Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU color changes

Ok, been through the forum, I know this post MUST be out there, but after reading about 30 pages of topics I couldn't find it.

I am a little late getting to look at the new book for 2011 and it's colors because I had so much of the old stuff left and I wasn't in a position to buy new until old was gone.

So, I open to the paper and see the color changes...fine, no biggy. Then, I look at the packages. This is INSANE!!!!To buy the color family you get 2 TWO sheets each of the colors. So, that's typically (for me) about 8 cards!!!! What the heck. So now I have to order at least 2 packs of each color family to put cards together??????? I am so angry about this. Does ANYONE else have a problem with this or is it just me being me?????? I would love some feedback on this.

To just get started with the new colors it was going to run me $200 and that is without any stamps. I can't afford to buy the full size pads so I am using the spots (as I did with the old colors), and now my hopes of getting the markers is gone too.

Can't wait to hear from someone on this topic. Or, you can re-direct me to where this is already posted and I will head that way.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hugs
Paula
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I never buy the color families because I just don't use that many of the colors. I really only use about 10 colors plus neutrals, so I buy entire packs. I love Cherry Cobbler and bought a whole pack and I'll pair it with Ch. Chip. It looks great with espresso but it's too close to CC for me to invest in it.

I love Pear Pizzazz and a few other new colors. I use Pretty in Pink a lot, Ch. Chip. Some of the Navy's, Certainly Celery, Baja Breeze, Riding Hood Red, Crumb Cake, Gray....that's getting close to all I use. I had a hard time when I bought an assorted pack. I only did that once.

I did just notice that you get four fewer sheets for the same price.....weird! Or should I say rip off!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 12-10-2010 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I might get a mixed pack to begin with just to see the colors in person, if you haven't yet. Then I only buy full packs of the colors I need for a particular card.

Can you plan your cards first and then just purchase what you need to make them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually buy one assorted pack until I find which color I will really use, then I buy a full package of those colors...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the feedback. If I had any common sense, I would have been able to come up with the ideas myself. I guess I was just so frustrated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

It gets frustrating! Just when you think you have it all in order, they go and retire half of what we have and tell us, Just get new!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

That is what I do as well...buy a multi-pack, see what I am using and buy full packs of that only. Good luck! I must admit, at first I was a little irritated about the color changes, but I LOVE all the new ones!! And I think I only really miss the Brilliant Blue...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I really like the new colors, and the gaps that SU left (such as lavender and dark Christmas green) I can fill in with Gina K. paper. My latest complaint, however, is that I really wish SU would go back to their old burgundy. I had some butterflies that someone had made me with the embosslits in that color and I had the worst time using them on a card. Nothing looks good with that color, I finally just ended up using black and white. I just don't like that color at all.

But the new colors are great, and I really like that we now have ink to match the kraft paper. I will miss brocade blue and close to cocoa, however.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

i used to buy the assortment packs and I think they have always been 2 sheets of each color. it's a great way to see which colors you are going to use most and then buy full packs of those. as a demo, i was kind of peeved about having to re-invest in all the new colors, but i'm truly glad i did. the new colors are really great and fortunately, i was able to sell off all the retired stuff for close to what i paid for it, so it wasn't that much of an expense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
It gets frustrating! Just when you think you have it all in order, they go and retire half of what we have and tell us, Just get new!
This is the way I felt at first, but then came around. I do love some of the new colors: Espresso, Cherry Cobler, and Pacific Point, which I used in Christmas cards yesterday.

Your demo may have some of the new colors so that you can see what they look like before you buy them. Mine did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Also, look through SU's gallery to get an idea of colors you love.

I miss brocade blue...I had just discovered it and it retired. It's a nice "steel" blue

I also miss Almost Amethysist....the only purple I ever loved! ;)

I've kept the retired colors and will use them up.

I do love lots of the new colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I generally buy the mixed pack just to sample the new colors. I often find that there are a bunch I wouldn't use so I don't need to buy full packs of them. When I do buy the full packs I don't try to do it all at one time. I'll add in a few with each order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I didn't mind buying one pack of the mixed family colors, to have for color challenges here. I am disappointed to find, we have to buy family packs for designer pattern papers, which costs $20. Luckily, I'm not a demo, and can continue to use old
colors. I did buy the starter set also for cardstock, and the combo starter set for in colors of ink pads and cardstock. Gets a person started anyway

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampencamperView Post
I didn't mind buying one pack of the mixed family colors, to have for color challenges here. I am disappointed to find, we have to buy family packs for designer pattern papers, which costs $20. Luckily, I'm not a demo, and can continue to use old
colors. I did buy the starter set also for cardstock, and the combo starter set for in colors of ink pads and cardstock. Gets a person started anyway
I'm not a fan of the new dsp stacks but I've never liked the offerings for the single colored dsp. There is always some print or prints that I don't like! I sooo wish we could have a just polka dots pattern stack! Now THAT I would use all the colors! I keep wanting to buy the stacks for just a few colors of the polka dots...I've held off so far....

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefaniewilliamsView Post
i used to buy the assortment packs and I think they have always been 2 sheets of each color. it's a great way to see which colors you are going to use most and then buy full packs of those.
I'm pretty sure there used to be 3 each of 12 colours (36 sheets) and now we can only buy 2 each of 10 colours, which IMO is not an improvement. Even 3 each of 10 would have been better.

I do however love the colour family DSP stacks, mostly because all the patterns are nice and simple and eminently usable. Got my neutrals stack earlier this week and am still drooling when I think of it (OK, sad, I'll admit it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I'm pretty sure there used to be 3 each of 12 colours (36 sheets) and now we can only buy 2 each of 10 colours, which IMO is not an improvement. Even 3 each of 10 would have been better.

I do however love the colour family DSP stacks, mostly because all the patterns are nice and simple and eminently usable. Got my neutrals stack earlier this week and am still drooling when I think of it (OK, sad, I'll admit it!)
You are correct in the fact that it was 3 sheets of 12 colors for 36 sheets total in the assortment packs (and it used to be the 36 sheets for $7.95 - at least that's what the price from the 2008 catalog I pulled off the shelf).
Reply With Quote Likes