Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I know my craft room needs new furniture with a bigger workspace and a hell of a lot more drawer units, so preparatory to diving into that purchase, I've been cataloguing my stamps, dies, stencils and embossing folders, using the opportunity to put a bunch of stuff in a box that I know I won't use again so I can sell it online. I'm not using a fancy inventory system, just making exemplars and pasting them on sheets of paper and putting them in page protectors in notebooks, trying to keep like things together. I'm not done yet, but already I have decided not to buy a few of the newer things out that I wanted, because now I know I already have things that are, as they say, "close enough for government work" (I can say this as a retired bureaucrat myself).

I've discovered that I never again will need to buy (a) alphabet stamps or dies, (b) nesting shape dies, (c) background stamps, (d) floral and leaf stamps or dies, and (e) typewriter stamps or dies! I also will never need any more sentiment stamps unless they're hysterically funny (which means I have to be careful not to visit Riley & Co or Carmen's Veranda...). And paper! Don't get me started on paper! I could stock a store. I moderate a Facebook page that aggregates sales at craft suppliers, so I've become good at waiting until there's a sale when I DO want something.

Likes and dislikes are just a matter of taste; your mileage will vary. Personally, I don't like cute/cartoon stuff, gnomes, Halloween imagery, or religious stuff. I don't color much, so stamps made specifically for coloring don't appeal to me, but I'm a total fool for anything slimline.

Last edited by LemurLover; 08-18-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by LemurLover:
Bohodiva (08-17-2021), Chris4436 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Lately I'm more likely to buy a vintage collectible stamp than a new release. I love the artwork that was licensed by Stamps Happen and I have been collecting stamps by Nancy Cole (specifically the sweet little beachy boy and girl images, some are also from Inkadinkado) and Cicely Mary Barker (flower fairies and some others), the Renaissance line they had (I'm just missing the knight!), geishas/kimonos from Limited Edition and Judikins.... I have a collection of ridiculous frogs from Stampa Barbara. Classic Pooh. House Mouse.

New stamps too... if I do see something I like, I either don't have the money to get it or I remind myself that I haven't used the last new stamps I bought and I don't deserve another purchase, so that depresses me enough to stifle the urge. *sigh*

I have my own stamp line - I do like those! and I truly try to steer clear of themes that 'everyone else' is doing, which is why there were pomegranates in my last release, and there will be puffins in the spring.

That said... Evernote tells me I do have some obsessions, which include 228 beach stamps, 387 birds,191 bunnies, 354 girls, 161 roses, and 224 silhouettes.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by dini:
Chris4436 (08-25-2021), kazeka (08-19-2021), LemurLover (08-18-2021), wavejumper (08-21-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 03:15 PM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

"I'm full" is usually my response to all the email invitations to buy all the new offerings and clearance sales. I am waiting for sentiment stamps that express something I can use. I don't need mushy Love you forever, or You're my one and only. There are people who need a card who just lost a parent, spouse or relative that they may not have had a good relationship with, and I have to go cruising online for a fitting phrase to print out for their card. There are people who need a card who have a problem from which they will not recover (I have seen some suitable sentiments in the past).
We need sentiment stamps for sick or injured or recovering people that are not "ordering" them to Get Well. I have One wood mount old one: I hope this finds you feeling better... In a somewhat childish font that I don't want to use often. I have even contacted some stamp companies suggesting they make something like that.... No response.
I have my floral stamps separated into "realistic" and "fun flowers" And need no more.
I foolishly bought a Cutesy stamp set years ago and used it once.
I recently bought some more Scripture stamps from Divinity because I stamp a suitable scripture on the inside of the front of each card. Plus they had 30% off ! I'm loving the Greetery designs, but not all fit my style.....I'm also Shopping my Stash a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
kazeka (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 04:18 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Like many of you seasoned stampers/card makers I've collected, stamped, purged, collected... for over 30 yrs now.
My collection of substrates, mediums, tools (electronics and manual), is just as good or better than what they're pushing on the market. Instead I'm shopping my stash and using products I already have for designing cards, I'm saving money and finally USING up my stash.

As for themes...
I like art stamps: ethnic, nature, tribal, greenery, architecture, elements...themes that can be used for any occasion...I'm sick of: butterflies, I will not by another butterfly anything, floral paper, antique distressed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Dini... your comment regarding having things you have not used yet... I was running into the same thing! I leave the new things on my desk, not allowing myself to put them away until I've actually used them at least twice. I like having a clean desk so - wow - has this helped! I get tempted by something then see those items sitting there, waiting for attention. STARING AT ME! lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Bohodiva (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I like this discussion too. Like we are sitting around with a coffee....

Karen-
I wonder if the pandemic and the TP theme opened the door to the poop but there was the emoji movie and a poop character was around a lot.

From Liz:

So I am still collecting stencils as I find them fascinating, and I am always on the look out for great quotes or scripture stamps in interesting or bold fonts. My craft budget is a little more limiting now that I live on a fixed income being retired. But it is the nice owning almost a whole craft store in my stamping room, most of which I purchased while I was still working. It was my retirement plan. I knew I could stay busy daily trying to deplete that stash. Even with that said,
I cannot resist a good bargain ever so any 50% and 75% bargains often find their way into my shopping basket!!

That is definitely me too. A Colorful Life is dangerous for me-so many stencils I want there! And unlike other products, stencils and embossing folders are much cheaper. The new 3D wave in embossing folders is so fun. Looks so great with the gilding pastes...I saw that in my LSS. And I am a total deep sale addict but I am getting better! I looked at 1250 things in the clearance bin at 123 stitch and only put 2 in my basket and one is already kicked out again.
Even though things have loosened up a bit with COVID lately, now the Delta variant is causing me to continue most of my social contacts online instead of in person. So, coffee and donut time...here I come!
Amazing to know, but apparently, the poop emoji first showed up years before COVID. It began in Japan in the 1990's and debuted in the US in 2007. Yikes! The pandemic and TP shortage probably made it more well known to older people, but it had a life of its own way before we even imagined COVID. Not sure we needed it on stamps and stickers though. :(
Oops, I'd better avoid checking out A Colorful Life, because stencils are a current obsession of mine. Love using them for backgrounds. Embossing folders are another favorite. I have so many patterned papers, but like using subtle backgrounds, and embossing or stenciling fill that niche.
I do a lot of window shopping on websites too. Used to fill my cart, and then toss them out, but now I just add them to my favorites. Usually don't even buy anything!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 07:34 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
Dini... your comment regarding having things you have not used yet... I was running into the same thing! I leave the new things on my desk, not allowing myself to put them away until I've actually used them at least twice. I like having a clean desk so - wow - has this helped! I get tempted by something then see those items sitting there, waiting for attention. STARING AT ME! lol
Hmmm, that wouldn't work for me, because my desk is anything but neat and tidy. I would probably end up losing the new goodies under a foot of paper scraps, stamp sets, die cuts, and partially finished cards. I used to leave the new items out on the guest room bed (which I share with my craft room), but then they got misplaced or buried too. So now I try to put them away, so at least I know where they are when I do remember to use them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:38 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
"I'm full" is usually my response to all the email invitations to buy all the new offerings and clearance sales. I am waiting for sentiment stamps that express something I can use. I don't need mushy Love you forever, or You're my one and only. There are people who need a card who just lost a parent, spouse or relative that they may not have had a good relationship with, and I have to go cruising online for a fitting phrase to print out for their card. There are people who need a card who have a problem from which they will not recover (I have seen some suitable sentiments in the past).
We need sentiment stamps for sick or injured or recovering people that are not "ordering" them to Get Well. I have One wood mount old one: I hope this finds you feeling better... In a somewhat childish font that I don't want to use often. I have even contacted some stamp companies suggesting they make something like that.... No response.
I have my floral stamps separated into "realistic" and "fun flowers" And need no more.
I recently bought some more Scripture stamps from Divinity because I stamp a suitable scripture on the inside of the front of each card. Plus they had 30% off ! I'm loving the Greetery designs, but not all fit my style.....I'm also Shopping my Stash a lot.
Yes, there seems to be a shortage of sympathy and Get Well sentiments that are unique and thoughtful. I see so many sympathy sentiment sets that just have the same sentiment in different fonts. I want something that will touch the heart and make me think. I always include a handwritten note in cards like that, but it would be nice to have a stamped quote as well. I've gone toward Thinking of You sentiments, rather than Get Well, unless it's a humorous or whimsical card for someone I know well.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
skm330mks (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by this is funView Post
I have enough stamps and I rarely buy more. Ones that really annoy me are those Tilda images. I'm not a big fan of Penny Black, Darcie Hunter or goofy images that are supposed to be cute. Really, unless the recipient is under five years old, that stuff holds little appeal.
Like so many here, I have been embracing my Big Shot. Someone gave me hers and for a few years I didn't really know what it was. So finally I took it out and fell in love with die cutting!
Most of my cards go to hospice patients and then for Christmas I send to my near and dear.
haha, the Tilda images are not my cup of tea either. One weird thing I noticed is that she only has eyes on a blank face if you look at her straight on, but she has an actual nose from the side. Happy to meet another Big Shot fan!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
this is fun (08-21-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaDevineView Post
I feel like this is me talking, exactly how I feel. I sit and go thru catalogues hoping something will jump up and say you must have this stamp set but it doesn’t happen. I even sit at my desk trying to make cards but they end up in scrap pile. I have no one to do cards with. We moved up north and no one interested, there are 3 girls that are inactive demonstrators who aren’t really interested or live more than 10 miles away…I so love Stampin up but it’s becoming a chore instead of a pleasure!
I've never had anyone to stamp or make cards with, but I find I'm more productive that way. When I do get together with friends (they scrapbook and I stamp) all I do is chat and eat. I've found that entering online challenges, and sharing my cards on forums like this are a wonderful substitute and motivator. Did you stamp with a group before you moved?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default “Forced” Inspiration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webster8View Post
I have bipolar, and lately my depression has kicked in big time. I have not stamped for months, but I have been buying new stuff ranging in the thousands of dollars. So, I have plenty of stuff to use, but my depression keeps me from creating. Also, I gather ideas from blogs, Facebook and Instagram and save them for when I'm ready to make something. So, I'm on the other side of the fence from yo, Karen. I really have to make some Christmas cards for my father in law, so I will have to move soon. Hopefully, by doing what I have to do, I will want to do more!.
I find what works for me is volunteering to make some cards for somebody. Once I “have to” get in the craft room and do something it usually jump starts me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by stampincatlady:
cjzim (08-26-2021), fl_beachbum (08-18-2021), Kathi127 (09-19-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 03:55 AM   #52  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here’s what I do with all that stuff

