Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Decorative edge scissors are making a comeback. We were having a discussion about that on 2Peas before it closed. We do think it will be a hot trend at January's CHA.
Awesome! I'm not stuck in the past, I'm ahead of my time!!!

I have a whole mess of these that I can't part with, even though I haven't used them in ages. Because they're all the Fiskars brand, which were pretty well made back in the day. And I know if I sell them, I'll be lucky to get 50� apiece for them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I now realise that there is no such thing as graveyard stuff. As long as you work in a Mixed Media style, all is good! Yay! ... to Mixed Media! Another reason to get more stuff for future graveyards. :rolleyes:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:11 AM   #43  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Gee whiz. As a newbie I am still doing a lot of those techniques though not all.

As for brads...I used a lot of different hearts for Val cards and people loved them...but you could do a border too if you are looking to get em and out.

Still like eyelets for masculine cards.

I dont believe in trends per se...I think that is just mfgs wanting to sell us new stuff..which is ok...but does not de-value the old stuff to me. Especially since a lot of it is really the old stuff done a new way-a new tool or whatever but really still the same technique. My stamping yoda tells me this every time I go "ooooo" lol and she's like "that's just X done differently. You dont need that-you can do that already".

Clear embossing paste through a metal stencil that you ink daubbed first and then throw on clear glitter...still dang pretty to me. Or two sided adhesive paper with a stencil using just glitter...be still my sparkly heart lol I plan to do this for xmas this year framed with some beautiful DP.

As a carder, I want 8 1/2 x 11 DP back! Much less wasteful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I think "steampunk" seems to be merging with an Industrial look but, I think it is just one of those things... you see what you look for.

when I look at the gallery for the favorites thread every week... I still see most of the things on this list :mrgreen:

the only things I do not have or use from it is Quilling or teabag folding or scented anything... ( too many allergies)

and I keep my rice paper with my mulberry papers sorted by colors and I just picked up a big pack from that craft store that had the embossing folders on sale a few weeks ago... the problem with that is, those things are so deceptive you think you will get the colors that are in the photo and instead you get a pack that only has a million sheets of 5 colors.. such is life. I can always paint over it and just keep the texture.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Filofax is a brand of planner and a system to use it. I've seen lots of paper clips, washi tape, lots of color and design...

Filofax

It has a huge following, and that's totally understandable in my mind. Too pricey for me, but if I had the money I'd be on the bandwagon too!
My Filofax is totally 100% functional. Something that has been carried around in my purse for the last 15 years or more doesn't allow for fanciness.
Having said that, this year I've ditched it and moved all my information over to my smart phone. I still sort of miss it but my purse is a lot lighter without it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

I used my deckle edge scissors just the other day. Love vellum, and embossing powder, and would like to find mulberry paper locally. Haven't used eyelets in some time but I do use brads. And my crimper. I'm glad rainbow pads are out--I always thought they looked cheap. My motto is use what you want and make yourself happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha..the only thing in my graveyard is eyelets! Bought a pile..hated them! I still use all of the other things though especially the mulberry paper!..sorry Lydia!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Filofax is a brand of planner and a system to use it. I've seen lots of paper clips, washi tape, lots of color and design...

Filofax

It has a huge following, and that's totally understandable in my mind. Too pricey for me, but if I had the money I'd be on the bandwagon too!
This sounds like Smash Books to me in the uk, with Filofax being a diary type system that has been around for donkeys' years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:07 AM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

My thoughts are that smash books are more for things that have happened and the Filofax includes upcoming things. I don't know this for sure, just seems to be from what I've read.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I find very interesting how old is coming back and since I don't usually go with trends and a lot of these I never stopped using. Instead I found new ways to use them.
  • mulberry paper - great for mixed media; try covering chipboard like tissue paper
  • velum - I never used it that much but still use it
  • glossy card stock - love it and use it alot
  • crimpers - still use it; crimped ribbon is a fav
  • rainbow ink pads - still use them
  • stickers - never did like them and only have a few left
  • slides - still use them
  • paper clips - only the huge ones for book marks
  • staples - never did
  • photo corners - nope, nada
  • background stamps - OMG love these and will never stop using them
  • 8.5x11 dp - I'll still buy lasting impressions dotted
  • handmade paper - yes, just bought some from Amazon
  • embossing powder (You embossed everything) - rarely but more with mixed media
  • decorative edge scissors - only have one set; never did like them
  • tea bag folding - too tedious, never did it
  • quilling - still have some but again, too tedious
  • solid stamps - love shadow stamps & still use them
  • metal stencils - use them with modeling cream
  • chalk - I rarely use but can't seem to give/sell it
  • corner punches - gone, baby, gone
  • scented cards - yew, never liked the idea

other things to add to the list
  • Metal edged tags
  • micro beads - I'm using mine in mixed media just so I can get rid of them
  • dew drops - not that long ago, but don't see them that often
  • country girls & quilting stamps
  • iris folds
  • clay boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
My Filofax is totally 100% functional. Something that has been carried around in my purse for the last 15 years or more doesn't allow for fanciness.
Having said that, this year I've ditched it and moved all my information over to my smart phone. I still sort of miss it but my purse is a lot lighter without it.
Filofaxes are making a comeback - but they aren't filofaxes. They are custom designed calendar systems that people rave about in youtube videos. A Look at My Erin Condren Life Planner with Jen! - YouTube I like them but no. I'm not spending that much money on a glorified calendar...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Decorative edge scissors are making a comeback. We were having a discussion about that on 2Peas before it closed. We do think it will be a hot trend at January's CHA. That and fibers.
Definitely!

Saw Recollections brand at Michael's and another brand at Joann's in the last couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
Is Steampunk still in? I don't think I have come across a steampunk style card in ages.
Steam punk is definitely still in, I do a lot of it. I do Multimedia Steampunk, canvases, mannequins, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

R.I.P to these products as well:
  • Grommets
  • Liquid Applique Pens
  • Puffy Paint Pens
  • Liquid Pearls
  • Loose Glitters
  • Frantage
  • Rub-On's
  • Rubicoil-ed journal cards
  • Tag journals
  • Z Becky Brown purses

That is all I can think of right now....and I have them all except for the Z Becky Brown Purse, I did a Steampunk theme on it and sold it at our last Steampunkers show. I wonder if Becky Brown ever thought one of her purses would be turned into a Victorian Era laser trunk complete with working lights!:p

Embossing powders? DEAD?! :shock: I just ordered 2 of Stampin' Up's latest colors of powders. I use embossing for accents and sentiments mostly. When I first started stamping, I'd emboss everything!!

I will, guiltily admit, that I do use VIVA Pearl Pens. Those pearls actually round on the top instead of looking like tiny Hershey's kisses like the other kind of liquid pearls.
I remembered the liquid applique ONLY because I had found a tube of the Marvy brand buried in my desk drawer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
What is a filofax craze?

What is webbing spray?
I can't help with webbing spray. I don't think I have ever used it.

Filofax craze- If you do Pinterest or watch You Tube videos type in Filofax. I am not responsible for enabling, lol. Here's my favorite Filofax girl- A Crafty Island Girl: Filofax: Inside My A5 Original

I thought that is one rabbit hole I am not going to explore. I got hooked any way. I love Project Life, Journaling & creating books & scrapbooks.

Rubber Stamping- I am buying stamps I would never thought of buying. It has renewed my love of stamping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
My thoughts are that smash books are more for things that have happened and the Filofax includes upcoming things. I don't know this for sure, just seems to be from what I've read.
My whole week can fit on a post-it-note. I use my Filofax as a diary. I think I went backwards.

My hubby bought me the A5 Metropol for our 19th anniversary.

Don't get me started on Smash Books. That's another obsession.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
I now realise that there is no such thing as graveyard stuff. As long as you work in a Mixed Media style, all is good! Yay! ... to Mixed Media! Another reason to get more stuff for future graveyards. :rolleyes:
I was thinking about the graveyard thread earlier when I was out shopping. So many of our paper crafting graveyard things are now the hot trends in other crafting realms. My mixed media supply list alone covers it.

Remember the paper punches in the day before the lever punches? I snagged one of those the other day super cheap. I was thrilled. I use punches to make doll house miniatures and to make accessories for my dolls. I collect Ball Jointed Dolls & customize them. I also use my punches for nail art. I snagged one of those old punches to make plants and flower miniatures. I got my punch for under $5. A lot of girls are paying exorbitant prices on Ebay in the miniature world.

Puffy paint just got mentioned. I have all the colors. I use it for Decoden. Google- Decoden.

Chalks- I use them for Polymer Clay & Doll Making. I have a set of Stampin Up chalks. One of my friends is trying to steal them, lol. She was shocked you can order things from Stampin Up if you were not a paper crafter. I guess a demo told her differently.

I love graveyard tools.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 04:53 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Good heavens, DeeAnn - I also have quite the collection of the Fiskars hand punches in all kinds of shapes - flower, star, heart, diamond, tree, all about 1/4". Your post made me go check out Ebay, and now I'm wishing I had bought more of them at the warehouse sale where they were selling them 2 for $1 !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 05:52 AM   #58  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I have never stopped using many things on this list.
Vellum
Glossy paper
Crimper
Paper clips (but I only ever use/d fun coloured neat shaped ones. Never office ones.)
Photo corners ( make my own with a punch)
Background stamps
Embossing powder
Chalks
Liquid pearls
Liquid Applique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Good heavens, DeeAnn - I also have quite the collection of the Fiskars hand punches in all kinds of shapes - flower, star, heart, diamond, tree, all about 1/4". Your post made me go check out Ebay, and now I'm wishing I had bought more of them at the warehouse sale where they were selling them 2 for $1 !!!
Are these expensive? Why? What are people using them for?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Vellum is making a comeback. There is an entire feature on it in the latest issue of CardMaker.

I agree, embellishments and techniques come and go as far as what is "in". But I have always tended to use what I like regardless of it's popularity. I may try a trendy paper or embellishment but if I can't "make it work" it will go into the back of a drawer some where.
Just recently I did a mini-purge and tossed things I really could not see myself using...trendy or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #61  
Inking Addict

I took a look around my crafting area and noticed (along with pretty much all items that have been mentioned - except webbing spray and scented cards)

-Walnut ink
-Foam stamps
-Acrylic paint

As long as I can remember, I've enjoyed arts/crafts, so I don't often get rid of craft supplies, because I can often use them in a different way, for a different craft.

When sequins turned up in papercrafting, I found some in my supplies. I haven't put quilled items on a card, but I still have the supplies from the 70s and could give it a try for cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

What a great list! I definitely agree that brads, eyelets and decorative scissors have bit the dust. RIP. I still use eyelets but only to reinforce a hole for a hanging tag.

But Darlings, vellum is back with a vengeance which makes me very happy. I just ran a challenge on it this week and the cards were GorJus! It just gives such a sweet, soft look.

I was about to give up on mulberry paper, but then someone posted a flower made with it recently. (I'm sorry, I don't have the link.) It made me think I could use it with any of my flower dies for a soft look.

Does anyone remember Prima Flowers? and Magic Mesh? I'm afraid they're in the final resting places, too.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - Stampin' Style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

other things to add to the list
  • Metal edged tags
  • micro beads - I'm using mine in mixed media just so I can get rid of them
  • dew drops - not that long ago, but don't see them that often
  • country girls & quilting stamps
  • iris folds
  • clay boards
Oooo Stamphappy1650, I love your list, but don't give up on microbeads just yet. I think they're making a big comeback with shaker boxes this summer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
What a great list! I definitely agree that brads, eyelets and decorative scissors have bit the dust. RIP. I still use eyelets but only to reinforce a hole for a hanging tag.

But Darlings, vellum is back with a vengeance which makes me very happy. I just ran a challenge on it this week and the cards were GorJus! It just gives such a sweet, soft look.

I was about to give up on mulberry paper, but then someone posted a flower made with it recently. (I'm sorry, I don't have the link.) It made me think I could use it with any of my flower dies for a soft look.

Does anyone remember Prima Flowers? and Magic Mesh? I'm afraid they're in the final resting places, too.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - Stampin' Style.
3D flowers are flowers whether they are Prima or punched. I always altered my Primas anyway. And I have seen Magic Mesh used in the last couple of weeks on Youtube for cards and mixed media. Guess it all depends on where people are looking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like fashion.....hold onto it long enough and it comes back in style!
Like most here, I have a lot of these items still in my stash. I still use eyelets and grommets on tags but haven't pulled the mulberry paper in forever.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 08-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Eyelets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I was looking at some US Paper Crafts Magazines last night from a couple of years ago and there was a big feature on using zips and how creative you can be with them and they showcased some cards with flowers made out of zips. And then I remembered seeing zips in some Australian cardmaking magazines too. Don't know if they ever caught on or not but I think they are probably something you could add to the "Graveyard List" (correct me if I am wrong!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Does anyone still use the spritzer tool? Mine must have at least five years of dust on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #69  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I was looking at some US Paper Crafts Magazines last night from a couple of years ago and there was a big feature on using zips and how creative you can be with them and they showcased some cards with flowers made out of zips. And then I remembered seeing zips in some Australian cardmaking magazines too. Don't know if they ever caught on or not but I think they are probably something you could add to the "Graveyard List" (correct me if I am wrong!).
What are zips?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Does anyone still use the spritzer tool? Mine must have at least five years of dust on it!
Tim Holtz just marketed his version at CHA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What are zips?
I think zippers -

Flowers - https://www.google.com/search?q=Zipp...w=1366&bih=667

Crafts - https://www.google.com/search?q=Zipp...rafts&tbm=isch
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

LOL - I was thinking something exotic :p:p:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

LOL - I was thinking something exotic :p:p:p
I watched Neighbours (Australian Soap) for years when I lived in England, I know how those Aussies like to shorten words! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Smile

I have so many of the graveyard items!

Just recently put together a huge lot that I'm going to post on Ebay in hopes of it going on to a good home.

I have, it seems, like 1,000,000,000,000 eyelets in all colors, shapes and sizes. I take them out, remember the good times, then put them back. So much for clearing out the stash!

I also still have a few of the Sizzix Paddle Punches....remember those? Mine languish in a drawer.

Last edited by pepperann; 08-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add a line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #75  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

What are zips?
I had no idea that what we call zips isn't called that in the USA and zip means zero over there :eek: So, I assume you call them zippers there :confused: - you know: the metal thingy with the tab on pants that you pull up and down. Us Aussies shorten everything and don't even realise LOL

Another product I thought of last night is the Spellbinders Presto Punch as I came across an ad for it in a magazine from a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it for ages and not sure if they still make dies for it. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #76  
Kookie Creator

Zip is the uk word for the metal pull up fastener,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepperannView Post
I have so many of the graveyard items!

I also still have a few of the Sizzix Paddle Punches....remember those? Mine languish in a drawer.
Well I'm always looking for these if you want to get rid of them!!! I use them all of the time for my Kids Craft Club. They love to hit the punch with the hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me know if you are interested. :0)
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I had no idea that what we call zips isn't called that in the USA and zip means zero over there :eek: So, I assume you call them zippers there :confused: - you know: the metal thingy with the tab on pants that you pull up and down. Us Aussies shorten everything and don't even realise LOL

Another product I thought of last night is the Spellbinders Presto Punch as I came across an ad for it in a magazine from a couple of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it for ages and not sure if they still make dies for it. Anyone know?
Well Aussie's shorten University to Uni, Barbecue to Barbie, it would be logical to think Zipper would be shortened to Zippy but that's a kangaroo! :lol: (for Americans it is the Australian form of Lassie)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #79  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Well Aussie's shorten University to Uni, Barbecue to Barbie, it would be logical to think Zipper would be shortened to Zippy but that's a kangaroo! :lol: (for Americans it is the Australian form of Lassie)
Do you mean Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? That takes me back to my childhood.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Do you mean Skippy the Bush Kangaroo? That takes me back to my childhood.....
:lol: Oh dear! It's the accent! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes