Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is stamping your main hobby?

Or does your "hobby" budget get split? There seems to be a lot of threads lately about how much people have spent on their stamping, how they are splurging, budgeting, etc.

I guess I'm a little numbed to the cost of stamps, given my other "hobby" is showing horses - both DD and I have horses and show at hunter/jumper shows. We hardly ever get out of a tack store for less than $100, and that's when we're not having to buy anything "big" in that sport. After that, spending $25 on paper seems pretty tame.

What's your other checkbook drainer?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Stamping is it for me. It's really the only thing I spend money on now. I've cut wayyyy back on other stuff like fancy haircuts, new clothes, eating out, gave up my cell phone.

I'm not suffering or anything, I'm just prioritising
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

most of my money goes to crafting hobby, but once in a while I do buy shoes!! shoes are my weakness ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I do a lot of charity quilts and stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No, my main hobby is scrapbooking. Then sewing. Then stamping. Then jewelry making. Then counted cross-stitch. Then crochet.

But I have spent the most money on stamping supplies. Stamping seems to be the most expensive. Stamping supplies seem to need to be replenished much more often than any other hobby. I guess because of the paper that you have to constantly replace. Why is cardstock so expensive? I don't get it. I think people (especially one company in particular I won't mention the name) really takes advantage of people with their paper cost. (She) is making millions off of paper alone. The mark up and profit (she) should be ashamed of herself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh. Shoes. I might spend money on shoes. And um, also, cute clothes for my 4 year old DS. But that's it. Really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by not2shabbydesignsView Post
No, my main hobby is scrapbooking. Then sewing. Then stamping. Then jewelry making. Then counted cross-stitch. Then crochet.

But I have spent the most money on stamping supplies. Stamping seems to be the most expensive. Stamping supplies seem to need to be replenished much more often than any other hobby. I guess because of the paper that you have to constantly replace. Why is cardstock so expensive? I don't get it. I think people (especially one company in particular I won't mention the name) really takes advantage of people with their paper cost. (She) is making millions off of paper alone. The mark up and profit (she) should be ashamed of herself.
The only cardstock I find to be on the expensive side is SU! Dunno if that is who you are referring to. People are in business to make money. If they can get top dollar, good for them. We are always free to buy or not buy and shop around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

ummmm.. I used to buy bags... like Coach. I love my Coach bags, but alas I am on a budget now (like the rest of the world) and I have probably purchased my last nice/expensive bag. I like jewelery (i have a bunch of pandora stuff) and other than that I spend money on my camera (lenses, flash accessories..) So yah, most of my money goes to stamping/scrapbooking.. and Starbucks. Can't forget Starbucks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My main "hobby" is genealogy research although I probably spend more money on stamping and scrapbooking. More of my time is spent doing on-line research but since I have two kids very active in activities, I can't go do research in the locations I need to. Getting birth/death certificates in the mail isn't cheap, but my stamping supplies cost way more than my research does (at least until such time that my kids are on their own and I can travel for research). I also quilt, paint, and draw, but I use a lot of the same supplies for several of those as I use for stamping and scrapbooking. Still, stamping by far costs the most. A lot of that is because since I've developed a particular style, I tend to search for a lot of particular style of stamps and supplies instead of just purchasing from one or two venders. The more you search, the more you find that you love and the more it ends up costing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only stamp. I don't really have a budget but I really don't buy much anymore. I have so much paper that I'm trying to use that up. I live near a Paper Plus warehouse and they have really great paper. I also am trying to use up my last few sheets of this or that, its starting to get fun to see what I can make with it. I had two sheets of Sage Shadow and I don't like that color so I forced myself to use it. I made 4 nice I miss you cards for my hubby's National Guard unit.

Ok so a lot of words to say I only stamp. lol

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

I quilt, scrapbook, and stamp. I stamp on a regular basis and quilt in spurts. Took up scrapbooking to spend more time with my daughter because she will never quilt. Don't need anything else, but I do get stamps and tools when I find something I really like.

Lisa aka scraptigerlily
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
SuzyS1104 (11-07-2021)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right now, stamping is my main focus, but I go in cycles. I sew, quilt, knit, crotchet, scrapbook, alter & refinish old furniture... They're all expensive and I have tons of supplies for all my hobbies. The worst is my fabric stash. I use to have a sewing business when I was in university to make extra money making wedding gowns, prom dresses, custom suits, stuff like that and I use to make all my own clothes. My basement is full of boxes of fabric. I just don't have the room in the house we're in to sew.
Reply With Quote Likes
SophieLaFontaine (09-28-2021)
Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, stamping is my main hobby. My other hobby is watercolouring, which I do after I've stamped an image. <grin> Nearly all my disposable income goes to stamping and stamping accessories.

No, really, my other hobby is playing the piano, but I'm only an amateur and will only play to alleviate my impatience (if I'm waiting for the microwave to finish, or put on hold, or waiting for the husband to get ready to leave, etc.). That costs me no money 'cause I don't bother to keep it tuned and mostly play music that I already have or that is freely available through the internet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Ha, before I read down to Sophie's comment I was going to say music is one of my other hobbies but it is NOT free. I tend to get the flute serviced and the piano tuned alternate years, although I will always get the piano tuned as soon as it gets to the point of annoying me. Knitting - wool is expensive, but a good sweater can last for years. DH still wears one I knit him when we were dating 25 years ago. Sewing - patterns and fabric are expensive. I spread my money round my hobbies, but actually the only one DH counts as my personal spend and not general housekeeping funds is the stamping. And does reading count?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Cook22:
pepperann (09-28-2021), SophieLaFontaine (09-28-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #15  

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Stamping and reading! Mostly stamping though, lol! And can I include Splitcoast as a hobby? LMBO! I NEED my SCS fix daily (or hourly, ha!) or I can't function!
I do love to read too, sometimes I just need to get away from reality and live someone else's life for awhile, ha! So with reading, I love to collect books! No fancy 1st editions or anything like that, but I love to buy books!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Mischelle1 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I collect and show Model Horses. Its right up there with showing live horses. Lets just say i have expensive tastes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I quilt, rubber stamp and scrapbook - the first two I pretty much alternate about equally. I'm kind of behind on my scrapbooking! When I get in the mood, I'm likely to crochet or cross stitch (though I haven't done that for a few years, actually). And I play keyboard and sing regularly, too. I like all kinds of creative activities. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Scrapbooking, stamping and reading. I don't really buy much anymore that I need, just things that look neat. And reading doesn't cost me anything cause I get all my books from the library.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Stamping is my first hobby although I do jewelry beading, cross stitch, scrapping, and reading. Since I no longer go into an office for work I do not buy clothes, shoes, purses or jewelry. Also, no commute expense (gas and no commuting expense on auto ins policy), snacks/lunches out, or dry cleaning).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a sort of cycle of crafting hobbies I go through: just got back into stamping, just left knitting (half-way through a cable-knit sweater, of course! LOL), also crochet, counted cross stitch, embroidery, sewing, and scrapbooking. Haven't scrapbooked in YEARS because I'm so far behind. I'll eventually take the plunge and sort through digital images to have printed and scrap a few milestones at a time. But I tend to cycle through... I imagine my next cycle will be counted cross stitch because I haven't done that in a few years.

Of them all, I've certainly spent the most on stamping. When I was first introduced to SU back in 2004 I just HAD to have all the ink pads and markers and even went insane and bought all the colors for the wheel cartridges. I still use the stamp pads (thank goodness they were still juicy when I finally took them out of storage), but those cartridges are soon to find a listing on ebay or something... Not sure how well the entire collection of 5-6 year old colors will be, but it's worth a shot before I pitch them. What a dumb purchase! Wish I'd known then about unmounting and I would have saved myself a TON of money - that's not true: I would have spent the same amount on stamps or paper and tools.

I'm also a big word puzzle/sudoku fanatic. If I'm not reading in bed before I fall asleep, I work on my puzzle books. I guess as long as I'm creating something (with crafts or creating a puzzle solution), I'm happy!

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Showing horses costs a lot but it so worth it. I am jealous. Your baby in your avatar is beautiful.

DH & I have so many hobbies. Money definitely does get split. I am a voracious reader so I am always buying books and magazines. My DH loves video games. We both do a huge variety of crafts from paper to glass fusing. I also garden & decorate. Most of my money does go to crafting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

My #1 hobby is scrapbooking/stamping. That's where most of my allowance goes. (I've got it so bad that every once in awhile I even dip into my grocery $$! :( )
Sadly, I rarely have $$ left over for clothes shopping! I haven't been clothes shopping in ages, but I somehow find the time and $ to buy sb/stamping supplies several times a week! A close second (hobby) of mine is cooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Mischelle1 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

I hate to admit this, but yes, stamping is currently my only hobby. Before having 2 babies, I loved buying clothes, shoes and more shoes. After 1st baby came, I scaled down to buying everything for her. After 2nd baby came, there's not much more to buy, and I almost never get out of the house any more. My interest in stamping (after the interest sat dormant for a few years) was renewed. I surprised myself at how addicted to this hobby I am now. I have spent waaaayyy too much money on making cards the last few months. But I love it all!

With that said, I don't really have a budget. I try to be conscientious about what I buy. But if I end up with stuff from impulse buys, I don't worry about it. I still have stamp sets that I got from earlier this year that I haven't used yet. Oh well, someday I'll get to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Mischelle1 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

I think stamping and jewelry making is tied for me followed by counted cross stitch. I like to make faux gemstones with my melting pot and ultra thick embossing powder. You can see some of my faux necklaces on my blog. Next weekend is the big bead show Bead Fest at the King of Prussia Convention Center in Pennsylvania. I save up for that all year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Nope I split my time/$$$$$ between sewing, machine embroidery, rubber stamping, scrapbooking and general papercrafts!!!!

Right now I am BIG into RS/SBing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #26  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

I quilt, scrapbook and stamp. In the past, I've gone through all kinds of crafts. I don't have a problem paying more for paper from SU or fabric from a quilt store over buying those things at JoAnn's because I think the quality is better and I like supplies that match.

I would love to try woodworking and welding, but the tools for those hobbies are too expensive, so I'm trying to resist the urge - my sewing machine was spendy enough.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Ragtop (10-06-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Card-Making is my #1 hobby, most I do stamp at least the sediment on but not all my cards are fancy colored images. I spend the most money on Card-making including Stamps and Die-Cutting. I also Scrapbook some and I'm starting to get into Altered Items/Mixed Media stuff. Since all these supplies fall into papercrafting- thats where all my Allowances-bonus, holiday $$ goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Mischelle1 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stamping/Cardmaking is my ONLY hobby these days...but if I get the urge I can knit or crochet. I spend lots on my hobby but it benefits many. Since I sell quite a lot of cards, I also have that money to put back into my hobby and produce additional cards for the troops and my other venues..
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm split between stamping/papercrafting and sewing mostly. I do read a ton but I give my library card a WORKOUT so that doesn't cost much. Technically my budget is "fun money" for anything, like when I saw Eclipse that came out of the same budget as stamping. I think the stamping right now is taking the most of the money. When I'm working on a larger sewing project like a quilt that can eat up a lot. I won't use cheap fabric, thread or batting, just like I won't use cheap paper or ink or ribbon.

I'm pregnant and i've used some fun money to justify semi expensive intense cravings. Like this morning I would have DIED without mc donalds breakfast. That is not a normal expense for us though so I just took it out of my fun money so as not to affect the normal budget. And it was worth it. I was like a zombie I might have turned rougue if I didn't get that slimy breakfast burritto and hashbrown. Really.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (10-04-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Card making is my only hobby, although I am trying my hand at digi scrapping. I do crochet baby blankets as well, but those are for gifts, not just as a hobby or to try and sell at a craft show or anything. Thankfully, I've only got 2 more friends having babies, the rest are done!!

I don't have a budget, I spend what I want/can. I am also big into handbags, shoes, clothes, pink lipgloss, makeup, etc. I am a shop-a-holic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

My main hobby is gardening and I spend upwards of $200 on that every summer (okay, probably more than $200!). Stamping/card-making is probably my second hobby. And then of course there's traveling -- that's the most expensive one by far, but I only indulge every now and then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

I do hand needlework the most, been stitching since the late 1970's and learned embroidery from my mother. I got into stamping and cardmaking last spring when my vision was messed up due to a growing cataract. I got that fixed last September so I'm stitching more again-made such a difference! But it's fun to have 2 creative interests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes, stamping is my main hobby that I spend money on.

I like to cook also so I have a few cooking magazine subscriptions.

DH is just happy that I only spend money on magazines and stamping supplies, not jewlery, make-up, clothes and shoes like his ex-wife loved to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Mischelle1 (10-01-2021)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #34  

Stamping is my #1 hobby. I love it. I do admit that I also have weaknesses for other things like traveling, clothes/shoes/bags, and technology (phones, computers, gaming systems).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharileaView Post
Card making is my only hobby, although I am trying my hand at digi scrapping. I do crochet baby blankets as well, but those are for gifts, not just as a hobby or to try and sell at a craft show or anything. Thankfully, I've only got 2 more friends having babies, the rest are done!!

I don't have a budget, I spend what I want/can. I am also big into handbags, shoes, clothes, pink lipgloss, makeup, etc. I am a shop-a-holic!

Pink Lipgloss!! Now that's a necessity - like food. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Stamping is my only hobby although I enjoy baking and cooking, too. But I rarely get to bake and cook for fun anymore. I ALWAYS make time for stamping!

And starting next month, I'll also be heading back to school. I guess that could be consitered a hobby, right? :rolleyes:

~Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Shoes, clothes and stamping get my extra money..can't go without any of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

That's a good question. I'm a woman of many hobbies. I love to read, stamp, sometimes scrapbook (it's one of my least favorites, unless I'm doing mini books), paper craft (book binding, home decor, food wrapping/decoration, anything involving paper), make jewelry (i.e. beading), metal working (mostly jewelry but it's making "real" jewelry, not just beading it), cooking, baking, gardening, home improvement (though I don't do it often), watching TV (that's a hobby, right?), surf the net, and more that I can't think of right now. I will basically try any craft. Some I've tried that I haven't really kept up with are - sewing, quilting, wood working, leather working, clay (polymer and real), and painting. I also do a lot of volunteering. My two most expensive hobbies though are metal working and stamping. I'm also taking a class in resin all day Saturday, and that should be fun. My other hobbies will blend right into that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Yes, stamping/scrapbooking is pretty much my only hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm into stamping, scrapbooking and now I've picked up sewing. And reading, and cooking (when I feel like it). I feel like there's always something that I like to do. For the most part my budget goes to paper crafts though.
Reply With Quote Likes