Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tired of wasting money

Maybe getting older is making me more practical, or maybe not, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I've spent tons of money on things I never use. Stamping is not my only creative outlet. I also quilt quite a bit, scrapbook and crochet a bit. I have a bunch of paper stacks I'll never use, card stock in varying colors that isn't heavy enough or in colors that don't go together quite right. And ink pads...I think I've tried all types and brands and colors that looked good online or in the store but then I get home and it stamps badly. Copics - got over a hundred and I don't like them. My Prismacolor pencils are like old friends and make me happy. I have decided to make Stampin' Up my main place to purchase things like paper, ribbons, inks. Everything coordinates and I don't have to spend an hour trying to find something that looks good together. Shoulda done this a long time ago. Am I the only one?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As I've gotten older, I've also gotten poorer, so being practical is something I have to deal with whether I want to or not. After a crafting hiatus, I've returned with a different mindset that includes no more buying stuff just because it's cheap or on sale. These days, I save up to buy what I love, not just something I think I might like.

I have a ton of cheap cardstock. I don't worry about the weight because I adhere it to a heavier card base. Also, I no longer feel the need to have my paper perfectly match my ink and my ribbon. For me, close is close enough.

I've been fortunate in buying paper stacks that I love and will mostly use, either on cards or in scrapbook pages. What I don't use, I give away. One woman's junk is another woman's treasure. I be someone in your circle of friends will gladly take some of that unwanted paper off your hands.

I'm sorry that you don't love your Copics as I love mine. For me, they were my best crafting investment. I've gotten so much joy from playing with them--though I admit that I sometimes get frustrated by some shades that don't blend well. Since you have so many, you might consider selling yours in blending groups. I've noticed that lightly used Copic markers tend to hold their value fairly well in the buy/sell forum on this site.

A lot of people love Stampin' Up's coordinating paper and inks. Personally, I wouldn't go with Stampin' Up because they are always retiring and adding new colors. When (if) I go through my stash of cardstock, I'll probably look into a company that keeps basic colors for years. I thought that company was going to be Close To My Heart. As a scrapbooker first and card maker second, I've always liked CTMH ink and coordinating paper packs. But after keeping the same shades for many years, CTMH recently discontinued two of my favorites before I had a chance to buy ink refills. Grrrrr.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I did a big purge at the beginning of this year and I feel SO much more creative with fewer, more loved craft items. I use SU for ease of coordination also, and I got rid of mediums I'm not good at. Now that I've focused on my favorite mediums - watercolor and also colored pencils - I love those - I feel like I'm gaining more skill too. It's fun. I think we all go through these phases...

1) Buy all the things
2) Organize all the things
3) Realize you don't use ALL the things
4) Sell a lot of the things
5) Use the things you love
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really one of the main reasons I'm Stampin' Up only. It limits what I can buy. I still buy too much and don't use things but at least there's some sort of limit on it. When I was buying all over it was worse. At least all the things I have coordinate now and i'm more apt to use them over a hodgepodge :-) I get that it doesn't work for everyone but it does for me. I NEED limits or I can go a bit nuts ;-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #5  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

99.9% of my stamping money goes to SU. I like not having to think too hard about what colors and inks look nice together.
SU does retire 5 colors annually (one of the in-color families) but hasn't retired any mainline colors in a couple/few years. And honestly a color retiring doesn't mean it isn't usable anymore, it just means there won't be any dsp's that have an exact color match.
As I age I'm getting tired of having SO much stuff. I also bead and crochet and sew. I've been working on my studio for months purging and organizing and purging some more. All of this work has made me pause before I hit submit on an order and 9x outta 10 I either remove things or cancel the order because I realize I won't actually use it. I feel good about my newfound self-control.
A lot of stuff I've been getting rid of are leftovers from teaching classes or retired stamp sets that I really didn't love to begin with. Some I've tried selling at local flea markets and after months and months of effort, I've finally decided to give them away. They aren't worth bothering with anymore, ya know?
I'm hoping to have everything purged by tomorrow evening so that I can see what exactly I need my DH to build for me to store what's left. Thankfully it won't be much, just a few drawers and a couple of shelves.
With the money we have been saving since my season of self-control, we've been able to start building a built-in reading nook, and are making plans to install a bar height counter on our deck for when we have social gatherings (we have friends over at least monthly so this is a wise investment), and we have more date nights
It's nice not being wasteful with my money.
I like living a more CAS lifestyle. It's a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I think we all go through these phases...

1) Buy all the things
You are right!
It's kind of like the stages of growing up. Infancy, childhood, preteen, teen, adult.
Then some of us go on to stage no. 6: Senior
At that point, we start forgetting what works for us and we start searching for new ways to be creative. And the cycle starts all over again. BTDT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrelView Post
Maybe getting older is making me more practical, or maybe not, but I've finally come to the conclusion that I've spent tons of money on things I never use... I have decided to make Stampin' Up my main place to purchase things like paper, ribbons, inks. Everything coordinates and I don't have to spend an hour trying to find something that looks good together. Shoulda done this a long time ago. Am I the only one?
No you are not! As I get older, my brain just doesn't multitask well (I've read a few articles that say our brains were never designed to do that anyway) and I get information overload quite easily.

My trick is, I stick to a few favorite styles and coordinating colors, which makes it much easier for me to blend anything I have in my stash. I don't own an entire collection of anything, because I would never use the red or the orange or the pink, for instance, so it would be wasteful.

I don't think you can go wrong with Stampin' Up exclusively, because the designs, stamps, paper and embellishments are excellent quality and their color palettes are very sophisticated and blend together well, even if you're moving from Regals to In Color etc.

They can be a little pricier, but I think the quality is worth it in the end. I'm much more satisfied with the two Stampin' Up stamp sets I recently purchased than a lot of the stuff I have gotten in the last year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out (more than 15 years ago!)with SU because I loved the easy matching of paper/ink/embellishments. I have fallen into the trap of buying other brands at times and had the same issue with getting things to go together. The main exception for me is patterned paper - I love all the pretty paper available and still purchase a lot, but can usually find SU colors that coordinate. Recently though, SU has seemed to move away from the colors I love, so have decided to transition to FSJ. I think you have the right idea in finding a company whose supplies you like and sticking with that so it all coordinates. It has saved me many hours of frustration!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #9  

I'm glad to see others like me, who tend to do better with one company/line. I didn't mean to turn this into an SU thread. I just happened upon SU at the right time. It may have been any other company at the time just by chance :-) But sometimes I feel like I'm a weirdo because I can't seem to put things together from different companies like other people can do, ha! But, it works for me I guess!

I do enjoy window shopping other companies. There is SO much cute stuff out there but if I KNOW I can't buy it, I can't get in trouble...which I totally would if I went down that slippery slope :-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I envy you SU folks! One stop shopping!

Unfortunately I don't own many SU sets, just not my style. I do own about twenty of their paper colors, but for the most part I use PTI paper. And stamps - I buy them from all over the place! That won't change!

But I do have stuff I don't use, and it really isn't because I have too much stuff - it's because I just don't think to use it. And I don't think to use it because I have not spent time really learning to exploit all it's possible uses. I'm starting a Pinterest board for some of these supplies I have and don't use. Maybe that will help.

As for stamps - I have plenty that have not seen ink since the day I took them out of the package and stamped them in my catalog. I think I have to pull some of these stamps out and tell myself I WILL make a card this week using them. Like hot-air balloons. Bought a bunch of hot-air balloon images at some point and have never put a hot-air balloon on a card yet. And yet I remember thinking I had to have them. Had to!

This hobby can be very crazy-making. But I think Lydia is right, we can't not expect ourselves to cycle through things. To expect to be in a place where you have exactly and only what you need and will use is a fantasy. As an artist you are always in transition to some degree. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It bears being careful. Whether with one company, a budget, or just using what you buy, it does feel better to be more in control. Good conversation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 03:32 PM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Bought a bunch of hot-air balloon images at some point and have never put a hot-air balloon on a card yet. And yet I remember thinking I had to have them. Had to!

ROFL! Me too! We need a hot air balloon stamp charity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used my hot air balloon -- only once! In a big 8.5x11" collage
Attached Thumbnails
Tired of wasting money-flood-retreat-019.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that collage TOTALLY justified your purchase! I'd say you can guiltlessly never use it again! Well done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 09:38 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Like others I have completed a major purge and it feels so good to have only the things I really like and use and was able to not go to the recent Scrapbook Expo because I knew that I would be tempted to buy something and I don't have one single regret. I've been having more fun using up what I have and am much more creative.

I can't stay with one company and I'm a SU demo. My interests are too wide for any one company to fill my need. I still buy new things but I'm very selective about what can come into my craft room (unless it's chocolate covered) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I still buy new things but I'm very selective about what can come into my craft room (unless it's chocolate covered) LOL
I'm at this point, myself--at least with my stamping/scrapbooking.
It feels good doesn't it? No worries about not having the latest trendy stamp. No stressing about being one of the first to buy, use, post a newly released stamp. And in the long run, being selective about what we buy saves money and space.

Now that I'm very comfortable with my cardmaking/scrapbooking supplies, I find myself pulled to expand my crafting in other areas. There was a time when I thought I would never ever touch mixed media. Now, I can't wait to play with new art forms. But first, I need to buy more stuff. :shock: (I'm asking Santa for gelatos)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Tastes change over time. I just recently gave away three bags of papers and stickers that I finally realized I was never going to use, but at the time they were a bargain to purchase and exactly what I needed..... Sigh.

I've been very selective over the past few years, and really try to see how many times I would use a particular stamp or die or color of cardstock.

In cleaning my craft space, I've found many cards that I made years ago that I thought were wonderful, and now I just shake my head at how horrible they were!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #18  

LOL! The old cards...every time ;-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:27 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I am still bad..I see something I want and I buy it. With that being said once I get new stuff home I use it within two weeks or so. If I don't it needs to go bye bye. I purge slowly. I have a booth at our local co-op shoppes so that's where all my purging goes. It gets a new life with someone else and I can buy new. I buy from all companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I'm at this point, myself--at least with my stamping/scrapbooking.
It feels good doesn't it? No worries about not having the latest trendy stamp. No stressing about being one of the first to buy, use, post a newly released stamp. And in the long run, being selective about what we buy saves money and space. Yes it feels wonderful!

Now that I'm very comfortable with my cardmaking/scrapbooking supplies, I find myself pulled to expand my crafting in other areas. There was a time when I thought I would never ever touch mixed media. Now, I can't wait to play with new art forms. But first, I need to buy more stuff. :shock: (I'm asking Santa for gelatos)
I'm really into mixed media and that is the majority of my new supplies. I'm enjoying the gelatos but I have to say I don't use them as much as I thought I would. I was never a fan of watercolor crayons and IMHO they are very similar. I hope Santa brings you what you want :p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 03:28 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like SU for my cardstock and stamp pads. Lately I've not been too fond of their stamps or patterned paper. Am I the only one here who will NOT stay with one company? I love Heartfelt Creations and I find that it really coordinates well with lots of SU colors. Also I like to buy stamps I see and like... no matter the company. I do have lots that I don't use from years back and now I really try to decide if I like it enough to use it multiple times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #22  

I think most people shop around. I just seem to work better sticking to one line and I will WAY over shop if I "let" myself so this helps keep me on track. I'd seriously get in trouble if I let myself go so to speak....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I buy what stamps I like. I don't care about brand or clear. Of course within budget 😍

Also I have to try many types / brands of product. Even if everyone raves about stampin up paper - I still have to test the other papers myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy from all over, but my stamp and ink purchases have dropped to zero. I'm starting to really touch on digital. It feels like I understand my style more and don't buy stamps that are trendy, cute, or can't be used in multiple ways.

I do buy paper pads and think the pad of papers match themselves well enough, and find that Micheal's basics/solid packs of card stock matches good enough for me. Or I mat on black.

It comes together enough for me and I quit sweating about it. My friends and family tell me my cards are really nice so I'm happy with the results. I'm doing this as therapy, not a business, so I can just have fun and let it unfold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't stick to one company. Lately I've found that I have more than enough stamps and paper, and I haven't bought anything since March, at a stamp expo, where I bought a lot of very old, used stamps, back from the '90s - DOTS (pre-CTMH) and SU! mostly, with a few other odd companies thrown in there. I didn't pay attention to what companies - just bought the images I liked. Every time I'm tempted to buy patterned paper, I think of the various paper pads I have remaining and how many years (plural!!) that I've owned each of them. And despite sooooooooo many efforts on my part to use this paper up, these pads seem to be an infinite source of paper. So I haven't bought any patterned paper in eons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

I found I needed to define my style so I did not buy things I would not use.
I love pretty pattern paper but never use it on cards :(

Pretty ribbon was another thing that tempted me but again I rarely used it on cards. It took me years to use up the ribbon on gift wrapping

What coloring method do you like to use ? Stick to that and purge the rest

What style of stamps do you like ? Only buy those

Wait 3 - 6 months before you jump on buying the latest fad ideas or equipment .
Eyelets anyone ???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

I have always been fairly practical and that includes what I buy for stamping. I'm to the point where I have enough and any more will begin to tip my supplies toward too much.

