Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #81  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernStormView Post
Is it actual fact that glycerin is ok for rubber?
Stormy
It is an actual fact that glycerine is ok for rubber. It is one of the ingredients in most stamp cleaners (including SUs) and it is probably one of the main ingredients in Versa Mark.

Glycerin is a component of animal fat. It is used in "craft" or pigment inks (have you seen the gloppy clear solutions coming from your craft pads?) and lots of lotions and soaps:

"Glycerin is a sweet tasting, colorless, thick liquid that has a high boiling point and freezes to a paste. Cold process soap makers use it because it is a humectant. This means that it attracts moisture to your skin. It is a natural by-product in the soap making process. Commercial manufacturers remove glycerin to be used in more expensive lotions and creams but an amount remains in every soap bar made.
Extra glycerin added to a soap bar produces a clear finish and extra moisturizing qualities. It is also a good solvent. Many things will dissolve into glycerin easier than they do into alcohol or water.((maybe that's why it's good for embossing))

Glycerin is also highly hygroscopic. This means that it easily absorbs water from the air. If you were to leave a bottle of pure glycerin in the open, it would absorb water from the air to eventually become 20% water and 80% glycerin. If you were to place a small amount of pure glycerin on your tongue it would cause blistering. This is because it is dehydrating, although when diluted with water, it softens the skin."

So it's in there to soften the rubber and keep it moist. It's actually good for your rubber. As for clear stamps, I assume that since photopolymer is a synthetic product and not a natural product like rubber, it could easily withstand a natural cleaner such as simple green with no issue, but that's a guess.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #82  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to find some at WalMart here but no luck. Glad I read all of the posts though to see that it can be bought at the Superstore in Canada. Guess I'll be stopping by on the way home from work...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #83  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
It is an actual fact that glycerine is ok for rubber. It is one of the ingredients in most stamp cleaners (including SUs) and it is probably one of the main ingredients in Versa Mark.

Glycerin is a component of animal fat. It is used in "craft" or pigment inks (have you seen the gloppy clear solutions coming from your craft pads?) and lots of lotions and soaps:

"Glycerin is a sweet tasting, colorless, thick liquid that has a high boiling point and freezes to a paste. Cold process soap makers use it because it is a humectant. This means that it attracts moisture to your skin. It is a natural by-product in the soap making process. Commercial manufacturers remove glycerin to be used in more expensive lotions and creams but an amount remains in every soap bar made.
Extra glycerin added to a soap bar produces a clear finish and extra moisturizing qualities. It is also a good solvent. Many things will dissolve into glycerin easier than they do into alcohol or water.((maybe that's why it's good for embossing))

Glycerin is also highly hygroscopic. This means that it easily absorbs water from the air. If you were to leave a bottle of pure glycerin in the open, it would absorb water from the air to eventually become 20% water and 80% glycerin. If you were to place a small amount of pure glycerin on your tongue it would cause blistering. This is because it is dehydrating, although when diluted with water, it softens the skin."

So it's in there to soften the rubber and keep it moist. It's actually good for your rubber. As for clear stamps, I assume that since photopolymer is a synthetic product and not a natural product like rubber, it could easily withstand a natural cleaner such as simple green with no issue, but that's a guess.
WOW! Lots of good info...I guess I better look for some glycerin while I get some SG...I will definitely use it for my rubber stamps.

Anyone else out there who can testify that SG is a good cleaner for acrylic stamps????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #84  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thanks for all the wonderful info. I will give this a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
Apparently there is a lemon scented Simple Green now.. I wonder how that smells?

Kimberly

Like lemons?????????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #87  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
Like lemons?????????
If I was drinking when I read this, my screen would of been VERY WET!! Hilarious!!!!! Thanks for making me laugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #88  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheilaKylesView Post
If I was drinking when I read this, my screen would of been VERY WET!! Hilarious!!!!! Thanks for making me laugh
Love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #89  
Matboard Maniac

This is great info. Just the other day I went out and bought a little bottle of cleaner for $5.99, the stuff works great but I tend to try and use as little as I can because of the cost. I am going to try and find some of this in my area. TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #90  
Mad Swapper

ok, Dh wanted to go grocery shopping last night so I made sure to buy some SG...I have been using Staz-on cleaner on all of my stamps so will have to see how this works. Now all I have to get is the glycerin to condition.

Would it be ok to put the diluted solution in a spray bottle (like an empty hair spray bottle)? And do you spray it directly onto the stamp or spray on the stampin' scrub? I guess I will be doing some experimentation today.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #91  
Glitter Queen

Where do you find glycerin in the drugstore? Last night I went to Walgreens and they sent me to the Laxatives section...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #92  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Use of Simple Green as stamp cleaner

I have used the dilute solution as my never fail stamp cleaner for 10 years. I tried stamp cleaner on the mkt and got tired of the MESS some cleaners left. I put the diluted solution in a spray bottle- give the stamp a good squirt- scrub with a brush and rinse under the faucet. Stamps are placed rubber down on a towel to dry. My stamps are clean, intact (no rubber separation) and no evidence of rubber deterioration at all. ADDED BENEFIT' saved mucho dollars on all the so called good cleaners that turned out to be very ineffective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #93  
Embossing Fanatic

Default A mans view of Simple green-

I really needed this post about simple green. What a cool thing getting all my grungy stamps clean! But my partner says to not use simple green to clean my stamps, says it's made from alcohol and detergents than he told me all about how tires are lots thicker than rubber stamps and contain lots of graphite (that's before I started to yawn..)
We know alcohol dries out stamps (re: non alcohol baby wipes) so I would be careful and rub a tiny bit of glycerin to your stamps sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

subscribing

Thanks for the info!

GeryB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #95  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by munzieView Post
I really needed this post about simple green. What a cool thing getting all my grungy stamps clean! But my partner says to not use simple green to clean my stamps, says it's made from alcohol and detergents than he told me all about how tires are lots thicker than rubber stamps and contain lots of graphite (that's before I started to yawn..)
We know alcohol dries out stamps (re: non alcohol baby wipes) so I would be careful and rub a tiny bit of glycerin to your stamps sometimes.
Very interesting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #96  
Kookie Creator

I've been using Simple Green as my main stamp cleaner for rubber and clear stamps for about 3 years. I use a 1:3 dilution with a few drops of glycerin. I don't have any problems of drying out stamps from my cleaning solution. When a stamp is really tough to clean off, I use the full strength solution and soak the rubber for a while in it. I always use a toothbrush to scrub the stamps and run them under water. My $3 bottle of Simple Green is still half full. I have no intention of paying for expensive stamp cleaners again.
I had gotten the Stazon cleaner before, but the dabber top fell apart within a week of use, although most of the cleaner is still in the bottle, and it didn't clean the stamps as well as SG does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #97  
Rubber Obsessor

whenever i have bought it in the spray bottle, it has already been diluted.. it will be a lighter color green.. we then just have the gallon to refill it..

i actually have two sprays bottles.. one of the diluted, and one for it straight..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM   #98  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use Ultra-Clean and Staz-on and always figured that the oily residue was to condition the stamps, so it has never bothered me.
I am however running out to buy some SG!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #99  
Insane Embellisher

I have seen this at the Dollar General. I even want to say I saw it at Dollar Tree. I need to purchase another bottle.

http://www.queentomas.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #100  
PAPER SCAPER

I did a simple google search and found this site on Simple Green all purpose cleaner.
Alcohol will burn, as stated in section 5 Simple Green is non flammatory!
Alcohol will NOT freeze, as stated in section 9 Simple Green will freeze!

I know that Simple Green Max as stated here in the second paragraph - contains NO ammonia or alcohol but I think the pro series is pretty heavy duty for cleaning rubber stamps.

Also: I attached a photo of the bottle I bought with a spray attachment and it does say on the front label and side red sticker - concentrated, so make sure you read carefully.

When I did my google search (simple green and alcohol) this thread came up! We are educating the world!!! And soon all rubber stamp cleaners will go down in price or out of business! Buy stock in Simple Green products!!! :-D
Attached Thumbnails
Thank you, THANK you for whoever come up with Simple Green-simple-green.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #101  
Hardware Hotshot

After reading this I'm definitely getting some Simple Green...I'm all over it! Thanks for the input ladies...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #102  
Compulsive Stamper

Can I use the Simple Green mixture to clean acrylic stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #103  
Hardware Hotshot

Over four years after this thread was started, I found it :>)

I just took the little survey and printed out my $2 coupon!!!!!

I've been using SG on my area rugs now and it's wonderful. Will try on my Staz-on stamps also. Would be better than mineral spirits.

Wanda G

P.S. Notice there is another "Wanda" on board now so I'll have to start identifying myself differently :>)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #104  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love, love, LOVE Simple Green! I love the smell too...LOL. It is a better smell diluted, though. We use it to clean our basement in the spring - one side of the basement has a gravel/dirt floor (don't ask) that the concrete floor slopes down to and since SG is non-toxic I don't worry about it polluting the environment or harming our cat. I've been using the diluted solution to clean my stamps for ages. Hubby and I fight over the Simple Green, but I'm MUCH better about hiding mine than he is. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes