Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SU Cardstock Question

For context, I used to be a very active Stampin' Up demonstrator. For the last 15 years, however, I've lived overseas serving as a missionary. A lot of my SU supplies went with me, as I still enjoy them in my free time. I'm in the U.S. for a while, and I'm combining some of the things I left behind in storage with newer items, both used and current.

I've purchased some retired cardstock from other stampers selling things online and each time I've received cardstock that is not what I'm expecting. It's not as smooth or as heavy as my older cardstock, even in the standard color families, and then any retired "In Color" cardstock I've received has been much lighter-weight grid-texture paper. So here are my questions:

(1) Did SU change their cardstock specs somewhere along the way so that it was lighterweight and not as smooth? (Actually, one side is smooth, and the other isn't "textured", but has a rougher surface.) It feels like cheap cardstock to me instead of the stuff I sold proudly years ago.

(2) Is all In-Color cardstock actually lighter-weight grid-textured cardstock (even for a time in recent years), or is it just coincidence that that is what I've received?

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
123scrap (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The only change I'm aware of is with the white. The company that made the whisper white closed so they had to find a new source. They came up with a basic White but I don't really notice a big difference. I'm not a demonstrator, just a user of only SU paper because of the quality. Maybe a demo will chime in here. Thank you for your missionary service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 05:46 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I'm a demo and there is a definite difference between the older cardstock and current cardstock. I've been using my older cardstock to make cards for a local Meals On Wheels program and it is thicker and smoother, just like you said. My mom even commented on it when she was making cards with her stash a few weeks ago. My In Color cardstock is lighter weight, too (I don't know what you mean by grid-textured).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by cnsteele:
123scrap (08-03-2021), Alice in Md (08-05-2021), ConnieB17 (08-03-2021), fl_beachbum (08-02-2021), kellykellie85 (08-03-2021), muscrat (08-01-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I haven't noticed a difference and I've been using SU! CS for the past 15 years. Well, except for black, that is. It is decidedly thinner.

Reply With Quote Likes
muscrat (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I'm a demo and there is a definite difference between the older cardstock and current cardstock. I've been using my older cardstock to make cards for a local Meals On Wheels program and it is thicker and smoother, just like you said. My mom even commented on it when she was making cards with her stash a few weeks ago. My In Color cardstock is lighter weight, too (I don't know what you mean by grid-textured).
Thanks. I'm glad someone else has noticed it, too! At first I thought it wasn't SU cardstock, that some of it was a different brand with an uncanny match that had gotten mixed into someones stash. After the second shipment, I figured out that probably wasn't the case, and that there had been some changes.

It's sad, though. The things I used to be so proud of marketing - the cardstock, the wood blocks/red rubber (which supposedly stamped clearer images), the full-size images in the catalog so that it was clear exactly what you were getting, and what seems like a larger variety - those things have all changed. There are a few new colors I've fallen in love with, but other than that, I'll probably just stick to my older, higher-quality collection.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month March 2013

Received 4,932 Likes on 3,826 Posts

I've noticed a difference, too. The older CS from SU was smoother.
DTs: Blue Knight Rubber Stamps and Technique Junkies
My blog: Cre8tive Play
Find Me on Instagram
According to Albert Einstein, "Creativity is contagious, pass it on."

Reply With Quote Likes
spedabstbit (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been a SU customer for over 20 years and a hobby demo for six, and I definitely see a difference between retired and current card stock. It may just be the quality of what is out there for SU to get from the different suppliers . The card stock comes in to their warehouse in huge sheets and then gets cut down.
The catalog has been downsized gradually over the last few years and part of that is due to the postage rate in the foreign markets. They needed to be a specific weight to save them money when the demos mail them to their customers.
Check out SU on Youtube. They currently have a short video describing their red rubber stamps, show how they are made, and share some tips for getting crisp clear images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought my very first packs of SU paper about two months ago online. I bought the Subtles, the Pastels, and the Regals. I've gotta say that I am extremely pleased with my purchase. Love the colors and the paper seems to be very high quality. I use the papers for die cutting only. So far, so good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I wanna say it was over 10 years ago when I bought a huge box of SU colored card stock from a demo who was selling because SU was changing their colors/names. I'm still using it up, but I fell in love with it. Could not tell you the color names to save my life and aside from a few stamp sets and punches, the card stock is my biggest SU product by far. I've read many who have observed same thing you have. I cannot tell you if it has changed, but what I can tell you is when I've asked older demos, they have all said YES it changed, not as thick or smooth. That makes me cry almost. I use mine for card bases and die cutting and now I think I'll just save it for card bases and mats (unless I need the die cuts to match).
Reply With Quote Likes
spedabstbit (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I save all my SU retired cardstock and use it quite often. There is definitely a difference between the old and the new. I quit buying the SU white paper and get mine from Accent at a much better price. Have any of you tried Gina K paper? I have been very pleased with her stamps and some other products, although I havent tried her paper yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahSaulsberyView Post
I save all my SU retired cardstock and use it quite often. There is definitely a difference between the old and the new. I quit buying the SU white paper and get mine from Accent at a much better price. Have any of you tried Gina K paper? I have been very pleased with her stamps and some other products, although I havent tried her paper yet.
Gina K paper is top notch. I haven't purchased in a few years, but my inventory is full of her product and I still use her paper.

I use SU cardstock a lot. I have a lot of new and retired. Some of the older does seem a bit thicker, but I am guessing it is due to the changing of the mills making the paper. The same will hold true for any brand as paper mills have been closing and new sources are being used by all companies. I remember someone talking about changes in paper.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I have noticed blotchiness to the cardstock. It is hard to describe-it is not solid color, almost like a pattern in it. Noticed this especially when I had ordered the incolor sample packs.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I have noticed blotchiness to the cardstock. It is hard to describe-it is not solid color, almost like a pattern in it. Noticed this especially when I had ordered the incolor sample packs.

Shirl
Yes, I noticed that with the In Color cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I know someone who buy large quantities of paper and card weight stock for a big printing company. He recently stated he is having a terrible time finding enough for their needs, or finding the quality they require. He also discovered one of their best suppliers [a mill that was closing] and told his boss. The boss said, "buy whatever they have left of *** stock; I don't care if you have to spend a million dollars!". And that was almost what it cost them! He said many mills have/or soon will closed. Perhaps SU is running into this same problem.

I'm still a fan of SU cs, but I have also found some on My Favorite Things and Taylored Expressions that I think is good quality.

Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (08-08-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittens20View Post
I know someone who buy large quantities of paper and card weight stock for a big printing company. He recently stated he is having a terrible time finding enough for their needs, or finding the quality they require. He also discovered one of their best suppliers [a mill that was closing] and told his boss. The boss said, "buy whatever they have left of *** stock; I don't care if you have to spend a million dollars!". And that was almost what it cost them! He said many mills have/or soon will closed. Perhaps SU is running into this same problem.

I'm still a fan of SU cs, but I have also found some on My Favorite Things and Taylored Expressions that I think is good quality.
What a shame there is such a deterioration....

I still have quite a big of Papertrey and Gina K card stock, both of which are thick and of excellent quality.
Reply With Quote Likes