Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2019, 05:52 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
I know the top demos work hard to build their teams and their business, but I truly wonder if I am paying higher prices for their rewards of cruises and freebies at the conventions. I do know you have to be at a certain level to qualify to attend the convention, and huge sales to win the cruise. I like the quality of paper, and will continue to purchase some things, but I have shopped more from SSS than SU lately! I will not support the pirates at **********, they rip off artists, designers and companies.

My demo is a 2 million dollar seller and I am fortunate that she passes on nice rewards to her customers.
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #42  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
Anybody can go to convention as long as we pay for it. There is a special event that requires demos to be at a certain level in order to attend but the convention as a whole is open to all demos. 😊
My demo friend can't afford to go to convention, so no freebies for her. Plus the conventions are never held close enough for her, even if she could afford it.

My question is this, and I'm being sincere. Do other companies do such extravagant stuff for their demos? Like cruises? Or maybe there aren't any other companies like SU? Fun Stampers Journey comes to mind. I know they must get discounts, but do they get trips etc. I'm truly just curious. Maybe it really is the way theses businesses work, but I've only attended SU classes so that's all I know.

I can't emphasize this enough....I love the quality and coordination of SU and I have four stamp sets on my nlist for January's order!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
My demo friend can't afford to go to convention, so no freebies for her. Plus the conventions are never held close enough for her, even if she could afford it.

My question is this, and I'm being sincere. Do other companies do such extravagant stuff for their demos? Like cruises? Or maybe there aren't any other companies like SU? Fun Stampers Journey comes to mind. I know they must get discounts, but do they get trips etc. I'm truly just curious. Maybe it really is the way theses businesses work, but I've only attended SU classes so that's all I know.

I can't emphasize this enough....I love the quality and coordination of SU and I have four stamp sets on my nlist for January's order!

CTMH does. My demo has earned the trips for the last several years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post

Only multi-level marketing companies aka pyramid selling, where the company has a large workforce that gets no salary. CTMH is one, like SkyNacho said. Though not crafty, Tupperware, Avon, Mary Kay and Amway were some of the better known ones. There are many that are high pressured and scams, and participants don’t make money and some lose it.

Multi-level marketing - Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked Stampin' Up! products but have decided I cannot afford to buy from them. And, the shipping for a small order is outrageous too. But there is no way I will resort to ordering from ********** and buy knock offs of other small companies. I don't care to own stolen goods. If need be to save money I will work more with digitals. There are a lot of great digital stamps that are less money and gorgeous!

Here is my Flickr url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangerhofer/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampinmom57View Post
I am really disappointed that Stampin up took away the extra 25.00 in rewards for a 250.00 dollar order during sale a bration. They keep taking away customer incentives. First they lower the rewards from 25.00 to 15.00 for a 150.00 order and now this. They are going backwards as far as i am concerned. They should be upping our rewards, not take them away. Ok Im done now.

The cute Little Ladybug host stamp set is valued at $23 (demos can buy it at that price during pre-order). So it is only a $2 difference in value from last year. You don't get a choice, but do get something that is extra fun, rare and could go up in value. So it is a way for Stampin' Up! to try something new. I love the Golden Honey Specialty paper. You have to see it in person to see the Gold metallic shine.

Keep sending in your suggestions - they are working over a year out on catalogs (it is a huge process to develop new products and supporting materials) so it may take a while to see change.

