Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Question SU clear labels for rubber stamps

I have a question about the clear labels SU supplies with its rubber stamps. The instructions are to peel off the paper backing from these stamps and apply the clear labels in their place so you can tell what the stamp says or displays by looking at the back of the stamp. Seems like a good idea, but once you do that, the stamps no longer cling to an acrylic block or Misti door. Am I doing something wrong? And if not, why does SU provide labels that don't have a cling surface. Thanks for any enlightenment you can toss my way!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Not sure which kinds of stamps you are referring to. Are you talking about the new ones called Cling Mount? Those are very sticky and almost too sticky. I tend to rub them on my clothing to apply a bit of lint to make them less sticky. If you are referring to the older stamps labeled Clear Mount, those will never stick. Those are the ones that many people apply adhesive to the back to make them stick. I have been cutting up the extra pieces from the new Cling Mount to apply to those stamps to make them stick. I know SU is selling little tabs made from the material in the Cling Mount for the same thing, so I just use what I already have that is usually tossed. I hope I am not talking in circles. If so, keep asking and hopefully someone can explain a bit better.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

I just don’t apply the sticker. The stamp clings perfectly to the blocks without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by terry serman:
gaylestamps (03-09-2022), jeanstamping2 (04-08-2022), RenT (03-08-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 05:08 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I mean these, which I think are the second kind you mention - these aren't new stamps:

So what's the point of making something to put on the back of rubber stamps that prevents them from sticking to a block, whereas if you didn't put them on, the stamps would stick just fine? This just seems stupid to me.

Last edited by LemurLover; 01-06-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2022, 02:09 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,033 Likes on 780 Posts

Obviously, an error on SU's part that they have now corrected.....but it is stupid
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lovinpaper (01-07-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 12:19 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry sermanView Post
Obviously, an error on SU's part that they have now corrected.....but it is stupid
I wish they'd correct it for those of us who own the older sets -- I have to decide whether to have stamps that stick or stamps I don't have to read the rubber backwards for. I'd be happy to pay postage for SU to send me the stickers that actually stick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

I converted all my older "cling but doesn't" labels by painting them sparingly with tacky glue diluted half and half with water and leaving them to dry overnight before putting them back in the stamp cases. That worked very well. If you don't dilute the glue enough, you may get a too-sticky result, which can be fixed by tapping the stamps a few times on clothing as Lisa (Lovinpaper) said.
The tacky glue trick also works well if you unmount old wood-mounted SU stamps (heat for a few seconds in the microwave to soften the glue), peel the original stickers off the wood blocks, stick to the stamp foam and trim around the edge.
There was a lot of discussion in the demo community at the time the original 'cling'' mount stickers came out and proved to not be effective at clinging, and eventually SU came up with their current solution. I know I used to hate having to use other people's 'cling' stamps at crafting events. I knew my glued ones would stay stuck to the block, but sometimes other people's ones came off at the wrong time, usually once coated with ink (and like toast, the stamps always landed 'butter side' down!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2022, 05:15 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

When I started unmounting my years and years of wood mounted stamps, I too did the tacky glue, but it took a lot of time, and I eventually quit. Now that I have a reasonable amount of the very sticky cling mounts, I am going to go back to unmounting, and use the bits leftover from my newer sets. I will also be doing this to the ones that don’t currently have the stickers. It’s a process, but I know I’ll be happy when it’s done.
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 05:18 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
When I started unmounting my years and years of wood mounted stamps, I too did the tacky glue, but it took a lot of time, and I eventually quit. Now that I have a reasonable amount of the very sticky cling mounts, I am going to go back to unmounting, and use the bits leftover from my newer sets. I will also be doing this to the ones that don’t currently have the stickers. It’s a process, but I know I’ll be happy when it’s done.
This is what I was talking about. I have done this with many stamps, especially words. Sometimes I really want to see the words and using just a small piece from the new sticky leftover parts sure helps.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
lynnewithane (01-08-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #10  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LemurLoverView Post
I wish they'd correct it for those of us who own the older sets -- I have to decide whether to have stamps that stick or stamps I don't have to read the rubber backwards for. I'd be happy to pay postage for SU to send me the stickers that actually stick!
you can tell which ones are the old "bad" way they say they are CLEAR mount, the new "good" ones are CLING from Stampin' up

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Diana-I have extra bottles of tack it over and over glue-I can give and mail you one. I just cant till next week bc I am quarantining. PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2022, 04:51 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rub the glass block and the stamp on my pants and then attach to clear block and hold it for a second. I rarely have them fall off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2022, 07:21 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a dot runner over the back of the old ones I had put the picture on.
I do find the old ones lose their stick, hence the dot runner and for the stamps I use a lot, I cut out a small piece from the new cling mount and use that. I can tell which ones have the "cling " because they are stuck to the case and the others are loose in the case.
Reply With Quote Likes