, again depending on what it's next to. Standard color fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I just love what they’ve named those inks. Broken China......so creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Fave colors? All of them 😇 Check out Craft Warehouse online...a Northwest company but they have an awesome sale going on right now - at least I think it is still going on.

If you watch Amy Rysavy at all, Prairie Paper and Ink, she does a prettty amazing job with her three go to colors, picked raspberry, squeezed lemonade, and I want to say, mermaid lagoon, but the blue may be blueprint sketch. Using them, she can get a whole rainbow effect. It is pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 02:04 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My favorite Things just had a new owl set last release...also available are the dies that go with. Absolutely adorable, the set is named , "Hello, Lovely" . It jumped into my cart all by itself last month along with dinosaurs and volcanoes. I don't know how that happens....

Yes to a stamp positioner. Other trends have been sequins and jewels, take a peek online a Pretty Pink Posh and Studio Katia. Both are also carried by Simon Says Stamp.

Llamas are slowly coming into their own...this month's release at My Favorite Things has a lot of fiesta stamps, including some llama images, and a die that cuts a llama looking much like a pi�ata. (Yes this is one of my favorite places to leave money.)

For those looking for a sloth set, MFT has one of those, too...

Distress Oxides get a mixed review...love 'em or hate 'em. I think they are the bees knees, but use them on good paper.

If you haven't tuned in to good internet watching, here are a few I like, and I bet others will chime in:
Jennifer McGuire, best tutorials, and organizational vids, imo
Amy Rysavy, Prairie Paper and Ink...she is just fun, and so creative. Makes you feel like you are ther with a cup of coffee chatting away while she works.
Kristina Warner, designs a lot for Simon Says Stamp, especially amazing for watercoloring and hand-lettering
Taheera Atchia, just a different take on things.
Because Feeken, blog mostly, alternative ugh branching out a little more. shabby chic, very feminine, designs for Spellbinders. Lovely lady.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 03:53 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't forget the WRMK Envelope Boards.... they also have other boards to create boxes of all sizes & kinds, etc.! Oxide Inks- GET THEM ALL!!! LOL I too just discovered The Ton & LOVE THEM! The Ton also has a promotion going on right now with their release, spend so much & get free stamps. You can get up to 2 new sets FREE! AND they're NICE! Becca Feeken Dies are a MUST if they're your style!!! (They're GORGEOUS, so I don't know how they wouldn't be! LOL THE MISTI!!!! Foiling/Gilding are big too! Stenciling & Stencils are big also. You can look around & find nice brushes just for stenciling--- I like Clarity, but Tim Holtz just came out with some too. For the Scor-Boards- I have two. MS- A large one-for those in-between measurements & for larger work pieces, usually 3-D work. Scor-Buddy- by Scor-Pal is smaller & I use it for my card making. Smaller is nicer to work with on a cluttered desk. Scor-Pal is EXCELLENT QUALITY TOO! ;) HAVE FUN CATCHING UP!!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe a 5-year hiatus. I go through withdrawal if I go a couple of days without creating something. Even if I have nothing in mind, I play with backgrounds.

Misti or Tim Holtz platform--definitely a must have. I have the small Misti, which is perfect for card fronts. But you can't do larger cards on it because of the raised border edges. So I got the Tim Holtz platform and love that one too. If you only want one, I would suggest the Tim Holtz one because it's more versatile.

As for card stock, I use Neenah 110 pound for the actual card. I think the Gina K Pure Luxury card stock is the best for blending Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 06:16 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Stamp positioner - I happen to have the Tim Holtz Stamping Platform, which I am very happy with. A great tool when using unmounted and layering stamps or mass producing.
Distress Oxide Inks - so much fun to play with!
Unity Stamp Company - lots of lovely images in top quality red rubber (unmounted).
Alcohol ink markers - lots to choose from - I have the Spectrum Noir collection but a lot of people swear by Copic. I went with SN over Copic primarily due to budget constraints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Mis-tee, Mis-tee, Mis-tee (chanting)
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 08:36 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Definitely a MISTI (or other stamping platform) - don't know how we lived without it! And the Oxide inks. And alcohol inks on Yupo paper. Adding in more mixed media elements is a trend with many people. Penny Black is one of my favourite stamp companies in recent years.

You asked about challenges out there. I looked at your gallery and you seem to be quite a CAS stamper so I'll mention the three recent challenges set up by Loll Thompson and Bonnie Klass (both long-time SCS members) - CAS Mix Up, CAS Watercolour, and CAS Christmas. There are tons more challenges out there - lots of blogs run them.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow Meg I had a meltdown when I lost my mojo for four months :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome back and like everyone the Misti Stamp position-er would have to be on the top of my list. I still use my Stamp-a-ma-jig occasionally but I love clear heat embossing greetings and quotes after I have stamped them in the chosen colour.

Next on my list is Copic Markers for me they will never ever go out of style or favour.

Distress Oxides are the ink pads I'm using the most now.

Have fun discovering new things.

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the Stamp Positioner Age. Once you have tried your new Tim Holtz platform, you'll see the reason for one of the biggest stamping changes in recent years: the decline of wood stamps.
As much as I love the feel and look of wood stamps, they will not work in my Misti, so I never buy them anymore.
Hoping you have oodles of fun with your new stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #38  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Leslie, you can still buy wood stamps if you see one you really want. I'm slowly converting my wood stamps to foam. You can buy the foam on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Crafter's Companion EZ Mount Foam 1/8" Bulk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 03:46 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CicicaraView Post
Welcome to the Stamp Positioner Age. Once you have tried your new Tim Holtz platform, you'll see the reason for one of the biggest stamping changes in recent years: the decline of wood stamps.
As much as I love the feel and look of wood stamps, they will not work in my Misti, so I never buy them anymore.
Hoping you have oodles of fun with your new stuff!

I still buy the wood mounts if I love the design and the price is reasonable, because I unmount everything that isn't photopolymer, anyway. Even brand-spankin'-new rubber on cling foam gets stripped down to bare rubber. I did it because of storage issues, but it certainly helps with using them in a platform (I have two MISTIS, one regular-size and one small) as well!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2018, 04:41 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I PERSONALLY recommend the Misti, because I have one & THEY are THE ORIGINAL! But, just wanted to let you know I found this on sale...... The Tim Holtz-Mini Platform ON SALE! Check here: https://www.scrapbook.com/store/ton-1711e.html&utm_content=%3F%3F+Tim+Holtz+Travel+Stamp+Platform +-+Get+it+HERE+First!&utm_campaign=4-2018+FYI+-+Travel+Stamp+Platform&_bta_tid=23524703692139212851716767359790204668678 08023177674578402344634811315384046959341430401304 41662033158]Tonic Studios Tim Holtz Travel Stamp Platform[/url]
Reply With Quote Likes