Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #41  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are such wonderful advices and many quite good. I am an arthritis sufferer and a doctor that specialize in arthritis with a passion for stamping and quilting and jewerly making which cause me lots of problems. I am a believer in that you should be able to do what you love to do even with these afflictions if you use common sense. Whatever condition you have, you have to think about how this condition affects you and try to use your body in a way that hurts it the least.

If your neck or back bothers you, having a work surface that is angled up can be helpful. If you sit then get a chair with good lumbar support and sit all the way back so you are USING the support. Your feet should also be touching the floor or have some solid surface to support it which will also lessen your back stresses. If your lower back is well supported, it will lift your chest up which will lessen your NECK stresses.

Keep your work surface not too high so you can do things with your arms along the side of your body and not with your arms lifted which stresses your upper back and shoulders.
The more ERGONOMIC you can be with your body, the more your can do things before you stress the area. Keeping your body fit with exercises to strenthen the area of trouble is a must- abdominal exercises if you suffer from back pain for example.

Taking frequent breaks and using your body in different ways so you do not get repetitive stress is important as well.

Having tools that are more ergonomic is very helpful- even it cost more initially it will pay off in pain and suffering costs you will avoid. I gave away a whole bunch of clear acrylic blocks and bought stampin up ones because they are rounded and more comfortable then the cheap ones I acquired in the past. I even have suction cups handles that I bought while back to hold the acrylic blocks if it is too big to hold. I hold my big shot with the crank wheel on the right side (because I am right handed) because it is most ergonomical for me. I have put rubber bands on pens to enlarge the grip and make it less slippery which helps my thumb. I put air dry clay on bursh handles so I have a larger grip when I paint details. I have a reverse clamp to hold my little pieces so I don't have to constantly hold it while I am doing something with it- like heat embossing. I had a power punch to help with the punches in the past and now place the punches (the new flat ones) upside down on the table and punch it out using my palms and weight of my body on top so I do not stress my thumbs and fingers.

These are just some advice I have given my patients and tricks I have learned over time myself as a crafter. I also know there are times when I just have too much pain and have to take something to relieve it. Even though I am a doctor I am not big on medicines but there are situations as in rheumatoid arthritis -if you have active disease where not taking the medicines can cause your arthritis to progress. You should discuss with your doctors what is necessary for your condition and safe for you to take as needed for controlling your pain.

Good luck to you all and keep on stamping!

my blog: http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2010, 04:52 AM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

LyndaLee28: Interesting that if you remove all meds it can be harmful. My GP is aware and we discussed my decision but I now think I should call my rheumatologist. All the ergonomic advise is so true! but since retiring I've forgotten how important posture can be. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Yesterday I wanted to color in a design on a potential getwell card, including some very narrow straight and some weavey lines. Since I often can't control my fingers or hands enough for this work I asked a friend. She came up with a terrific idea, I have no idea why I didn't think of it, so am sharing: Just get out one of those journaling block plastic templates and use it as a protective sheet - run your color pen/marker or dust your chalk thru the cuts! Some of the sheets can be washed, some need a stamp cleaner to make them clear again. Or, surround the area with post-it-note type stickies in case you draw outside of the design's lines. Or, stamp the design on a scrap of paper and cut out the part you want to color, place this on top of your card's design and just color away!
Reply With Quote Likes