Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Sheltering Tree Problems Stamping

Hello all,

Long time lurker here, but I am having a major problem with my leaf stamp from the new Sheltering Tree set from Stampin Up!

Every time I stamp the leaves it leaves a big hole. I've tried using a brayer over my block with no results and the only time I can get the whole stamp to leave all the ink on my paper is if I flip it over and use the brayer on the paper with it on top of the stamp/block, which is really awkward.

I've attached some pictures of the problem. This is on scrap paper with SU Lost Lagoon ink.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution??? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I had the same problem. I called SU and they sent me a replacement right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 08:43 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I forgot to mention that I bought it from eBay! Do they ask for an order number or will they try to look at my account? Maybe I can say I got it for a gift...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

If you didn't buy it from SU you can't exchange it there - it has to be on an order number. I'd ask for your money back from the person you bought it from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 06:31 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Try stamping on a piercing matt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

If you have one, I'd try to use the MISTI (or a regular stamp positioner).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

My demo had a problem with hers, too - both the leaves and the trunk. Figured out it was a defective set and not user error when one of the other ladies at the 10-for-10 said she owned the set and had no problems with it.

We tried everything and we were finally able to get an acceptable image, but it involved a couple of folded paper towels on a piercing mat, and inking the stamp by holding the stamp pad and making sure to use the edges/corners of the pad to get into the low spot on the stamp, wiping off the edges of the block and then pressing all over the back of the block while stamping - while trying to make sure the stamp or cardstock didn't move. She's returning hers. I just hope the one I ordered doesn't have the same problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

With clear stamps, there is no foam cushion on them. Sometimes you need to compensate for the lack of foam by placing a foam cushion under your stamping surface especially for larger stamps. I use a piece of fun foam but you can use a mouse pad or even a magazine.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I think a mouse pad will be too firm. I bought a stamping mat a while back from Michael's, I think. It's about 1/4 inch thick and was so big I had to cut it down to manageable size. It is a bit firmer than fun foam and works very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladybugb919View Post
With clear stamps, there is no foam cushion on them. Sometimes you need to compensate for the lack of foam by placing a foam cushion under your stamping surface especially for larger stamps. I use a piece of fun foam but you can use a mouse pad or even a magazine.
But the set my demo had, the extra cushion didn't work. It only helped somewhat. When you took a really good look at the stamp, you could see that it had a depression in the area that wasn't stamping; and it wasn't just that it didn't stamp properly, it was a royal pain to get ink onto that part of the stamp. So some of these sets are defective.

Now, I don't have any problem with using the foam cushion to get a better image, but when my set comes, if I have any problems with it that the foam cushion doesn't fix, it's going back. SU! is really good about replacing defective items, and if I have to click my heels together 3 times and stand on my head to get a good image from a not-inexpensive stamp, it's going to cheese me off every time I try using it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a risk you take with eBay. Hopefully the eBay seller will make it right. Since the set is current, it could have easily been bought directly from SU online, and then you would have full recourse to get it corrected (as SU is very good about that).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:10 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I was able to solve this problem with a similar stamp by placing a piece of card stock between the stamp and the acrylic block in the problem area. I stamped my stamp on scrap paper, cut out the area that did not stamp and put that cut out on the back of the stamp (in the problem area) and then put the stamp onto the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecBcardsView Post
I was able to solve this problem with a similar stamp by placing a piece of card stock between the stamp and the acrylic block in the problem area. I stamped my stamp on scrap paper, cut out the area that did not stamp and put that cut out on the back of the stamp (in the problem area) and then put the stamp onto the block.
Oh, this worked really well for me! The part with the cardstock underneath actually made a better impression than the rest of the stamp, but this is a good work-around for me! Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm glad it worked for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jubilliView Post
Oh, this worked really well for me! The part with the cardstock underneath actually made a better impression than the rest of the stamp, but this is a good work-around for me! Thanks so much!

Wow, what a clever idea! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

If it were me, I would call SU and get it replaced. It is obviously defective. Who cares if you have an order number? This is a CURRENT product and they are well aware that there have been MANY issues with this set. People get product in many ways........ gifts, trades, etc. It is not your responsibility to explain where or how you got a stamp set. It is their set and they should replace defective product.
Don't even get me started on the blendabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
If it were me, I would call SU and get it replaced. It is obviously defective. Who cares if you have an order number? This is a CURRENT product and they are well aware that there have been MANY issues with this set. People get product in many ways........ gifts, trades, etc. It is not your responsibility to explain where or how you got a stamp set. It is their set and they should replace defective product.
Don't even get me started on the blendabilities.
I do NOT feel SU is responsible for replacing this set. She bought if off of E-Bay! If she wants a replacement or her money back she needs to contact the E-Bay seller! END OF STORY!

Last edited by Nawnee07; 03-24-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:01 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

I would be very disappointed if SU wouldn't replace it. Obviously, someone had to obtain it from SU. It could have not originated anywhere but from SU. I doubt it was somehow stolen from SU so it is not like SU was not compensated for the product. The set was new and unused - if it is defective, it is defective and still would be defective no matter how she obtained it. A manufacturer should stand behind their product.

I frequently buy SU sets (from SU) to give as gifts. In fact, I just did that with 3 sets last Christmas and another one I bought to give as a birthday gift. They came to almost half my Holiday order. I know when I receive a gift of any kind, I would not want to have to go back to the person who was so nice to give it to me and tell them it was defective - let alone ask them to go through the hassle of exchanging it for me. I would contact the manufacturer myself. Now that I know if I do buy a bad "gift" set from SU, the person I gave it to would be unable to obtain any help from SU, I will never buy another SU set to give as a gift.

Gina K is a stamp manufacturer and the only way to originally obtain a current new Gina K set is through Gina K. I know if I bought and gave a new set to someone as a gift that had a manufacturing defect and they contacted her, it would be replaced in a minute. I think or at least hope it is the same with the other direct manufactured stamping companies. The only stamp stamp company I know that might refuse to make good on a defective product is Paper Trey Ink. I never thought I would put SU in the same customer service category as Paper Trey.

Last edited by Skippet; 03-25-2015 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:12 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

The only people who think SU is not responsible for replacing a defective product THAT THEY SELL ORIGINALLY are current demonstrators. Obviously unhappy that the product was sold on Ebay.
Please let us know if SU will or will not replace that set. I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they would stand behind a product THAT ONLY THEY SOLD ORIGINALLY.
END OF STORY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Because current sets are not supposed to be sold on Ebay per SU and our demo agreement. It's dishonest. Plain and simple. I for one, care about being honest. I could care less if anyone buys from me or where they buy anything but this is a risk that's fun buying current merchandise from Ebay. SU's customer service is wonderful and they have fixed any and every issue I've ever had in 10 years or so as a customer then a demo.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #21  

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of time when SU replaces a product they do not require that you send back the defective one. The eBay seller could possibly have sold a set that had already been replaced by SU. In that case, SU is not at fault, but the eBay seller is. We don't know the history of this item, which is a chance you take when you buy from outside sources. Not everyone on eBay is an honest seller and all issues with things bought there need to be handled through there. It is easy to file a dispute through PayPal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Stampin" Up! Has wonderful customer service and has always gone above and beyond the normal to help their customers and yes, their Demos, but that is not the issue here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
The only people who think SU is not responsible for replacing a defective product THAT THEY SELL ORIGINALLY are current demonstrators. Obviously unhappy that the product was sold on Ebay.
Well, I am not a demo. So demos are not the "only" people who feel that way. I also feel the recourse is through the eBay seller. That is where the business transaction occurred and where money exchanged hands between buyer and seller. The eBay seller of course always has the option to have it replaced by SU if they bought it legitimately from them, or simply refund the money. If they won't take either action I would address via a PayPal claim if I was the buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Because current sets are not supposed to be sold on Ebay per SU and our demo agreement. It's dishonest. Plain and simple. I for one, care about being honest. I could care less if anyone buys from me or where they buy anything but this is a risk that's fun buying current merchandise from Ebay. SU's customer service is wonderful and they have fixed any and every issue I've ever had in 10 years or so as a customer then a demo.
Gosh, I didn't realize if I bought or was gifted a current SU set and decided I really wouldn't use it, didn't like it that or it just wasn't my style after all that I wasn't allowed to go ahead and sell it on e-Bay. I certainly wouldn't think I was being dishonest. I highly doubt SU would take it back simply because I changed my mind. And I certainly wouldn't give the set away since I now know SU wouldn't replace it if it were defective.

I can't ever recall signing any contract or agreement when placing an SU order to the effect I wasn't allowed to sell anything I ordered until it retired. I don't understand why I would be held to my demo's demo agreement and could not sell a current product on e-Bay. How does SU monitor this and what actions could they possibly take against a me as a giftee or a customer? Now I am beginning to re-think ever ordering from SU again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Not a SU person either but a big ebay buyer.

I'd go back to the ebay seller and point out you feel it is a mfg defect-they may be selling more than one. If you dont attack them as a seller they should be very willing to do a refund.

This is the chance a SELLER on ebay takes when they sell new product-which from what I read here, is a no-no anyway.

I appreciate the idea that a person may have no idea how the stamp was bought if given them as a gift and so may back up to the mfg. Sounds like SU has a mfg problem with this set, they are big kids-they know what's coming-a lot of returns. I dont know that I would be comfortable asking someone where they got a present for me. Depends on the person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Me again, I just remembered that a few years ago I placed a large enough order during Sale-a-bration that I qualified for every free sale-a-bration item offered and was eligible for 2 addition items. I told my demo to pick out a couple of the ones she wanted and keep them. She suggested that I go ahead and order all I was entitled to and that I could sell the duplicate items on e-Bay. I wonder why she would tell me that if she knew I wasn't allowed to sell current items via e-Bay. I will have to contact her to find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
Gosh, I didn't realize if I bought or was gifted a current SU set and decided I really wouldn't use it, didn't like it that or it just wasn't my style after all that I wasn't allowed to go ahead and sell it on e-Bay. I certainly wouldn't think I was being dishonest. I highly doubt SU would take it back simply because I changed my mind. And I certainly wouldn't give the set away since I now know SU wouldn't replace it if it were defective.

I can't ever recall signing any contract or agreement when placing an SU order to the effect I wasn't allowed to sell anything I ordered until it retired. I don't understand why I would be held to my demo's demo agreement and could not sell a current product on e-Bay. How does SU monitor this and what actions could they possibly take against a me as a giftee or a customer? Now I am beginning to re-think ever ordering from SU again.
Demos are not allowed to sell current products (as per our demo agreement). Customers do not have that restriction.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Demos are not allowed to sell current products (as per our demo agreement). Customers do not have that restriction.
Thank you for explaining. I didn't get that impression at all from what has been posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What you're describing is certainly allowed for a customer. SU would also certainly help someone who had received a gift that was defective. The problem with what appears to be the case with your ebay purchase is that the seller is selling MULTIPLE stamp sets that are current...obviously not just something they bought as a single purchase as a customer and then decided not to hold onto.
There are always dishonest people who skirt the system and one way is for a demo to sell to a customer at a discount who then takes the items and resells them on ebay for full price. Then demo makes money by having higher volume sales and the ebay seller through selling at a higher price than they paid.
This is also a risk for the ebay purchasers who have to handle their own issues with any defective products, etc because they don't have a demo to turn to. I've seen people paying more on ebay for current items than they would have directly from SU!
I would guess that if you called SU on your own to report a problem they would probably help you. However, unless you're willing to tell them that you purchased on ebay, you'd be being dishonest yourself (as in describing it as something someone gave you as a gift or whatever scenario you used instead of telling them you bought it on ebay).
Were I in your shoes, I would try the ebay seller first-since they have sold you a defective item. If they're selling multiples of this set, they can probably just replace it with another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #30  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22View Post
A lot of time when SU replaces a product they do not require that you send back the defective one. The eBay seller could possibly have sold a set that had already been replaced by SU. In that case, SU is not at fault, but the eBay seller is. We don't know the history of this item, which is a chance you take when you buy from outside sources. Not everyone on eBay is an honest seller and all issues with things bought there need to be handled through there. It is easy to file a dispute through PayPal.
I have had things replaced without having to send the defective one back, so this could easily be the case. WHY is everyone so upset at the idea of going back to the person who sold it on ebay? IF it is a legitimate purchase they can get it replaced, but I agree with Minders, too many are selling product against the demo agreement they have with SU! With the volume being sold, it isn't just an individual selling their cast-offs.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #31  

Quote:

No, no, no. I'm talking about demos here. We are not supposed to sell current merchandise on Ebay and WE sign an agreement when we start with SU. I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. But I still stand by my stance that even if this was purchased through a customer through Ebay SU should still not be held responsible, the Ebay seller should.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #32  

I'm sorry if my post was not clear. I was speaking as a demo as I am one.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecBcardsView Post
Genius!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got this set but haven't inked it yet. (And yes, I bought it directly from SU!). I better get to my craft cave and make sure it isn't defective! Yikes!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
What you're describing is certainly allowed for a customer. SU would also certainly help someone who had received a gift that was defective. The problem with what appears to be the case with your ebay purchase is that the seller is selling MULTIPLE stamp sets that are current...obviously not just something they bought as a single purchase as a customer and then decided not to hold onto.
There are always dishonest people who skirt the system and one way is for a demo to sell to a customer at a discount who then takes the items and resells them on ebay for full price. Then demo makes money by having higher volume sales and the ebay seller through selling at a higher price than they paid.
This is also a risk for the ebay purchasers who have to handle their own issues with any defective products, etc because they don't have a demo to turn to. I've seen people paying more on ebay for current items than they would have directly from SU!
I would guess that if you called SU on your own to report a problem they would probably help you. However, unless you're willing to tell them that you purchased on ebay, you'd be being dishonest yourself (as in describing it as something someone gave you as a gift or whatever scenario you used instead of telling them you bought it on ebay).
Were I in your shoes, I would try the ebay seller first-since they have sold you a defective item. If they're selling multiples of this set, they can probably just replace it with another.
Thank you for the explanation, Gail. I must apologize to the original poster as I seem to have hi-jacked her thread. I am not the one who ordered this set on e-Bay, though I have often bought new sets there. It is just that since I frequently order new sets from my demo specifically to give as gifts, when it was posted by a demo that SU would not accept responsibility for a new defective set without an order number, it scared me. I would not want to give a set to someone since they might not want to tell me if there was something wrong with it. Knowing that they would get hassled or might not get any help directly from SU if it happened that it was a defective set seemed to be wrong and not very good customer service. I have easily solved any chance of this being an issue as I will just no longer order any SU sets to give as gifts. I'm not sure my demo will be very happy with my solution, but I suspect that she will understand when I explain why.

Again I apologize to the OP for taking over her thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Again I apologize to the OP for taking over her thread.
It's no problem! I brought it on myself by suggesting that I was going to tell SU that I got it as a gift instead of telling the truth to them. I had no idea that this would spawn so much *drama*! lol.

Any way, the cardstock under the stamp in the problem area is a great solution for anyone having this problem. I also bought a rubber stamp mat made of foam at Joann's and it made the stamp work without the cardstock.

So I will be keeping the stamp set, since I brought it upon myself by buying it from another source besides SU.

Last edited by jubilli; 03-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Adding more info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

It is just that since I frequently order new sets from my demo specifically to give as gifts, when it was posted by a demo that SU would not accept responsibility for a new defective set without an order number, it scared me. I would not want to give a set to someone since they might not want to tell me if there was something wrong with it. Knowing that they would get hassled or might not get any help directly from SU if it happened that it was a defective set seemed to be wrong and not very good customer service. I have easily solved any chance of this being an issue as I will just no longer order any SU sets to give as gifts. I'm not sure my demo will be very happy with my solution, but I suspect that she will understand when I explain why.
Speaking as a demo, if a customer/friend bought something to give as a gift to give to someone else, I would include my business card if I placed the order, or make sure they knew they could pass along my contact info. To me, it's good customer service - maybe the gift recipient loves the stamp set and wants ink refills or matching paper that result in extra sales. Or maybe the stamp set is defective and they need a replacement. I view it as my "job" as a demo to help be the go-between for customers with SU if there's a problem. Although SU has great customer service, I wouldn't want a gift recipient to be put on hold or have to explain the situation, when I'm more comfortable doing that and it's part of my commission.

I encourage you to continue to give the SU stuff you love to your friends, and just make sure they can connect to your demo if there's any issues. Her/his feelings won't be hurt, I swear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Back on topic, I love this set. I haven't gotten it yet, but I have found 3 kerjillion pinterest ideas I want to copy once I get it.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...shelteringtree
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Back on topic, I love this set. I haven't gotten it yet, but I have found 3 kerjillion pinterest ideas I want to copy once I get it.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...shelteringtree
3 kerjillion .... is that more than eleventy-billion? lol

I love your "3 kerjillion!"
Reply With Quote Likes