Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #41  
clean and krafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
neither of those, AJ....

there's another thread that has a link to the retired list and the new groups, it's "what's the SU! announcement" thread.
oh well!!
k- off to look! thanks!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

At first, I was shocked at the change, but there are some great new colors for all of us to play with!

Of course, No One HAS to buy the new stuff, kwim?? A while back, I purchased a Wii game for my hubby. Sure enough, a newer, better, fancier version came out just as we barely opened the package. Guess what...we still use the "old" version because it works fine, and we could not justify spending more money at that time.

Any company that updates products has to do it sometime. There will be customers who purchase items just before the upgrade is available. Bummer, yes...but it is inevitable.

For me, I am glad that I stocked up on pink pirouette, baja breeze and pacific point! I will probably stock up on my favorite out-going colors for personal projects, just like I did in '05. I love color, color, color...so new options will be oh-so fun for me!!

And the SCS Color Challenge on Tuesdays this summer will be fantastic!! WooHoo!!
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, all I had to hear was that Baja Breeze was coming back and I'm still dancing for joy. I'll be stocking up on Mellow Moss, Sage Shadow, and Barely Banana, though! The new colors look pretty good so I'm sure I'll need those too!

I have all of the SU colors and will use them until someone pries them out of my cold dead hands. I'm not a demo any more and "retired" means nothing to me! I use what I like.

GRINNING ear to ear that Baja is coming back. Whooo Hoooo!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #44  
Mad Swapper

A change in colours is good....I was beginning to get tired after all these years of the same old.
I have found many of the ribbon etc. go well with other inks, papers.
I'm thinking of this as a 'spring' house cleaning!!!
:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #45  
Mad Swapper

Dumb question....where's the "what's the SU! announcement" thread.
I can't find it!! :O( Senior moment here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly HView Post
You know, all I had to hear was that Baja Breeze was coming back and I'm still dancing for joy. I'll be stocking up on Mellow Moss, Sage Shadow, and Barely Banana, though! The new colors look pretty good so I'm sure I'll need those too!

I have all of the SU colors and will use them until someone pries them out of my cold dead hands. I'm not a demo any more and "retired" means nothing to me! I use what I like.

GRINNING ear to ear that Baja is coming back. Whooo Hoooo!!
I KNEW you would be happy about that!! And your beloved River Rock too! Guess now, as a demo, I will be buying it! You win! LOL!!

I will stock up on moss, sage, and pale plum, oh and bordering blue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
I KNEW you would be happy about that!! And your beloved River Rock too! Guess now, as a demo, I will be buying it! You win! LOL!!

I will stock up on moss, sage, and pale plum, oh and bordering blue
Good point - I am LOVING the bordering blue, too. Great for ocean/beach/water sorts of cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As frustrated as I am at this moment, I do like to hear all the positive thoughts on this.........RATS RATS......can I just add one more....RATS!! Keep the happy comments coming and maaaaaaaaybe I'll change my mind!! For now.....frustrated!!

Yes, in the business sense, I see your point. From the point of my TEEENY TINY stamping budget......CRAP!! Yes, my stuff will still work, but once my paper runs out, then what?? CRAP!! Stock up on paper?? I don't have that kind of money......:(

**trying to think good thoughts....trying to keep an open mind.....***
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #49  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
You can sugar coat it all that you want, but I am not happy. I have had the complete set for about 2 weeks. Not happy. will not be happy. for a long time. I am done buying SU inks.
I would be irked if I was you, too. Not knowing when the announcement was made, as I don't follow SU! anymore, if your demo knew this when you ordered the complete set, but didn't give you the courtesy of letting you know....well, that speaks volumes to me, that the commission meant more than a customer relationship.

Not sure what your options are, I would certainly entertain the thought of talking to your demonstrator to see how to best make you a happy customer again, whether returning them if you are able to or what is available for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
As frustrated as I am at this moment, I do like to hear all the positive thoughts on this.........RATS RATS......can I just add one more....RATS!! Keep the happy comments coming and maaaaaaaaybe I'll change my mind!! For now.....frustrated!!

Yes, in the business sense, I see your point. From the point of my TEEENY TINY stamping budget......CRAP!! Yes, my stuff will still work, but once my paper runs out, then what?? CRAP!! Stock up on paper?? I don't have that kind of money......:(

Well, I can understand people being frustrated too. I'm SOOO happy to see some of those bold brights going to the color graveyard and my two favorite colors ever Baja Breeze and Pink Pirouette coming back! I can live with picking up a pack or two of those that are retiring - a pack of paper lasts a really long time if you just do card fronts and attach them to white cardstock. You can say RATS again if you want! =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I would be irked if I was you, too. Not knowing when the announcement was made, as I don't follow SU! anymore, if your demo knew this when you ordered the complete set, but didn't give you the courtesy of letting you know....well, that speaks volumes to me, that the commission meant more than a customer relationship.

Not sure what your options are, I would certainly entertain the thought of talking to your demonstrator to see how to best make you a happy customer again, whether returning them if you are able to or what is available for you.
We did not know until today. I had a NEW customer order all of the markers plus 2 color families of ink pads at the end of SAB. I will be chatting w/ her tonight,I hope
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
We did not know until today. I had a NEW customer order all of the markers plus 2 color families of ink pads at the end of SAB. I will be chatting w/ her tonight,I hope
I talked to her earlier today - she hasn't unpacked anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #53  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Demos found out about this last night, with full details at noon today. So ... her demo would not have known.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #54  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post

Do you like coloring images? Do you have re-inkers? The way I see it, I will do a little bit of stocking up...but I have to be careful because most of my shopping has to be for demo-worthy stuff like my club.

However, on cards to my family, I will still use bordering blue to sponge or even brayer in my sky behind a tree or house image. I may run out of bordering blue card stock, but it still looks great w/ always artichoke and so saffron. My pale plum will always work when I color Embrace Life flowers, and I will be able to layer it on elegant eggplant card stock

If you really like a color that is retiring, buy a re-inker or two. The coloring options are endless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Don't forget SU! will allow you to exchange unopened merchandise within 90 days of purchase. You do have to pay to send it back to SU! but they cover the shipping of the new merchandise back to you.

As a customer this is really an AWESOME time to love the retiring colors. Just think how flooded the BST will be with retiring inks and paper from demos! Heck SU! may even mark down the retiring stuff to help quickly clear out warehouse space. Watch that Clearance Rack on su.com after 1 July and I bet there will be scads of stuff for cheap.

Just because it's retiring doesn't mean it's expiring. You can refill an inkpad a TON of times from the reinkers. Of course you would have to stock up on paper but again lots of demos will probably sell off their excess to help fund the new color purchases (I know I plan to do just that).

When other companies stop selling something is there a desire to throw it away? Of course I must have unpopular tastes because I swear every time I find a bra or shirt or jeans that I love they stop making them!! It drives me nuts!

I just bought a few new inkpads for an event a week from Saturday and they're going to be retiring. I guess I can sell them as "like new" since they'll only have been used for that one event.

Happy stamping and I for one will be choosing retiring colors that aren't my faves to use up (although I am so sad that I don't have a single sheet of Kiwi Kiss left :( ).

Last edited by Vivi's Mommy; 04-06-2010 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by superjenView Post
You have a very positive attitude! And I like "RR worthy" - that's how I felt about Riding Hood Red and Pacific Point.
Me too, Pink Pirouette, Wild Wasabi, and River Rock worthy for me! Just a little paper hoarding. I am so happy they are back!!!

Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Here's what I am going to do or more importantly, not do. I will not be "stocking up" on anything. I will use up what I have and when it is gone, I will get another similar color from SU or PTI or whoever. I can certainly live and create without one specific color.

I honestly do not think my demo knew this was coming. She is a great demo and a successful demo and a good friend, so I believe that the actual event was news to her too.

Part of my issue (could be the biggest part...) is my organization issue. Everything is in its happy little family and I have no intention of reorganizing right now. Even a touch of OCD is a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Here's what I am going to do or more importantly, not do. I will not be "stocking up" on anything. I will use up what I have and when it is gone, I will get another similar color from SU or PTI or whoever. I can certainly live and create without one specific color.

I honestly do not think my demo knew this was coming. She is a great demo and a successful demo and a good friend, so I believe that the actual event was news to her too.

Part of my issue (could be the biggest part...) is my organization issue. Everything is in its happy little family and I have no intention of reorganizing right now. Even a touch of OCD is a bad thing.
None of us (except those on the focus group who of course were sworn to secrecy, hehe) knew. THere was an announcement to those at a certain level last night and then the rest of us found out from there and then the official announcement today. I certainly don't think most demos would have "let you" order a bunch of stuff that was going to retire, KWIM?

Anyway, I'm kind of, or was kind of with you on not being stoked about it...I was rather um....lets just say PO'd last night (just ask my mom or fiance who happened to bear the brunt of it) but after digesting and seeing all the info and doing some yoga, JK, I'm on board. Will mess with my OCD and organizational issues but I'll deal. Give it some time, I think a lot of people who were/are unhappy may change their minds eventually. I'm going to miss some colors but I'll love some of the new ones and life and stamping will go on!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I can assure you that we are JUST AS SURPRISED as all of you. We found out today at 12 mountain. I feel that it puts us in a bit of a pickle, I would absolutely hate to be thought of as dishonest. I can probably speak for many demos when I say the commission isn't a driving factor. In fact, I don't get much of one (if at all) due to the way I run my business/hobby. I encourage you to let your demos know what your concerns are, and to allow her try to help you as much as she can.

Have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #60  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm glad to hear that it was just announced....thanks for letting me (us) know. It's always a surprise, welcome or not, when something this big hits the fan.

I've already reorganized my pads/papers/markers into their appropriate places based on what I've read here. While I do keep everything, I have to know if it's current or not for publication submissions. It's easier to look at a glance and know, than to try and figure out if it's all jumbled together.

But now I have to redo my swatch book pages and rebind it together....

I have to say, and I've said it here or on the other thread, that I do like the smaller collections and am looking forward to the newer colors.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

As a non-demo, I would just like to point out that retiring doesn't mean you can't use it... Maybe I'm the only one who still occasionally uses my mint medley pad, but I still have a reinker that's half-full, so I figure I'm good for another 5 or 6 years with it. Reinkers are pretty cheap, ya know.

Just saying :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post

PTI seems to be the "hot" manufacturer now. It seems easy to think "I'll just switch." And believe me, I see the appeal of their great products judging from the avid following they have built just since August of 2009. But in 5 years what will they carry? How about 20, like SU? Really, if any vendor carries the same stuff in 20 years, how dated would that be?

This change is large, but part of SUs bigger plan to keep their palette fresh (and manageable for consumers) for years to come.
So we love Basic Grey, American Crafts, My Minds Eye, etc, etc, etc, just to name a few.They change not only the designs and prints, but they come up with new colors almost every season... and we continue to purchase their products (and love them)...from ribbos, buttons, paper, etc. Well SU is doing the same thing, changing with the times not remaining dated and behind the trends and what I call winnig products to please the customer. They are trying to keep their appeal and building on their success in appealing to a broad range of customers (beginners, advanced, old, young and in between). To me thats good business practice. It is said that we cannot please everyone no matter what we do.
No, I am not a SU demo, just A VERY SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!;)
Oh and yes, I do use other products other than SU.
Just like clothes and groceries, we do not purchase it all from one store, do we?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #63  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TozoTampa BayView Post

I guess it will depend on whether SU offers things like spots and re-inkers individually. I already have all four sets. As someone already said�we�ll just have to wait and see. :neutral:

Karen
Last time they offered a set of spots of just the new colors, don't remember if the reinkers were offered that way also.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

What would be supernice is if SU offer a significantly discounted "update" (just like you would update a program on your computer) to those customers who just bought in the last 30-60 days a complete color family of cardstock, inkpads, spots, or reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

Back when the last change happened -2005?- there was a box of spots that was sold that included the new colors. I think there were 12. I bought the box and tried the new colors. When I found that I really liked a color, I bought the full size pad. It really worked out well so I'm crossing my fingers they do it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #66  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper JunkyView Post
What would be supernice is if SU offer a significantly discounted "update" (just like you would update a program on your computer) to those customers who just bought in the last 30-60 days a complete color family of cardstock, inkpads, spots, or reinkers.
As far as I know they will be offering "kits" to make up for what you need. So, you won't have to buy all of a new set...just the "additions", make any kind of sense? I think there will be a few options for things such as ink and paper, WWC, markers, pastels.

Make anyone feel a little better?:-) I do think SU will try to make this as painless as possible.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

Great! I finally have all the colors, and now this! I think that the part that frustrates most of us, is the fact that we spent a lot of money to get the paper, inks, markers, etc., and when we are FINALLY done, they retire them and bring out new stuff. Of course that is the nature of the business, but it is still very frustrating.

As for changing to PTI, I for one, probably won't. I bought their paper samplers and one ink pad. I HATE THEIR INK!!! I'm so glad that I only bought a spot. ...now if they had ink like SU, I would buy it in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #68  
Inking Addict

I was completely blind-sided by this and in utter shock! So I posted on the SU board...Can we please rethink this and put it to an all-demo vote. OMG---I was hit hard by rude and mean people telling me there will be NO "vote" and this is a business not a democracy! They posted to quit being negative and get over it that I have a bad attitude. Wow, I was HURT! So harsh, so rude and cruel. I have, like many others have invested a boat load of money into inks, craft/classic/spots/markers/crayons/pencils/pastels and paper 8.5 x 11, 12 x 12, textured, and DSP over the years and this is a HUGE DELETION ALL AT ONCE. I do love the new colors, but my entire arsenal is built on the old. I don't call this whining, as I was accused of doing....I call this going through the stages of the grieving process. Be Real---this is a huge bite all at one time. But, the meanness just made me sad and so very hurt that the sharks came out in droves to beat the new colors in to me until I bleed them out. so much for the SU sisterhood :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #69  
Rubber Obsessor

I fully understand that SU wants to update their colours, but to get rid of almost all the purple colours, which are my favourites and use often, is bothering me. Some of the other retired colours aren't my favourites and I didn't invest in them. I will have to buy another company's purple once my SU stuff is gone. Oh well, the price of change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

Default Color renovation is the end of my demonstratorship!

I know Stampin' Up will never read all of the shocked (and appalled) comments about its color renovation as are posted on here! I HATE this idea! Not only had SU! started adding in so many new tools/supplies that I couldn't possibly keep up, but now they are getting rid of a color system that actually made sense! The "Fond Farewell" colors are too numerous! The New collections have too many of the In Colors I didn't like when they were only around for one year!
Farewell, SU! I can't reinvest all my money into colors I don't even like! Think of all the inks and cardstock I have, not to mention that expensive marker set!
Too bad!
Lucy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I never bought all the Classic Pads. I can still use all of my crayons and markers. Plus, I'll get a bunch more. And, I looked at the list. I only need 8 colors of paper because some of them are colors I had stocked up on when they "retired." I actually like that there are fewer core colors.

It's a bit shocking but I like it. I didn't use most of the blues all that often and rarely the Bold Brights. Although I did like all the colors, I don't think I'll miss them all that much. A couple, yes, but life goes on. I'm happy with the change. I hope some of you that are less than happy will eventually find it to be at least okay. The last big change was a shocker but most of us SU lovers got past it. I can't wait to order the new colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

OH my GOSH....I could NOT have said this better myself!! I also have ALL the 48 colors of matching brads and grograin ribbon from pinkhedgehogpapercrafts and I love everything to be matchy-match!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

I love River Rock so much that it is the wall color in my stamp studio! It rocks with black, brown, teal......endless possibilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

I was really shocked that they decided to retire so many colors at once. I had just begun stamping and had bought "spots" when they changed a few colors. While change is good....29 colors retiring is a lot of change. While I have almost all of what is retiring there are only about 6 or 7 that I am really disappointed about and I will be stocking up on cardstock in those colors.
If they were to retire 3-5 colors I don't think people would be as put out. Granted, I am not a demo so I can take my time pciking up the new colors.
I for one still love SU colors and product and have no intention of switching to PTI or any other company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

So am I guessing correctly that customers are allowed to hear about this change right now, but not see the new color families or new colors? If so, does anyone know when we'll be able to see them (or if not, where we can see them)? I heard the new families look great together, and I always love to see new colors, so I'm excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7View Post
So am I guessing correctly that customers are allowed to hear about this change right now, but not see the new color families or new colors? If so, does anyone know when we'll be able to see them (or if not, where we can see them)? I heard the new families look great together, and I always love to see new colors, so I'm excited!
No, you can see them. http://chicnscratch.typepad.com/file...rs_us_0310.pdf We will not see in colours until June/July.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #77  
Crimping Master

Hmm, might not open properly. Try from the post #115.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #78  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for posting that! I'm excited about Cherry Cobbler and Early Espresso! Some of the others are hard to tell about on my computer screen. I'll be interested to see Marina Mist and Daffodil Delight in person to see if I like them as much as I think they will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #79  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
So, how long do I have to stock up on the colors I love the most before they retire them?
They will be retiring on July 1st with the release of the new 2010/2011 IBC, so there is time to stock up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilstampView Post
I fully understand that SU wants to update their colours, but to get rid of almost all the purple colours, which are my favourites and use often, is bothering me. Some of the other retired colours aren't my favourites and I didn't invest in them. I will have to buy another company's purple once my SU stuff is gone. Oh well, the price of change.
We don't know what the new In Colors will bring yet, so I think that Stampin' Up! will round out some colors through them. Let's wait and see what July brings in the new In Colors. And then there will be next year's In Colors which will be added to this year's new ones, so maybe we will get some great purples!
Reply With Quote Likes