Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #121  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really liking the new color choices, never did the bold brights, and the ones that they are keeping go well with the rest of the colors.

I am having a hard time understanding why stampers who have brought things they love are upset with SU. You can still use them and have 2 1/2 months to stock up on any thing you need to replenish. I think that if SU had not made an announcement and just changed the colors with the new catty, then we could be upset.

I saw a post above with More Mustard as retiring, it is still in the Regals family group. If you have questions please contact a demo and not just rely of these posts.

Even as a Demo I will continue to keep and use all the colors I love. I haven't bought most of them just to complete a family lol. But I can only demo the current colors and will probably only buy the ones I love.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nursemccrafty1View Post
I was completely blind-sided by this and in utter shock! So I posted on the SU board...Can we please rethink this and put it to an all-demo vote. OMG---I was hit hard by rude and mean people telling me there will be NO "vote" and this is a business not a democracy! They posted to quit being negative and get over it that I have a bad attitude. Wow, I was HURT! So harsh, so rude and cruel. I have, like many others have invested a boat load of money into inks, craft/classic/spots/markers/crayons/pencils/pastels and paper 8.5 x 11, 12 x 12, textured, and DSP over the years and this is a HUGE DELETION ALL AT ONCE. I do love the new colors, but my entire arsenal is built on the old. I don't call this whining, as I was accused of doing....I call this going through the stages of the grieving process. Be Real---this is a huge bite all at one time. But, the meanness just made me sad and so very hurt that the sharks came out in droves to beat the new colors in to me until I bleed them out. so much for the SU sisterhood :(
Just catching up and I'm so sorry that you were treated so meanly!! I USED to be a demo and with the last change (the signing of the demo agreement) decided not to continue again. And sadly, a teeny, tiny part of that decision came from the the zealots who refuse to even acknowledge that there are some "demos" who do not eat, breathe and dream SU. The world goes round with different opinions and thoughts. Trying to force everyone to think like one just makes the axix tip to one side and stop moving (IMHO)

I hope you are feeling a bit better this morning
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #123  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm in the UK and a tad miffed 'cos I've only just bought the whole set of markers, that's typical!

I'll miss a couple of the retiring colours and would like to be able to buy a few re-inkers. But here in the UK we aren't able to purchase re-inkers or markers individually, only in colour family groups of 12. So I'm not really happy with that situation.

However, I am delighted that the UK will finally be getting In Colours! We will be getting lots of new colours at once and that will be exciting.

I was worried not to see Kraft in the neutrals as that's one of my faves. As I understand it Crumb Cake is the new name for Kraft, am I right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #124  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

However, I am delighted that the UK will finally be getting In Colours! We will be getting lots of new colours at once and that will be exciting.

I was worried not to see Kraft in the neutrals as that's one of my faves. As I understand it Crumb Cake is the new name for Kraft, am I right?[/QUOTE]

You will LOVE the in colors, it's so fun to have new stuff!

And yes, you are correct, crumb cake is nothing but kraft with a new name, one that fits with SU's alliteration theme!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #125  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollyfanView Post
I am lost... what do you mean re: 10 In-Colors in groups of 5? So like 5 will start in 2010 and go for 2 years, then 5 more in 2011 for 2 years, so only one set is retiring at a time?

Or do you mean there are the Subtles, Brights, Regals, Neutrals, In Colour A and In Colour B all July 1, 2010?

Why do the In Colours in 2 groups of 5? Why not 1 group of 10? Somehow it seems more confusing the way you are describing.

I could just be tired and on info overload. LOL.
You got it the first time!
In Colors will be around for 2 years, but we will get new colours every year.

ETA: Oops ... I see Deb answered your question first! Need to read before answering!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #126  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post
PTI seems to be the "hot" manufacturer now. It seems easy to think "I'll just switch." And believe me, I see the appeal of their great products judging from the avid following they have built just since August of 2009. But in 5 years what will they carry? How about 20, like SU? Really, if any vendor carries the same stuff in 20 years, how dated would that be?
I know this is a SU thread, but I just wanted to clear something up. When reading this comment, it sounds like you are saying PTI has been in business since August 2009. They actually have been in business since February 2007, as this past February was their 3 year anniversary. They started releasing their own colors in Feb 2008. Including white, cream, and black, they have 25 colors to date. They have matching paper, ink, buttons, and ribbon(5 or 6 styles each!!) for ALL of their colors. They just started releasing matching felt this past February. They continue to release a new color every 2 months. Actually, they have 2 very pretty purples and 4 pinks, if anyone is interested in those colors!
I switched over to their stamps quite some time ago, as SU just does not fit my style anymore. SU was great when I was a beginner, but I prefer PTI's style now. I bought into their colors with the first release. I prefer to get matching ribbon for ALL of my colors. I never understood why SU only carried ribbon in SOME colors. So for me, it will be easy to switch to PTI only.
I feel very sad for my SU demo. She bought into the In Colors each year, and sold them off at the end of each year since she was told they were retired. Now she will need to buy all of those colors again. Especially in this economy, she simply cannot afford to buy new ink pads to replace the very same ones she just sold 8 months ago. I don't care about the color renovation for me, but it is going to be really hard on her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #127  
Stampin' Fool

I am very confused by the annoyance with Stampin' Up on this thread. I am not a demonstrator. I do love Stampin' Up. I own ALL the colors and ink going back beyond the last big color revamp. I also love Paper Trey and own ALL the colors and ink. Yes, I'm addicted.

The simple reason that everybody is loving Paper Trey colors right now is that they are new and fresh. They are the colors we are seeing in clothes and dinnerware and sheets and Vera Bradley purses. They look wonderful to us. (And...although I have seen comments that PTI won't retire colors, they will have to keep up-to-date too. And..they did just update ink, very frustrating for those of us that owned the old type.)

Stampin' Up HAS to revamp every so often. Many of their colors have been around a long time and seem out-of-date. (When is the last time you have seen a card with Glorious Green - my personal least favorite color?)

PLUS - if you have kept up with in-colors - you have all but five of their new color palette. That's not so bad to have to update. If you love some of their old colors, buy lots. But, I always stock up on retired in-colors that I like and my stash is still sitting there - we all move on in the colors that appeal to us and even in-colors seem old after we have moved on.)

I am very much looking forward to seeing the new rainbow of colors!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #128  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted on one of the announcement threads concerning this matter, but I'm going to post a bit of what I wrote there.

My problem with the amount of colors they're retiring is that although they may not be trendy, many are standard school colors, especially the Bold Brights. All my kids' school colors are being retired, as well as those of my nieces' and nephews'. Some of those colors are readily available in a heavy cardstock elsewhere, but not all of them. A good, heavy 12x12 cardstock in some of those colors is especially difficult to get except from SU and now they won't even be available from SU. I do a lot of school color projects for the teachers, PTA teacher appreciation, etc. Now, SU will be losing what little I still purchased from them because the colors I need will be gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #129  

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I posted on one of the announcement threads concerning this matter, but I'm going to post a bit of what I wrote there.

My problem with the amount of colors they're retiring is that although they may not be trendy, many are standard school colors, especially the Bold Brights. All my kids' school colors are being retired, as well as those of my neices' and nephews'. Some of those colors are readily available in a heavy cardstock elsewhere, but not all of them. A good, heavy 12x12 cardstock in some of those colors is especially difficult to get except from SU and now they won't even be available from SU. I do a lot of school color projects for the teachers, PTA teacher appreciation, etc. Now, SU will be losing what little I still purchased from them because the colors I need will be gone.
I'm sorry all your colors are being retired! It really stinks when you lose the ones you love! I am going to miss a few as well. SU did not do this to be mean:-) although I'm sure it feels like it. They did not come to this decision lightly, they have been doing market research and what not for a few years now.

The majority of SU customers have been asking for some color changes. They have looked closely at sales and unfortunately the colors you love using were some of their worst sellers. They feel it would be better to weed out the low sellers and replace them with more popular colors. Then they don't have as much inventory sitting in the warehouse so they can stock even MORE awesome accessories and stamps!

Maybe you can stock up on the cardstock and reinkers that you will need. Just because it's gone doesn't mean you cant use is, of course if you run out that will be sad but you can still use it. Unfortunately change is inevitable:-/ Good luck finding replacement colors! And seriously, think about stocking up!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:43 AM   #130  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

My problem with the amount of colors they're retiring is that although they may not be trendy, many are standard school colors, especially the Bold Brights. All my kids' school colors are being retired, as well as those of my nieces' and nephews'. Some of those colors are readily available in a heavy cardstock elsewhere, but not all of them. A good, heavy 12x12 cardstock in some of those colors is especially difficult to get except from SU and now they won't even be available from SU. I do a lot of school color projects for the teachers, PTA teacher appreciation, etc. Now, SU will be losing what little I still purchased from them because the colors I need will be gone.
I thought of that same issue since both of my kids are in the middle high school now. However I am only losing one color. I still have quite a bit of it since it isn't a color that I use alot. But being from a small town, and alot of the teachers know I am a demo, never once has anyone asked to me order special colors for any of the local school and I have been a demo for 5 years now. I can't speak for all demos, but there has been no interest and there are alot of the teachers who are in my club and stamping group/friends, so it isn't as if they have no contact with me. I think it is different for different areas though. While I wish there weren't so many colors leaving there are only around 10 that I will miss and will make sure I get a pack to tide me over, but I am excited that they are refreshing the colors and getting a bit more with the trends. Alot of people complain that SU is out of the loop, behind all the trends and what they are doing is so yesterday...But when they make a change then it is considered horrible...can't have it both way folks....doesn't work that way. Could they have kept more ot the colors? Maybe, but considering we haven't even seen the new colors in person, I will wait to see how they fill in for the colors we are losing, and I think they will fill in nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #131  

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
Alot of people complain that SU is out of the loop, behind all the trends and what they are doing is so yesterday...But when they make a change then it is considered horrible...can't have it both way folks....doesn't work that way. Could they have kept more ot the colors? Maybe, but considering we haven't even seen the new colors in person, I will wait to see how they fill in for the colors we are losing, and I think they will fill in nicely.
Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too right?

I think there are more people who are excited than those who are upset and I'm glad...i wasn't sure it would be like that. I do feel for those who are sad but it was really time for a change.

I made a few charts with actual cardstock today and let me tell you in REAL LIFE the colors are great...even with the few that are still missing from my stash (luckily I have all the in colors except for river rock...and I had PACKS and packs of wasabi so that will save me some money haha). They are very appealing in real life so don't give to too easily stampers!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #132  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
And seriously, think about stocking up!
One can only stock up so much due to finance and storage issues. Unfortunately blue for my kids' school is the same blue from elementary school through high school and is one of the blue's SU is getting rid of and is difficult to find elsewhere in a heavy 12x12. SU was one of the few places you could rely on to get some of the bolder school colors in a heavy, solid core cardstock. This was an issue when they made their poor decision to do away with a lot of the single packs of 12x12 cardstock, only to finally bring them back. Now, many of what they brought back are leaving permanently. Not good for school colors for long term scrapbooking or projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #133  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate that they are getting rid of creamy caramel, close to cocoa and sage shadow. I'm not excited about the new colors being added.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #134  

Quote:

One can only stock up so much due to finance and storage issues. Unfortunately blue for my kids' school is the same blue from elementary school through high school and is one of the blue's SU is getting rid of and is difficult to find elsewhere in a heavy 12x12. SU was one of the few places you could rely on to get some of the bolder school colors in a heavy, solid core cardstock. This was an issue when they made their poor decision to do away with a lot of the single packs of 12x12 cardstock, only to finally bring them back. Now, many of what they brought back are leaving permanently. Not good for school colors for long term scrapbooking or projects.
I understand, I was just tyring to look at the glass half full, be helpful. You must scrap a LOT! I always have good intentions...doesn't get me very far!

Again, this is just a suggestions, trying to problem solve...do you have/could you get MDS, the digital scrapbook program? None of the colors (and it includes them ALL) are supposed to retire from it. If you don't have it, it's TOTALLY fun and you can make some amazing scrap pages (and even use your "real supplies" to make hybrid pages). It's a bit of a cost up front but you'd have all the colors and it really is fun to use. You don't have to add any more downloads if you don't want to! You can print through SU or any other place you'd like. Sound like a possibility????

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #135  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I am glad to see I don't need to hoard Wild Wasabi any more! That is my favorite green!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #136  
Matboard Maniac

Default SU colors

I like all of the new colors and especially glad to see Pink Pirouette and River Rock on the list. That said, I just got almost all the cardstock colors and now many of them are going to be gone.
I wish they had changed a little more gradually, like ten or so colors at a time so we had more time to adjust and have enough money to buy what we still want.

When will we find out about the In Colors? I hope that there are some purples in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #137  
Stazon Splitcoast

so I woke up this morning.....relooked at the new color pallette......

OK....it IS kinda pretty......but I wish they would have kept apricot in w/ the pales...

***happily waving good-bye to yo-yo yuk***

But I will go to my grave clutching my hunter green, ruby red, and groovy guava ink pads!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #138  
Stazon Splitcoast

THIS IS FUNNY!!!!

So I'm trying to explain to DH the color changes and he just stood there.....looked at me with a STRAIGHT face and said ...."This is SCANDLOUS!! We need to call somebody!! It MUST be illegal.....where are they located....we need to call the District Attourney of that state!!!"

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #139  
Inky OceanGazer

I just heard about these changes.......and agree that change is good....HOWEVER....I think it would be more 'customer friendly' and acceptable if they had announced it 6 months ago. Then some of these people could have held up on their ink/paper purchases and would not feel so betrayed by the company. Not everyone can invest huge dollars....and they do their collecting bit by bit....and now they feel betrayed because the colors they JUST received will now be retired. Their hard earned money could have been saved to buy the new colors which will be in stock and available for a long time.

As one who was on the Customer Survey Panel, I think that would have gone a long way to making the customers more comfortable with the change. Now some feel hoodwinked as they JUST completed their ink sets and they are already out of date.

I am sure SU will survive and flourish after these changes, but a longer notice would have helped it become more acceptable to their customers.

And....on a personal note.......picture me frowning.......where is the Cool Caribbean????
Inky Ocean Gazer (my original blog I can no longer get into)
The Inky Ocean Gazer 2 (my new simple blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Six months ago may not have been possible but I bet there would be fewer hard feelings if they'd announced the change prior to Sale-a-bration. I'm sure a lot of people wait until SAB to stock up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #141  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just say down with my cardstock assortment and realized there are so many colors that I do not use and it was so easy to take them out of the mix and bag them up along with the unused pad and reinker for the garage sale this weekend. I don't well with change myself but after a rethink I am sure I will survive this huge change.

On the otherhand I do realize why some who have invested so much lately would be ripped. We all try and save up to spend at saleabration to get the freebies and this is the way most do it. So that is unfair and will make quite a few angry. But like it has been said the paper is still useable as well as a pad and reinker for a long time. If you like the color use it, if you don't, sell it at the next LSS garage sale.

I still have 3 packages of buckaroo blue and sky and now that there are so many blues retired I am going to reach for these ones now.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #142  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

I am excited about the changes! Sad to see some of the colors go, but I can still use them myself! I started SU to pay for my habit that I have grown to love so much. Change is hard, but where are all the girls that posted about wanting some of the In Colors to stay over the years?!!! Guess what! We are getting alot of them back! I for one kept the ones I bought because I liked them and now I get to move them back over to my "current" color caddy and move some others to my "retired" color caddy! It's all good for me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #143  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
THIS IS FUNNY!!!!

So I'm trying to explain to DH the color changes and he just stood there.....looked at me with a STRAIGHT face and said ...."This is SCANDLOUS!! We need to call somebody!! It MUST be illegal.....where are they located....we need to call the District Attourney of that state!!!"

Shirley, I think your husband has it right! How funny! I'm excited about the changes. I've thought for a while now that many SU's colors are outdated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #144  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Untrapped SoulView Post
Well, I am glad to see I don't need to hoard Wild Wasabi any more! That is my favorite green!
I JUST used it to make a card...I found 4 packs yesterday hahaha! Unfortunately my DF has my camera so I can't post pics today. I have GOT to remember to get it back!

I like wasabi too but I'm really shocked kiwi kiss didn't make it, people raved over it! Maybe it was too close to old olive?

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
This is in the "it figgers" catagory for me. At SAB I finished my collection of all color families. Ink, paper, reinkers, markers. grrrrrrr.
Tell me about it. I just got all the reinkers. Haven't even open the boxes. :rolleyes:

While I'm excited to see the new colors... I still like the old ones and will probably keep them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #146  
Compulsive Stamper

Which of their NEW COLORS is the FLESH toned????
ALSO..I was sent copies of colored lists of the new and retired email me at :
yesipray at gmail dot com
and I will forward them on to you...as long as I don't get on your spam list and forward this and that list....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #147  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojotView Post
I just heard about these changes.......and agree that change is good....HOWEVER....I think it would be more 'customer friendly' and acceptable if they had announced it 6 months ago. Then some of these people could have held up on their ink/paper purchases and would not feel so betrayed by the company. Not everyone can invest huge dollars....and they do their collecting bit by bit....and now they feel betrayed because the colors they JUST received will now be retired. Their hard earned money could have been saved to buy the new colors which will be in stock and available for a long time.

As one who was on the Customer Survey Panel, I think that would have gone a long way to making the customers more comfortable with the change. Now some feel hoodwinked as they JUST completed their ink sets and they are already out of date.

I am sure SU will survive and flourish after these changes, but a longer notice would have helped it become more acceptable to their customers.

And....on a personal note.......picture me frowning.......where is the Cool Caribbean????
I doubt they were ready 6 mos ago. We probably found out now because the had finally finalized (is that redundant?, haha) everything. Business always have their reasons for when they do or don't announce things. They are a business after-all...I think we forget that sometimes:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #148  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

THIS IS FUNNY!!!!

LOLOL! I love when hubby's play along. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesiprayView Post
Which of their NEW COLORS is the FLESH toned????
ALSO..I was sent copies of colored lists of the new and retired email me at :
yesipray at gmail dot com
and I will forward them on to you...as long as I don't get on your spam list and forward this and that list....
Sent you an email. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #150  
Glitter Guru

They will be keeping the Blush Blossom marker in the catalog as an individual marker to purchase just for this reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #151  
Die Cut Diva

At first I was shocked about the color change but after seeing the new color collection chart I started thinking this isn’t so bad. I am sure that SU did their research and the colors that are retiring are probably those that the stock didn’t move much (although there are a couple that I am shocked made the “cut” list). Bottom line, SU needed to update (as someone mentioned earlier, do you still have your avocado-green kitchen). I already have the “main” colors that are staying; some of the in-colors that are returning; am looking forward to the new colors in the combinations; and very excited and curious as to what the new in-colors that are going to be coming out in July. The best thing I’ve heard about the in-colors is that they will be around for 2 year instead of 1 year with a new set of 5 being introduced each year.

Since I am not a demonstrator, I use all types of papers/cardstock but am mainly a SU ink pad person (because that is what a I bought first). I use a lot of Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Bazzil and Close To My Heart papers/cardstock in my scrapbooking and have found that all my SU inks are compatible with other company’s papers. Heck, I even throw in some Tim Holtz ink. So, am I going to boycott SU or throw away their products? No. I plan on buying some reinkers for those few colors I really love and maybe a couple of paper packs. And if I need a color that SU doesn’t offer, I have other places/choices to go look and buy that color from.

My biggest frustration is my OCD … yes, I will have to reorganize everything according to the new color combination groups.

Please, don’t hate your demonstrators or think that they didn’t tell you about this coming so they could earn a commission. They found out about the same time we the customers did (as soon as it was announced my demo called me). Talk to your demo about their commission. It isn’t as big as you think. Remember, they pay for everything they demo with: paper, adhesive (all types), ribbon, ink, order forms, invites, mini-catalogs, etc. Ask them about their “pay” when someone pays with a credit card!

Finally, let’s not say hateful things to others if they want to express their opinions. Perfect example is “nursemccrafty1”. She in no way deserved hateful comments … we are all going to have our opinions … we will agree with some and not with others … but at least be respectful other others opinions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #152  
Glitter Guru

Trust me, as a hobby SU demo, 2 days ago I was not too happy because I am probably 1 in 20 people who actually likes most of the Bold Brights colors! LOL And now, all but 2 are gone? WHA???? And I agree about the school colors. Brilliant Blue is our school color...mine from way back in the day and now my sons. Actually, everyone I know and would scrapbook goes to my school and I totally hate losing the Brilliant Blue. I will buy another pack or 2 of the 12x12 and call it a day. I only have 1 child, a boy, so the BB color family was my go-to family to use for cards and scrapbooking. It seems like alot of the colors I liked are going to be gone. But I will continue to use them and enjoy them until they are all gone. Then I will move on.

This change will be positive, overall, I believe. Its a hard one to swallow for sure. I do feel bad for those who completed families and everything over SaleABration. I can join you on that one. I just bought the WaterColor Wonder Crayons and finished out the brads, which are now obsolete for using on "current product only" SU projects. But I still love those colors and wont write them off just yet, so I will keep them and happily use them.

Financially, we cannot afford to stock up on everything we think we may need. But, stock up on some school colors or colors you cant live without, even a package will help and then in a while, the realization that we cant get that exact color wont be so hard. I bet we wont even miss it all that much. Reinkers can go pretty far to reinking a pad and a package of paper or 2 will last quite a while, especially if you cut in half to scrapbook and use another color you can readily get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 AM   #153  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRStamperView Post
At first I was shocked about the color change but after seeing the new color collection chart I started thinking this isn’t so bad. I am sure that SU did their research and the colors that are retiring are probably those that the stock didn’t move much (although there are a couple that I am shocked made the “cut” list). Bottom line, SU needed to update (as someone mentioned earlier, do you still have your avocado-green kitchen). I already have the “main” colors that are staying; some of the in-colors that are returning; am looking forward to the new colors in the combinations; and very excited and curious as to what the new in-colors that are going to be coming out in July. The best thing I’ve heard about the in-colors is that they will be around for 2 year instead of 1 year with a new set of 5 being introduced each year.

Since I am not a demonstrator, I use all types of papers/cardstock but am mainly a SU ink pad person (because that is what a I bought first). I use a lot of Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Bazzil and Close To My Heart papers/cardstock in my scrapbooking and have found that all my SU inks are compatible with other company’s papers. Heck, I even throw in some Tim Holtz ink. So, am I going to boycott SU or throw away their products? No. I plan on buying some reinkers for those few colors I really love and maybe a couple of paper packs. And if I need a color that SU doesn’t offer, I have other places/choices to go look and buy that color from.

My biggest frustration is my OCD … yes, I will have to reorganize everything according to the new color combination groups.

Please, don’t hate your demonstrators or think that they didn’t tell you about this coming so they could earn a commission. They found out about the same time we the customers did (as soon as it was announced my demo called me). Talk to your demo about their commission. It isn’t as big as you think. Remember, they pay for everything they demo with: paper, adhesive (all types), ribbon, ink, order forms, invites, mini-catalogs, etc. Ask them about their “pay” when someone pays with a credit card!

Finally, let’s not say hateful things to others if they want to express their opinions. Perfect example is “nursemccrafty1”. She in no way deserved hateful comments … we are all going to have our opinions … we will agree with some and not with others … but at least be respectful other others opinions.
Great post and thank you for writing it!! As demos, it is our "job" to reassure customers that the change will be good. Sometimes, when we are shocked too and dont have any time to process the change, its hard. But the truth is, people have been complaing about SU not being "up with the trends, etc" and they are honestly trying. This was 2 years in the making, focus groups, order analysis and many many things went into this. Its not a rash decision. And we didnt know until 2 days ago what was going on. Actually, yesterday was the official announcement! And hindsight is 20/20 but if they had told everyone 3 months ago, people would have still been ticked and said "we should haven known 6 months ago!" and if they had told us 6 months ago people would have wanted to know 1 year ago. Its hard to make the decision of when to make an announcement.

Last edited by kspiv; 04-07-2010 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #154  
Glitter Guru

Well, this gets me excited about stamping again -- wooohooo SU!!!
I haven't stamped much in the last 10 months and I've been itching to get more stamping done instead of just placing SU orders. :rolleyes: Both of my girls got married less than a year apart and I was just done in after doing all the wedding stuff including making all the announcements and thank-you's.

I love the new color line-up! I love that past In Colors are coming back and being placed into the color families. And after looking over the retiring colors since the announcement, I'm not that sad about seeing most of them go. It has me excited to stamp and create and place those SU orders!! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #155  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojotView Post

I guess I am confused about why this is a problem. You can still use and enjoy the products. I would assume that people are buying paper and ink because they like them and want to use them, they can still do that. The retiring paper and ink won't self destruct on July 1st. (LOL!) Also, if you just bought something and now you don't want it, it can be returned. I guess I just don't understand the problem unless you are a demo. Demos lose things every year with the retiring stamps and products some years are worse then others. That's the reality of being a demo, we have to keep current with product and sometimes we lose a much beloved item (for demoing purposes) It doesn't mean we have to get rid of it though, we can still use and enjoy for personal projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #156  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly HView Post
Good point - I am LOVING the bordering blue, too. Great for ocean/beach/water sorts of cards.
I just discovered Bordering Blue last month. I guess my demo hadn't ever used it, as I didn't realize what a great blue it is. I'll be ordering 3 or 4 packs and when they are gone I'll be on to other colors. It will take me a long time to use those four packs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #157  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just signed my first downline in 6 years in business and she just completed getting all her colors, ugh! I'm sending her a note to let her know.

Interestingly enough I had the same thing happen to me when I signed. I bought all the inks, papers, pens, refills etc.. and then they revamped the colors in 2004.

Other than being upset for my downline I'm thrilled they're revamping their colors. I'm also pleased that some of my favorite In Colors are coming back but will miss True Thyme and Kiwi Kiss. YoYo Yellow, Glorious Green and Cameo Coral are going away! Yah! lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #158  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I'm exciting about some of my favorite in-colors coming back - Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, River Rock to name a few. I am going to go thru all my stuff and pull the retiring stuff. I think change and updating the colors is a good thing. Most of the retiring colors I haven't touched since I quit being a demo last year. I think that just goes to show that the SU colors did need updating. I find it exciting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #159  
Chat Box Chick

I've been teetering on the edge about getting rid of all of my SU ink pads. This just sealed the deal. I'm done with having to replace ink colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #160  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

so I woke up this morning.....relooked at the new color pallette......

OK....it IS kinda pretty......but I wish they would have kept apricot in w/ the pales...

***happily waving good-bye to yo-yo yuk***

But I will go to my grave clutching my hunter green, ruby red, and groovy guava ink pads!! LOL
What up girlie! I sooo love "Yo-Yo Yuck"! It will be one of my most missed colors. Hopefully there will be a nice bright yellow in the new colors.... Oh and you can have my stash of Apricot Appeal!!
Reply With Quote Likes