Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't fill all the available space � I leave a lot of white space for the design to "breathe." It's definitely a style of "less is more" and while it's not everyone's taste, I like my interiors that way, too! Sometimes when I see YouTube crafters say out loud as they're finishing a card, "...maybe I should stop here�" I usually say to the screen Yes!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 09:51 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
On most design team member blogs, I see cards folded at top - tent fold. I like that. What would the CS dimensions be to cut with fold at top? I never see this fold in pre-made blank cards
Actually, if you buy a set of A2 pre-folded cards, you can always just leave the fold at the top for cards that are 5.5" by 4.25" and the fold at the side. Turn it 90 degrees and you'd have a top fold, landscape card.

But if you want the Portrait card with the fold at the top, you'd need to cut a sheet of 8.5 by 11" cardstock at 4.25" so you'd have a 4.25" by a 11" cardstock, score at 5.5" and fold.

The opposite is true for a landscape layout. Cut the cardstock at 5.5" making a 5.5" by 8.5" cardstock, score at 4.25" and fold.
I hope this helps and is not confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Great topic since I rarely make a card to conform to any size in particular. A2 is usually too small for me. I make the card and make the rest to fit. I do hate when I'm stuck with a card with a 1/8" measurement though. Makes the insides harder to cut. No card protectors work on mine so I'm stuck with baggies or freezer bags. Works for me as far as creativity goes. It gives me more leeway in how I want to embellish or for larger stamps and does not limit my space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 03:42 AM   #44  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What a beautiful group of cards Arlene! Thank you! And to everyone who shared cards today.

Larger cards do seem to allow more of an embossed pattern to really show. And the layering of a die over it...

There are a lot of 5 x 7 embossing folders-I get them whenever possible over A2. I have been seeing 6 x 6 inc stencils. And I would think you could use some things scaled for scrapbooking on a larger card...like the extra long border embossing folders.

I am interested that Britain tows the line that you really want a larger card so strongly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Default A6 question

For those of you that make A6 cards are your cards always top fold then or do you buy premade A6 bases for your cards? I am not aware of paper over 12 x 12 in measurement. A make A2 just because I like to have the card side fold or open as one might say also. I find 5x7 to large and would rather not pay the extra postage for square cards. I do find A2's design area sometimes to small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #46  
Mad Swapper

Saphyre333, thank you!! These measurements were breaking my brain every time I faced an 8.5x11 sheet, usually late at night. Also, I failed remedial math at school, so there's that, too lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 AM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I seem to make a lot of 5 3/4" square. I like squares, and it's not extra postage for me. Occasionally I make 7x5 but I like a smaller canvas better. Interestingly, I had a discussion about card size with my SIL over Christmas. I said I thought the A2 would be too small to sell well compared with what's available commercially (not that I am interested in selling, just now I certainly don't have time to fuss and worry about angel policies, and I mix stamps from different companies all the time), and she said definitely not, for her. She would be very happy to give (and receive) a handmade A2 card.
At the end of the day, it's whatever makes you happy that you should go with!
The post office does require extra postage for square cards. Maybe the people on the receiving end are getting the request for the extra 21-cents. A one ounce square piece of mail costs 70-cents to mail because it is considered non-machinable. I handle the mail in our office and one year they decided to send square Christmas Cards (we send over 1,000 cards to clients!). So the extra postage hit pretty hard!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 04:54 AM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizladyView Post
The post office does require extra postage for square cards. Maybe the people on the receiving end are getting the request for the extra 21-cents.
I noticed that Cook22's location says Ireland. Yes in the US we pay extra postage for square cards, but maybe she does not, where she lives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Beautiful cards, Arlene!

Since this thread started I've revisited it to see the updated comments and I've decided to try out a few large cards and see what I have (apparently) been missing, so thanks for a new challenge there, all of you "large card crafters"!

Just a thought on the square cards/extra postage thing: I don't think I've ever put a square card in a square envelope - I just let it slide around in a rectangular one, or slide a piece of rectangular cardstock into the envelope over the "face" side of the card - seems to do the trick (depending on size, of course). The cardstock over the face works to make "lumpy" cards machinable, as well, as long as they aren't too thick...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I've mostly made A2 cards because that was the "standard" size when I first got into making cards. In the last 2 years, though, I've done a number of 5x7. I want to try the A6 size. Maybe that's the Goldylocks size for me; A2 is too small and 5x7 is too large.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

I am so opposite! I used to do all A2 size cards now I prefer A1 (3.5x5 finished) - smaller for me. I haven't done a 6x6 in a while, but I like them as well. It does make me happy to use a simple size; A2 - half of a 8.5x11 folded in half, 6x6 - half of a 12x12 folded in half or A9 - 8.5x11 folded in half <-- see simple, no scraps.
Paper Papers has an easy to use chart here:
Envelope Size Chart - Help understanding envelope sizes.
Maybe the sizes will inspire us to try different sizes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
I noticed that Cook22's location says Ireland. Yes in the US we pay extra postage for square cards, but maybe she does not, where she lives.
It seems like Ireland and Great Britain sends a lot of square cards without penalty of higher fees.
Last year, I had a subscription to 2 card making magazines from over there and most of the cards demoed in the mags were squares which is why I no longer get those subscriptions. Besides, by the time they got stateside, all of the contests or dates to enter artwork had passed. It takes a month (or more) for the mags to sit at the docks and/or pass through customs.

I'll stick to A2's for the smaller size or a slightly larger card. Those huge 5 by 7's would be too tempting for me to fill with embellishments making even those too expensive to send due to thickness! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, its quite true, over here we have no extra charge for square. It all depends on thickness, until you reach A4 size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of my cards are A2 but lots of times if I make cards for my team at work I need to make 5x7 so we have room for everyone to sign them and leave a message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #55  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I realized that there is just not enough room for me to work in the A2 format. D
You'll NEVER like inchies, then LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
As I tend to have whatever pre made cards I get on deep discount, I have several sizes around. My GF just gave me a large batch of squares in different colors she isnt using. I will make A2s as well from cardstock.

I would have to say the most common up size from A2 for me would be A6 and A7.

I actually started out at A7 and came down to A2 because that was how the samples were made in my LSS and as Joan said, a lot of stamps seem scaled to A2. Plus OWH likes A2 size (though not mandatory) I am open to making anything. I'm still a beginner so I havent committed to anything yet.

That's odd to me that they handled that button card as a parcel instead of like a square where they just charge you more b/c it wont go through the meter.
The difference is the "greater than 1/4 inch thickness". If it won't go through that size slot, it has to go as a parcel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkyfingersrsexyView Post
I'm wondering Kathy what paper you use for the A 6 cards? If they're 6 1/4 in length, you would need a 12 1/2" sheet of cardstock. Does any come in that size? If so, where do you get it? Or do you buy premade A 6 size cards? The problem I have with premade cards at the box stores is my cardstock at home doesn't accurately match the color of the card for layering and with a bigger space you need to layer some (unless you use only white or black A 6 cards.) I'd appreciate info on this - thanks!!!
If you are using standard 8 1/2 x 11 card stock, cut the 6 1/4" off the 8 1/2" part. Then what you have left is 6 1/4 x 11. Then cut 9" from the 11" part leaving you with a 6 1/4 x 9 panel. Fold this in half for the standard A6 card. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 AM   #58  
Crimping Master

I don't want to make the card bases, so I buy them from Micheal's. I buy the value pack, 6.5 x 5 inch card base in white, ivory, black card stock with matching envelopes. It's heavy stock and nice paper for a base. There are 50 cards and envelopes in a pack. I wait for these things to go on sale for 10 or 15 dollars a pack and buy up all they have. I'm all about building on the front, but tend to write letters so prefer white/ivory card stock as a foundation.

I like the 6.5x5 size. I've tried other sizes - and always picked an envelope first and then cut the card to fit it (cause I'm lazy). So I do make 5x7 cards (because I have a box of envelopes this size).

I never realized how card size really affects my creativity. I design too big for an A2 card. I have made cards 8.5x4.5 because that fits a business envelope, but they feel odd to me and I struggle.

I will explore the 8.5x11 stock and 5.5x4.25 size to efficiently use card stock without scraps - thanks for that idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 10:04 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Beautiful cards, Arlene!

Since this thread started I've revisited it to see the updated comments and I've decided to try out a few large cards and see what I have (apparently) been missing, so thanks for a new challenge there, all of you "large card crafters"!

Just a thought on the square cards/extra postage thing: I don't think I've ever put a square card in a square envelope - I just let it slide around in a rectangular one, or slide a piece of rectangular cardstock into the envelope over the "face" side of the card - seems to do the trick (depending on size, of course). The cardstock over the face works to make "lumpy" cards machinable, as well, as long as they aren't too thick...
I bought some thin packing foam that I cut into 6.25x4.75 inches. I put that thin foam over the face of the card and slide it into the envelope. It's enough that the ebellishments get through the machine and they do not get cracked/broken off the card. The foam roll (a lifetime supply) cost around 11.00

I also put the foam in the envelopes if I give the cards out as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #60  
Kookie Creator

I mostly make just under 6" by 6". I fold a UK A4 card in half then trim to square. Easy to get envelopes and no extra postage in UK. Lots of room.

I do find that many stamps are sized for US A2 though. Often get an unpleasant surprise when I order online having seen examples stamped on A2 cards. Stamps are always smaller than I expect.

I have just bought a pack of US sized card for using with these wee stamps.

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlenePView Post
Here are most of the cards I made for friends & family last year. They are all larger cards. These are some of the ways I fill in a larger card.
http://www.pinterest.com/bunns7/cards-i-made-2014/

Your cards are very pretty Arlene, I like how you finish off the inside.

I have found myself making bigger card lately, A2 is just too small. I've been following a lot of UK blogs and watching Create and Craft TV from the UK. Sue Wilson dies are also for bigger cards and Sue makes really big cards on her Youtube channel and shows big on her blog as well. She is one of my favorites. I am really liking the bigger cards and am hoping that bigger is going to trend here in the US.

Lots of the dies I have been buying lately are for bigger cards as well.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #62  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabeView Post
I am really liking the bigger cards and am hoping that bigger is going to trend here in the US.

Lots of the dies I have been buying lately are for bigger cards as well.
Are those dies created for 12x12 pages? Because now I'm looking for items designed in that way to be more appropriately scaled for my "oversized" cards, and it works out much better. I was so slow on the uptake about why the scale was often wrong with commonly found stamps and "background" items ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I bought some thin packing foam that I cut into 6.25x4.75 inches. I put that thin foam over the face of the card and slide it into the envelope. It's enough that the ebellishments get through the machine and they do not get cracked/broken off the card. The foam roll (a lifetime supply) cost around 11.00

I also put the foam in the envelopes if I give the cards out as gifts.
If my postmistress feels foam inside the envelope, no matter how thick, she says it has to go as a package. I just use a piece of card stock as you do the foam and I get by with the same embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
I don't want to make the card bases, so I buy them from Micheal's. I buy the value pack, 6.5 x 5 inch card base in white, ivory, black card stock with matching envelopes. It's heavy stock and nice paper for a base. There are 50 cards and envelopes in a pack. I wait for these things to go on sale for 10 or 15 dollars a pack and buy up all they have. I'm all about building on the front, but tend to write letters so prefer white/ivory card stock as a foundation.

I like the 6.5x5 size. I've tried other sizes - and always picked an envelope first and then cut the card to fit it (cause I'm lazy). So I do make 5x7 cards (because I have a box of envelopes this size).

I never realized how card size really affects my creativity. I design too big for an A2 card. I have made cards 8.5x4.5 because that fits a business envelope, but they feel odd to me and I struggle.

I will explore the 8.5x11 stock and 5.5x4.25 size to efficiently use card stock without scraps - thanks for that idea.
If an A2 card is too small for you, forget about the 5.5 x 4.25 as that is A2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Are those dies created for 12x12 pages? Because now I'm looking for items designed in that way to be more appropriately scaled for my "oversized" cards, and it works out much better. I was so slow on the uptake about why the scale was often wrong with commonly found stamps and "background" items ;)
If I am understanding your question correctly, the dies are not created specifically for scrapbook pages, but for cards. I don't think Sue Wilson's line, called Creative Expressions, has shown a scrapbook page on her blog. It's all cards. I think you make cards primarily too.

One could probably use any of these larger dies in a scrapbook.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:51 PM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
If my postmistress feels foam inside the envelope, no matter how thick, she says it has to go as a package. I just use a piece of card stock as you do the foam and I get by with the same embellishments.
Stick on a stamp, drop it in the mail and make sure your return address is on it. I've never had one come back. Everything is automated and unless it get stuck in the machine, I don't even think anyone actually sees how much postage is on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 05:19 AM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

I have found the postage charges depend on the independant post office. The little one in my neighborhood charges a parcel for anything over 1/4" thick, regardless of the size. The post office by my work accepts thicker cards and cards with a "bump" if they have a .70 stamp like you use to mail wedding invitations. This sure beats the 2.59 parcel charge so unless my card is totally flat I use a .70 stamp. I may try to the larger envelope idea to see if that works here in Indiana. Stamp yourself silly, Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
Stick on a stamp, drop it in the mail and make sure your return address is on it. I've never had one come back. Everything is automated and unless it get stuck in the machine, I don't even think anyone actually sees how much postage is on a card.
The post office here in our new town is much more forgiving about embellished cards. I still put 70 cents on cards with bumps, even if they are less than 1/4" and take questionable ones in. I have had at least 3 returned (a month after they should have been delivered) and a couple that are still out there somewhere. Seventy cents is not much for peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like 5X5, 6X6, 5X7, 4X6, and some odd sizes. I usually do not do A2 size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #70  
Kookie Creator

I don't make masses of cards and each one is designed for the recipient. As each design evolves the size dictates itself and I make the envelope to fit. If I was to start with a favourite size it would be 14cm x 14cm, though this often gets chopped down to suit the design. (I'm in the uk)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

About 5.5 x 5.5 for us Americanos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2015, 04:30 PM   #72  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I bought an envelope punch board really just so that I could make envelopes out of my extra card stock and patterned papers. I figured the card stock would help to protect my card layers and embellishments (which it does) plus I was happy to cut through my stash of patterned paper. But what I have loved most about this tool is that it has encouraged me to make cards of all different sizes! It has all of the measurement info for cards and what is needed to make envelopes listed on the board, so it's a great reference for ideas. Before this board, I never really put much thought into the sizing... just stuck with A2, 5" square, smaller for tags... not much more. How silly of me! :shock:
BTW, if you are in the U.S. - here is a chart to help determine if the postal service will take it.
Attached Thumbnails
True Confession:  I dislike A2 :)-postal-letter-requirements.png  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #73  
Rubber Obsessor

In the monthly cardmakers and the Dazzles monthly shopper from Paper Wishes, they send cards that measure 5" by 6-1/2". I do not know what size cards that is though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I very rarely make an A-2 sized card because, there just is not enough room.

you can find A-6, A-7, and envelopes ready made for squares if you go to paper source type places to shop.

say clear bags dot com. or Neenah papers. or any of the other paper mfg. my mind has gone blank, the catch is you know paper is heavy to ship. so, if you live in a place where there is a store that sells their papers by the reams and by the box for envelopes that looks like a warehouse inside. drive there and stock up.

hth
I make A2 only for swaps where other crafters use A2, but otherwise I make 5x7 exclusively. Fortunately I live 20 minutes away from PapermartInc a paper factory outlet that carries all shades of Neenah and often sells overstocked paper at a discount. And they sell smooth white cardstock that they consider scrap for about $2-5 a ream but I would equate it with SU whisper white. Best of all, for a $2 fee they will cut a ream of 80# cardstock into 7X10 size so that I can make 5x7 cards without cutting each piece myself. I love my paper store.
Reply With Quote Likes