Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-12-2004, 01:03 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping as a Hobby Only

Hi!
I've been pondering this decision for awhile on whether or not to be a demo. My question, I think I read some posts where some are demos just because they love to stamp, is that okay to do it just for yourself as a hobby only? Sorry if my question is not grammatically correct. I have a small group of friends who get together to stamp, plus I am not too concerned about meeting the quarterly minimum, and I would like to start participating in some swaps. My demo whom I am considering signing under says she doesn't mind if I do it as a hobby. She'll still support me. I'd just like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Rachel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:30 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hobby

Yes, it is perfectly fine. That's how many demos start out. Somewhere along the line you may change your mind and want to do it more as a business (you can do as much or as little as you please), but it's okay if you don't.

You'll get a discount and some access to wonderful tools, so why not?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Yup. I'm a hobby demo.
I was spending so much on SU products that it just made sense for me to become a demo.

I sell to a few friends out of the catalogs which helps me meet my minimums.

Go for it! The price of the starter kit is well worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:53 AM   #4  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Default To demo or not

I don't hear you saying enough to want to do it. IF you stamp with friends you can still save money by sharing and swapping stamps and stuff and buying in bulk then splitting. (OF course it wouldn't be 20% off so you would have to figure that out) Also about swaps-you can still join swaps if you are not a demo. I have a great monthly one that swaps whole, useable cards, has a choice of monthly themes, and a great hostess if you want to join.
-Vee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 03:19 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

HI Vee!
I'm really sorry if I didn't explain much. I was typing with the baby on the other arm, so it was really slow. Anyway, I've been buying SU products since I began teaching 8 years ago. I've really began to expand on more projects since my son was born this past summer, especially when it came to creating his Baby Book. And in the past 2 workshops I've attended, I've spent alot! And I still want to buy more! I've also been considering being a demo because the demos that I had were in the military so they would move after 2 years, so my friends and I had to look for another one. Hopefully this post makes better sense. I have a ton of projects in mind that I want to do since browsing through the gallery. Excellent ideas! Thanks again for your input and hope this clears my initial post.

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 03:22 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Hi Sharon and NY Nan!

Thanks for the input! I am this close (if you could see my fingers!) to signing!

Take care!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:04 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Rachel,
I have been a hobby demo for about 1 1/2 years. I love the discount as I am my best and only customer. I have no desire to run a business. I have done it before (with a different type of company) and just like to enjoy the stamping for me! Since you have so much on your wish list, as I did and still do, I say go for it. What have you got to lose? The kit is great and the quarterly minimum is low....and the discount is so worth it.
Good luck with your decision.
Laney
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Hi Rachel,

I signed up as a hobby demo in July. I haven't had any trouble meeting the minimum. I have one friend that (who - not that)buys from me, and I have one co-worker that (again who -not that) I believe will start buying, too. She is wanting (wants - not is wanting) to get into stamping.

I don't regret signing up at all. The one thing you need to consider is whether or not you will meet your minimum which is $300 per quarter - less the discount, of course.

I spend that amount easily because I am a fairly new stamper. I'm still building my supplies. Once I see new things in the gallery here, I have to buy even more!

Good luck with your decision!

Oh yeah, and we don't whip out the Real Red pens and correct for grammar, so you don't need to apologize for it! :lol: edit - I just went back and reread my post. It is full of grammatical errors! :shock: And I'm an English major! LOL

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:13 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,
I've been a Demo for 1 1/2 yr. I signed on just for the hobby of it. I have tons a pic's to scrap. I don't have a salesperson mind, to quite and shy.
I went to a scrap nite at a craft store, took the catty with me and I got $500.00 just that night. I'll still just be a hobby demo, but other's know that i'm a SU demo, and they can let me know when and if they want to order, that way when they see me coming, they will not run....AMWAY (sp).
It's nice to get the 20% off, and when you have all the fun things you need, and you will not be ordering much more...you can always quit and order from others, but until then, you can support urself, believe me there's plenty out there to buy.

HTH
Delene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:44 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Rachel,

The great thing is, you've got nothing to lose! The start up kit is a good deal, and if you find you can't meet your minimums, you just drop off. But if you keep visiting this site, I don't think you'll have any problem meeting your quarterly minimum requirmnt And at least if you try it, you won't have to wonder if you "should have."

I'm a hobby demo, and at the beginning of every quarter I wonder if I'll be able to meet the minimum - but it has not been a problem yet! Maybe when my baby is not so little anymore, I'll put more effort into the business side of it.

Rebecca
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 04:54 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Default Hobby Demo = To Be Or Not To Be

This question has been something that everyone ponders. If you purchase more than five stamp sets, ink pads, card stock, etc., you are better off taking the step to purchase the kit for only $199. In the long run, you will save money and potentially make money being a demo.

I have been a demo for five years and started off slowly and now, I am amazed how far I have come. I have a full time job and do stamping part time, but it is coming to the point where I have at least one (sometimes two) workshops a week and classes galore! I have found stamping such a release from the day in/day out office job.

If you can, take the plunge and sign on (wait until SAB though..another free stamp set of your choice), do it! I have not only financially made a difference but met such wonderful stampers and been so enriched by my business.

Good luck in your decision making and you'll know deep down in your heart what is your best decision. Have a wonderful day and holiday season.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 05:02 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I started out doing this as a business and ended up being a hobby demo. THis is my last month as a demo as I can't swing the quarterly minimum anymore...all of my customers are as poor as me, so they don't buy enough to keep me going!

It's been fun and I've gotten great deals and discounts.

If you think you can make the quarterly minimums and have friends that will help you, go for it! Even if it's only for 6 mos.

Offer your discount to your friends...then all of you benefit and they may be more likely to buy more from you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 05:19 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been a demo for about 3 months and I have to tell you...I love it! I got into it on the premise that it was just for the discount and I would basically just supply my good friends with what they needed. Then I decided to put together a stamp camp with 6 gals. I have had so much fun deciding what projects/cards I should do for stamp camp! I spend whatever I "make" on stamps and supplies and enjoy the free, wonderful resources that Stampin Up provides you with. This website has also been just the bomb for finding great projects to do...I just made a wonderful mini-book that JulieHRR had directions on SCS for. If your heart is leading you to signing than go ahead...you have nothing to lose!

Oh, and about the grammatical errors...don't look at my posts for accuracy because I'm sure you'll be horrified!
Old 12-12-2004, 12:45 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I just logged on this morning and read more responses to my post! What nice readings to start off my day! Thank you so much! I wil keep you updated on my decision! This is such a great site! I'm definitely hooked!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds to me like signing on would be beneficial for you and what you are interested in doing.

So, have we nudged you enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 01:37 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with Julie. You really have nothing to lose. And I think you will enjoy all the other added extras that come with being a demo besides the discount.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, this is exactly what I plan on doing when I sign up as a demo in late January 2005...it it grows to more of a business, that's great, but for now, it will be a hobby for me as I'm a full time working mommy.

I have been thinking about it for 1.5 years and I'm ready to take the plunge. I spend so much money on SU! products anyways that in all honestly, it just makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I agree with the others. The kit is a greaat deal. You'll get a 20% discount on your stuff. I've been a demo for almost 2 years. I haven't done it as a business. I keep saying I will and I intend to, but the beauty is that I can when the timing is right. For now, I have a monthly stampers club that keeps my minimum requirement. 6 ladies (including me) meet once a month. Each has to order a minimum of $25. Each month we draw a name and that person receives the hostess credit. I usually take the $30 I earn and spend it back on supplies. It's fun for everyone. Even if you only do it for 6 months, it's worth it.

GO FOR IT!!

And let us know when you sign up.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

When I signed my first recruit - who thought she'd do it just for the discount - I did it by asking her if she spent on average $80 per month on SU! supplies. Of course, since she was one of my stampin' buds I knew full well that she was spending that AND more!! LOL

Your prospective upline should be able to coach you on purchase timing to ensure that you don't spend your $$ if you don't need to. I had a girlfriend whose upline didn't tell her that her purchases during her first partial quarter didn't count and she spend over $1000 on her purchases that could have been deferred to her real first full quarter - this is all a matter of timing and it wouldn't necessarily be applicable when you start, which is why your upline would/should be able to help you even if this forum can't.

HTH,
Kelly Schroeder
Zion, IL
http://kellyschroeder.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

So if somebody signs up in Jan. (as a demo)...has a party later that month it doesn't count toward their $300? Also if you sign up "at" your party does it count toward your party total?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a hobby demo and I love it!!! Do it...you won't regret it. I do 10-10-10 classes, stamp club and birthday parties occasionally and I meet my minimum.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully219
So if somebody signs up in Jan. (as a demo)...has a party later that month it doesn't count toward their $300? Also if you sign up "at" your party does it count toward your party total?

What do you mean by "at" your party? Are you going to hostess a party and sign up that night? Are you asking if the $200 kit cost counts toward your total? I guess I don't really understand what you are asking.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 08:08 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkelly
I had a girlfriend whose upline didn't tell her that her purchases during her first partial quarter didn't count
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that if someone's first month is at the end of a quarter - March let's say - and they have $300 in orders in March and none in April, May, June, then they didn't meet the minimum? I thought that the first partial month was a buffer to help add to orders. Of course, now that I'm typing, I realize that the "buffer" month of sign up applies mostly to Stampin' Start. That said, if that same person only has $100 in March orders, they won't be deactivated for not meeting the quarterly minimum for Jan/Feb/Mar. Right?

I just want to make sure I've got it right!

Allison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 08:18 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

That's the beauty of this business! 6 years ago when I decided to become a demo it was because I was practically buying the whole catalog! (Well, not REALLY but I just couldn't stop!) Then it blossomed into a business and I enjoyed that phase as well. But then did become to big for ME and I found myself not enjoying it as much as I had in the past. So, for almost 2 years now I have not done a single ws. I just hold a club once a month with some terrifc ladies. It keeps me active with the company and totally supports my habit.
I thnk it is a wonderful company to be involved with no matter what you wantout of it and SU supports you in whatever and how much you decide to do. They realize that not every demonstrator is in it to "build a business".
Stacy (IL.) Ü
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkgirl9193
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkelly
I had a girlfriend whose upline didn't tell her that her purchases during her first partial quarter didn't count
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying that if someone's first month is at the end of a quarter - March let's say - and they have $300 in orders in March and none in April, May, June, then they didn't meet the minimum? I thought that the first partial month was a buffer to help add to orders.
No, your first partial quarter does NOT count toward your minimum, I found this out the hard way. If you start in March and purchase $300 during March, it WILL count for your Stampin Start, but it WILL NOT count toward the first full quarter minimum you must reach during April-May-June.

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 08:35 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Allison,

You have it right that there is no up front buffer. If you have $100 sales in March, well, good for you. April starts the new quarter and you will need to get $300 in sales for that quarter - everyone's counter is reset to $0. You do have a "buffer" at the end. If you haven't made your sales by the end of the quarter (June), then you are on probation and have the next month (July) to make up the difference and show that you are on track for the new quarter.

Jennifer

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi! I signed up as a hobby/demo last Feb 2004 just to get the discount. I had been a Stamper (Collector) for 5 years. I was mainly going to classes (very expensive) until I decided to join SU. I just started a Stamping Club a few months ago. I really enjoy making the projects. I love SU products and I think it is worth it just for the discount and the Demo website and magazines. The minimum is low and you never have to buy multiples of one product (like at CM). Just my 2 cents. Have a wonderful Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 10:00 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Default Stamping as a Hobby Only

Rachel,
I've been hobbying for 3 years now and actually thought about quitting because my state laws increased my business license cost, but as one of my very good friends has stated, "It is cheaper than therapy." Keep on asking questions though, even if you have to pester your upline or even SU! I still haven't seen anyone else from SU, not even my upline (on a small island), and had tons of questions before I signed on. SU is very good about making sure you know what you are getting. Am still having a ball, am able to make the minimums without to much trouble, and it gives me a hobby to even out hubby's fishing obsession. What ever you decide we know you'll still be coming here for all the greatness that is here. Let us know if you sign up.

Ideas that I've had time to put to paper & post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

I am starting as hobby demo, with an intent to grow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Me again!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the comments and input! Just to let you know, I did call my demo yesterday and told her I was interested. I will most likely sign up (after I read everything and ask her any questions) in January, but honestly, it looks like a go! Thanks so much! You guys are great!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 04:29 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Changes to 1st Quarter Quota

I just read in the January Stampin' Success that starting January 1, 2005, any sales made during the quarter you sign up WILL count towards your 1st full quarter sales requirement. There are also some changes for allowing retired stamp sets to be sold at Open Houses/Stamp Camps but NOT workshops.

Way to go SU!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 05:27 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Woo Hoo!

I was certain of the rules when I posted earlier, but they are changing January 1st according to the newest issue of Stampin Success! Your first quarter sales will count toward your first full quarter. That's a great change - wish that had been in effect in July when I signed up.

Jennifer

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. Victor Hugo

SeeMyGallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well I started out signing up for the discount and then after a couple months I began having workshops and stamp camps. After about a year I got a little burnt out on planning workshops and stamp camps because I wasn't stamping for "me" anymore. So for now I have cut back and become a hobby demo. The great thing is that I can change my mind and switch gears anytime I want. I rely on stamp club orders most of the year and of course I still order me lots of stuff. I have some great friends that are stamp addicts as well so that helps me meet my quota. And I have found that many of my customers will call me up when they want to order something out of the blue and that helps meet the quota, too. I say try and it and see what happens. Do a little something for yourself that you want to do and see where it takes you. Just have fun with it whether for business or hobby.

Good luck with your decision,
Carri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 06:55 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Changes to 1st Quarter Quota

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinSharon
I just read in the January Stampin' Success that starting January 1, 2005, any sales made during the quarter you sign up WILL count towards your 1st full quarter sales requirement. There are also some changes for allowing retired stamp sets to be sold at Open Houses/Stamp Camps but NOT workshops.

Way to go SU!

Sharon
YAY! Thanks for sharing this!

The dreamers of the day are dangerous people,For they dream their dreams with open eyes,And make them come true.- D.H. Lawrence

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 01:56 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the latest info! If what you said is true, then when I sign up in January, I have until June to meet the required minimum sales! However, I think that'll be done in January anyways because of my wish list! Thanks!

Rachel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

newmom,
Yeah, you could do it Jan. Especially when you have the 30% off on your first order. I think it has to be sent in within your first 30 days or 45. Can anyone clarify that. But heck. I couldn't imagine waiting evem a week.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 02:22 AM   #37  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Ya my first order will be to me by the middle of January if I have my way ;) I have my starter kit list all ready and my first order... can you tell I am excited?? :lol:
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2004, 04:35 PM   #38  
Crimping Master

Way to go Kar. Sometimes I feel silly. But I get so excited for you all. It's like, I can't wait until January to see all the excited posts by you all getting your stuff.

Reply With Quote Likes