Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #81  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 07-14-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #82  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How frustrating! I hate errors like that because i refuse to use a sentiment with a mistake. Quite often, commas are missed:

Ex. Hello friend

rather than

Hello, friend

From masterclass.com:

A classic example of the importance of commas with nouns of direct address is found in these two example sentences:

• Let’s eat Grandpa!

• Let’s eat, Grandpa!

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kazeka (07-22-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #83  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pamela16View Post

Jane, it’s rife in Australia too.  'I could OF done that'. I just want to shout!!  And sadly, because so many people use it incorrectly, it starts to become normal.  Like 'Myself and John went to….'  Aaarrghhh!!! �

Yes, it's making its way into print, unfortunately.. In Australia do you hear these, too:

John was SAT here for a long time. (should be "sitting")

The weather is HOTTING up now. (should be "heating")

I WAS MEANT to go to the store (should be "I intended to go...")

There are typos and there are poor grammar. Typos can be forgiven, especially when predictive text is the problem. 

And by the way, I don't know why this message has such huge space between sentences. Not my doing!

Old 07-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #84  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 405 Posts

Yes, everyone's complaining about the spacing! Plus, I can't drag across text anymore, either. Pfft. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #85  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was watching Tim’s presentation of the new release on You Tube and noticed “it’s” right away. I thought Tim might catch the error if he read the sentiment out loud, but he did not. During the presentation, Tim did say, “by design, we embrace our imperfections” when he was referring to the set called Bold Sayings and the fact that the words themselves were purposely made to not print in an evenly, solid manner. Stampers know how hard it is to get ink applied evenly to large, solid stamps and that it is, often, even harder to apply pressure to the stamp to get every spot to print. Tim was saying that a person doesn’t need to worry about getting even coloring with the stamps in the Bold Sayings set because they are made to print unevenly in the first place.

This makes me wonder if Tim actually said “embrace imperfection” concerning the misuse of “it’s” or if Stampers Anonymous was using it outside of Tim’s original context. 

I did send Tim an email to [email protected] which was listed in the information in the YouTube description, but I haven’t received a reply. 

We might also consider the misuse of “fewer” and “less,” “alot” when the spelling should be “a lot,” “your” when the person actually wants to use the contraction “you’re” for “you are.”

Years ago, when I was hired to teach sixth grade in a building that had changed from a High School to a Jr H S to an Intermediate School for Grades 5 and 6, I found a framed paper print of an old-fashioned sampler that had the quote:

“There is so much good in the worst of us, And so much bad in the best of us, That it little behooves any of us To talk about the rest of us. J.M.”  The whole sampler had the initials H.J.M. at the bottom. I have no idea if the initials are for real people or an artist’s print, but the message remains worthy.

Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #86  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only grammar police around here. My eye just seems to catch mistakes easily. I should have been a proofreader. When I make mistakes, it's usually because the tablet or phone changes what I've said. I can look at those scramble word puzzles and see the real word almost instantly. It's just the way my brain works. I recently saw a company logo misspelled. I instantly think they must not have proofreaders. I have been known to rewrite a sentence because I'm not quite sure of the proper grammar to use. Many times I see the word drug instead of dragged. And I cringe when someone says I seen it! However, I put people over my need to be right and will let something pass so as not to hurt feelings. I wouldn't want them to think I'm making fun of them but they're adults and I'm not going to correct them. I have a friend who says pacific instead of specific. I know what she's talking about so I just let it go. The latest thing I see is the word prolly instead of probably. I'm not sure I get that. Is it a shortened version of the word, even though they only save typing two letters? Or is that how they think it is spelled?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #87  
Proud Fan Club Member

Just watch Judge Judy. Many times people say "I borrowed him the money" instead of "I loaned him the money." You loan, he borrows. My DH says dest instead of desk! Drives me batty, but I love him and he doesn't need to be corrected time after time. His mom always said cocornut instead of coconut! And warshed instead of washed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #88  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

When I was working for European Italians 30 plus years ago (Ack where does it go??)....one of them said she wanted to ask me something about what she was hearing on the streets.

I stopped her there and said "I bet you are talking about the "we bees". She blinked at me. I said this is my name for people who do not conjugate the verb to be so it becomes I be, you be, she/he be, we be, they be. She started nodding. I just shrugged and said please do not try to learn English listening to people on the street. Especially in NYC where we have 250 languages so the bastardization is massive. Forget about accents. That is the least of our problems around here LOL. Some of the best English I have ever heard has been from people from Africa and India.

Having said that, I am certainly nowhere close to perfect myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Just watch Judge Judy. Many times people say "I borrowed him the money" instead of "I loaned him the money." You loan, he borrows. My DH says dest instead of desk! Drives me batty, but I love him and he doesn't need to be corrected time after time. His mom always said cocornut instead of coconut! And warshed instead of washed.
I've noticed regional difference in the way words are pronounced, and have heard "warshed" before. My husband, who has two advanced degrees (and minored in English) still uses incorrect grammar in a few cases, due to having heard it all his life. It used to confuse me, until I heard his mom and all of his relatives say it as well! Can't say I've ever heard someone pronounce coconut as cocornut though.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
muscrat (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post

I LOVE this thread! Feel like I've found a whole new group of friends who understand! LOL!

My question is: do you ever correct your friends? I have two friends who constantly start a sentence with "Her and I ....etc." It is just sad...and both are college grads. I truly don't understand.

What about correct children? I have corrected my granddaughter (10) who loves to begin sentences with "Me".... Me and my mom, etc. She knows better, but it seems to have become a major habit. I've backed off for the time being, as I don't want to constantly nag her...and she's only 10!

I never correct either friends or family over grammatical errors, except for my husband (as he asked me to). When my grand kids make an error or mispronounce a word, I don't correct them directly. Instead, I repeat what they said, but use the correct pronunciation. Sometimes they catch it and correct themselves, and other times they don't. I just hope they get it eventually. What's cute when a two old says it, is not attractive in an adult ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

The latest thing I see is the word prolly instead of probably. I'm not sure I get that. Is it a shortened version of the word, even though they only save typing two letters? Or is that how they think it is spelled?
I believe this is a dialect thing (spoken as a native Missourian who understands and can speak hillbilly and redneck fluently, but can code switch to correct grammar as well).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Julie/MO:
lylacfey (08-01-2021), muscrat (07-22-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 05:56 AM   #92  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

The latest thing I see is the word prolly instead of probably. I'm not sure I get that. Is it a shortened version of the word, even though they only save typing two letters? Or is that how they think it is spelled?
Yes, PROLLY! I can't understand that one. I've never heard anyone say that, so I don't understand why anyone would write it. If you can read, you know what the word is. I started seeing this a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
cnsteele (07-23-2021), muscrat (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #93  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I've never thought about this before, but clearly you are right! Maybe a few emails to the stamp companies to show them the error of their ways? Would be interesting to see the response...
I sent an email to the company and heard nothing from them. I am not even sure they received the email, but I am assuming they did and chose to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #94  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickie48View Post
Oh, boy. I could add many, many items to this list. I agree that Tim's reply could have been more sensitive, although he was tactful. I grew up when proper grammar and spelling were taught and expected. I understand that some people just aren't "words" people, similar to me not being a "math" person. I hear some of the worst grammar on my favorite local news station, usually spoken by the young anchors and reporters. Why are they not given a copy of Edwin Newman's book Strictly Speaking? The more people who hear English spoken incorrectly, the more people will repeat the errors until the errors are accepted as correct. My "favorite" is "My hubby and I's new car" or whatever other atrocity is concocted with the (supposed) possessive of "I". It should be: "My hubby's and my new car. . . ."
Or even more concise: Our new car....

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #95  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCinkitView Post
To a friend who makes me smile
My preference would be: to a friend who creates smiles.....Makes me smile 9How? physically? isn't that abuse? or how about to a friend who brings smiles....or lots of other ways....friend who causes me to smile

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
My preference would be: to a friend who creates smiles.....Makes me smile 9How? physically? isn't that abuse? or how about to a friend who brings smiles....or lots of other ways....friend who causes me to smile
Hi Pansy. My response was to the discussion of the incorrect grammar used on a Stampin Up sentiment stamp which reads: "to a friend that makes me smile". The words THAT should be WHO.
We were not discussing preference.

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Alice in Md (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Yes, PROLLY! I can't understand that one. I've never heard anyone say that, so I don't understand why anyone would write it. If you can read, you know what the word is. I started seeing this a few years ago.
Haha, guilty here! I say 'prolly' all the time and have started writing it too (not in anything formal though). I love it and think it's more expressive than the original word.
I'm more relaxed about the comma situation although I notice it and am also guilty
As for stamps, though, those are permanent -- not like a quick text or message online, which won't bother me as much -- so a mistake on a stamp is definitely not ok with me. If I see a mistake, I won't buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #98  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
Haha, guilty here! I say 'prolly' all the time and have started writing it too (not in anything formal though). I love it and think it's more expressive than the original word.
I'm more relaxed about the comma situation although I notice it and am also guilty
As for stamps, though, those are permanent -- not like a quick text or message online, which won't bother me as much -- so a mistake on a stamp is definitely not ok with me. If I see a mistake, I won't buy it.
I'm curious (not being argumentative or critical). Can you explain what you mean by "prolly" being more expressive than "probably"?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
lesliespringer (07-26-2021), muscrat (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:06 AM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I'm curious (not being argumentative or critical). Can you explain what you mean by "prolly" being more expressive than "probably"?
Oh sure, well I can try anyway... it's the way I hear it in my head when I'm writing, like I would hear it spoken.
Kinda like 'kinda' or 'gonna' would sound, now we often write them that way.
So you could draw out the word, 'prooollllly' in a teasing tone or say it fast that to me would mean 'yes'
To me 'prolly' is more musical than 'probably' and I can say 'prolly' more ways than 'probably'
'Probably' has a harder sound to me and I don't hear as many different inflections as 'prolly,' which seems more rolling...
Hmm wow this is hard just writing! I'm saying it out loud as I type but somehow that isn't helping lol.
I will add that I first saw the word in a book years and years ago, and when I read it, I thought YES that is totally how I say it, and from then on PROLLY was one of my words.
No idea if this answers your question, or if it even makes sense to anyone but me, but that's as good as I can explain it
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by RenT:
CraftyMel2 (07-25-2021), leibetty (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

Also I would add, I'd buy a stamp that said 'prolly' or 'kinda' or 'gonna' since they are more like slang to me, but I wouldn't buy one with the wrong ITS!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by RenT:
fl_beachbum (08-01-2021), leibetty (07-26-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #101  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Oh sure, well I can try anyway... it's the way I hear it in my head when I'm writing, like I would hear it spoken.
So you could draw out the word, 'prooollllly' in a teasing tone or say it fast that to me would mean 'yes'
To me 'prolly' is more musical than 'probably' and I can say 'prolly' more ways than 'probably'
'Probably' has a harder sound to me and I don't hear as many different inflections as 'prolly,' which seems more rolling...
Hmm wow this is hard just writing! I'm saying it out loud as I type but somehow that isn't helping lol.
I will add that I first saw the word in a book years and years ago, and when I read it, I thought YES that is totally how I say it, and from then on PROLLY was one of my words.
No idea if this answers your question, or if it even makes sense to anyone but me, but that's as good as I can explain it
I understand and agree. I'm not sure how someone who can read and understand English could not understand what "prolly" means in the context of a sentence or comment. I think it's more of a criticizm than a lack of understanding. I've also been known to type "prob'ly" in a text or comment which would cause the pedantic folks to have an aneurism I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
RenT (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #102  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I think I understand what you're saying. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #103  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I understand and agree. I'm not sure how someone who can read and understand English could not understand what "prolly" means in the context of a sentence or comment. I think it's more of a criticizm than a lack of understanding. I've also been known to type "prob'ly" in a text or comment which would cause the pedantic folks to have an aneurism I'm sure.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I'll clarify anyway. I didn't mean that I didn't understand what someone meant when saying "prolly." I meant that I didn't understand why someone would use it instead of "probably." I'm still not sure I do understand the preference, but it's not a hill I want to die on. With that, I shall take my leave of this thread. Be safe and well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Survey........
Everything's going to be ok.
Everything's going to be okay.
Everything's going to be OK.

Does one look more right, or is there one that would make you say 'no thanks'?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #105  
Proud Fan Club Member

I prefer number 2. But I'd buy any of them, especially if the font was awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
mphb (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #106  
Glitter Guru

The third one looks the most grammatically correct to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #107  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default OK!

Quote:

I prefer number 2. But I'd buy any of them, especially if the font was awesome.
Any of the three actually are OK, ok with me....I had to laugh with the comment about an awesome font! I used to be a "font collector"....now not quite so much. I also appreciate a beautiful font!
Reply With Quote Likes
muscrat (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #108  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wrong, right, right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Survey........
Everything's going to be ok.
Everything's going to be okay.
Everything's going to be OK.

Does one look more right, or is there one that would make you say 'no thanks'?
The first one is wrong, and the other two are correct.

Webster8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #109  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I would prefer the second, possibly the third, but not the first.

I remember reading ages ago that OK came into use from someone (a president?) using it to mark portions of a document as "OLL KORRECT" (all correct). Which would mean the last one is the only korrect one LOL. Is anyone else familiar with this story?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #110  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

I've never heard that story, but I agree with your preference. I always right out okay and I would use a stamp that said OK, but never lower case ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #111  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I would prefer the second, possibly the third, but not the first.

I remember reading ages ago that OK came into use from someone (a president?) using it to mark portions of a document as "OLL KORRECT" (all correct). Which would mean the last one is the only korrect one LOL. Is anyone else familiar with this story?
Found this on Google:
mid 19th century (originally US): probably an abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren's re-election campaign of 1840 in the US; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #112  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a serious learning disability so I am not going to judge anyone for their grammar.
I am not mad that Tim & SA made a mistake on the stamp. Things like that happen all the time. I don't like SA's response. It was flippant. I am surprised they didn't issue a statement but maybe they are just Covid stressed, fed up & tired. I get it & understand.
A lot of us are under a great deal of stress right now. Maybe the proofreader was tired, distracted by personal stressors, etc... Fact- Stress makes learning disabilities worse even when you have the tools to help with your disability.
I am all about embracing imperfection. Maybe SA was getting calls, e-mails, all day about this and they just had it & that was the flippant stressed out response. I know my year of 2020 was all about flippant stressed out responses.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 11:39 PM   #113  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie/MOView Post
I believe this is a dialect thing (spoken as a native Missourian who understands and can speak hillbilly and redneck fluently, but can code switch to correct grammar as well).
You know we are one of the areas of the world who get the side eye all the time for our language, lol. Warshed, Prolly, Youens. I have a lot of friends who say those words and some of them are doctor's & teacher's. I bet you have a few friends too. I don't know how many times I have been scolded for not saying opossum with an O. I always leave the O off, lol. I get scolded for saying Missouri incorrectly. I am like "Love, I live here. I know how to say it!" When I was getting my vaccination I heard this sweet lady on the phone say "I am getting my secand vaceenation." I admit that made me giggle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #114  
Proud Fan Club Member

We say youens and ongyons (onions)! LOL But I think the difference is, I wouldn't buy a stamp that had an obvious error. I would never correct someone for how they spoke, but my eyes catch the errors easily. You know those word scramble puzzles? I can look at the scrambled word and see the word it is supposed to be! In the famous words of that TV detective, Monk, it's a blessing and a curse! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-07-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:51 AM   #115  
Proud Fan Club Member

My oldest son is dyslexic and, at the age of 38, still writes some letters backwards and spells phonetically. I can read it because I sound it out and figure out what he was saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #116  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
You know we are one of the areas of the world who get the side eye all the time for our language, lol. Warshed, Prolly, Youens. I have a lot of friends who say those words and some of them are doctor's & teacher's. I bet you have a few friends too. I don't know how many times I have been scolded for not saying opossum with an O. I always leave the O off, lol. I get scolded for saying Missouri incorrectly. I am like "Love, I live here. I know how to say it!" When I was getting my vaccination I heard this sweet lady on the phone say "I am getting my secand vaceenation." I admit that made me giggle.
I always leave off the "O" as well. And my grandmother used to say Misurrah and Ha-why-ya instead of Missour-ee and Hawa-eee. I live in Utah where they pronounce the city of Hurricane as Hurr-kin so I'm used to it, too. It was funny, yesterday I heard on the news of fires in California in Greenville and I messaged my friend in Guernville thinking the news had just said it wrong - turns out Greenville is just next to Guernville so I had a good laugh at that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
lylacfey (08-07-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #117  
Proud Fan Club Member

There are way too many ways to pronounce worcestershire sauce! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by muscrat:
CraftyMel2 (08-06-2021), Renata Joyner (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #118  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 656 Likes on 405 Posts

Living in a country where an approximation of Queen's English is spoken, I know it's meant to be said: wista-shurr
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #119  
Proud Fan Club Member

DH says wor-chester-shire! LOL. I say wusta sheer....
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #120  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

DH says wor-chester-shire! LOL. I say wusta sheer....
I say Wershesher :lolo:
Reply With Quote Likes
muscrat (08-07-2021)