Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hours and hours. Sometimes, days.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No quick cards here...

I am also one of those who cannot make a 10 or 15 minute card and that's okay because I know I'm creating a one-of-a-kind card - even when I am CASEing another card.....it's my time to I enjoy what I'm doing. I recently cased a card for my SIL's bday - she seemed to like it a lot (she is also a cardmaker but uses different "implements" than I do...what was best was when my brother tried to quietly ask if I actually made the card...he was extremely impressed and told me so...that is my reward! If I'm creating my own artwork (!?!) it does take longer (perhaps a few hours) but again, it's my time as a hobbyist and I love doing it even if I don't have the talent that many many others do...practice makes perfect, as they say! To sum up, go with what many others say, have fun and enjoy yourself!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #43  
Cardstock Collector

Yes, I can really get into a single card and it could be as long as a few hours...all depending on my detail, and who I am making it for!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

Yes I can take hours as well. I do think people work in different ways and different things feel satisfying. Some people like to be quick with more simple designs and others may want 'one of a kind' cards. I rarely case anything nor do I buy premade pieces but that's just what rewards me. I can spend the same time trying to make a CAS card as an elaborate one. Frankly, some of the most stunning cards are cards with a great sense of design with not a lot of elements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
Sometimes I color an image or make a background and have no clue what to do with it and it sits and perhaps a month or so later I'll do something with it. I have a drawer full of backgrounds and when DD comes home can pull them out and throw a card together in 10 min.
I have learned that I need to quite obsessing over 'what's missing, what else does it need?"
Sometimes, no matter what I do I can not complete a card - either the creative juices are not flowing or nothing looks good. Those are the times that I too will make lots of backgrounds - such as using alcohol inks or sprays. I use them later and then the card is much quicker.

My time is spent either on the layout or that final element! The quickest part (or it just feels that way) is the main element or central image. I have spent time obsessing over what else does it need!!! Sometimes a card just doesn't seem to want to be creatively born yet and needs more time to bake. I too have learned to set them aside as fighting it will not go well for the card or yourself! I have done that with jewelry too.

What an interesting thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Love this thread. I can agree with and relate to everything said, except when I have an idea that pops into my head or that maybe came to me in a dream, it seems to take longer for me to pull it all together and make it look like my "vision." Seems my ideas don't come with all the elements--colors, papers, inks quite figured out. However, sometimes that means 3-4 respectable cards, but not exactly what I had in mind. Time? Several hours to several days. Hardly ever less, even if I'm casing, but I so enjoy the creative process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #47  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
What's the rush in making a card? It's the enjoyment you get from creating the card from idea to completion.

Patti
That's my thought. Who cares how long it takes? Are you enjoying yourself? Are you feeling creative? Do you like your card when you're finished? Those are the important things. There's too much rushing around in "real life" to force yourself into making a card in 20 minutes. This is supposed to be fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

I feel so relieved after I read this post, I was worried I was spending too much time on my cards but now I don't feel bad since everyone else seem to take their time too and let the process come to them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I can easily spend 3-4 + hours on one card. I don't make multiples.

I am retired and what ever I do , I leisurely enjoy the process. I don't care how much time it takes for me to complete anything.

Too much in our lives is a rat race . I don't want my hobbies to be measured by production control standards LOL
If I enjoyed making a card and liked the end result that is all the counts
I agree with what Barbara Jay said about too much in our lives is a rat race. I take my time over my cards because if I rush, I don't usually like the results.

Knitting is my other hobby - and that is a very slow and time-consuming hobby! Think how long it takes to knit a sweater (or even a scarf).

For me, the reward is in the doing more than in the finished product.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

First I like to start by deciding on what stamps I am going to use. Then I do a small sketch go give myself some idea. Pick a colour and stick to the ATC rule...background, focal point, embellishment. Most of the time it works....LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

ha ha ha ha ha ha ........ I love these answers....... There are some cards I've made that have been done rather quickly, and then I've had the one I'm working on now on my table for about 5 days!!! Does it matter when we're having fun creating?? I love the process. You all are great with your responses, that's why I love this site.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

I love all the responses to this thread. It all depends on where i am at when making a card. If i am at work. 10-30 mins for break and lunch is all i get. When i am at home i can take all the time i need. Some of my best cards are done at work. I can keep a pad near my workstation to jot down ideas and sketches. Great thread. I have to learn to not rush myself( then maybe i can do a WOW card).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

For me this isn't a race , it is a journey. I don't measure how long a card took to make. My goal is to really like It when I am finished .

If I think it needs something else and I am at a loss for an idea , I put it in a card stand and set in on my book case . I see it every time I pass the bookcase and eventually an idea surfaces. Some recipes like soup need time to simmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

For me, it's about creativity. Sometimes they come together quickly, and somedays I labor in vain. The pleasure for me is the end result, no matter the time. :-)

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else.� Judy Garland
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has made me feel so much better! I thought I was the slowest cardmaker ever, but knowing that others, whose work I really admire (everyone here is so talented!!), can take ages to get their cards just right is somehow soothing. I have to show this to my DH so he stops asking me what's taking so long when I'm making a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I really feel at home here. I take hours to make a card - I use a variety of techniques such as stamping, iris and teabag folding, stitching, lac�, and lots of matting and layering (not all on one card, of course ). I belong to another forum where most of the members use craft CDs and print off backing papers/toppers by the dozen and produce half a dozen cards in as many minutes.......this isn't craft to me, but I don't say a word about it and don't show my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

sometimes it takes me longer than other times, depends what style I'm going for, but I dont mind, love the result ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
For me this isn't a race , it is a journey. I don't measure how long a card took to make. My goal is to really like It when I am finished .

If I think it needs something else and I am at a loss for an idea , I put it in a card stand and set in on my book case . I see it every time I pass the bookcase and eventually an idea surfaces. Some recipes like soup need time to simmer.
great response ;)
I was looking for a like button like facebook lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I spend hours on one at one time and then another time I will put out one in ten minutes. Those are usually ones I have done before and need one, so I just copy it. My husband now comes home and says "hey hon, I need a birthday card for Bob" and I say "oh....that's music to my ears!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Depends on the card, but 2 hours for sure. Also depend on the stamp, will I have to paint?
Sometimes I make 2 - 3 cards and paint them another day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

I am one of the slowpokes! It usually takes me a couple hours or more. I enjoy the process of "designing" the card. Usually I start with the stamp and just play around with everything else (papers, embellishments, etc) until an idea forms. I have not tried to case a card yet but I just found the thread on here of all the past sketches and I will try some to see how I like using a sketch.
It is great to read that there is a variety of speeds out there and I am not the slowest in the world, ha ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #62  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamprrView Post
I am one of the slowpokes! It usually takes me a couple hours or more. I enjoy the process of "designing" the card. Usually I start with the stamp and just play around with everything else (papers, embellishments, etc) until an idea forms. I have not tried to case a card yet but I just found the thread on here of all the past sketches and I will try some to see how I like using a sketch.
It is great to read that there is a variety of speeds out there and I am not the slowest in the world, ha ha!
I love the sketch challenges. They get your creative juices flowing. I have also cased cards many times, but most of those are still my own because I don't have the same stamps/papers/inks etc so I have to make them up as I go. I spent two hours last night casing a card that pops up. Sooo cool and I had similar papers, but did not have the stamps. I had to get a clip art from the internet to finish it. Came out pretty good, even if I must say so myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #63  
Kookie Creator

I can make ard 10-25 cards a day without colouring Colouring is done on a seperate day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM   #64  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Like most, it can take me 2-5 hours per card. Sometimes even over a DAY! yep.

I hem and haw over the layout, colors, ribbon, etc. I NEVER put together a card quickly. Even my CAS cards take forever, I painstakingly arrange/rearrange the simple embellies for hours!

You are not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Good to know I am not the only slow poke I take 3 hours sometimes and a few days other times. If I get stumped and am not feeling it, I will put it down and work on something else till my mojo returns. I guess what takes me so long is the images I pick to color they are very detailed sometimes. And if I am going to spend the time making a card, I want it to be perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes