Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Default There's a cricut in my future -- which one do you recommend?

I received a bonus and I'm thinking I'd like to add a cricut to my tool collection. Not having paid any attention to it, I'd love a recommendation on which one to get? I've been using the Big Shot and I like it, but I think I would use the cricut a bit more. I'm trying to get into more 3D things and I do more cards than scrapbooks.

What is your recommendation and why? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
I like my Expression, the original one. I think the Expression 2 is what is on the market. it cuts 12x12 or 12x24. There are close to 300 cartridges, which many image and font choices. Provo Craft is offering a lot of the older cartridges (hard to find and expensive) as digital downloads that work with Provo Crafts on-line design program called Cricut Craft Room (the program is free). I don't have the Imagine (prints designs from special cartridges onto your paper and then cuts the image). If you want to do 3-D get the Imagine or the Expression 2, not the mini, the mini cuts less than 12". If you want images from the internet, or fonts from your computer the Cricut is not the machine for you. I use my Expression a lot and I like the Cricut products. Have fun deciding.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Expression. It is easy to use. Learning curve is small. I don't like to use the computer to design images, when I want to craft, I just want to cut and make stuff!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

If you haven't already, I would try one before you decide. For me it has huge, steep learning curve that I have never mastered which just goes to show how different we all really are.

I bought an Expression a couple of years ago and I really regret my purchase. I have never been able to work out how to get things to cut at the size I want them to, despite taking online classes, as well as a class at my LSS and I still haven't learn to love it. I'm usually pretty good with machines but this one is a giant pain in my rear. I'd hate to see someone else spend all that money without a happy ending. Mine just sits there accusing me in the corner.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Ladies,

Thanks so much for your feedback -- I'm taking a step back and will do some more investigation. I really appreciate you taking time to answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #6  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
If you haven't already, I would try one before you decide. For me it has huge, steep learning curve that I have never mastered which just goes to show how different we all really are.

I bought an Expression a couple of years ago and I really regret my purchase. I have never been able to work out how to get things to cut at the size I want them to, despite taking online classes, as well as a class at my LSS and I still haven't learn to love it. I'm usually pretty good with machines but this one is a giant pain in my rear. I'd hate to see someone else spend all that money without a happy ending. Mine just sits there accusing me in the corner.....
Same here :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm dittoing tjblack3 and SuG. My issue(s) wasn't so much a learning curve, but the cuts were never as clean as I wanted them to be, the circles were always wonky as were all of the other geometrical shapes, and I never came close to using all of the images from a purchased cart. In all of my crafting purchases, the cricut expression, gypsy and the carts were the only ones I regretted. Just a couple of months ago, I donated the machine, the cartridges, the mats, the pens, the markers, the replacement blades and everything included with the Gypsy to the Salvation Army. Now I can go into my craft room and not get irritated looking at that stuff.

Color of Happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an Expression, and an Expression 2. I do prefer the plain old Expression, although if I studied the book for the E2 more I might like it better. But I really like using my Gypsy with both machines, it really comes in handy. I use my Expression all the time, with all different kinds of papers. It takes a little getting used to at first, getting used to all of the settings, but it's really worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I have the smaller one, and was lucky enough to find the Expression at an amazing price and and just did it. It was marked down at Walmart and I am convinced it was wrong, but after 20 minutes 2 managers and a sales person, they sold it. I have not had any issues with cuts being weird either. I agree with trying out the machines and seeing which one you love and suits you better though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjblack3View Post
I received a bonus and I'm thinking I'd like to add a cricut to my tool collection. Not having paid any attention to it, I'd love a recommendation on which one to get? I've been using the Big Shot and I like it, but I think I would use the cricut a bit more. I'm trying to get into more 3D things and I do more cards than scrapbooks.

What is your recommendation and why? Thanks for your help!
Hi Tami! Like you, I'm mainly a card maker. I have the cricut create. It is a smaller machine and it does not do big cuts. check out Cricut personal cutting machines by Provo Craft let you express your creativity how and where you want. This will help you in deciding what cricut machine will best fit your needs. I do have to admit I don't use it that often but when I do, I really enjoy it. Close to my heart just put out a cartridge called "Art Philosophy" I have it and it is a great cartridge! Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I recommend the Silhouette Cameo! WAY more precise cuts, and way cheaper in the long run!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I second the Sihouette Cameo, I just traded up to a Cameo and could not be happier! I have had a Cricut since they first came out, both the original and the expression, and am very familiar with Cricut cutting. I always had difficulty getting clean cuts in smaller sizes and with more delicate designs. The Cameo cuts are amazing! And the cost savings of not having a cartridge dependent machine is huge! ProvoCraft lost me as a customer when they sued the 3rd party providers that allowed me the freedom to use the machines I purchased the way I wished to use them. Take a look at Silhouetteonlinestore.com and see what you can get for the cost of one Cricut Cartridge. Also, there are unlimited number is SVG files available for free or very low cost and you only purchase the images you want and know you will use. And the ability to scan stamped images, import them into Silhouette Studio software and cut a mat is huge for me!

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I have the Expression, and I've had no problems with it at all. It took hardly any time to learn how to use it. There are lots of videos on YouTube that are very helpful too. I've had mine for 4 years now, and it's still going strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the Expression and although I use it when I can, I think if I had the Cameo I would use it more, because of the ability to scan in stamps and the cleaner cuts.

Personally I find the cartridge system a burden. I thought it would be great to have all these images that I like on hand... but finding them working out the different quirks of each cartridge etc is just a PITA.

TBH I think the cameo reviews seem to be genuine and not too bandwagon. Good luck with your decision and happy cutting! Can't wait to see what you make!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I have the Cricut Expression and I love it! I highly recommend it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I would do some investigating.

I have a Cricut Imagine, Cricut Create, Silhouette Cameo & Bosskut Gazelle. I use my Gazelle and my Create the most. I do a lot of heavy duty work so my Gazelle comes into play. I like to game with my husband while I craft so I use my Create when I am gaming over by the TV. Nothing will kill your MoJo quicker than taking your craft room over to the TV, lol.

I keep up on all the die cutting news. It's my geek hobby.

Cricut Mini- Right now as it stands the Cricut Mini is working with Cricut Craft Room, glitchy with Gypsy.

Cricut E2- Last I heard the E2 update pretty much rendered the E2 useless with Gypsy and Cricut Craft Room so you can only use individual carts in the machine until they get that mess fixed.

Cricut Expression, Personal Cricut & Create are no longer made but PC does still support them. All three of these machines work with Cricut Craft Room and Gypsy. I can say I hate the way Cricut Craft Room cuts on the older machines. You can find some excellent deals right now on Ebay for these Cricut's.

Cricut Imagine- No longer made and buggy as can be. I have the Imagine and never had a problem. That is the best Cricut machine I have ever owned. The machine is huge, heavy and extremely cumbersome. Those who are lucky enough to own the Imagines that work love them. We all complain about the size and weight.

There is a new Cricut coming out on the market that is supposed to be like the Cameo. The patent went up on it about three weeks ago. PC will not be releasing any more machines all willy nilly and throughly testing before release. They have a new CEO who has his act together. I don't know when or if this machine will be released. I am thinking next Summer CHA at the earliest.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'd skip the Cricut and go for the Cameo. I have both and enjoy having both, but for the sharpness of the cuts...hands down the Cameo wins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I would do some investigating.

I have a Cricut Imagine, Cricut Create, Silhouette Cameo & Bosskut Gazelle. I use my Gazelle and my Create the most. I do a lot of heavy duty work so my Gazelle comes into play. I like to game with my husband while I craft so I use my Create when I am gaming over by the TV. Nothing will kill your MoJo quicker than taking your craft room over to the TV, lol.

I keep up on all the die cutting news. It's my geek hobby.

Cricut Mini- Right now as it stands the Cricut Mini is working with Cricut Craft Room, glitchy with Gypsy.

Cricut E2- Last I heard the E2 update pretty much rendered the E2 useless with Gypsy and Cricut Craft Room so you can only use individual carts in the machine until they get that mess fixed.

Cricut Expression, Personal Cricut & Create are no longer made but PC does still support them. All three of these machines work with Cricut Craft Room and Gypsy. I can say I hate the way Cricut Craft Room cuts on the older machines. You can find some excellent deals right now on Ebay for these Cricut's.

Cricut Imagine- No longer made and buggy as can be. I have the Imagine and never had a problem. That is the best Cricut machine I have ever owned. The machine is huge, heavy and extremely cumbersome. Those who are lucky enough to own the Imagines that work love them. We all complain about the size and weight.

There is a new Cricut coming out on the market that is supposed to be like the Cameo. The patent went up on it about three weeks ago. PC will not be releasing any more machines all willy nilly and throughly testing before release. They have a new CEO who has his act together. I don't know when or if this machine will be released. I am thinking next Summer CHA at the earliest.

Wow that is really interesting (especially about the new CEO - sales must have plummetted). Hope that means some other things will change too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

I have the expression and I do like it but do not use it as much as the Big Shot or Cuddlebug.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #20  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Red face Great Question

Thanks for asking, good input! I have a Cricut (1) ... don't even know what it's called but it only cuts 6"x12". I've had it for 4 years and use it alot (scrapbooking ) but I'm looking to get a newer one. I was thinking I wanted the Expression, thank you ladies for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Wow that is really interesting (especially about the new CEO - sales must have plummetted). Hope that means some other things will change too.
He was the Vice President (I think) with Logitech. I know he was high up at Logitech, lol.

He seems to have his act together. The changes are slower than molasses but look how bad that company is when he took over. Poor man. I should send him a sympathy card.

They hired a new guy to take care of media for the company. His name is Nathan. He's actually a Cricut user and a crafter since childhood. He has his head on straight too.

Thursday at 11a.m. Mountain Time Nathan is holding a chat on Cricut MB to address all the problems and issues we are having. The girls on the MB are already nailing him with pre-questions. Well, he asked, lol.

I do think the company will make a turnaround but it will never be in it's glory. I don't want glory. I want steady.

The new CEO has already discontinued the Gypsy, Imagine, and Knifty Knitter Looms. I cried about the looms, lol. I have the whole set.

They are close to getting our cartridges off the Gypsy and to be linked to our Cricut account. No date when it will happen. It will happen and it's not another promise. The new CEO is really concerned about that. I think he figured out the Gypsy is a piece of junk and who designed it needs to be throttled.

I know some of you read my Gypsy threads on the board where I am always coming up with unique fixes.

I know I have more news but I can't remember it off the top of my had. Oh, I remember. They might be disbanding the Circle. I think they are going to restructure it and make it like a video game club. I got a survey a few months back about different pricing structures. You can't get a Circle membership any more. Rewards might be on the chopping block too.

This new CEO is really throwing down the mallet. I say about time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I pretty much echo a lot of the comments but sum them up in saying "get anything but any type of Cricut". First and foremost, figure out if you want to be tied to cartridges or if you want the freedom to buy or use individual images. If so, you need something that works with third party software such as Sure Cuts a Lot or Make the Cut (or the custom programs that come with some of the newer cutters. Do some reading on how Provo Craft did some bullying of small companies and has been suing everybody in sight. Decide if that's the type of company you wish to support.

A new machine isn't in my budget at the moment but the instant mine dies, the Silhouette Cameo is at the top of my wish list. Right now the best prices on that are on the Gina K website at $259 including free shipping in the USA. Hopefully by the time I can afford one, they'll be shipping to Canada :-)

In short, do your research and figure out what you want, and if Provo Craft is the type of company you want to support. It is kind of like deciding whether or not you want to buy a "blood diamond" and support what many consider to be unscrupulous activities ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #23  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

the reason I got my cricut was because at the time sure cuts alot was available to use on cricut. I would never pay out the price for the cartridges unless they had a LOT of images I might use over and over, and most have just a few. Way too expensive. I am hearing a lot of good from other machines and will start looking into them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

He was the Vice President (I think) with Logitech. I know he was high up at Logitech, lol.

He seems to have his act together. The changes are slower than molasses but look how bad that company is when he took over. Poor man. I should send him a sympathy card.

They hired a new guy to take care of media for the company. His name is Nathan. He's actually a Cricut user and a crafter since childhood. He has his head on straight too.

Thursday at 11a.m. Mountain Time Nathan is holding a chat on Cricut MB to address all the problems and issues we are having. The girls on the MB are already nailing him with pre-questions. Well, he asked, lol.

I do think the company will make a turnaround but it will never be in it's glory. I don't want glory. I want steady.

The new CEO has already discontinued the Gypsy, Imagine, and Knifty Knitter Looms. I cried about the looms, lol. I have the whole set.

