Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Stampin’ Up adhesive issue on cling stamps

Hi all. While I was cataloging all my stamps (putting stamped images into a binder) I came across two sets from SU! where I could not remove the cling rubber stamps from the inside of the cases without losing the decal…or part of it. Those sets have not been used for about one year. I also found a few newer stamps I bought a month or so ago that also were TOO sticky when I tried to remove them.
Anyone else notice this with their stamps? And yes, I did make sure they were mounted correctly. That was the first thing I checked. The sad part is if the decal is gone, the cushion is not fun to work with.
Thanks to anyone who can help. The demonstrator has no clue what’s going on.
Kathy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Molsmom (09-01-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 06:17 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Following as I found the "clear" stamps didn't stick to the blocks or positioning platform and the "cling", when mounted properly were way too sticky and stuck to everything, including me. I bought the adhesive from Stampin' Up to put on the "clear" stamps, but found that the adhesive pulls off and sticks to the positioner or block. There has to be a happy medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

When I cant get cling or clear to stick...I clean it. Sometimes just water and something with a mild cleaner. that usually works

I got nothing about the decals/cling. Maybe write to SU central? Is that possible?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
Blythe Stamps (08-31-2021), ConnieB17 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 11:27 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no problems getting my stamps to stick to the acrylic blocks…IF I can even get them out of the case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2021, 04:21 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowowlView Post
Following as I found the "clear" stamps didn't stick to the blocks or positioning platform and the "cling", when mounted properly were way too sticky and stuck to everything, including me. I bought the adhesive from Stampin' Up to put on the "clear" stamps, but found that the adhesive pulls off and sticks to the positioner or block. There has to be a happy medium.
Glad you mentioned your problem with the SU cling adhesive strips because I was considering buying some to use with those old cling stamps that never did cling well. I think I'll just stick to double sided tape instead, which is what I was having to use.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy9sView Post
Hi all. While I was cataloging all my stamps (putting stamped images into a binder) I came across two sets from SU! where I could not remove the cling rubber stamps from the inside of the cases without losing the decal…or part of it. Those sets have not been used for about one year. I also found a few newer stamps I bought a month or so ago that also were TOO sticky when I tried to remove them.
Anyone else notice this with their stamps? And yes, I did make sure they were mounted correctly. That was the first thing I checked. The sad part is if the decal is gone, the cushion is not fun to work with.
Kathy
I wonder if putting the stamp sets (in their case) into the refrigerator or freezer for a short time would cause them to let go of the case without the decal sticking. Cold temperatures often cause sticky things to be less tacky temporarily. Then you can try washing the cling part and see if that helps.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by kazeka:
fl_beachbum (08-26-2021), JR23 (08-31-2021), pepperann (08-26-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

I have other stamps that used to be mounted to wood. I removed the wood and the foam, mounted the rubber to EZ Mount StampNStore, then added a thin drizzle of Tombow glue to the cushion foam. After it dried overnight, it’s the best for clinging to an acrylic block…even 3 years later👍🏼
Reply With Quote Likes
promisefaith2002 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 05:40 AM   #8  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

Try the spatula end of the Take your pick tool to slide under and get it started lifting off the case?
I usually just use my finger nails, but if you haven't any then you'll need a tool. just make sure you are under the sticker part.

once you get them unstuck... I usually stick the newer SU cling stamps to my shirt or arms a few sticks, that makes them a little less sticky, but still sticky enough.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by leibetty:
ConnieB17 (08-31-2021), robotpixiedesigns (08-31-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

They changed the cling on the stamps a couple of years ago. (Sorry I can't remember exactly when...) Sorry you are having this issue. Hopefully one of the tips above will help you to be able to remove your stamps and use them. The idea to put them in the fridge seems like a good idea and not likely to damage the stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Stampin' Up had a few issues for awhile. First the cling didn't work and then it seems to work too well. My answer to the problem is not to use the stickers at all. They never seemed to help me with positioning so I haven't missed them.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by rockybeta:
Alice in Md (08-26-2021), berlycece (08-31-2021), ChrisO (08-26-2021), cjzim (08-26-2021), fl_beachbum (08-26-2021), from the heart (08-31-2021), Laura339 (08-26-2021), lesliespringer (09-02-2021), mungojerry (09-04-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:11 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cling is so sticky.

Stampin Up does not recommend this as this is just a Kelly recommendation.
Because the cling is so sticky and I have had issues with the stamp sticking so well that it doesn't like to come off the block without fear of tearing, I ALWAYS stick it to my clothes when I mount them before I put them in the case or on the block. It just makes it a little less tacky. The other tip I have if you can't seem to get them off the block is my Take your Pick Tool with the flat spatula end, I work it up under the stamp and lift it that way.
I did get the cling adhesive sheets from SU and use them on the old clear mount stamps, though I do find on small sayings, which is what I need them for most, the cling sticks to the block verses the stamp when removing. Wondering if there is a right and wrong side to the cling or maybe I just leave a small block with the cling strip to it and use that one for those small sayings.
Reply With Quote Likes
promisefaith2002 (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:44 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have no problems getting my stamps to stick to the acrylic blocks…IF I can even get them out of the case.
Quite awhile ago, I read that if your stamps won't stick to an acrylic block, rub the back with bees wax (I use Burt Bee's Lip Balm) and it has worked great for me. It's not a permanent fix and you do need to reapply from time to time. And, I do occasionally clean the backs as well. I don't have much SU so I am not familiar with the decal problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 09:14 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do what @leibetty said and just use my Take Your Pick tool, or anything with a pokey end to it to peel up one corner, then can usually get the rest off myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 09:38 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Stampin' Up had a few issues for awhile. First the cling didn't work and then it seems to work too well. My answer to the problem is not to use the stickers at all. They never seemed to help me with positioning so I haven't missed them.
Yes, indeed SU has had some serious issues with their stamps! They now seem to be middle of the road! I just cannot use mine without the labels -- I do see demonstrators doing that, but mine come up crooked every time if I try it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Verdymae (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Un-du

I've never used this product but Creek Bank Creations (a craft company) raves about Un-do. It removes adhesive property, but it's only temporary and quick temporary at that. The product is available on Amazon, Walmart and Joann's, and probably other places I didn't see. Let us know what works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 12:25 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=snowowl;22109043 I bought the adhesive from Stampin' Up to put on the "clear" stamps, but found that the adhesive pulls off and sticks to the positioner or block. [/QUOTE]

When the adhesive holds to the block better that it does to the stamp, the sticky strips are on backwards. Ask me how I figured this out :p
Reply With Quote Likes
cailinriley (09-06-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default washi tape works!

Hi, the secret to the new Stampin' Up! rubber stamps is washi tape. I love having the decals on my stamps. When I get a new set, I add the decals then add a small piece of washi tape to one edge of the sticker side. This allows me to easily remove the rubber stamp from the case and from the block. My fingernails are short and too flimsy to grab the sticker edge. Also helpful if you have hand problems like arthritis. If you pull up from the stamp itself, it can leave the sticker behind or damage the foam part of the stamp. Hope you give it a try. Works great for me. I even save the remaining "sticker" and use it on my older rubber stamps that don't want to stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Emilysuesue (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 283 Likes on 183 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
Agreed!

In the early days of these unmounted stamps, I couldn't get stamps to stay on my blocks if I used the stickers, so I just tossed the stickers.

Then I decided to save the stickers; I stick them in my stamp case so I can keep track of stamps (i.e. do I have them all in the case.)

Now, I have stuck them to some stamps, but the glue is SO sticky and gooey I get frustrated. I have poor hand coordination as it is. Stamping is a good way to keep my hands active, but I don't need extra hassle.
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 03:53 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clear mount

I was having issues getting clear mount to stick to the block until someone suggested rubbing the back of the stamp against my clothes to create static before mounting on the block. This has worked very well for me.

As for cling mount, I haven't liked it, so I don't mount the sticker on the foam. I also worry about how long the cling mount will work before losing it's integrity. I just use the foam with no image. The foam clings well without being difficult to dismount from the block. I wish Stampin' Up could just print the image directly onto the foam. I mean, come on! No other company charges this much and still expects the customer to mount the image!

On a side note, I hate the adhesive that keeps the dies on the tag board. Why can't they step it up and give a magnet sheet with the dies like Close To My Heart does?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

I have to use my fingernails sometimes to get the stamp off the stamp case, but usually I can get them off without much problem.. My bigger frustration is that the adhesive that holds the sticker to the stamp gets vey soft and starts letting the sticker slide around on the stamp. It sometimes remains stuck to the case, but not to the stamp. I do live where it gets HOT, but my stamp room is air conditioned! I usually just stick them back on when I find them off, but it is frustrating that they get slippery and gooey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Have you tried dental floss to break the seal between the stamp and the case?
Reply With Quote Likes
leibetty (09-01-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Default Another Thought...

Quote:

Kathy
Kathy,
I'm not sure why your cling rubber stamps (the new ones with the really sticky decal, right?) won't release, however, when they first came out, I remember reading somewhere about not leaving them on clear blocks overnight or attached to the stamp case to avoid this issue. I always save the piece of waxy paper that the decals came on and stick my assembled stamps to those.

For those who have issues with the clear mount (red rubber with decals that don't adhere very well), use Chapstick on the decals before putting them on clear blocks. Not sure why that works, but it does - and is less messy than other things I've tried.

Good luck!
Jayne Stenstrom

Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (09-02-2021)