Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping without Foolish!

I am new to cardmaking and love this site. How do you use stamps on cards without it looking like a 4 year old did it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

I suggest a tour through the gallery and a look at tutorials.

and welcome to SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Welcome to the site! I agree with the suggestion to look at the tutorials. So many can credit Splitcoaststampers with not only getting them started on their cardmaking journeys, but with also improving their skills.

Find some cards in the gallery that you like and copy them. There is nothing wrong with doing that and it will help you improve your cardmaking skills. I've been stamping for over 20 years and I copy other's work. You don't even need the exact same papers and stamps. Use what you have to recreate what someone else made, following their layout and/or colors.

SCS is a hugely inspiring resource and can teach you so much about stamping. Have fun exploring it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Check out the sketch challenges too! When I started on here those sketches helped me so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjssusanView Post
I am new to cardmaking and love this site. How do you use stamps on cards without it looking like a 4 year old did it?
This ^ is EXACTLY how I felt about stamping when I first started!

Everything was crooked (cardstock frames, stamping, even the card bases); I had (still have) a terrible eye for color combinations; and when it came to coloring the images -- well, mine looked worse than a 4-year-old scribbling with a crayon.

Some things have improved. Some I just have to work harder at. One of those things is being forgiving of myself for not making perfect cards.

As others have mentioned, look in the gallery and, using what supplies you have, try to copy the colors and/or style of someone else's cards. I recently learned of a Splitcoaststampers color combination Pinterest page that I think will help me with color choices:
https://www.pinterest.com/splitcoast...lor-challenge/

It took awhile, but I eventually bought some supplies that helped:
** Paper cutting: A good trimmer is a must but it doesn't have to be an expensive one. I'm still using a Fiskars trimmer that I bought 15 or so years ago. I also invested in a few round and oval punches, though I think I'll eventually replace them with dies that can run through my Big Shot.
** Card base folding: I have a Score-pal, though if I was to buy all over again, I'd go with the smaller Scor-Buddy since it takes up less workspace:https://scor-pal.com/store/scorbuddy-c-111/
**Straight stamping: A stamping tool like Stampin Up's Stamparatus or Couture Creations Precision Stamp Press is extremely helpful when using clear or cling stamps. A lot of people love MISTI but for reasons I won't go into here, I won't buy one.
** Image coloring: This is an area that I spent a lot of money on, mostly with terrible results -- until I stumbled onto Copic markers. Copic is a major investment but it is the one and only coloring medium that I can actually work with. Traditional markers like Marvy and Tombow (for me) were worse than coloring with crayon.

From there, just practice, practice practice (wisdom that I need to follow myself). I took a long break from stamping. Now that I'm back, my plan is to enjoy the process and not worry if I spend a day playing only to toss the finished product into the trash. Art should be fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 04:27 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I echo the good advice you've gotten above. I will also add the advice to start simple. A simple image and greeting are a very good way to start. Try not to overwhelm yourself, and remember that most of the intricate designs that you see were made by stampers who have been doing this for a long time. There are lots of great YouTube videos, and there are some great ones here on SCS too. Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 05:21 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi and welcome!

I am just going to note that when we copy another's work or part thereof we call it CASEing. You will see that term around here often and will know what it means-we give credit when we do it to the original card. Etiquette ;) I almost stepped in that one myself.

So...where to begin?
There are many stamping 101 tutorials on YT. These will not only show you products but also how to use them. Over time you may decide you have a particular style of stamping you like or you could like me and like a lot of them. (some people always do CAS-clean and simple, some people always work in mixed medias (multiple products) etc)

Do you have basic tools? Melissa touched on core ones but there are many in the world. If you go on the tool board here and search on a tool, it is very likely we have talked about it. If you go to the tutorials up there to the right of any screen there are some on specific products.

But I am going to mention some basic supply stuff:

Paper: Must have that. Most of us use some kind of heavy weight cardstock. Neenah solar white classic crest at 110 lb (reams on Amazon) is one of the most popular for a card base. It also comes in other colors. But a number of companies do their own heavyweights. People may use lighter like 80# to color on and then adhere that to the card base.

Scissors: Aside from a regular size, you may want to get what we call detail scissors for fussy cutting (cutting out an image) Popular choice: cutter bees. Key here is turn the paper not the scissor but again YT.

Adhesives. Double sided (DS) tape is super popular. Some use liquid glues. Depends. For paper to paper we usually use tape, for embellishments we go to liquid glue. Popular DS tape is sookwang. Glue varies but people like Ranger multi medium, tombow multi (green top) for two. Again there are threads on both here.

Stamps...well that is your choice. There are several formats-wood, cling, clear and raw (just rubber).

Inks-that is a long discussion and you need to see the YTs. I would focus first on dye inks vs pigments inks and not on hybrids etc. Those are the two main base types to me.

Envelopes...you can get these either at a stationary store or stamp companies or paper companies online like Marco's Paper. Some people like to have them match the cardstock they are using. Some companies do that.

"Matching"...this means one is usually using the product from one company so the ink, the paper, the envelopes all match in color. The idea is that it may provide a more polished, finished look. Some even might say more like a commercial cleaner look. (not in a bad way) Several companies offer you this choice. A lot of people like it-some don't care (me). Some feel it can "slave you" to the company and as colors "come and go". (Ie Stamping up changes them every couple years) Personally I like the freedom to use whatever I feel like. Of course this throw the door wide open to far more buying LOL/eek.

As was said spend some time surfing around here and on YT. If you have questions, you can always search them here or just start a thread like today to ask. There are NO dumb questions! We ALL started from scratch. It is a lot fun. It can be addicting. Card making is a great community around the world and many life long friends are made.

It is FINE to throw stuff out. In fact I may do designs on scratch paper first. It is like walking. Takes time (not as in 2 hours either) to master some stuff. NO shame there at all. Don't let it scare you, frustrate you, etc. As my Yoda used to say "It is just paper".

Lastly...if you see a card you really like and dont understand what was done...if you can link it here we ay be able to help you.

See you around!!

Last edited by wavejumper; 01-28-2021 at 05:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 05:50 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

This was me 20+ years ago. Start out easy and copy cards. I admit I still do this if I get a creative block. The more you do it, the more you'll learn. It just takes some time.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Every week cards are posted in the Favorites section under general stamping.......I am a huge fan of the Clean and Simple gallery. Not all of them are simple but a look through it can give you some great ideas for cards when you don't have a lot of supplies.. This site is full of resources as everyone has mentioned and I think you will have fun exploring..........welcome to SplitCoast.....!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and encouragement! I will follow many of your suggestions. It's a "Hobby in Progress!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Margot, I wish we had that like button now. I'd give your post a big LIKE click!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Lots of great information and suggestions here. I just wanted to add that the difference between a nice looking card and one that you might be disappointed with, is often the boring, non-creative stuff. Always make sure your lines are cut straight and that your adhesive isn't smeared everywhere. Take the time to get a nice, neat stamped image. if you make a mistake on the first try, flip your paper over and stamp on the back.
It's easy to want to jump in with lots of fancy designs and intricate images or dies. Trying to color an image the way the pros do it can be so frustrating. I still don't try to reach those levels, and stick to the simple images. when I first started stamping, I didn't color my images in at all. I only bought simple images that could be stamped in one ink color and stand alone. It helped me to ease into my hobby without stressing too much.
Lastly, start simple, and it will all eventually improve. A carefully made, simple, card will always look better than one is messily glued, with crooked lines and corners. Have fun!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 06:44 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Melissa. I want to Like all the posts here too!

Karen-that was good advice. I still struggle with straights lines which was why I invested in the nesting die sets. I am saving up for a really good cutter now. Clean visuals matter. I always see crooked cuts on cards-mine or the gallery- same way I immediately notice if a picture on the wall has tilted slightly. I don't personally care and still love the card, but I know a lot people get unhappy about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2021, 12:51 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Videos are a great source for ideas too. When I want to learn a new technique am glad there is a video to go along with it because then you can stop and start as many times as you wish to watch and do the same thing . I stopped and started a waterfall card about 8 times first time doing it. It helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Inks-that is a long discussion and you need to see the YTs. I would focus first on dye inks vs pigments inks and not on hybrids etc. Those are the two main base types to me.
Jennifer McGuire has a couple of good videos on ink comparison: &. The latter is from her Favorite Crafty Things from 2019, and she goes into what inks do what, her favorites, etc. Hope this helps!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

I totally agree! I LOVE "You tube university"! I am visually orientated so see it makes ALL the difference! I use it all the time for many things, not just cards.

One great thing is there is usually several of them on any one thing...so you can find the teacher that most resonates with you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2021, 04:54 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

You could also start by making CAS (clean & simple) cards. SCS has a weekly challenge for that. I learned a lot from that challenge.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes