Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2022, 01:10 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools for stamping

I am thinking of getting a stamping platform. I am seeing alot of different ones...and some utubes about misti and Tim holtz and stamparatus....do any of you wonderful stampers have these tools...and could you give me some reviews so I can head in the best direction? Thank you so much!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2022, 02:00 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have any nearby friends who might have one that you could try? Personally, I think you'd likely be happy with any of them.

That said, I know that Misti was the first and is a Splitcoast "sponsor".

I am pretty sure I've read that the Tim Holtz is no longer available in the US.

I like the Stampin' Up! one because it's open on two sides and you can move the plates for "hinge stamping" (Google that if you don't know what it is). It's also because I am a demonstrator. ;-)

I will suggest that you put duct tape on the magnets whichever you get as they're very strong and will snap together and possibly break otherwise.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your new acquisition.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2022, 03:32 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

To add to what Linda said, another advantage of the Stamperatus is that the hinges of the covers automatically adjust to the stamp thickness regardless of whether your stamp is photopolymer or cling-mounted rubber. The Stamperatus comes with two covers and you can use both sides of each, which can be really handy if you're making a lot of one design of card with multiple stamps on it (e.g. when mass producing Christmas cards).
The Tim Holtz platform works with either type of stamp, but you have to put the cover on the right way up (one side is labelled 'rubber' and the other 'clear'). The Misti comes with a thin mat which you use with photopolymer but remove when using rubber.
The advantage of the platforms which are open on two sides is that you can use them with any size of paper so, for example, you could stamp near the corner of a scrapbook page with the Tim Holtz or the Stamperatus, but not the Misti.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2022, 04:28 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,728 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I agree with Linda and Stampnnatter. There is a challenge here each month sponsored by My Sweet Petunia that you can participate in even if you do not use a MISTI. The winner received money toward the purchase of a new MISTI. It is $50 which is a bit help in the investment of this device.

If you are scrapbooker or like a larger surface, there is a Memory MISTI which covers a 12 inch piece of scrapbook paper. You can place the paper so it hangs out of the side of the MISTI in a way that you can still close the door. I do not own this size, but there are videos showing ways to use this size.

I love my MISTI's. I have a mini and an original size. I use both on a regular basis. Whatever you choose to purchase and use, you will love it! It will change the way you stamp and create and open a world of possibilities.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2022, 04:43 AM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

The MISTI comes with a single bar magnet now, so the double magnet/breaking thing isn't an issue anymore.

And the newest version of the MISTI has a bunch of new features, like an overhanging lip on the lid that makes it easy to grab, engraved rulers instead of the sticker, a spot for the bar magnet to be stored and new hinges - it's really nice.

That would get my vote - for your first, get the original, not the mini, but the mini sure is nice to have!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Alice in Md (05-18-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 04:33 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I love the MISTI. I have two original sized ones—one from early days and one from Hero Arts. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of the newest but still works just fine for me. I use at least one in every crafting session. I also have the Tim Holtz platform but I’ve never gotten as strong of an impression on that one, and I miss having two corners. Word on the street is that Altenew will be launching a platform soon too, so I’m eager to see what that looks like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have both, the original Misti and Stampin Up stamparatus. I prefer the SU platform, layered stamping is so much easier, love that the hinges are adjustable & takes larger pieces of cardstock. I still occasionally pull out the Misti, but not often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

I have both ( several sizes of the misti and one Tim Holtz platform) the platform from Tim Holtz is more awkward to use, (mine is in its padded case in the closet) because you have to pull it apart and flip things around to use it (one side for clear stamps one side for foam cling stamps ( I find the opening the hinges of a Misti to be much more user friendly to me. Maybe its just me but, that is where my money goes, I have one at work and 4 at home and I buy them as gifts as most my family members who stamp have arthritis in their hands its a game changer.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw a comparison video (Misti vs Stamparatus) somewhere on here. I had planned to get a Misti but when I saw the video, it convinced me to get a Stamparatus instead. For me it was a combination of having to use a special cleaner with the Misti and that the Stamparatus is open sided which tipped the scales. The Stamparatus just seemed easier in both senses.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2022, 03:33 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Here's another very similar and recent thread from the Tool and Product section here on SCS: Easiest stamp positioner by Jen Stevenson at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think it's also a good idea to research the companies/owners to see which one(s) you'd like to support - if that's something that's important to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to a demo of the Altenew tool. I have 2 Mistis and 2 Tims and I like them all for different reasons. But I might need this one too; love the ability to stamp in the round without templates. The currently unknown price in today's economy might have something to say about that though. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks kind of amazing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Here's a link to a demo of the Altenew tool. I have 2 Mistis and 2 Tims and I like them all for different reasons. But I might need this one too; love the ability to stamp in the round without templates. The currently unknown price in today's economy might have something to say about that though. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2022, 04:49 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Ooooh, thanks for sharing that vid. I’m so eager to see more of how the Altenew platform will work—especially to do layered stamps on one wheel (I hope!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2022, 06:21 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I would not buy a MISTI because I do not approve of her litigation against Tim Holtz., and I don’t like that the MISTI has a Bible verse on it. Not very Christian of her to go after competitors.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Casa1 (05-23-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:28 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am just going to say that I think people should have a platform-whichever it is.
Not only is it great for layering. (I am not great with the stamp a ma jig) but it also is great for STRAIGHT sentiments-which I can struggle with and make me totally nuts if they are crooked. I do ones that I attach after instead of direct stamping bc of that, but now with the platform I feel much more confident.

The only thing about the Altenew I am wondering about....she mentioned the CS sticks bc the base is "sticky" so no need for magnets....ok, but is that going to get all fuzzy with dust etc?

With Memorial day coming up...there are bound to be sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out Ecstasy Crafts. They have several models of stamp positioners. I have the Stamping Buddy and use it all the time, even though I also have the Misti and Holtz versions.
Reply With Quote Likes