Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default SU Inks/Papers

Question: In the past I've used CTMH papers/inks but am interested in switching over to SU. If I buy the same colored ink/paper - can I do tone on tone stamping that way? Or do I need to buy the clear ink (can't think of the name of it) that you use for embossing?

Do you have a preference between CTMH or SU inks/papers? If so, why? I used to like CTMH because of the white core (great for sanding/distressing) but when I quit stamping a few years ago (getting back into it now) they had switched to only 12x12 which isn't ideal for stamping/cardmaking.

Thanks,
Jane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I could be wrong, but I think most card makers prefer Stampin' Up and most scrapbookers are CTMH fans. That could also explain CTMH switching over to 12x12 only.

From 2008 to 2012 CTMH was my company of choice. I'm a scrapbooker first, card maker second. I loved CTMH's beautiful coordinated 12x12 paper packs. I took a three year craft break and, so far, I've not been tempted to buy a single item from CTMH. Part of the reason is the cost and my limited resources. Part of it is that I have already have way too much pretty paper. And partly because I prefer rubber stamps to polymer stamps.

The embossing ink you were referring to is VersaMark. I can't speak to the tone on tone stamping. I'm sure someone will come through with your answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 03:09 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I haven't used CTMH papers for a while but didn't care for the white core.

Yes, you can definitely do tone on tone with the coordinating inks/paper. However, if you don't want to buy every color of ink, VersaMark is a great way to go.

Have fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Yes, tone on tone works great with SU. If you don't have a lot of SU inks yet, you might do well to start with a versamark pad so you can use it on every color of card stock for that effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Yes, tone on tone works great with SU. If you don't have a lot of SU inks yet, you might do well to start with a versamark pad so you can use it on every color of card stock for that effect.
Exactly what I would have said! I will add this: Versamark creates a softer tone on tone, the matching ink creates a slightly darker tone on tone.

TBS, I would go with Versamark until you decide which colours you absolutely love and want to use more; like stamping the sentiment in colour on white cardstock for example.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 05:21 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

SU cardstock is a bit heavier than CTMH cardstock, if that makes a difference to you. CTMH inks were developed specifically for photopolymer stamps, so they work really well, while SU ink was developed for rubber. They may have tweaked the formula since they started offering photpolymer stamps themselves, and I've used SU inks with my CTMH stamps with excellent results.

As a side note, I didn't know that CTMH ever offered cardstock/paper in anything besides 12" x 12". I was a consultant for them back in 2003-2004, and that was all that was available then, too... SU's cardstock comes 8 1/2" x 11", but most of the paper packs are 12" x 12".

It may come down to which color palette you prefer, and if you prefer white core or color all the way through...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2015, 08:12 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Default Thanks and more questions

Do you have to heat set the Versamark? Or just use it like any other ink? This might be a good option and then I'd just want to buy papers for now.

Am considering becoming a consultant just for the discount for inks/papers...anyone else do this? Is there a downside?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

You do NOT have to heat set the VM ink.

There's no downside to signing up. Sue (gregzgurl) will confirm this as she's done it a few times, most recently with me. ;-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Linda's right - I jump in when Stampin'Up! is having a good sign-on special, get what I want, stay as active as I can and/or want to be, then fade away...repeat....repeat....repeat... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Linda's right - I jump in when Stampin'Up! is having a good sign-on special, get what I want, stay as active as I can and/or want to be, then fade away...repeat....repeat....repeat... ;)
Same here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not a demo for either company and haven't been in the past, so as a consumer I buy from all over the place. I much prefer CTMH patterned papers. I just think they're so much prettier than SU stuff, but the SU cardstock is heavier and, in my opinion, better for card bases (the coloured stuff - not the old whisper white (which I hated) - but I hear they have a new heavier whisper white which I haven't tried)). Either brand cardstock is good for layers, however, you won't need a crane for your card made with CTMH cardstock. I haven't tried CTMH inks in a long time and have a lot of SU inks but never use them just because I mostly colour my images with copics so I use Memento inks. So, for what its worth, that's my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Maybe this is a stupid question...but why does SU only have the patterned paper in the 12x12 size? I was hoping to switch to 8 1/2 x 11 and keep it all in a filing cabinet drawer. When I look at their catalog all I see is 12x12 for the patterned papers though. :( Or am I missing the 8 1/2 x 11 size somewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopersmaView Post
Do you have to heat set the Versamark? Or just use it like any other ink? This might be a good option and then I'd just want to buy papers for now.

Am considering becoming a consultant just for the discount for inks/papers...anyone else do this? Is there a downside?

Thanks
The other thing you can do with Versamark is to emboss. You can stamp your image with Versamark, then sprinkle any colour of embossing powder on top. Tap off any excess powder back into the bottle. it has to be heat set however.

If you are deciding to go with Versamark for now, you may want a couple of neutral inks for sentiments-black and brown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Maybe this is a stupid question...but why does SU only have the patterned paper in the 12x12 size? I was hoping to switch to 8 1/2 x 11 and keep it all in a filing cabinet drawer. When I look at their catalog all I see is 12x12 for the patterned papers though. :( Or am I missing the 8 1/2 x 11 size somewhere?
Not a stupid question at all! Someone else can maybe speak more to this but I suspect it's because of scrapbookers, I think any store of any brand sells primarily 12 x 12 patterned paper. Once in awhile they do come out with 6 x 6 pads of assorted prints too. They are handy for cardmakers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I think, the second reason (aside from the scrapbookers) is the envelope punch board, as you need square paper for it.
Reply With Quote Likes