There are things I don't use often and some things I could part with. I sold about 15 sets last spring.

I love having all I need to create. I still remember the days when I didn't have enough selection.

I'm about 90% SU. I love being part of classes. It's like the clubs we were in as kids. Being part of a group that understands what bone folders, Daffodil Delight and Dazzling Diamonds are is priceless.

I'd go crazy trying to match ribbon, paper, ink, dsp, etc. I do have Lawn Fawn, PTI, and others. I have tons of $ stamps from Michael's that I get lots of use out of.

Still my main love is SU. Lots of their stamps are my style. SU is all I really need in the long run!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-26-2015 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will probably always buy other stamps in addition to Stampin' Up, just because there are some I just like a lot like Mo Manning, House Mouse and the Art Impression ones just make me laugh. But as far as card stock and inks, it helps me to pull a card together more quickly. And I'll always love embossing folders. At least I'm not the only one who has stuff they'll never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I buy from all over.

I am evolving-Lydia is right...I am jaded now re buying. (my wallet is choking on laughter now over in the ICU) but it is true. I am FAR more restrained.

I am not ready for the "great purge" yet though.

I think it sounds like a GREAT idea to pull unused things and challenge yourself to use them! Maybe that should be one of the challenges!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #30  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this "hobby" is as much about the shopping at times as it is the actual creating. With that said - I did used to spend way too much and now, like many, have things that I just look at and scratch my head wondering why in the world I ever bought that. I haven't done a huge purge but sometimes think I should. I have cut the spending though. Honestly I don't think I've spent more than $50 this whole year! I really do need to scale down and only have the things I really like so that I don't get overwhelmed in my craft room. At least the shopping part of it is under control. Now to just deal with the ramifications of my actions prior to getting it under control ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I don't buy a lot from anywhere except Stampin Up! I really like the cardstock, inks, DP & ribbons.
I have to admit I haven't purchased any of their markers.
Mainly I use Copic Markets, Spectrum Noir Colored Pencils & Zig Clean Brush watercolor markers.

I still have my favorite stamps from The Angle Company. I dig them out from time to time.

I also have a ton of Bazzill Cardstock & DP from other companies.

I have to challenge myself to use it, before I open other packs of DP.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I've done the "major purge" thing and given away TONS (literally) of stuff. While it was helpful to a point, I still find "holes" in my collections - certain styles/sizes of stamps, or a tool that would make life easier, or a color of marker or pencil that I don't have (and not one scrap of glossy cardstock in all the reams of paper). I think that the "constant evolution" idea is the truest, and we (at least, I) need to be cognizant and respectful of that. It's not helpful at all to reprimand ourselves - silently or out loud - because we buy something else. That said, being aware of WHY we're making a purchase is probably wise, and will be helpful - for our pocketbooks and our psyche!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I did a big purge at the beginning of this year and I feel SO much more creative with fewer, more loved craft items. I use SU for ease of coordination also, and I got rid of mediums I'm not good at. Now that I've focused on my favorite mediums - watercolor and also colored pencils - I love those - I feel like I'm gaining more skill too. It's fun. I think we all go through these phases...

1) Buy all the things
I think there needs to be a step in between 2 and 3.
Maybe a step 2.5) Repeat steps 1 and 2 over and over.

:lol:

I think I am at the step 3. I have bought some stuff recently, mostly new colors of distress, full packs of SU papers, a couple of new embossing folders from SU, and the few stamp sets in the new SU catty that I "had" to have. But my buying has gotten a lot less. I get the in colors every year. It's time to get rid of the similar old colors that still are in the linen pads. I avoid them like the plague, so why should I keep them??!

Oops, I bought the Chameleon pens. ouch! They're coming today.

But I'm thinking I need to pare down to the bare bones. Not so much what I have, but what I buy. And then I need to clear out some stuff I don't use. I do have stuff I haven't gotten into in a long time. I want less clutter!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I think I'll take time soon to collect everything...my mom's stuff that I promised my dad that I would find new homes for and all my extras and unused stuff...and get it listed in the BST. Will you hold me accountable to at least get it collected and listed?
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I think I'll take time soon to collect everything...my mom's stuff that I promised my dad that I would find new homes for and all my extras and unused stuff...and get it listed in the BST. Will you hold me accountable to at least get it collected and listed?
Yes, and I'll keep an eye out so I can see if any of it needs to come and live at my house... :rolleyes:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post

The best part? Most of us don't need to buy anything new.
So true, so true.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

When I started getting in to papercrafts, I made a lot of mistakes and bought things I'm never going to use - and as I result, ended up with no money to buy things I actually DID need. It's been pretty frustrating. It's my own fault, though.. didn't do enough research. I just got all excited and started buying.. lol. I'm considering going the SU-only route. I love how everything matches & one doesn't have to think too much about matching papers to ribbon to cardstock, etc. However, I would feel pretty limited by their stamp sets, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate StampsView Post
I like SU for my cardstock and stamp pads. Lately I've not been too fond of their stamps or patterned paper. Am I the only one here who will NOT stay with one company? I love Heartfelt Creations and I find that it really coordinates well with lots of SU colors. Also I like to buy stamps I see and like... no matter the company. I do have lots that I don't use from years back and now I really try to decide if I like it enough to use it multiple times.
You are SO not the only one who buys from multiple companies! While I bought my share of SU through the years, I have always bought from other companies. There are things SU does not do as well as others- like heavyweight white cardstock. Give me Gina K 120# white every time!!! Also I love dies (perhaps TOO much???) and what would I do without Spellbinders, Marianne, et all? And I like a sale, and SU is pricey. I'm with a previous poster who said cheap CS is fine for layering. I agree, it's just fine for punching & die cutting & layering. I have enough independence to trust my own eye as to color matching. I don't need SU to make everything go together for me. Sometimes, I don't like the direction their changes take them in- like the new pads. I don't like them.
Yes, I occasionally want a stamp set or a punch or a color of SU cardstock, but now that I'm not in a monthly SU group requiring a minimum purchase each month, I buy a LOT less SU product. I have eclectic tastes, and there are so many companies out there to buy from! Color me aggressively independent!!! (Use a non-SU marker to do so, by all means)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
Third, have a wish list. Mine can never be more then 20 items long. I include a picture of the product and links in case I forget details. I also include prices -- watching prices fluctuate with coupons and sales is a good thing. I allow myself to reorder the list, as well as add and subtract.
Yes! YES!! YES!!! My Craft Wish List has kept me reigned in on my spending while allowing me to make purchases without guilt. I know that what I am buying is what I really want or need. Except I allow myself more than 20 items. :-) My wish list is mostly specific, but I allow myself to list generic items as well. For example I have a wish for "Birds stamps, like those included with the PTI Love Bird stamp set." (So, if I find birds stamps like what I want, I can buy them, no matter if they are Hero Arts, Stampin' Up, etc.)

Quote:

We know we haven't used it ... Somebody else will use it and love it.
Another huge YES!!! A few years ago, an SCS member sent me her Perfect Layers rulers and another member generously gifted me some lovely nesting dies, and I still get use out of both. When I am able, I like to pass along the good Karma. A few weeks ago I gave a couple boxes of paper, foam stamps, embellishments and some punches to a young mom I saw in the local Walmart parking lot. She was thrilled to get them. This week, I found a taker for my much despised collection of Stickles. It felt so good to hand them over to the postal clerk, knowing that they would go to someone who would actually use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2015, 02:51 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I need to print and pin this thread on a bulletin board and require myself to read it before ANY purchase!!
I don't enjoy making cards any longer so have gotten rid of some of my SU stuff. All the stamps I have not sold are stashed in a bedroom closet, the paper is in a four draw filing cabinet, along with all the other brands of 8.5x11 paper. I would love to purge ribbon, flowers and 6x6 paper pads, along with most of my embossing powder and glitter! If I could find my eyelets I would probably just throw them in the trash!!

I do enjoy my 12x12 paper I just don't purchase SU any longer.....
Reply With Quote Likes