They are close to getting our cartridges off the Gypsy and to be linked to our Cricut account. No date when it will happen. It will happen and it's not another promise. The new CEO is really concerned about that. I think he figured out the Gypsy is a piece of junk and who designed it needs to be throttled.

I know some of you read my Gypsy threads on the board where I am always coming up with unique fixes.

I know I have more news but I can't remember it off the top of my had. Oh, I remember. They might be disbanding the Circle. I think they are going to restructure it and make it like a video game club. I got a survey a few months back about different pricing structures. You can't get a Circle membership any more. Rewards might be on the chopping block too.

This new CEO is really throwing down the mallet. I say about time.
Wow! Maybe I need to go back to the Cricut boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

As someone who has both a Cricut Expression 2 and a Silhouette SD, I'd really recommend going with a Silhouette. My Cricut cuts wonky circles, I can't get layers to cut the same size (probably user error but I can't figure it out ) and I've spent hours and hours and can't get it hooked up to Cricut Craftroom on line. I LOVE my Silhouette and if I had the extra money would get a Cameo.
just my 2 cents ;)

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I have a Cricut and would not buy one now if I was starting out. When I bought mine (Expression), you could use fantastic, open, third-party design software in addition to the Cricut cartridges. The machine itself has never been the best cutter out there, but back when it was the only one that could be used with cartridges *and* great design software, it was the perfect machine/system for someone brand new to electronic cutting.

Then Provo Craft shut down the use of those great third-party programs, stopped updating & improving their own stand-alone design software, and introduced an online-only design program that is slow, clunky, and does not have the features available in other design programs. boo hiss

All along, they've brought out new gadgets & machines that have needed MAJOR tweaking long after they were in customers' hands. Some of these things have never worked as initially promised.

More (and better) machines have come along, and FAR better design software is available now. I have about 200 cartridges and a Gypsy, so I'm invested in the Cricut system, but all I use my (old) Expression for is cutting from carts. When I want to design something from scratch, cut the fonts on my computer, use cutfiles I find/buy on the web, cut detailed designs, or cut heavy material, I use one of my KNKs or my Sizzix Eclips.

IMO, the Cricut system is a money pit. Cartridges, cartridges, and more cartridges. You cannot design freely with the new machines or with any Cricut that has been updated in the past year or so. (Only an old Cricut machine that has not had its firmware updated since PC sued the third-party design programs can still use those fantastic programs.) To cut anything other than a cartridge image, you need to use a Gypsy or the online-only Cricut design program, and you're still limited to manipulating cartridge images and are not truly designing from scratch.

I stopped visiting the Cricut MB when some of the people there started getting nasty with those who are not all moon-eyed about everything Cricut, so I don't have the latest info on what's going on. Sounds like things may be on the upswing in some ways. Even so, I would never buy into a closed system, and I don't believe Provo Craft will ever allow the use of open design software.

For those who want to use both cartridges and cut from fantastic open design software that allows you to design something from scratch, cut the fonts on your computer, use cutfiles you find/buy on the web, cut detailed designs, and/or cut heavier material than a Cricut, Cameo, CraftRobo, Pazzles, or Gazelle, I suggest a Sizzix Eclips. There's a comparison chart HERE.

One thing I'd like to point out about the chart is that with the Sizzix Eclips and the eCAL software, you can certainly weld shapes and letters, use fonts on your computer, etc. (The chart needs to be updated to show the introduction of eCAL.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
As someone who has both a Cricut Expression 2 and a Silhouette SD, I'd really recommend going with a Silhouette. My Cricut cuts wonky circles, I can't get layers to cut the same size (probably user error but I can't figure it out ) and I've spent hours and hours and can't get it hooked up to Cricut Craftroom on line. I LOVE my Silhouette and if I had the extra money would get a Cameo.
just my 2 cents ;)
It's not user error. The Cricut is legendary for its wonky circles & scallops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Holy cow! I gave up on the Cricut boards and didn't know all this. What are we to do about our Gypsys and all those linked carts? I don't want to use crummy CCR, so linking my carts to my Cricut account seems unnecessary.

One of the things PC needs is an awesome NOT-online-only design program that we don't have to link our carts to use, and allows more freedom in designing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I finally bit the bullet and signed up for CCR - took a little bit to upload and find the cartridges after I uploaded them. It still feels cumbersome to me. I hope Mr Logitech sorts it out.

BTW I have a MIB Sillouette (not SD) I've never used if anyone can point me in the direction of good info to get it started I would be ever so grateful. I got intimidated and got my Expression on the cheapest Black Friday deal I ever saw a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Jin's blog Under a Cherry Tree: Under A Cherry Tree
is probably one of the best sites for Silhouette info.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

I have the original Cricut and the Expression. I am very happy with both machines--they do exactly what I wanted them to do all those years ago: cut shapes without needing a computer or computer knowledge. Since then, I have learned a little about Sure Cuts A Lot (which requires a computer) and I love the ability to cut what I want using various images that are not on cartridges. In the past, I found the Cricut MB very helpful and informative. Then Provocraft started the Cricut Circle and a new message board and I quit following it and adding my projects. (I had no desire to pay a fee to become a Circle member when I already was spending a fair share on carts, etc.) I still use my Cricuts, but my next machine will either be an eClips (has the eCAL program, which is the eClips version of SCAL, available) or the Cameo. Whatever machine you add to your collection, enjoy it and be sure to share your projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
In short, do your research and figure out what you want, and if Provo Craft is the type of company you want to support. It is kind of like deciding whether or not you want to buy a "blood diamond" and support what many consider to be unscrupulous activities ;-)
I don't support blood diamonds. My problem does not stem from ProvoCraft the company. My problem stems from the people who worked for ProvoCraft. Those people have been replaced and are being replaced. I will continue to give ProvoCraft a chance until next Winter's CHA because I think the new CEO deserves a chance and that will be his year anniversary with the company. I blame the people not the company. ProvoCraft used to be a great company and trustworthy company at one time. I will give them a chance to do so again.

I am writing as one who should have given up on PC a long time ago. I have been bullied on that board by Cricut haters that I had to get the law involved. I received no help from ProvoCraft. This included bullying PM's that said my husband should have died in his car accident because he bought me Cricut cartridges. You can't even imagine the pain & hurt that I feel over that still now. I had one of my posts rewritten by an Admin because a Bug Guide posted an employee's ID number at CHA. That had nothing to do with my post. I was asking a direct question about Cricut Craft Room. I wasn't even at CHA. I was setting home in a blizzard. Even though I received an apology and the Admin was let go three days later over it. I am still angry about it. I won't even start since it will turn into a book about little Miss Bug Guide who has an all important attitude and has treated several of the beloved board members like absolute dirt because she could get away with it. She has done a 180 since the new CEO has come on board.

I could go on and on and on. Trust me I don't support blood diamonds. I have very specific reasons why I use PC products from their looms to Coluzzle. I was flamed for saying I wanted to see people's heads roll. I was called a mean person for people wanting to lose their jobs. Those people tore a good company down and their actions are threatening the livelihood of good people who do work there. Yeah! I am happy that several got fired so the several hundred that work at PC can go to bed at night not worried that PC is going to fold up tomorrow.

I am sorry in advance if I sound all flamey. That just hit a nerve.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Wow! Maybe I need to go back to the Cricut boards!
I took a huge break after my meltdown this Winter. That was a horrible time. A lot of you know that post at the MB my Mom has this crazy relative that started stalking me on the Cricut MB. She went as far to send me several broken Cricut cartridges in the mail. At first I thought it was one of those Cricut haters. Then I found out it was a relative of my Mom's that has a problem with her. Trust me the woman is probably justified, lol. She has a bad drug problem apparently. I have taken care of all that legally. The kicker was the woman had no problem with me. Jeez! That's drugs for you. :(

My DH was in a bad car accident this January. I almost lost him. I was so upset. Then one of my cats almost died. Then my guinea pig did die. I was a mess. When my DH almost died I fell apart. I had a bunch of Cricut haters attack me for no reason at all including sending PM's and e-mails saying my DH should have died because he bought me Cricut cartridges. I don't know how I attract hateful people in my life. I know none of you know me in real life. I am very quiet and everyone tells me I am sweet like Dolly Parton. I had to take a break from the board because I had to deal with all that legally. I was just so darn hurt. I am still hurt. I am really angry. That's why I had die cutter burnout too. It's just all emotional for me.

I went back a couple of weeks ago. I got that stomach flu so I didn't feel like doing anything but surfing. The board is a lot more quieter. Nobody posts any more. A few of the regulars are still around. A lot of new girls who just don't understand what happened. Thank gosh. It's a lot different. I kind of like it. It seems like a few of us are coming out of hiding.

I know some of you reading this would go "Why would you post at a board that treated you so bad?" Good question. I have a lot of wonderful girlfriends on the board who have been my rock as I dealt with a lot of hard things in the past few years. We are all really, really close. Some of them are now going through hard things. Now, I can be there for them and show them the love and support they gave me. That board used to be a sisterhood. It's really sad now. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
Holy cow! I gave up on the Cricut boards and didn't know all this. What are we to do about our Gypsys and all those linked carts? I don't want to use crummy CCR, so linking my carts to my Cricut account seems unnecessary.

One of the things PC needs is an awesome NOT-online-only design program that we don't have to link our carts to use, and allows more freedom in designing.
I know I keep wondering what we are going to do with all our linked cartridges. The new CEO is truly working on how to get our cartridges linked to the Cricut.com account. Then we will always be able to access them if we lose everything to a natural disaster, theft or fire. I hope that never happens to any of us.

No more Gypsy. :( So they better get our cartridges off of the Gypsies or you will see me throw down the gauntlet against that company. I am not joking.

I am like you I hate CCR. I had different words than Crummy, lol. I won't use it. I told them it was a bad idea of an online design program that you need to run a peripheral on. What could ever go wrong? Rolling eyes here.

Mercy keeps trying to get me to work for PC, lol. I told her I never will because I will get barked at. !

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I finally bit the bullet and signed up for CCR - took a little bit to upload and find the cartridges after I uploaded them. It still feels cumbersome to me. I hope Mr Logitech sorts it out.

BTW I have a MIB Sillouette (not SD) I've never used if anyone can point me in the direction of good info to get it started I would be ever so grateful. I got intimidated and got my Expression on the cheapest Black Friday deal I ever saw a few years ago.
CCR is cumbersome.

Silhouette you need to download Silhouette Design Studio. It's free. Here's the link- Silhouette - Download New Software

Install the software. It's just a simple installation. Turn on your Silhouette and your ready to go.

There is a Windows Bug in Windows 7 that will say it didn't find the driver or properly install it. Just ignore that.

Here's a great group to help you with your Silhouette. It's the Silhouette Plus group- Error. I know this reads as error. Don't ask me why. I think it's the way I am plugging the URL in. It will take you to the site.

My friend Debbie is the owner of that site. She also has her great blog with Silhouette tutorials- Paper Pulse Blog Spot. She also has a You Tube channel with lots of tutorials.

I used to post and help out at the Silhouette plus group. I had to stop due to a couple of Cricut haters over there harassing me. I didn't want to bug Debbie about it. Her StepFather was dying at the time. I would have felt mean. I do miss the board.

That should give you a good starting point.

Ok, I am done blabbing now. I know you are all going thank gosh. I don't know what got into me posting all those replies. I will regret it next time I log in. I think I am having an emotional week losing my cat, Aurora shootings. I know two people who were hurt. They will be ok though. I am heat beat.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

DeeAnn, I am truly very sorry to hear about the way you were treated on the Cricut board. I left that board years ago because of the cliquiness and ugliness! Crafting is my happy place and that board was no longer conducive to that. I too was a long time supporter of PC, spending a large portion of my crafting budget on their products for well over ten years. I bought the original Cricut soon after it was introduced and the Expression as well. I own/owned cartrideges in the triple digits. I am happy to hear there is a new CEO and certain employees have been replaced and hope that PC can someday be the company it was. But that poor man can never undo the damage that has been done! Releasing inferior products, expensive products that never worked the way they were touted to work, not supporting the products they sold, I could go on but you know what I am talking about. But the lawsuits against 3rd party software, software that actually allowed me to use the machines the way I wanted and was the reason I upgraded my machine and continued to buy from PC, well that was the final straw for me! I just cannot in good conscience continue to support a company that bullies small companies, companies that have great products that they fully support with excellent customer service, products that makes the PC machines worth the money I have invested in them. I don't see how the new CEO, or anyone else for that matter, can ever make that right. So for me, the Silhouette Cameo was the right choice. And if I were to chooses a cartridge based system again, it would be the Sizzix Eclips with the eCal software. While I wish PC well and hope they move forward as a company and get back on track, I just don't see myself as a PC customer anytime in the near future.

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I am having one of those mornings where everything is taking twenty years. I am still posting. I had to get my DH up. Then one of my friends sent me a message needing me. I am back.

FishyMom- I understand what your saying. I do agree with what your saying. Trust me I do hear you loud and clear what your saying. I do agree 100%.

I wrote a third party software for the Cricut. I was releasing it under an Open Source license. I also wrote a driver to work under Linux. One of my relatives is a corporate lawyer so before I was releasing my software I made sure I legally could. This software would also work with the Graphtec machines. I was releasing it as freeware. Todd came out with SCAL the week I was releasing. I just shelved it. I didn't want to release a competing product when mine was freeware and his was payware. He's trying to feed his family. I am just being a geek. I do really regret not releasing my software. One of my big crafting/geek regrets.

When I wrote the Linux driver I actually did post it too the board so Cricut users could use it with Design Studio. I was threatened buy an Admin over it and she pulled my thread. Then she threatened a fourteen year old board who also wrote a driver and asked for my help. Then this same Admin got into my personal PM's and deleted any reference to Linux. Then she sent me a PM over it. I had some legal things going on with PC too. I hate their bullying tactics.

The more I write I wonder why I keep using PC products, lol. I do like a lot of their items.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

wow! I have been out of the Cricut loop for a while and had no idea a new CEO was hired. I hope they get that company in shape,because I gave up on them long ago! I just cashed in my rewards points that have been sitting for years. Someone up thread mentioned they might go. They had nothing I want,so I ordered like 15 rolls of Terrifically tacky tape and a set of mats. pretty sad pickin's over there!
Anyway,to answer the OP's question,run from the cricut, get a Cameo! I don't have a Cameo, and have not been using my Cricut at all lately. It's too much time and hassle for me. I would rather just pull out a Spellbinder or other metal die and run it through my Grand Caliber really quick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

I was being a bit facetious when mentioning the blood diamonds. I admire you for being able to give them another chance, especially after the other issues you endured. It would take a lot for them to earn my trust back.

Quote:

I don't support blood diamonds. My problem does not stem from ProvoCraft the company. My problem stems from the people who worked for ProvoCraft. Those people have been replaced and are being replaced. I will continue to give ProvoCraft a chance until next Winter's CHA because I think the new CEO deserves a chance and that will be his year anniversary with the company. I blame the people not the company. ProvoCraft used to be a great company and trustworthy company at one time. I will give them a chance to do so again.

(snipped some)

I am sorry in advance if I sound all flamey. That just hit a nerve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I know I keep wondering what we are going to do with all our linked cartridges. The new CEO is truly working on how to get our cartridges linked to the Cricut.com account. Then we will always be able to access them if we lose everything to a natural disaster, theft or fire. I hope that never happens to any of us.

No more Gypsy. :( So they better get our cartridges off of the Gypsies or you will see me throw down the gauntlet against that company. I am not joking.

I am like you I hate CCR. I had different words than Crummy, lol. I won't use it. I told them it was a bad idea of an online design program that you need to run a peripheral on. What could ever go wrong? Rolling eyes here.

Mercy keeps trying to get me to work for PC, lol. I told her I never will because I will get barked at. !
Thanks for the info, DeeAnn. I'm going to update my Gypsy today. It's been many, many months since I've used it. I have some carts I was given for Christmas & Mother's Day that haven't been linked; sounds like I should leave them unlinked for now.

Mercy has the patience of a saint, I swear! Unlike many others on that board, she's so helpful and is able to represent PC without resorting to hand-slapping. You were also so incredibly helpful when I was spending time over there. I'm sorry to hear about how badly you were treated behind the scenes. The posts against some of us (you included) were snarky enough, but to hear that you were subjected to so much personal crap is really disappointing.

It does sound as thought the new CEO knows which end is up, but if we're stuck with carts that are linked to with Gs that won't be supported/updated, there will be a revolt that'll make the war over third-party software look like a playground skirmish.

While I do use my other machines more, my kids and their friends & classmates love using the Cricut. I have a boatload of money invested in the system and, though I rarely buy carts anymore and am happy with my original Expression, I will be furious if there's no way to continue using the products I own.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 07-26-2012 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes