Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnabout stamp question

I recently got a misti i was so excited i wrote about it on another thread i also got some new stamps and dies and inks
3 turnabout stamps are included
Flower christmas and triangle

I have watched jennifer mcguire and concord and 9th videos on how to use so hoping i will be ok but i have a question its more of a ink question than turnabout

Basically i have recently got some lawn fawn some hero arts and some altenew inks up till now i didnr have any standard dye inks except a few memento inks
I have all distress and love them for techniques but i wanted to also try the oxides so i bought 12 and would love the rest they are awesome to work with

Anyways so i have a few of this and that lawn fawn are a pain cos the colors in the minis ate all over the place was hard to work out what ones to get

And hero arts are kinda the same i donr intend to get all of any one company other than distress im hoping i can just get enough colors but a mix of companies i know the formulations are not exactly the same

My question is with the turnabout stampa can you use all different companies eg distrss oxide hero arts altenew lawn fawn and kinda mix it up and can u mix the oxides witj tbese inks
I'm meaning turn 1 distrss oxide turn 2 lawn fawn turn 3 hero arts turn 4 whatever company or even 3 oxides amd one lawn fawn cos i only have like 12 colours from each company and for cards im doing im unsure if ill be able to find enough colors from one company???
The altenew i got i think 5 sets as i plan to do some stamp layerimg and wanted lots of colors the hero arts i think i have 8 inks 2 packs of the minis 2 more are coming lawn fawn i dont remember if was 16 or 20 inks i loved their bright colors

Jennifer mcguire has talked about mixing companies and oftem with stamp layering she will mix multiple companies i think she said SSS wplus9 and herp arts are the same formula and lawn fawn was similar but altenew was completely different hope i got that right!

I just wasnt sure particularly about the distress oxides and the straight dye inks

Anyways fhanks for your help i am still loxing misti without it i wouldn't be able to use the turnabout stamps

Mostly my stanps are open and i stamp with blsck versafine and use clear or clear sparkle embossing powder

Thanks in advance for all your help
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's totally possible to mix different companies inks, and the Distress Oxides can mix with regular dye inks. I guess I would just suggest trying out different combinations on scrap card stock to see how they react with each other. Hybrid inks, for instance, won't react in the same way as a straight up die ink.

The regular Distress inks may not give you a smooth look, but you can even that out with multiple stamping with the MISTI. Roughing up the surface of your polymer stamps with the heel of your hand can help keep the ink from beading up on the stamp surface, which will give you a smoother look.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Since you are particularly asking about the turnabout stamps (from Concord & 9th, I presume) there is no problem with using different brands. They don't stamp on top of each other at all so there's not that problem.

If it were me, I would make some ink samples for all the inks you have. Pick a solid image and stamp each on a card and label with brand and color. Then make your choices based on how the different colors/brands look together, and on your paper.

It might be a different situation when stamping with layering stamps. Some of the inks might not play well with others, and you might need to stay with one or two brands for an image. Do what Jan said, and do some trial images to see how they play with each other. Distress Oxide has pigment in it, some Hero Arts are straight pigment, Regular Distress is very reactive with water...just practice.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Sure - just clean in between!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Fionna51 to make yourself some stamped samples of all your inks....all your colors....all your brands. And remember that inks will stamp differently on different kinds of paper.
I made a chart of Distress inks (form provided by Tim online) on watercolor paper and on the white cardstock I use most. I used a fairly solid little image in each square then dabbed a bit of water on the edge to keep that change to the color in front of me. LOVE the oxides because I started stamping with pigment inks and appreciate that coverage. You can stamp oxide on top of Distress when dry, with interesting effects with water.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Like others have indicated, as long as you're using dye inks, they can be from any company.

I sometimes use pigment inks with dye inks because I'm choosing by color, not brand, and it's been fine - just the pigment inks dry slower.

Hybrid inks have also worked fine - I've been using a lot of Oxide inks and Versafine Clair lately. Just test on a scrap first, though paper quality affects results so best on the cardstock you generally use. I sometimes break that rule and have even used copy paper.

For ink samples, I stamp a little outline stamp and a solid stamp. I stamp the solid stamp once and next to it stamp it twice, since you can double or triple stamp to make it darker - easy if using a stamping platform.

The exception was for Distress inks (not Oxides) which were done on the chart that Ranger provides (single and double tapped with a finger dauber), but individual swatches work better than charts when trying color combos or checking harmony.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 04-20-2018 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes