Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
They had the photopolymer sets at the SU! regional seminar in Calgary yesterday and used it on stage. It appeared to work quite well with the new ink pads.
Okay, I have the stampin spots in all the color families. I have the full sized pads in all of the neutral colors.

So....does this mean the new photopolymer stamps will NOT WORK WELL with the stampin spots I have??? I've been meaning to replace my full sized basic black pad because there were rumors earlier in the fall that the basic black did not stamp well with the whisper white or very vanilla CS. Still don't know if they worked that issue out (was it the WW or VV paper or was it the ink that was the problem???).

If my stampin spots don't work well with the new clear stamps, I won't waste my money....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post
Okay, I have the stampin spots in all the color families. I have the full sized pads in all of the neutral colors.

So....does this mean the new photopolymer stamps will NOT WORK WELL with the stampin spots I have??? I've been meaning to replace my full sized basic black pad because there were rumors earlier in the fall that the basic black did not stamp well with the whisper white or very vanilla CS. Still don't know if they worked that issue out (was it the WW or VV paper or was it the ink that was the problem???).

If my stampin spots don't work well with the new clear stamps, I won't waste my money....
I don't know.
I didn't have spots or 'old' ink pads to try them on. I'm sure we'll hear from demos who have them expedited. If not, once mine arrive, I'll let you know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 AM   #43  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalStamper63View Post

I was never able to get good coverage using SU ink and any clear stamp. Since I was buying more and more clear I decided to go with a different brand of ink. I hope the new formulated SU ink is better but I have never tried it.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only saw one clear stamp set on their website. Will they carry more?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensPaperView Post
I only saw one clear stamp set on their website. Will they carry more?
We don't know. This is only a trial basis with this one set. They may release more at some point.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #46  

I ordered this set Friday as I was placing an order anyway. Alas I did not expedite but will arrive Wednesday...I first balked at the idea but now I am totally excited to try after reading all the threads about it. Believe it or not I have never owned an alphabet stamp set. Was never worth the money to me. Since I wanted to try the pp stamps and then I fell in love with the samples online for this set I jumped in fast! So glad so many like the plus clear sets. Since I own all the new ink pads this should be an easy transition for me. I buy cling mount only for space and cost. I have gotten used to the swapping of images with blocks etc so no biggie to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipperc98View Post
Since I wanted to try the pp stamps and then I fell in love with the samples online for this set I jumped in fast! So glad so many like the plus clear sets.
What are pp stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #48  

Photopolymer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh duh! Thanks Amy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #50  
Crimping Master

I am ecstatic! For those that question whether or not photopolymer stamp will work with the old style SU pads, the card I posted on my blog uses all SU ink with clear, photopolymer stamps from Avery Elle. SU ink works wonderfully with old and the new style ink pads. Here is a link if you want to check it out:

So Many Stamps, So Little Time...: Simply Wonderful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I just talked with Su demonstrator support and was told they will carry "all 3 products".
In my opinion If you love the polymer stamps order them as available so they will continue to offer MORE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #52  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonieView Post
I am ecstatic! For those that question whether or not photopolymer stamp will work with the old style SU pads, the card I posted on my blog uses all SU ink with clear, photopolymer stamps from Avery Elle. SU ink works wonderfully with old and the new style ink pads. Here is a link if you want to check it out...
Hi Ronie!

Pretty please, would you post your sample in the SCS gallery and link that for us? We'd love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

Bev, I sure will! Infact, probably 75% of all my cards use SU ink, and clear stamps. I'll post a handful. =0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

I prefer rubber but unmounted or cling. Definitely not clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it. Most of my non-SU stamps are photopolymer. It is great for storage (you should see how packed I can get a single Jetmax cube!) and lightweight for taking along to crops. They stick well, are flexible to bend the design or sentiment, and allow perfect placement.

But I also love rubber. Most of my SU stamps are clear-mount (red rubber on foam). I prefer CM over wood for consistent storage abilities and taking up less room in my crop bag or craft room. I played around with some SU CM sentiment stamps and that GORGEOUS Swallowtail stamp from the Spring mini this weekend, and got nice crisp stamping with the new inks. I haven't gotten my SU photopolymer set yet, but I am sure it will be high quality like other clear stamps I have, and I hope they can continue.

SU is smart to offer more options so that everyone is happy. I'd be surprised if they offered every set in wood, CM, photopolymer, and digital, as they don't now...but I hope they continue to offer options in both rubber and clear or just carry some fun clear options to go along with the full catalog - kind of like the stamps made just for the single stamp promotions that aren't featured in the catalog but are still super cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 AM   #56  
Glitter Queen

Great news!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

I'm sticking with rubber. Even my 35 year old rubber stamps look like new. My eight year old clear stamps from CTMH are all turning yellow and sticky or even gooey, and starting to decompose. That's a pretty poor investment. My grandkids will still be using all my beautiful rubber stamps, long after the clear ones are gone. If SU goes polymer, I'll retire and enjoy my roomful of rubber. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by harpyView Post
I'm sticking with rubber. Even my 35 year old rubber stamps look like new. My eight year old clear stamps from CTMH are all turning yellow and sticky or even gooey, and starting to decompose. That's a pretty poor investment. My grandkids will still be using all my beautiful rubber stamps, long after the clear ones are gone. If SU goes polymer, I'll retire and enjoy my roomful of rubber. :-)
The thread title is a bit deceiving. SU isn't "going" clear, they're going to offer clear/photopolymer stamps *in addition to rubber.* They're adding clear stamps to their line-up, not taking rubber away.

To which I say, "WHEW!" because I much prefer rubber! I have some clear stamps because I really wanted a particular image I couldn't find in rubber, but rubber is my first choice.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 03-06-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #59  
Inking Addict

I'm not crazy about clear stamps either. I want to give SU! the benefit of the doubt that they will come up with something superior to the industry, but even in the sample on their webpage, the speech balloon isn't crisp. It has a jagged edge. So I'm doubting they achieved superiority. I'm kinda bummed b/c I think the masses prefer clear so it will be wildly successful and the rubber will phase out. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Good thought

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I wonder if they will be manufacturing the stamps themselves, or if they'll be going through another reputable company. Most of the better stamp companies in the US get their clear stamps manufactured by Stewart Superior (based out of La Porte, Indiana).
, I just hate the "Made in China" on anything. Keep it in the USA please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Sometimes the method of storage or cleaning can lead to decomposition. Not saying that's your problem, but I have had problems storing acrylic/pp stamps on certain surfaces. Some CD cases can be a problem if the stamps are stuck right to the case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #62  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

JMHO, I think it's a wise business decision to add in photopolymer. There are some stampers who truly prefer higher quality clear stamps, and now, many of them will probably buy some new ones from SU.

At the same time, it seems that it would be a very bad business decision for SU to totally revamp their manufacturing facility to eliminate rubber stamps from their product offerings. I just don't see anyone with so many successful years in this industry to make such a complete shift. My bet is that we'll all be happy to be able to find our favorites, whether it be rubber or clear for a very long time to come. ;)

My 2 cents. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #63  
lbl
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I didn't think that dye inks worked well with the clear stamps. Wonder if these are different somehow so that they will work with them.
I have found that chalk inks (like Studio G) work the best with clear stamps. I use Versafine for black ink and that works great with clear stamps. I also use Stazon when I want to color an image and I want to be sure it won't bleed. I had read that using Stazon with clear stamps was a bad idea but I tried it anyway. So far, no problem. I clean the stamp right away using a baby wipe. Then I swish it in water with a drop of dish soap and then in clear water. I don't use Stazon cleaner as I have read that it is really bad for clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm all for different strokes for different folks, but since I'm a wood mounter rubber gal (love the feel in my hand and the always-ready-without-mounting-first qualities), I sure hope SU continues to offer wood mounted rubber!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I wonder if they will be manufacturing the stamps themselves, or if they'll be going through another reputable company. Most of the better stamp companies in the US get their clear stamps manufactured by Stewart Superior (based out of La Porte, Indiana).
Just so they are "Made in America" I'll be happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

I could never get a clear image using my SU spots and clear stamps.

I think it would be great if SU started offering more sets in clear. I like a lot of their sets, but have no room at all to store wood mounted sets, so I've only got a few and the rest of my collection are now clear.

I sorta wish they had come up with a different set/design to use as a trial. IMO, clear alphabets are a nightmare to work with. Yes it's easy to line them up because you can see, but they're so small, and it can be a little time consuming if you only do one letter at a time. Lining them up on a block in a full word, and keeping them straight, isn't always easy either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you aren't already using them, there are blocks that have lines vertically and horizontally to help you align images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

I do have lined blocks, but the alphas...they're small, and have a stick to them, and I just find them difficult to work with. I have a lot of clear stamps, and I don't have problems, just with the alphabets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

For alphabet stamps, I've given up trying to line them up on the block. I just stamp one letter at a time. But it's still THAT MUCH EASIER for me if the stamps are clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by devildogView Post
I do have lined blocks, but the alphas...they're small, and have a stick to them, and I just find them difficult to work with. I have a lot of clear stamps, and I don't have problems, just with the alphabets.
I agree. The only clear set I had was an alphabet. Thought it would be so cool to write any sentiment I wanted and make it straight, curvy or spiraled. It became a tedious task that I did poorly, so I gave them away. Would rather have my stamps mounted and ready to go and hand-write any sentiment I don't have or that doesn't fit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #71  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have a ton of CTMH stamp sets from when I was a consultant back when they switched. My stamps have not yellowed, nor are they sticky or gooey.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #72  
Crimping Master

For those of you who are not able to get good images with clear stamps, try a piece of fun foam under your stamping area. It will really make a difference.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Not sure I'm convinced yet. The samples shown on the blog don't look crisp to me and there is a portion of the arrow used on today's sample that is missing some spots of ink. Also, on all samples so far, lining up the alphabets perfectly straight seems to be a problem. It might to bother others but It drives me crazy when words are not straight. I will still consider clear but will wait and see what else crops up. If they come out with a set I feel I must have I may give it a try. I think I have definitely ruled out any alphabets though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Once again "clear" is being misconstrued. There are two types of "clear" stamps, acrylic and photopolymer. Photopolymer is far superior and a different ballgame all together due to its' chemical composition. Photopolymer is not the same as the "clear" from years past. Those were "clear" ACRYLIC which will decompose with age. I can distinctively feel the difference between my clear acrylics and clear photopolymer and also by how crisp, precise and detailed they stamp. So they stain; so does rubber and that has never effected my stamped image. Photopolymer will not decompose; they will last longer than 35 year old rubber stamps.

I certainly wouldn't retire if SU goes photopolymer. It's new and suspect to buyer's right now like any new product to a specific retail industry like stamping. But you may be missing out on a great deal of sales in the future once everyone experiences its' great qualities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #75  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe this will clarify some things;

Our clear stamp manufacturing service provides the latest technology in non-yellowing photopolymer!

How can I tell the good from the bad? Since there are clear stamps on the market that are substandard quality- it’s just good business to understand the difference. Here are a few tips on what to watch out for:
1. They don’t adhere well to the clear blocks. Put the stamp on the block and tap the block on the table, if the stamp falls off they are low quality.
2. Examine the depth of the etching (depth of the stamp image). On low quality clear stamps it’s much too shallow. Good quality clear stamps will be deeply etched similar to regular rubber stamps.
3. Stamps are too soft & gooey or too hard. Making premium quality clear stamps is not easy. It takes a lot of expertise. Due to the success of Superior Clear - many imitators have appeared. Many also use photopolymer. However, Superior ClearTM stamps are made with a proprietary photopolymer that is exclusive to Superior ClearTM. It is engineered to simulate the qualities of rubber. It has a hardness (durometer) equal to rubber and therefore handles ink - just like rubber for stamping crisp, clean images.
4. Photopolymer VS. Silicone
Imitators are now molding clear stamps using silicone or other plastics to simulate the appearance of photopolymer. The stamps are even individually formed to look like photopolymer. Silicone clear stamps are usually imported and are VERY inexpensive to manufacture. If the stamps are extremely difficult to remove from the clear backing - chances are they are silicone and not photopolymer. If you see imported, non- photopolymer stamp sets selling for prices similar to photopolymer - then you are paying way too much!
Why is photopolymer better? Photopolymer is designed and engineered for ink transfer - meaning that ink transfer is the primary function of photopolymer. The same cannot be said for vinyl, silicone and other plastics. A photopolymer stamp is basically 2nd generation from the digital art. Molded stamps are generally 4th or 5th generation from the digital art. Less steps between the digital art and the finished stamps means higher resolution. Photopolymer also provides a more durable, longer lasting stamp die. The super fast turnaround, higher quality and low minimums make US made photopolymer clear stamps the obvious choice for the demanding needs of the craft consumer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #76  
Kookie Creator

I agree with Devildog, I wish the first set had been something other than an alpha set. I really like clear stamps and feel the need to support SU so they will offer more, but I am not excited about the alpha. To me, a few cute images would have been more exciting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Glad for these explanations although I doubt very much I will ever purchase any more clear stamps of any kind. I, too, had trouble with the CTMH clear stamps I had and finally gave away. They would not stay on the CTMH block I bought to go with them. Oh well, all is good in my rubber stamping room now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathlyn47View Post
If the stamps are extremely difficult to remove from the clear backing - chances are they are silicone and not photopolymer. .
Thank you for that post! Once I saw this part about being difficult to remove I realized that those are the kind I have used :( I swear, they seem like they are going to rip if I pull any harder to get them off the plastic sheet and they are just horrible. Aside from those awful stretchy sticky ones, I have 2 CTMH sets that I have used only once or twice because I just can't get them to look crisp to me. With the post from Kathlyn47 and others I have seen about pressing too hard have made me perhaps rethink the whole clear stamp thing. I don't need an alphabet set but maybe if SU makes a different one and it is priced well, I will give them a shot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM   #79  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink SU and Clear Stamps

I can tell you that as a former CTMH rep, and a stamper for over 20 yrs now, there are differences in clear stamps based on materials and etching. I have many stamps sets from CTMH since their conversion. I personally love them but love the mountable version of SU stamps as well. They are more convenient for storage and easier to position. I am an equal opportunity stamper - I buy from everybody. I think there will always be a forum for both rubber and clear. I can remember when CTMH went clear, Shelly said then SU would never go to clear. I do not believe SU will ever go completely clear as CTMH. I think she has made a wise business decision and is smart to offer a clear selection. You have to move where the demand moves. Just as SU did when they started offering digi opportunities or diecuts and big shots. She has many people to answer to as in reps, business partners, and family obligations to ensure that SU is a leader in not only revenue returns but staying forefront in the industry.

Last edited by TeresaLynn; 03-08-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #80  
Embossing Fanatic

Also, I have well over 70 sets of CTMH stamps. Never have I had a set not cling UNLESS my blocks are dirty. I wash mine with soap and water and let them air dry. Also, to get a good image, I temper my new sets when I first stamp with them by stamping first with versa or by sanding LIGHTLY with a fine, soft sanding block or emery board (smoother type). This removes any additives that might have stayed in production. Also, I have stamped with all of my clears with all types of ink, spots, chalk, SU, CTMH - you name it. I do not like to stamp with metallic inks with my clears as the metallic ink does not clean off as well. So in those instances, I emboss instead if I want a metallic look to a project. Hope this helps - I am not trying to convert anyone to CTMH, clear or any other format - its just that like religions there is room at the table for all ( in my opinion)
Reply With Quote Likes