Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU "hobby" consultants

SU has a great deal for signing up right now, although if I did so, it would be strictly for myself and not to build a business. Pluses and minuses of this from those who have done it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I originally signed up for the discount because it helped keep me on a crafting budget. I stuck to my quarterly minimums, even bunching them into just 2 orders a year so I could maximize the discounts and Stampin' Rewards.

Because I make paper craft a lot, I never found it hard to find things to buy or to use up what I did buy. I send, donate, and sell many cards.

Another plus to sign up now is all the free things you get - the deal now is incredible! There is also no penalty for dropping, so there is nothing to lose. I stuck around, though, because I love being with other stampers and having this bond. I love being with others who are as excited about stamping and Stampin' Up! as I am. I love the energy and fun. But, like I said, if you sign up to get all the great stuff and then drop a few months later, there is no harm done and no one will get on your case about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I already posted this on another thread, but since you asked, I'll say it again:

I have been a "demo" for Stampin'Up! multiple times. Why did I put that in quotes? Because what it translates to is: SU! is having one of their fabulous "sign up" offers where you get a lot of product for not a lot of $$. I then get whatever I "need" until I fail to meet the minimums for a couple of quarters (because I am my only customer) and let them drop me as a demo. I've probably done this three or four times over the years. I knew (and the demo I was signing up under knew) that it was a short-term commitment, at best. I had ZERO illusions on my ability to build a customer base (ditto on the desire to do so), and there's only so much I'm willing to spend myself, so it was inevitable. I'm much happier having a demo that I throw an order at every rare once in a while because I "need" something. I try to make it worth the shipping, at least...

My overall thought is to go in with clear expectations. With prices rising and incentives and rewards getting smaller, it may be harder to build a business than in years past. This is especially true because there are SO MANY companies out there and many stampers/crafters are opting for lower-priced options that they are content with. If you plan to just buy for yourself for a time, it's probably worth it. I apparently thought so several times, lol! As Nicole pointed out, and has been my experience, if you drop off the SU! radar after a quarter or two, no harm no foul...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-03-2020 at 01:27 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Same as Sue...to a "T". I think I've dropped 4 or 5 times...sometimes for just several months. I rejoin when I find too many things I really want, and would like to have the discount. My upline understands me all too well!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 02:32 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I joined a few times as well over the years. The last time I did this was a few years ago when I needed a restock on several colors of card stock. I already wasn't using their stamps much so only got 2 stamp sets but got all the card stock I needed and more. And haven't ordered anything since then. It's a great deal for sure as you don't have to pay the shipping you usually would.

The only downside to this would be that you'd keep ordering things just to stay active, although you'd normally not place that order. I did that the first time I signed up many years ago. I was my own best costumer. But have no regrets as I didn't do it for a long time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 02:49 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

There is nothing negative about joining and dropping multiple times, buying just what you want. However, you never know what will happen. You may sign up with someone who has a good group going and get inspired to expand your reach. I joined in 2000 to do it as a business, which was great until about 2007. Life happens and I decided, after a good cry, to just buy for myself. It has worked out all these years but now I am to the point that almost all hobby demos reach -- I have enough stuff and my wish list is not enough to get me through the next quarter. I want to hang on until I hit my 20 years in Sept and attend one more event in Nov. We'll see.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
annebellissimo (09-20-2023)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I was an active demo for many years and switched over to hobbyist about 3 years ago. The only thing I can add to what has been shared above is to just be aware that the same marketing created for customers is appied to the demos. In other words, the company will "sell" to you as much as it does to regular customers. For some, this can make it difficult to stick to a budget because they feel pressured to do more or keep going. Just something to be aware of...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

In June I will have been a hobby demo for 10 years. I now have a half a basement craft room filled with mostly Stampin’ Up supplies. I have over 100 colors of card stock. It’s very pretty in rainbow order by the way. I don’t know if I would have been drawn into card making if it hadn’t been for my up line Laura. I’m my only customer and I don’t think SU has lost money on me. Go for it. You just might find a community you like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question, more out of curiosity than anything. When one signs up with SU, do you choose ‘hobby’ or ‘active’? Or is it just that you know yourself, you know you won’t be selling much to anyone else or trying to recruit a down line?

I think of my own demo, she has tried really hard through the years to build a customer base, a couple people have signed up under her and then dropped out. It has been discouraging for her. I am a loyal customer although have certainly cut back in recent years, there just isn’t much I want/need. And I am to the point where if she decided to quit being a demo, I could manage well enough without anyone to order through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

You just sign up and then how you go about building your business (or not) is what determines the classification you fall into...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 04:00 PM   #11  

You don't register with or notify Stampin' Up! or your team leader what kind of demonstrator you plan to be. Everyone signs up the same way and, like Sue said, you are free from that point on to make Stampin' Up! whatever you want it to be. I was a business demo from 2005-2009, then was my own customer/hobby demo for the next 10 years because I wanted to focus 100% on raising my daughters. Now I am back to being a business demo. I have loved every.single.stage. No regrets whatsoever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2020, 04:10 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay thank you! It just got me curious and now I know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

For those that have signed up, don’t you have to declare as a business for IRS purposes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

One day, long ago, I looked in my closet and saw I had about 75 packs of envelopes and dropped as a demonstrator. I felt like I had amassed enough and would just buy as a customer. That lasted about eight months. I signed up again and have been a hobby since 2006. I do overbuy sometimes and I sometimes buy products that I never use. I do consider that a negative and have made a solemn vow to just buy smarter going forward. I'm not sure I have it in me to be a business demo but may give it a go this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I finally caved and signed up last SAB but only as a hobby demo, (so just for myself). There was a lot I wanted at that time and I have not had a problem meeting my quota so far, and plan to order enough for my March 30 deadline this year, but I will see after that. I have to say it has been great getting the 20% off of everything when I ordered this past year. It has been a positive experience for me. Really the only minus was getting rid of all the extra catalogues they send you and business forms etc. Basically thrifted the cattys and put the business forms in recycling.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwiresmomView Post
For those that have signed up, don’t you have to declare as a business for IRS purposes?

No, you don't have to declare anything with the IRS. If you were going to make your SU! business an LLC, you would have forms to file to declare that, but as an independent contractor you just file a Schedule C with your personal return. You also may have to pay estimated taxes throughout the year on your business income.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I was a hobby demo for a couple of years. I sold to a few friends the odd time, but gave it up. I was buying stuff to stay active, I am reconsidering this SAB offer though, I need paper, and there are some bundles in the new mini I want, probably enough to stay active one quarter then would give it up. I would sign up under my demo with the knowledge it would be very shortlived!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I signed up in 2016 when I retired but only ever wanted to be a hobbyist. Now I feel like I have enough stamps and paper to keep my going for a very long time. I am so happy to read all your comments. It makes me feel more comfortable about dropping out of SU this year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Hobby Demo & like it!

I've been a Hobby Demo for about a year. I like the community, freebies and discounts and will have no qualms about dropping out when the time comes or re-signing if there is more stuff I need.

Those are the pros.

I do buy more than I need because the products are high quality, creative and coordinate with each other.

There are other styles (fairy/Goth-Lavinia), humorous (Topflight Stamps) etc. that I probably don't try because I'm trying to make my minimum. That could be good or bad. I'd say give it a shot and don't be afraid to drop when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread. I was considering re-signing up with SU the other day.
SU was my entrance down the deep twisted rabbit hole of paper crafting. I became a demonstrator back in the 90's and the experience was short lived. I ordered mostly for myself since my friends were already demonstrators. If I were to sign up again I have no intention of doing demos.
On the other hand, I have the tools I need, I get great deals at Tuesday Morning on paper crafting tools and supplies, I shop Joann's and Michael's with coupons... I have plenty of ink pads, rubber stamps, embellishments... I basically use white, black and kraft cs for cardbases, so with that being said, I can go on creating without getting on SU band wagon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgwiresmomView Post
If you are "selling" only to yourself, it is a discount rather than an income when you make purchases. So, the answer is no on declaring it a business.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
There is nothing negative about joining and dropping multiple times, buying just what you want. However, you never know what will happen. You may sign up with someone who has a good group going and get inspired to expand your reach. I joined in 2000 to do it as a business, which was great until about 2007. Life happens and I decided, after a good cry, to just buy for myself. It has worked out all these years but now I am to the point that almost all hobby demos reach -- I have enough stuff and my wish list is not enough to get me through the next quarter. I want to hang on until I hit my 20 years in Sept and attend one more event in Nov. We'll see.
Mary Beth
Mary Beth! Twenty years! Wow, that is an achievement! I signed up as a demo the same time as you, back in 2000. I think the SAB sign on special that year was a family of inks, and I had to have it. Lol! I told myself the minute it wasn’t fun anymore, I’d stop. And for me, I think that happened around ten years later. Hang in there! I think you deserve a medal...or maybe a cruise for that commitment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking into signing back up, so I could get the new color families. Do you automatically get the 20% discount when ordering from yourself, or do you have to achieve your quarterly minimum before the discount kicks in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by duranfanView Post
I was looking into signing back up, so I could get the new color families. Do you automatically get the 20% discount when ordering from yourself, or do you have to achieve your quarterly minimum before the discount kicks in?

You automatically get the 20% discount. Plus, your quarterly minimums are calculated based on the retail/catalog price, not your discounted amount. That is, if you order exactly $300, your 20% discount reduces it to $240 but the full $300 is counted towards your minimum.

Your automatic discount also goes up to 25% if you have orders (whether your own or from others) of $1800 within a 12 month period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK good to know! I may take advantage of the sale a bration deal.
Reply With Quote Likes