I agree that it is great to have new stamp set work with current dies (two in the new mini catalog). It makes me sad that there are so many dies in the Clearance rack right now with nothing to match. That is because they try so hard to avoid disappointing backorders. I certainly would not like the job of predicting sales 10-12 months in advance to order dies, punches, ribbons and paper that need to be made by other manufacturers.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I am fortunate in having found an SU demo who lets participants just pay for materials. So, I'm only on the hook for $3 (Yeah, she only charges $3 for making 3 cards!). I used to belong to a group where we had to commit to a certain level of purchase per month (ranged from $15 when we had 10 people to $25 when we had just 6). That was early in my stamping experience and at the time SU had lots I liked. As I accumulated more and more (sound familiar, ladies?), I found I was less attracted to SU's designs. I hate the new pads vehemently, and I recoil at paying $27 for a set of clear stamps. Yes, the paper/cs is nice, but as someone said "Tuesday Morning"- it's a great place to score paper/cs, along with stamps, dies, embellishments, etc. I was appalled when SU lowered the rewards for hostesses. That's just tacky, especially with the monster rewards to top demos. Unlike a lot of devoted SU users, I am perfectly capable and happy to color match and coordinate for myself. I buy online a lot, and have plenty of places I rely on for goodies to craft with. (PaperPapers.com is terrific, as is Dick Blick) I did just do my turn as hostess in our SU group and was ticked off that the Holiday Catalog items were so out of stock a full month before the caty ends. I have seriously stepped back from SU- there is so much else available, and at more attractive prices. Also, I go to the twice a year LSS "garage sale", where I have picked up lots of SU at astonishing prices (especially at the half price last day!). My big score at the last sale was the SU Curvy Keepsake box die for $1- it's discontinued and going for outrageous prices on ebay. SU has been losing ground with me for some time. I will continue to go monthly to my friend's group, as long as she keeps the price reasonable, but I'll never commit again to a monthly required purchase of SU merchandise.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I know that many are loyal to the Stampin'Up! brand and their products are excellent quality, but I agree - the incentives get reduced more and more all the time and the prices get higher and higher all the time. I rarely order from them any more. Having said that, I will also say that if they have something I really want I don't worry about their seeming greediness - I just get it (Nature's Beauty, anyone?).

I quit ordering from them awhile ago also. They are “behind” on the trends and their shipping is ridiculous. I can find much better prices elsewhere. I don’t need the stamp to last my lifetime, I find different things and stamps that I like and the older one sit anyway!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #49  
Glitter Queen

I agree about Alie express. I bought one time only to see how the products compared. The dies were so thin they flopped around. I didn't see any real rubber stamps available (only clear) and knew right away they were exact copies so I didn't order stamps. I was happy with the embossing folders though. As I recall it took about 3 weeks for me to get my order but it was a long time ago. I recently complained to Amazon about all the cheap Chinese goods they insert into my searches. Got no response. I would rather buy U.S made products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

Default AliBaba

If you buy from them, don't complain about the loss of jobs in the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Joan B (08-01-2022)
Old 12-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Default Alibaba

There is a seller on ********** that creates her own designs. She's been interviewed in the UK and she's legit. Her stores are Alinacraft and Alinacraft2. The dies are thinner but I've never bought one from her that didn't work. She doesn't rip off other designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 459 Likes on 306 Posts

I found I didn't want a single thing from SaleABration, either, which is a good thing for my checkbook!

Merry Christmas Eve, all!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Default Buying from Ali is not the answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazmomView Post
I wish I can see the catalog to see if I want anything. Being on a limited income it's getting the point where I am highly thinking of buying from **********. It's cheaper and pretty much the same products.
While I understand the draw of getting products cheaper, Ali is not the answer.
The reason they are “pretty much the same” is because many who sell on there STEAL copyrighted designs, often before the companies can put out their own catalogs. If you buy the same design off Ali, when you KNOW it belongs to a US company, you are participating in intellectual property rights violations. These companies have to spend money to defend their designs, because they are in business to make money, and they can’t just give them away.
Buying from another country who is undermining our own companies, is short term gain, as our companies cannot compete against their heavily subsidized, state supported, companies.
Additionally, their human rights violations are egregious, as they are persecuting Christians and Falun Gong through imprisonment and torture, and seeking to suppress the rights of the Hong Kong residents, among other groups.
For those who would say, “this is a stamping site, no politics”, I reply, “this is what your money would support, and you have to make a choice if getting products cheaply is worth the human cost.”
While we don’t always know where the items we purchase come from, in this case it is clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #54  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hummm,

I love my SU demo. She is an amazing, generous, woman and our small group is such a happy place to be. I think it has been about 5 years that I have participated in SU products..maybe a bit less...but it feels to me that StampinUp has been going through a lot of internal changes.

* i am not a fan of the format for the latest new mini catalogue. I find it to be cumbersome.
* i found several embossing folders that I would like to have, but there was not much that really screamed “buy me!”
* I did mot see anything in the Sale-a-Bration catalogue that I want.
* I do find SU to be more expensive, but as a fan of Penny Black and Gina K, and SSS, they are not THAT crazy. Of course, the other companies offer much better deals, sales and offers for discounts and free shipping with regularity.
* SU shipping costs ARE really high...and free shipping, as someone else mentioned, is seldom offered, or if it it is..for one day only. Of course the upside to the cost of shipping is that things are shipped fairly quickly. For me, free shipping is important because I live on a rural island with no shopping options and the mainland is a full days trip.

* SU offers quality products that always coordinate well. For some people that is very important.
* With so many options for online shopping I would not choose to buy **********-like knock-offs because of my beliefs about artists and their work...and I say that as a person on a very limited fixed income now that I am retired.

We are blessed to have SU demos who are always available to us for support and ideas. We are blessed as well to have other options!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #55  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisydoitView Post
If you buy from them, don't complain about the loss of jobs in the US.

Has nothing to do with still not buying USA products, has to do with the cost of the product and the shipping. Makes no sense other U.S. companies can ship a WHOLE lot cheaper or give you free shipping depending on what you spend. This companies prices have gone up and they give you no,breaks that I am aware of.
I always try to buy USA. Add products, regardless what I purchase, stamping stuff or car mats! 😊
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I think that is a really good idea. I know companies need to change with times. A lot of us really love SU and don't want to see them go under.

Side note about the ink pads. I will admit I am really leery of the new ink pads. I was about ready to order a full set but just in the last three weeks I have seen several ladies over here that have issues with the pads. I am grateful you all bring these issues up. The ladies that have posted about these issues I do trust their knowledge about ink pads.
I've only been doing this for almost 3 years. I decided on STAMPIN' UP! for my ink pad supply, I loved it. Then they came out with the new case design. I don't like using the word "hate", but I HATE the new cases. I have arthritis and I struggle to get these open and when I finally manage to get them open, I have ink all over my hands. I have stopped using them and now I am buying Catherine Pooler minis. I am saving for the Gina K. cubes as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #57  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Part of Alibaba, a Chinese online retail company. Many of their stamp and die designs are stolen, which is very rough on small stamp companies, artists and even local stamp shops that can’t compete with their prices. They hurt our industry and many others.

We really need to remember that when people choose to shop for such illegal items, we contribute to the downfall of the stamping industry we love. The reason for copyright (and patent) law is to encourage artistic creativity by recognizing the creator's right to the use of their designs. If companies can't stay afloat because people are choosing to purchase from China (which does not have copyright laws like ours), then we all ultimately lose out. I believe it also keeps China from responsible labor laws when they can keep undercutting the rest of the world.

I do understand the concern about cost. I'd rather support the creators (stamp companies) while being thoughtful in my purchases. Better to give them some of my money than none of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #58  
Kookie Creator

I find every stamper has a different opinion about Stampin' Up! I have been an on/off hobby demo for about 15 years.
I agree that their products are more expensive but I find they are also better quality.
I am pretty sure they've been offering the SAB discount (free item for every $50 sold) for that entire time. It seems to me that they really do try to keep costs down.

I think they offer the same styles because that's what their customers want. If you missed out on a really cute palm tree design, it would be so great to see one offered again.

Every business wants to increase its sales. They have found what works for them. It might not be what all of us likes, but it has a chance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I've been a hobby demo on and off for about 15 years. They are expensive, but their quality is also so much better, in a lot of cases. Their papers and colors are the best I've seen overall. I truly love not having to snip the dies apart, too. I was so spoiled by Sizzix and SU.

I do agree that SU has its own styles, so it's great to buy what I like from other companies.

Several people have said what I echo: tell SU how you feel. If they hear it from enough people, they will listen and make changes. If you don't tell them, how will they know what to do? Better than leaving them guessing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 05:03 AM   #60  
Watercolor Wizard

