Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:40 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh - wink of stella pen

I bought the clear, but when I use it, when you look at the image straight on, it looks muddy and dirty. Am I doing something wrong?
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Have you let your ink dry completely? I have the clear and use it often and have not had the problem you describe.

Also, less is more-once I got the glitter 'stuff' to flow to the brush tip, I have never had to squeeze the barrel again.

Hope you can figure out a solution to your problem. Love my Wink of Stella pen!

Amy Rysavy uses these pens on many of her cards. Maybe, try her blog to see her technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the clear Wink of Stella too. The first time I used it I was really disappointed at the result but once I squeezed it a bit more all the sparkle came down into the nib.

As previously said though don't squeeze too much. Don't want to waste any of the precious glitter!!

Regards
Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

I find the brush version works better for me then the actual Pen. and is it still wet? it may clear up when completely dry, try not to over work it with the glitter.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Have you let your ink dry completely? I have the clear and use it often and have not had the problem you describe.

Also, less is more-once I got the glitter 'stuff' to flow to the brush tip, I have never had to squeeze the barrel again.

Hope you can figure out a solution to your problem. Love my Wink of Stella pen!

Amy Rysavy uses these pens on many of her cards. Maybe, try her blog to see her technique.
Thank you, I found her blog and watched her video. It seems all right on colored cardstock. I'm talking about stamping an image, coloring with prismacolor pencils, then going on very lightly with the pen. When you hold it at an angle, it's gold loveliness, but when you look straight on at the image, it's silvery/dirty colored. I feel fairly confident that I"m using it correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I find the brush version works better for me then the actual Pen. and is it still wet? it may clear up when completely dry, try not to over work it with the glitter.
What is the brush version? Putting the pen on a craft mat, then using a dry brush to apply it????? Is this kind of what you mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Are you using the marker or the brush pen? I much prefer the brush pen results over the markers. I have never liked the clear results over prismacolor pencils unless I use the very slightest touch. I did find that I had a more pronounced problem like you are describing with the 3rd clear brush pen I bought. I had gone through my first 2 making ornaments at Christmas last year. I figured they had changed the formula or something because it was a very apparent difference. I switched to the white color brush pen to use on white paper and it was perfect - especially if you are trying to depict the sparkle of snow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

they have two kinds one is a pen it has a tip like a ball point pen, the other is a brush. it looks more like a make-up type system than a pen, with the brush version you have to assemble it by removing a center divider piece and then squeezing the part where the fluid is until it flows to the brush because the brush comes to you out of the package dry.

if you squeeze it too much you end up with a glop. and it would have that too much on it. ( ask me how i know eh ?) but, if you have the brush barley wet with the fluid it gives the stamped image a subtle glimmer ( total coverage ) when its dry.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Less is more when you're going over a coloured image (now coloured card stock I absolutely glob it on LOL), and if you want more sparkle then let the first coat dry for a bit then add some more. It can look funky sometimes when there's more liquid rather than sparkle coming out - I NEVER squeeze them once I've first established the flow in the beginning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyRView Post
I NEVER squeeze them once I've first established the flow in the beginning.
I love both the Wink of Stella fine point and brush markers. I learned the hard way to NEVER squeeze them once the flow was established in the beginning (what Amy said here). It was only when I squeezed them that I lost the clarity and got the milky coloring.

Enabler alert: they now have Wink of Luna. These are metallic. I have been tempted to get them, but I'm more of a glitter girl than a metallic girl, but I may yet succumb LOL.

Here's some Luna info:
Metallic Brush Wink of Luna, add shine with flair to your project!
Reply With Quote Likes