Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips to help a newly arthritic person keep crafting

OK, I am 26. I ave been having back problems for the past 4-5 years. My new doc took an Xray on Friday while I was in the middle of another flare up. Got the results Tuesday night. Apparently I have arthritis in my mid and upper spine along with spinal compression. I am still processing this information. Let's face it though. This could become a crafting obstacle. At least it isn't in my hands. If you have any tips or suggestions I would appreciate it. My back hasn't stopped aching since I got the call from my doc. All I want to do is keep scrapping , sewing and making cards. Not to mention regular things.

Michelle

PS If this is in the wrong place let me know. I wasn't sure if it should go uner Everyday chit chat or General Stamping Talk.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Oh you poor thing, that can't be easy! I can empathize with you though, I'm only *yes I said ONLY!* 29 and I have osteoarthritis bad in my knee and ankle. We're so young to go through this. Just keep your chin up, do the physical therapy you can do, try to stay as active as your back will allow, and keep on stampin' girl! Don't let that get in the way of what you love to do or it will surely hold you back...
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Thanks Amber. I don't intend to let it get in the way of anything. Hence, I am asking for tips now instead of waiting until it gets worse. I guess this answers he question of why my back hurts when I lean over my desk or what ever I working on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

got ya BOTH beat.. I was diagnosed at FIVE with RA hehehheeh. every joint is affected.. to include my wrists which are LOCKED and cannot rotate at all.

I am now.. Over 40...( and no I am not saying how much older than 40 to you two infants heheheh).

I pace myself more than anything. I honestly cannot complete a single card in one sitting. I have to take breaks, sometimes long ones. I actually did not srat crafting utnil about 4 years ago so even old and broken you can do it. In fact my Doctor LOVES that I am doing it. says its keeping myhands from curling up into gnarled clumps.

Spend the extra money on top of the line equipment if you don't have it already. Quality goes a long way into making it easier to keep doing what you love.

since yours is spinal related, I suggest getting one of those back support cushions or a donut to use. Yoga suppsoedly helps with keeping limber. I am too far gone actually so it didn't help me at all. but I have been living with this for 40 years now so its quite possible I am just old.

I am told chiropractors can help but since Tricare doesn't cover any Chripractice services, I haven't tried that out personally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #5  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

I was going to suggest a really good chair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another with RA here. I agree, take a break. Don't let the pain get the best of you, its harder to manage then. I use to stand, but now I have a comfy chair on wheels, that the height can be adjusted. I have a Big Shot, Cricut and a guillotine type cutter. I use a Scor-Pal for folding. Hands just don't do what I want them to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Good chair with back, don't hunch over. Yoga is good, see if you can find a class that offers gentle stretching. I take a yoga class twice a week at the community college and it is specifically designed for people with arthritis, physical disabilities, etc. Acupuncture might help. Personally, I would be leary of using a chiropracter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, a really good chair with wheels to make it easier to get in and out of. Depending on the type of flooring you have.... if the wheels will not spin easily such as on carpeting buy one of those plastic floor mat so the wheels spin easily. Due to my back problems, my previous employer got me one of the plastic mat to go over the commercial carpeting and boy what a big difference it made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

More, hopefully, helpful hints. If you go here there are a lot of exercises and even some videos- exercises and stretches for arthritis - Google Search If this link doesn't work, go to Google and type in stretches and exercises for arthritis.

Probably one of the worst things you could do would be immobile for long stretches at a time. Stamp for 15 or 20 minutes then get up and move around, stretch, etc. Are you able to touch the floor with your fingers or hands without bending your knees, if not you need to stretch the back muscles and loosen them up. Has your doctor suggested physical therapy? A therapist can help with stretching, show you the proper way of getting up (especially from a lying down), exercises, etc. I had a friend who loved sweets and she discovered that if she stayed away from them her arthritis didn't bother her. Excess poundage affects arthritis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default back problems

I'm in a very similar boat. I have a lumbar pillow strapped to the back of my rolling chair on a plastic mat. I dont keep all of my supplies near me, so I have to get up to get something every 5-10 mins or so to keep moving. I have low back issues, and go to pt, massage therapy and the ciropractor 3 times a week. I really love the massage therapy- helps to relax the muscles and nerves. I would say if you can afford it, have it done at least once a month. I also have a foot stand under my desk got it at office max- it kind of makes me sit up straight- and wear tight pants- makes it harder to slouch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

I agree with all of the above pp's:

1. GOOD chair
2. Lumbar support (additional to chair)
3. Take plenty of breaks - walk around - do stretching exercises - whatever you're capable of
4. Drink lots of water (it will help with regular health issues PLUS make you HAVE TO TAKE A BREAK to pee )
5. Get any tools that can simplify the motions that are either repetitive or painful for you (ie Big Shot, Cricut, pre-cut shapes/letters, etc)

Good luck to all of you who have physical illnesses/limitations - my prayers are with you for continued good health and improvement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #12  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

When I'm sitting and sewing for a long time, I wear a back weight to keep me from hunching over and getting a backache. They're sold at most quilt stores, it's a couple of straps that go over your shoulders with a weight suspended over your lower back, it's all adjustable and even has two weights that velcro together so you can use as much or as little weight as you need. I like it because it stays with me when I jump up to cut fabric or use the iron unlike the things you put on you chair.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Michelle...I am so sorry! You are way too young to have these problems already. I have RA in my shoulders and wrists and I have a ruptured disk right between my shoulder blades from a car accident (I was rear ended) a few years ago. It is non operable so I have to live with it...Get a good chair and I would highly recommend a nice cushion that has heat and vibration so you can have that as you sit or lean back. It makes it so much easier for me to sit for long periods. My wrists, I use some supports when necessary...because you know....WE HAVE TO STAMP!...lol. Hugs to you.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Another one living with RA here (but I am waaaaay older than the OP).
1. Medicine is your friend. Take what the doctor tells you. I am on a pretty heavy-hitter right now, and it's working well <fingers crossed>.
2. Exercise frequently. It helps me more than anything (I Jazzercise).
When crafting--
--take frequent breaks
--have your space ergonomically suitable for you. The best money I ever spent was on a custom made work table that is comfortable for me to stand and work at (I am 4'10").
--get a rolling secretary chair (mine doesn't have arms so it doesn't get in the way when I sew)
--If it hurts, STOP!

You CAN work with your limitations. Make your work environment as comfortable as possible and that will help you a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have upper back pain from a car accident, and have been thinking of getting something for back support when I stamp and sew. If you do a google search for 'mobility aids' or 'medical aids' a bunch of places come up with help for back pain. I've seen the Gold Violin catalog before specifically. Helpful Products for Independent Living from Gold Violin

Generally these places are advertised for seniors but it doesn't matter if you have the pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm an athletic trainer and work in physical therapy so I thought I'd jump in! I agree with the good chair thing and also exercise. Water exercise would be GREAT for you! Especially if it's an arthritis class in a warm water pool. Try to stay as active as you can, it really does help. Also, seeing a physical therapist might be a good idea as we can teach you specific exercises to strengthen your back and core which will take some stress off of your already stressed spine! We also work on posture a lot and they can teach you posture exercises. It's very important that you pay close and careful attention to your posture, especially while crafting! And like others said, frequent breaks!!! If you take care of yourself well and take action this shouldn't slow you down (much anyway)!!!! Good luck!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting close to 60 (OUCH!!) and have had OA since my early 20s. I have it in my spine, compounded by degenerative discs as well, and as I've aged it has developed pretty much everywhere else, along with fibromyalgia.

The most important thing to remember is that you can live a happy, normal life with arthritis and all its go-alongs. It may not be everything you used to be able to do, but it can be happy and normal. Learn what you can do and for how long. Give up things that really cause pain and flares- I HATED giving up water skiing in the summer but the days of pain afterward were not worth it.

Learn to pace yourself. Don't over do in "good" days- do some but never too much.

Learn to adapt your environment to your needs. Chairs, mattresses, etc. are critical to your comfort. I have found a recliner to be the best chair for me, especially in the evenings when I am tired. SHOES are also very important. Don't skimp on anything that you need or use on a daily basis- get whatever is best for your comfort.

Don't be afraid of medicines!!! There is so much research out there and if you have a good doctor whom you trust, then really trust him/her. If your doctor advises you to try a medicine, DO IT. And, if it takes a while of experimenting to find the right combination of meds, be patient. That's hard I know, but worth it. Take it from someone who could not work for 5 1/2 years- the right combo can improve your life dramatically!

Check out different types of physical therapy. Take careful note of the comment above about warm water pools- they will really help. Arthritis classes in cool pools will NOT help, and can make things much worse. (Been there, tried that- NO GOOD!) But water therapy in warm water can be terrific!

For me, the turning point in managing my OA/DDD/FMS combination was tai-chi. Although only about 45 at the time, I talked my way into a "Tai-chi for Seniors" class based on my conditions. A couple years of taichi made a massive improvement in my ability to function and was one of the keys to allowing me to go back to work.

Like I said, I was diagnosed at a similar age and that was more than 30 years ago. Although there have been some tough times, in general I've had a great life so far. I don't get to do everything I want, but there is so much I CAN do. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Wow another person with RA. I am doing ok with meds. If i sit for a long time i stiffen up.
I have it in alot of places. I found i don't have the hand strength any more. But i must keep making my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #19  
Inking Addict

My Aunt teaches Tai Chi and it really is wonderful. My grandmother takes it as well and she is.... 86 years old. still teaches piano. My 11 year old twins even like doing Tai Chi. Try it. well worth it. It strengthens, tones, as well as adds muscle. all fluid, and smooth movements. Here's a link to my Aunts video. sorry for the quality, but you get the jist.

YouTube - tai chi terri hagler
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

oh, now that I watched the video, there are different speeds also. you do not have to go as fast as the video...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

No RA for me (yet), but I sometimes have issues that keep me out of the studio (ie, the overloaded table tucked into a little nook of a window bay upstairs), and I have found that even when I cannot physically stamp, just thinking about stamping does wonders for my attitude and creativity. I have a large library of books, magazines, and old catalogs that keep me company when I can't stamp. Being "forced to study" instead of playing has lead me to see details I missed before -- folds, color combinations, tools that I didn't need years ago, but have since developed the skill to use them...I like my non-stamping time now!

I second the motion on the chair mat. I didn't realize how difficult moving my chair was until I got one last month!

One word about arthritis, though: my older brother suffered with it in his hands for years. Our family doc told him to avoid beef as the hormones given to the cattle could aggravate the arthritis. He cut out the burgers and was able to cut down his meds by 2/3. It might be worth asking your doctor about.

Good luck & happy stamping!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to say sorry for what you are going through. I hope you find things that work for you so you can lead a healthy, happy life as pain free as you can. My mom has suffered from RA since she was 38 and she definitely doesn't let it slow her down. But she does recognize her limits and it makes all the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful tips and advice! Tricare is apparently working extra fast right now as it only took a day for the civilian PT office to call and get me scheduled! I am just wondering if this is for an extended period, or if it is gonna be another "here are a few exercises have a nice day" kinda thing. All the other times my military doc has referred me it has been on base, so seeing a civilian will be a nice change of pace. I have also always wanted to see a chiropracter, I just could never justify the expense out of my pocket. Stupid Tricare... They cover it for soldiers but not the spouses. Whatever. Anyway... I have started investing in myself. I have joined a civilian gym and have a personal trainer. I guess I now have a bigger and more real reason to motivate me to get the most from my gym membership! Vanity wasn't really working.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and advice! I don't know why, but I am always plesantly supprised by everyone on this site. Everyone is always so positive and ready to help. But it is past Cinderella's bedtime!

Nite all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I've broken my back, had surgery, have CTS - FM and CFS...It all takes it's toll...

I have 2 adjustable height desks, they are made in Sweden and are chain driven so I have one at a high sitting level and one for standing...I use a drafting chair on wheels as it has more adjustments than a secretary chair and I can rest my butt while standing...

I work a bit and then move around, take a break and go back as I can...The hardest has been learning my limits and accepting them...

I switched to the BigKick and Cricut for ease of use and unmounted all my stamps to make them lighter to use...

Biggest thing, your own personal comfort...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I'm getting close to 60 (OUCH!!) and have had OA since my early 20s. I have it in my spine, compounded by degenerative discs as well, and as I've aged it has developed pretty much everywhere else, along with fibromyalgia.

The most important thing to remember is that you can live a happy, normal life with arthritis and all its go-alongs. It may not be everything you used to be able to do, but it can be happy and normal. Learn what you can do and for how long. Give up things that really cause pain and flares- I HATED giving up water skiing in the summer but the days of pain afterward were not worth it.

Learn to pace yourself. Don't over do in "good" days- do some but never too much.

Learn to adapt your environment to your needs. Chairs, mattresses, etc. are critical to your comfort. I have found a recliner to be the best chair for me, especially in the evenings when I am tired. SHOES are also very important. Don't skimp on anything that you need or use on a daily basis- get whatever is best for your comfort.

Don't be afraid of medicines!!! There is so much research out there and if you have a good doctor whom you trust, then really trust him/her. If your doctor advises you to try a medicine, DO IT. And, if it takes a while of experimenting to find the right combination of meds, be patient. That's hard I know, but worth it. Take it from someone who could not work for 5 1/2 years- the right combo can improve your life dramatically!

Check out different types of physical therapy. Take careful note of the comment above about warm water pools- they will really help. Arthritis classes in cool pools will NOT help, and can make things much worse. (Been there, tried that- NO GOOD!) But water therapy in warm water can be terrific!

For me, the turning point in managing my OA/DDD/FMS combination was tai-chi. Although only about 45 at the time, I talked my way into a "Tai-chi for Seniors" class based on my conditions. A couple years of taichi made a massive improvement in my ability to function and was one of the keys to allowing me to go back to work.

Like I said, I was diagnosed at a similar age and that was more than 30 years ago. Although there have been some tough times, in general I've had a great life so far. I don't get to do everything I want, but there is so much I CAN do. Good luck to you!
I'm 42 and I have a physically taxing job which I love. I've also had OA since a very young age plus delibitating migraines and 2 herniated discs. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last year. Plus all the broken bones I've gotten over the years which ache at even the slightest hint of inclement weather. My doctor is talking about a hip replacement next year. Actually all this is what started me crafting so long ago, had to have something to do since I couldn't go anywhere half the time

I happen to be one of those people who hates taking meds. After so many years of taking so many different ones I decided to stop taking them a year ago. Oh my goodness has it been a painful year, have realized I really need to take my meds. I have been looking for some exercise that wouldn't kill me and I keep seeing Taichi popping up, I think I'm going give it a shot.

The one thing I notice that agravates the pain alot is when I absolutely have to finish that project, just one last thing, you know what I mean. I sit there until I finish, when I get up I can barely walk. It really is so important to have a good chair and take lots of breaks and walk away when it's just too much. Nothing is worth aggravating your condition.

I will never give up creating, but I pace myself now so I can keep on creating. And I'm taking my meds;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Get GOOD physical therapy! My husband went one place that never touched him, handed him some papers and said "Go home and do these." He got little relief. Now we both have been found to have QL muscle problems that have led in me to upper back and neck trouble, as well as some arthritis in the spine. Our PT at the new place is AWESOME! They do body work, check our exercises and make sure we are doing it EXACTLY the right way, and really search for answers. If you don't feel that you are getting much help, ask to go someplace else!

I have found that my shoulder and neck really hurt if I have to elevate my arm much to work, so I stamp either sitting much higher than before or with a table much lower. Lifting my arm up and over to stamp at the kitchen table is PAIN! I don't stay in ANY one position for too long as the muscles are still recovering. Also, using the laptop is a sure way to trigger the muscle pain for me! Don't let your lower back start to give in so that your shoulders and head are too far forward. That can also eventually lead to knee pain if you start walking that way! So I guess, posture posture posture is the message, and I THOUGHT mine was great, but I had some bad habits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Being OCONUS do you have the Personal trainer program at your base gym? in Japan it was $100 for ten 1 hour sessions and they worked on an individual program.. like for me, since my wrists do not bend at aLL and I literally cannot get down on the ground( or up again if I fall) my PT showed me how to do 'pushups' on the wall.

I had a great Physical Therapist in Yokosuka too.

My biggest problem now is I am over an hour from my PCM at Bethesda with no DL and a spouse who is 7000 miles away. Luckily he is okay for now giving me phone consults and the occassional new Rx But yeah, i will need that Ortho Consult soon.... Yay for needing new hips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadilloView Post
I had a friend who loved sweets and she discovered that if she stayed away from them her arthritis didn't bother her. Excess poundage affects arthritis.
I don't have any of the health issues being discussed here, just wanted to point something out: the "sweets" thing is more than just a poundage problem. Sugar - in any form - seems to have a negative effect on joints. I have no scientific proof of this, just anecdotal. My friends and family and I have discussed this several times, and we agree across the board that we can tell when we've had too much sugar. Joints ache and stiffen, general sluggishness ensues, etc. Probably good for all of us to stay away from, regardless of whatever health issues we might be facing. The good news? Chocolate seems to bypass this warning - especially dark chocolate...

I do agree with the other posters' suggestions, though, and will throw out one more: If you focus your attention on what you can do and what you enjoy, the things you can't do will seem less and/or actually be less. What we focus on expands... Good luck to you (and to the others who are dealing with these issues)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you don't have access to warm water therapy, a nice warm bath tub can help with some loosening exersise. The chair and back support can be a huge relief, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile I kWUM

I have systemic lupus and FM since I was 20. All of the suggestions are awesome especially to not be afraid of meds. Some people find it better to get a counter height desk (think drafting table set to the flat position) and stand to craft so keep that in mind. One poster recommended you keep your tools at a distance so you are forced to get up to get things. Try it, it might work but if you get too tired try putting things as close as possible. My desk is closely surrounded by shelves and iris carts. I just swivel my chair to reach 85% of my stuff since saving energy is my biggest goal. Keep things in smallish boxes so even if you stack them, nothing is too heavy, especially punches! I use photo storage boxes from Michaels which are really cheap!

I sure hope the progression of your disease is like mine. I've been almost free from flares for 9 years. I still have pain but it is managed by my instance that I get good pain control meds. Best wishes!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can imagine how much this would shock you finding out the news....but, I'm another one with spinal problems....I have had a broken neck, 4 cervical fusions, plate & screws and the disc that are not fused are ruptured down into my thoracic sping...then we have the low back...oh and I broke my ankle last spring and being on the meds I'm on they could not find anything to get rid of the pain...now have plates and screws in my ankle...yep, I'm really SCREWED UP...lol....I also have RSD, Fibro and arthritis in my neck, back, knees and hips (need to get my knee taken care of soon and my hip)

anyway, meds have been my savior....I'm 57 and broke my neck when I was 23....for years they would just give me valium (which I never took) and flexril .....after people started realizing that there are people in constant pain and the view on pain meds changed I still was opposed to taking any....

now for the past 14 years I have been able to be very active due to finding a great pain management doctor...I am on loratabs and morphine....I take as low of a dose as I can get away with....they actually prescribe double what I take....

I get up and move alot....my problem is with the pain meds my mind is just not very creative and I get frustrated.....so I case alot...lol..I do sleep in a recliner about 1/2 the week and have many sleepless nights.....winter is tough....rain is tough....

good luck to you you have been given alot of great advice.....you will find what works for you...PT and exercise will help alot!!!....find a good pain management doctor...someone with a good reputation....they are not there just to give out pain meds but to help control your pain....

Ok, I've rambled enough...another side effect of pain meds...

Oh, also I'm an su demo and this really really helps me keep going....I cannot just stop because my customers and downline depend on me....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Send a message via Skype™ to KT4Shyloh

I was rear-ended in a car accident in Sep 04 and by that Christmas, I was almost crippled. I was diagnosed with sudden and severe Rhuematoid Arthritis in every joint in my body. After a year of trying a dozen or so different meds, all of which did nothing for me, my Rhuematologist got me on to a new Biologic drug called Enbrel. I have a needle, similar to an epi-pen, once a week, and no one I've met since then even knows I have RA. It is a miracle drug, although it doesn't reverse the damage already done, it puts the RA into remission. I strongly suggest you ask your Rhuematologist about the Biologics, there are several different ones. One may be just right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have had chronic back and hip pain for 15+ years, I have compressed my spin and a bunch of other problems related to it including fibermyalgia. I am now dealing with beating breast cancer.
I found to help with the pain managment is yeas a really good chair, but I also have an anti stress pad on the floor under my chair, so I can stand on it too The ladies gave great ideas. Good Luck and take it easy.
Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I stamp standing up; my work area is countertop height. One of the best things I have found for my back problems is a gel floor mat like chefs use. Here is where I found mine; a little pricey, but worth every penny!

https://www.gelpro.com/shop/basketwe...-mats/chestnut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Hi
I am a Polio Survivor (3 years old) and now at the age of 54 I have post polio syndrome. It's a lot like RA. I have to take frequent breaks between creating. I don't by any punches that are hard to punch. Some of the newest (Large Border) EK Success punches are not as easy to use as the regular ones. I stand to do a lot of my punching as I am a punch-a-holic. I take Motrin 800 three times a day. There is not a cure for PPS but the medicine keeps the edge of pain tolerable. Living with pain is no fun indeed, but God is able to help me sustain each day. The best advice I can give you is to learn when your body is speaking to you. Be encouraged and come here when you need uplifting...and of course the Word of God!!! Be blessed.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

I have fibromyalgia, along with a beat up spine/neck, and arthritis. My cholesterol has been out of range since my 40's and those medicines quadruple the difficulties. I've stopped all meds because I got tired of being a zombie and having to take depression medicine - it was like the sun was shining again! I take calcium w/Vit D, and too much acetominophen; I was just prescribed vicodin to reduce the need for so much acetominophen. (It sends me to the mattress for about 15 minutes then it's heaven - well in comparison it is.) A therapist prescribed a few weight lifting exercises for my back/neck and I have a bicycle-type rowing-type machine. All this has made my life much more comfortable than two years ago!
A great invention found at an Akron Ohio convention was "easy grip handle"s, www.RubberStampConcepts.com. They are like cabinet door knobs that have suction cups to adhere to your stamps acrylic block. For the smaller blocks they have round knobs with the suction cups. The price is right too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I have RA too, diagnosed when I was 26. When I stamp and my hands, wrists and knuckles, kill and burn I pound them down with my fists. I thought if it hurts to push I might as well take it out on the stamp and hit it!!! lol

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all of the above, water exercise I have found is the best for me.
The city recreation centers with pools also offer aquatic exercise. Wonderful you just float without any pressure any where in the body.
I have osteopenia (sp)? and terrible lower back pains.
I have found water exercise the best.

Good luck to all of you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 PM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

My suggestion would be simply walking in a warm pool on a regular basis. You can take classes if they are available which can be very helpful with stretching exercises. But the walking in warm water takes the pressure off your joints and it is so much easier than regular land-walking. I used to go to our community pool about 7 a.m. at least 3 times a week. Made me feel so much better. For a short while I went to a nearby motel that had an inside heated pool. They are usually very accommodating, but you want to be sure and go at a time when they are not busy (again early mornings are good).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Sending you hugs. The girls are giving you great advice. I storm chase & I have Lupus. All my years of chasing are catching up to me. I am developing bone spurs & I have arthritis in my back. I am really, really, really active.

You can have a full crafting life. Take lots of breaks. I take one at the top of the hour and do something else for fifteen minutes. I am a Pilates addict. It really helps with the pain. Try some dance classes like ballet. You don't have to do the full classes but the stretching classes will do wonders for your pain.

Reply With Quote Likes