I thought I was the only one feeling this way about SU! I am slowly purging my SU stash and replacing with Gina K Designs, Altenew and other awesome companies. I am in LOVE with Gina K Designs and her philosophy and loving spirit. There are many stamping companies that are collaborating now and their spirit of building togetherness of the stamping industry to work together instead of competing is such a heart-filled feeling. I love it!! JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhoffmannView Post
I thought I was the only one feeling this way about SU! I am slowly purging my SU stash and replacing with Gina K Designs, Altenew and other awesome companies. I am in LOVE with Gina K Designs and her philosophy and loving spirit. There are many stamping companies that are collaborating now and their spirit of building togetherness of the stamping industry to work together instead of competing is such a heart-filled feeling. I love it!! JMHO
To your point: Lisa Glanz designs for both Unity (rubber) and The Cat's Pajamas (photopolymer - this one and this one and this one and possibly others), and Stacey yacula designs for both Purple Onion Designs (rubber) and My Favorite Things (photopolymer). Both also have their own websites/Etsy shops, too. Stacey has paperclay figures, fabric and framed/frameable illustrations and greeting cards on hers, Lisa is a digital artist and sells fabulous kits (and the licenses to use them commercially if you want to). She also offers freebies if you sign up for her newsletter. Graciellie Design (Unity) has a website (link is to her home page/blog - click "shop" in the right-hand column) where she sells digital products, as well. Lots of options out there if you're not happy with a current seller and if you look around a bit...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #62  
Kookie Creator

I was SU-only for so many years. They really are a great gateway to stamping, and having demos to show you the ropes is wonderful.

That said, I finally started venturing out more than casually & am loving the variety of stamps out there. It's harder for me to find SU stamps I want, so I think they'll end up dropping me (I'm a hobby demo) when I don't buy enough.

I do think SU is great for quick stamping. One trend today in stamping (it seems to me) is outline designs that we color in with Copics or other markers. Sometimes I just want/need to make a quick card, and SU makes that possible with their 2-step stamping. They aren't the only ones, but it feels like they offer this more than other companies.

I think one of my New Year's Resolutions, so to speak, will be to go through what I have and weed out what I don't use anymore. I want to be more thoughtful about my purchases.

Now, time to play with the Lawn Fawn magic picture changer dies my husband got me for Christmas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #63  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stampin UP Sale-a-bration dissapointment

Quote:

I wish I can see the catalog to see if I want anything. Being on a limited income it's getting the point where I am highly thinking of buying from **********. It's cheaper and pretty much the same products.
I am so glad I found this thread. I have felt the same way about SU for some time. Their prices have really gone up and their incentives have gone down. I don't buy from SU anymore. i buy from ********** all the time and even though the quality is not the same as SU, it suits my purpose. I can buy 10 ********** stamp sets for less than one of the SU of the same design. I know that they are "copying" SU designs for but us that have a passion to stamping and send beautiful cards to our friends, this is an alternative that works. I have not seen anything in the SU catalog I can really say I would buy at the price. I am relieved to know other stampers out there feel the same way. I also buy from ebay when there is set I really want and wait until I see it at a price I can afford. The shipping is much more reasonable and so are the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #64  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I've cut back my order from the new catalog due to the lack of desirable items in the Sale-a-bration. There are a couple of things I love and will get regardless of what I get stuck with from the Sale-a-bration Catalog. But it does make me sad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #65  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss BooView Post
The mini and SAB catalogs have not reached my mailbox yet, but my budget has gotten smaller the past couple of months so I don't except to buy much. I love the color coordination and will probably always buy their paper and ink. What's most disappointing for me is the lack of traditional ribbon. I miss grosgrain ribbon and narrow gingham ribbon. As far as stamps, I simply can't afford SU anymore. I've been using a lot of digital stamps since I like to color cute images. My favorite companies are Whimsy Stamps, Di's Digital stamps, Polkadoodles and Bugaboo. SU doesn't do cute very well. And the SU blending markers run out of ink way too fast and I have called the company about it. They were happy with the feedback. I think it was because I compared them to Copics which is their biggest competition.
Yes, I agree. The SU markers I bought this year have already dried up. The copics I've had for at least 5 years are still going strong. There a big difference in the quality of the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #66  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceforever12View Post
I am so glad I found this thread. I have felt the same way about SU for some time. Their prices have really gone up and their incentives have gone down. I don't buy from SU anymore. i buy from ********** all the time and even though the quality is not the same as SU, it suits my purpose. I can buy 10 ********** stamp sets for less than one of the SU of the same design. I know that they are "copying" SU designs for but us that have a passion to stamping and send beautiful cards to our friends, this is an alternative that works. I have not seen anything in the SU catalog I can really say I would buy at the price. I am relieved to know other stampers out there feel the same way. I also buy from ebay when there is set I really want and wait until I see it at a price I can afford. The shipping is much more reasonable and so are the stamps.
I as well buy from Ali Express due to a limited income. I have only had a problem once or twice from something I purchased, but the store owner has always made it right for me.
After some research on other US companies out there, I was surprised to see that the majority of their products originate from China.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

repetitive so deleted

Last edited by bjeans; 12-25-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 12:37 PM   #68  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I think we've strayed a bit from the OP. Back to our regularly scheduled program! LOL.

I'm hoping SU hears us and makes some changes in the future. As I Said, I'm very happy with the quality of paper and card stock. And I see there are two stamp sets that will go with my current dies, which makes me very happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 05:25 PM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

They are bootleg products. I did not know that and did one order. Every bit of it was flawed in some way and went into the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmhoffmannView Post
I to am slowly switching over to GinaK, love her color coordinations and in my opinion her stamp pads far exceed SU. I DISLIKE the foam pads and can’t get rid of them fast enough. I also think Gina cardstock is far better quality and she has matching envelopes. I have my FAVORITE SU sets but can’t see the big increase in prices.

My blog: http://www.cindyscreativecorner-cindy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2019, 07:12 AM   #71  
Inking Addict

I personally think that people are moving away from MLM'S which is what Stampin Up is. They are starting to go straight to the designers that have their own companies. ********** don't steal as they sell the third of the products.. all the companies get their stock from China. ********** is getting the products from the same manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Boss (07-16-2022)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:30 AM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

This a GREAT topic!!! I love SU and I love other small stamp companies!

With that said I think the lack of incentives for customers is in an effort to force everyone to signup as hobby demos!!! It is really the only way to get SU at a reasonable rate!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #73  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I personally think that people are moving away from MLM'S which is what Stampin Up is. They are starting to go straight to the designers that have their own companies. ********** don't steal as they sell the third of the products.. all the companies get their stock from China. ********** is getting the products from the same manufacturer.

We're not talking about ********** selling the same enamel dots or simple circle dies that everyone and his brother can create.

Some sellers go and take artwork from the internet-- like images stamp companies use to show their images-- and submit that to a manufacturer as their own and run off substandard versions. Sometimes this means they use acrylic or silicone for stamps rather than photopolymer like US manufacturers. Sometimes they end up with the wrong scale because they just took a picture from the internet-- it's why some people have ordered "matching" dies from ********** only to find they don't fit the stamps. My Favorite Things and Love Cynthia and Pretty Pink Posh have absolutely not authorized anyone on ********** to be selling their stamp images.

This is why MFT has a link for you to report counterfeits. It's why Greeting Farm has started distorting the images for the stamps online. It's why Mama Elephant no longer shows me a nice image of the stamp outlines but instead photographs the stamp set at an angle. It's why many companies have added huge watermarks to their images.

Because unscrupulous people are stealing the work of others to make a buck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #74  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hang on...Kathy (muscrat) why do I feel like their answer to you was as if they were talking to a demo and not an end user customer? (talking about balance between company profit and demos)

I thought your point about getting more new product that interweaves with old is an excellent one. Which frankly most companies might give a go. There is some sentiment set out there that Werner was just using in the 25 days of cards that cuts like 10 of them at once and the company is making more stamp sets for it.

There does seem to be a re-sale market for SU. (I still have not found a swallowtail butterfly I can afford) which honestly I don't get. I don't feel the artwork is strong enough for that but that's just me.

I don't think any one needs to resort to Alibaba and the 40 thieves to get product at more reasonable prices. Just check out the clearance bins. It is not much different than clothes. Sooner or later most things end up in there. At a mfg you could get really deep discounts...at a gen supplier they will start moving them out much faster to make room.

Back to the subject though. It is sad to me. SU built up a virtual army of customers and I am seeing them march out the door now....the point has been well made. Too much competition to do this. Better they should (imho) dump the plastic box/cover and drop the price. The ONLY reason I keep the sets I have in them is for re-sale even though I have no expectation of getting 30 dollars. I mean, are those boxes that important to you guys? Could be good for like 5 bucks off even though I am sure they are only paying 50 cents-1 dollar for them in bulk. It's the cache effect.

Maybe they should do town halls. But dont they see sales dropping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #75  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Back to the subject though. It is sad to me. SU built up a virtual army of customers and I am seeing them march out the door now....the point has been well made. Too much competition to do this. Better they should (imho) dump the plastic box/cover and drop the price. The ONLY reason I keep the sets I have in them is for re-sale even though I have no expectation of getting 30 dollars. I mean, are those boxes that important to you guys? Could be good for like 5 bucks off even though I am sure they are only paying 50 cents-1 dollar for them in bulk. It's the cache effect.

Well, they are important to me and I'd be frustrated if they stopped offering them completely, but they could always offer the option of not having a box, in the same way that Whipper Snapper has the ability to let you choose unmounted, cling mounted, or wood mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #76  
Insane Embellisher

Default Boxes

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Well, they are important to me and I'd be frustrated if they stopped offering them completely, but they could always offer the option of not having a box, in the same way that Whipper Snapper has the ability to let you choose unmounted, cling mounted, or wood mounted.
I paid 86cents each for 100 and I am sure they pay way less. I cannot imagine that is why they are expensive. No doubt they have a nice product but the whole multi level marketing thing seems unsustainable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #77  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
I've cut back my order from the new catalog due to the lack of desirable items in the Sale-a-bration. There are a couple of things I love and will get regardless of what I get stuck with from the Sale-a-bration Catalog. But it does make me sad!
Don't forget they may well release additional SAB items around mid-Feb. Those might appeal to you more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 05:08 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuLillaView Post
Don't forget they may well release additional SAB items around mid-Feb. Those might appeal to you more!

March 3 per SAB brochure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That's a good point Emily. They could offer them separately. I would be interested to see what the difference would be. Just because something is cheap to get does not mean a company sells it cheap, esp if it is part of their "look". I personally think the markup for the woods is excessive.

If I was in marketing and looking for "hooks" (in this case one does not have to think about a storage system other than a shelf or box) finding cheap ones (cost not quality) is a huge deal. You get to mark up more without cost.

I don't know what to think about the mega sellers. A million seems like a serious benchmark...and many companies do the trip thing for top performers. Think about it-how much would it cost you to do a cruise? I keep hearing it can be done for 2K or less for a week. (I never have done it) Now if I want to buy "bulk" so to speak I am sure the cruise companies give them a better deal. Do they get airfare to the boat bc that is a big ticket item...did they pay for hotels at destinations or even activities? If they are staying onboard and just doing events in a room there...I dont know how much that would be for SU. KWIM? (know what I mean?) I dont know how many they do this for etc.

Sigh. The Ton is expensive. Altenew can be expensive. As said above SU is not the only one. Birch Press is crazy expensive on their layering dies. etc etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckstampcrazyView Post
This a GREAT topic!!! I love SU and I love other small stamp companies!

With that said I think the lack of incentives for customers is in an effort to force everyone to signup as hobby demos!!! It is really the only way to get SU at a reasonable rate!!!

I was one of their hobby demonstrators years ago and of course, my best customer. The only advantage I found in savings is that it about covered postage, never really any price over the item itself. Since I was my best customer, I bought all the papers, all the inks, etc. Luckily it was still when then had decent felt pads. I invested in the reinkers, I am pretty much set for life in that regard, but after a while I just found that they retire their stamps so quickly and as a demonstrator, you may still love a stamp set, but it became worthless as far as using it in cardmaking that you had to share with customers, because those stamps were no longer available to them. Of course, I never parted with very many of mine as I was more interested in the art and not the sales, but I find that so many of the "new" stamps are either very trendy that will not last long or just a slightly done redo of their other sets, so that demonstrators are strapped to having to buy them if they are trying to build some customer base.

And I do love their papers, but they would make only a slight change in their colors too for that same marketable trap.

There were no real incentives for being a hobby demonstrators either because you had to meet a minimal requirement to stay an active demonstrator and when it got that less and less was offered that I really wanted that I didn't already have, I really saw no advantage of even being a demonstrator. So when I really only loved stamping, not building a business pyramid, I decided to give it up.

I do love all the products I have from them. And even though there are many frustrating things about being a demonstrator, it got me started in my supplies for stamping at a time 20 years ago, when supplies were harder to come by.
Reply With Quote Likes