I’m with you. Unless something reaches out and grabs me, I don’t buy new stuff, my storage space is full. But I do love to make cards and have a ton of patterned paper, among other things. So I make cards to donate. There are a lot of charities that give cards to foster kids, nursing home residents, soldiers, you name it. I’ve also done projects for my local nursing home. That’s 60 cards at a crack. Pick your occasion, there’s someone who needs a card for that. I’ve challenged myself to use up ALL my paper in 2021. Sort of a fail cuz I did buy a couple of new packs. I also randomly pick some unused stamps and challenge myself to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 04:51 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad I'm not alone hating cutesy, or cartoon-style people or animals. In fact, I have very few people or animal stamps anyway. Like most of you, I've been buying stamps for years and have most of what I want, so I just buy the occasional one or set now. I make birthday cards for everyone in my circle, around 50, plus other occasions as they aris, and for everyone at Christmas - around 80 cards. I also make cards for charity. I have to admit that I'm not stamping as much as I should, as I made a resolution this year to try and use up some of my enormous stash of papers. I've used loads, but the stash doesn't seem any smaller.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 06:33 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You mentioned liking older stamps and projects and wishing there were more YouTubers that use that as their theme. You might check out The Frugal Crafter. She has several videos where she will make a card from her stash of older supplies, and encouraged you to "use what you have".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 07:15 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Dina K,
I just noticed your signature quote: "If you hear a voice within you say, you cannot paint, then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced. Vincent Van Gogh."
It made to pause to think about it and I must disagree with Vincent...I do have that voice that tells me I can't paint, and when I do try (again and again), that same voice nags at me, saying..."see...told you so." LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
jeannemlehrman (09-03-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:34 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Your comments about get well/better/speedy recovery, etc sentiments is spot on. So many are NOT going to get better any time soon, if ever. That has stumped me more than a few times. I'm just looking for something for the front of the card that is appropriate for those undergoing chemo/serious illnesses, etc. I ALWAYS computer generate an inside sentiment. Pinterest is fabulous for that. I have a Board just for Words/Quotes and then the sub categories. It really helps. Expressing sympathy is another delicate one.... Having been through the loss of my husband, I was able to view the sentiments in a new manner. I absolutely hated anything that mentioned "memories will sustain you" and all that. During the initial stage of grief, the only memories I had were of the horrible year we'd just been through... Later, I went through my library of sentiments eliminating any reference to memories... My favorite sentiment that I received, was simply: "Wishing you peace." It is now my "go to" sentiment for a sympathy card...it just says it all.
Sorry...think I may have deviated a bit....but the sentiments issue I think is one where the stamping community has fallen short.
Reply With Quote Likes
cjzim (08-26-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
I'm glad I'm not alone hating cutesy, or cartoon-style people or animals. In fact, I have very few people or animal stamps anyway. Like most of you, I've been buying stamps for years and have most of what I want, so I just buy the occasional one or set now. I make birthday cards for everyone in my circle, around 50, plus other occasions as they aris, and for everyone at Christmas - around 80 cards. I also make cards for charity. I have to admit that I'm not stamping as much as I should, as I made a resolution this year to try and use up some of my enormous stash of papers. I've used loads, but the stash doesn't seem any smaller.

Lynda
Seems so many of us feel the same way about these stamps. So, I'm surprised that 80% of what I see IS this style!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 08:18 AM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I've been stamping for 20 + years. So my collection is extensive. I'm focusing on using my existing stamps. The only company that I've been buying stamps from is Sweet N Sassy Stamps. SNSS is one of the few stamp companies that offers Bible based stamps sets that appeal to me.
So many stamp companies seem to just be releasing stamps that aren't anything new. How many floral stamps sets does one need? And all the cutesy sets from some companies look all the same to me. And Stampin Up rarely has any sets that appeal to me. They are just repeats of what I already have from them. I prefer some of the older sets I have from them over the newer sets. It's good for my bank account for sure.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Hello

I joined in the Alpha challenge here at Splitcoast, and we have a card challenge each week- that gets me stamping on a weekly basis at minimum..... so I am using stamps that are sitting unused and some of my older stamps as well. And, I love the teapot Tuesday- where we send cards to people with a cause..... At home, if I do not send out cards...I am bad at that, I donate to the USO at Ohare airport- soldiers love cards for their kids especially. And, Meals on Wheels loves the themed cards- and do not require envelopes. We also have a Ronald McDonald house closeby and they love the cards!
I have made card kits for a senior center, where they just glue the card together and color if they can as well.

With likes and dislikes- I inherited a silly gene from my parents- I think my Dad was a thoroughbred! I learned to stamp using techniques... The images I use are all over the board- but love House Mouse, PSX, religious themed or encouragement sentiments (check out Graciellie Digi's- or she sells her stamps at Unity too), and I like artsy and vintage stamps like Technique Junkies and Artistic Outpost.... too many to name really!

The challenges here are a great way to get motivated and use your stuff! I think CAS is HARD, so usually stick to color and sketch challenges, but different challenges posted everyday. And, in the Fan Club area, there are monthly challenges as well.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:32 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
...New stamps too... if I do see something I like, I either don't have the money to get it or I remind myself that I haven't used the last new stamps I bought and I don't deserve another purchase, so that depresses me enough to stifle the urge. *sigh*.
I don't think "deserve" has anything to do with getting what we want! But there are wish lists on most suppliers' websites and I fill those up, then wait for a sale. Between Jennifer McGuire's crafty sales list and Facebook's Craft Room Daily Deals page, sooner or later an opportunity to get what you want at a discounted price will come along. And if you're anything like me, when you open those wish lists, you often find you don't really want some of the stuff all that badly anymore.

P.S. I love your stamp line, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #61  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately I am a stamping addict, and even with well over a thousand stamps and probably that much in sheets of cardstock, I cannot stop buying. It's better than gambling or drinking - I think. My tastes have changed since I started stamping in 1995, but what I find odd is that everything old is new again! Stamps I have put in my "sell" box sometimes find their way back onto my active shelf because I see them used in another design. And YouTube is a constant source of assistance in organizing/reorganizing. What I like about stamping are the endless possibilities. What I don't like about stamping is the number of really good companies going out of business and narrowing choices. And a side note to Glitter Queen: You mentioned giving up stamping because of the onset of Parkinson's. I have a similar situation - tremors from a medication. I find using a stamping platform most helpful. There's Misti, Stampin' Up, Tim Holtz's Stamping Platform and Wendy Vecchi's Marke Art Stay-tion. Please consider trying one of those before giving up.

God Bless! Keep on stampin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Karen, I need to shop in my stash, too. I dont "do" halloween so never will send a card for that day. Love to find good scripture sentiments and Christian themed stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Your comments about get well/better/speedy recovery, etc sentiments is spot on. So many are NOT going to get better any time soon, if ever. That has stumped me more than a few times. I'm just looking for something for the front of the card that is appropriate for those undergoing chemo/serious illnesses, etc. I ALWAYS computer generate an inside sentiment. Pinterest is fabulous for that. .
I do a lot of cards for kids and adults with disabilities, with cancer, or with other difficult injuries. Sometimes the best thing to put on a card is "... because I care." If you know the person and think it's appropriate you can use, "We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it!" Another one for a time when things are particularly difficult is "It doesn't matter how slow you go, so long as you don't stop."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2021, 04:17 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Such a great thread...some good suggestions and names of vendors I was not familiar with. I too have years of supplies. I am using more since retired and unfortunately continue to add supplies. I do have to turn off the new releases some times. It can get out of hand .
I am a fan of nature, greenery, florals and lots of stenciling. I mostly stencil in art journal instead of cards. I usually search on line for card verses and mostly hand write them, trying to keep the personal touch alive. I do love word dies, helps make the cards look more professional. I have my favorites, Penny Black, Altenew, Sizzix dies, Tim Holtz, background dies of all types for floral cards, some children ones (I have two young great grandsons), Christmas stamps & dies, various frame dies with designs, Anna Griffin, Papertrey Ink, Greetery. As you can see, I like too many. Not a fan of the cutie animals, or scene type stamps. I too look for multi use dies, stamps. Again, the collection grows. I only make cards in masses for Christmas otherwise for the occasion or by person. I don't have a collection of cards sitting around. I should have with all my extra time but it gets filled with gardening and art journaling. Love the ability to watercolor using stamps and embossing powder. My interest in new releases is in the tool area...what is it that will make the process better. Having the right tools to do the job is always top on my list.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ejluyk:
bzzzeee (08-19-2021), kazeka (08-19-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 07:30 AM   #65  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow! It's not often I read an entire long thread, but this one is "spot on" for me. I have been stamping a loooong time and worked in 3 different stamp stores with good employee discounts; so my stash multiplied. My tastes did change over the years and I have gotten rid of anything "cutesy and country". I love realistic animals, flowers [especially dies of wildflowers], leaves and using embossing folders. I do like coloring images with Prisma pencils and watercolor [even though I'm not great at that].

I do not like most hearts, tiny cute images, and most solid images. I have a few multi-step stamps but find I don't use them much. I have lots of glitter and love sparkle but now like Stickles so much better as I don't sparkle all day.

I need to use my stencils more as they mostly sit in their basket; also foils.

I teach card making classes at my local, small town, library and this month I have 24 participants. I only charge for materials I have to purchase and donate the majority from my stash. I send lots of cards to our church shut-ins, members of our legion and auxiliary, and to friends/family. During Covid I mailed nearly 300 cards.

When someone asks how much stamping stuff I have I say, "If I live to be 200 I'll make a visible dent in it!". I've enjoyed this thread and agree with most that there's not a lot to be purchased now as it seems to be geared to a very young age. I used to get so excited when the new SU catalog came out, now I rarely find anything exciting about it. I also agree about the wonky scripts; I have good penmanship and like things that can be read!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2021, 10:26 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittens20View Post
Wow! It's not often I read an entire long thread, but this one is "spot on" for me. I have been stamping a loooong time and worked in 3 different stamp stores with good employee discounts; so my stash multiplied. My tastes did change over the years and I have gotten rid of anything "cutesy and country". I love realistic animals, flowers [especially dies of wildflowers], leaves and using embossing folders. I do like coloring images with Prisma pencils and watercolor [even though I'm not great at that].

I do not like most hearts, tiny cute images, and most solid images. I have a few multi-step stamps but find I don't use them much. I have lots of glitter and love sparkle but now like Stickles so much better as I don't sparkle all day.

I need to use my stencils more as they mostly sit in their basket; also foils.

I teach card making classes at my local, small town, library and this month I have 24 participants. I only charge for materials I have to purchase and donate the majority from my stash. I send lots of cards to our church shut-ins, members of our legion and auxiliary, and to friends/family. During Covid I mailed nearly 300 cards.

When someone asks how much stamping stuff I have I say, "If I live to be 200 I'll make a visible dent in it!". I've enjoyed this thread and agree with most that there's not a lot to be purchased now as it seems to be geared to a very young age. I used to get so excited when the new SU catalog came out, now I rarely find anything exciting about it. I also agree about the wonky scripts; I have good penmanship and like things that can be read!
I guess I can be happy that I've never worked in a craft or stamp store or I'd have been in big, big trouble! I bought so much back when I first started that I wouldn't have been able to keep up the pace without having to build a secondary house just for storage. Now I can enjoy shopping my stash and seeing some of that old stuff turned into cards that I donate. If the papers are too, too outdated, then I just flip them over and stamp on the plain backs. I've also used paint or ink to blend over "ugly" patterns, and then overstamped. You'd be surprised at how you can change the original pattern to make something new.

I don't know why most of the newer designs seem so geared toward a younger group...or is it that I'm just getting older? When I first started stamping, back in the 1980's, there were fewer options and stamp companies, but more of a variety of designs it seemed. You could get cute and country, or realistic and detailed. I feel like most stamp companies go along with the trends so much that they leave out anything else.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2021, 10:32 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RileyRuxpinView Post
Unfortunately I am a stamping addict, and even with well over a thousand stamps and probably that much in sheets of cardstock, I cannot stop buying. It's better than gambling or drinking - I think. My tastes have changed since I started stamping in 1995, but what I find odd is that everything old is new again! Stamps I have put in my "sell" box sometimes find their way back onto my active shelf because I see them used in another design. And YouTube is a constant source of assistance in organizing/reorganizing. What I like about stamping are the endless possibilities. What I don't like about stamping is the number of really good companies going out of business and narrowing choices. And a side note to Glitter Queen: You mentioned giving up stamping because of the onset of Parkinson's. I have a similar situation - tremors from a medication. I find using a stamping platform most helpful. There's Misti, Stampin' Up, Tim Holtz's Stamping Platform and Wendy Vecchi's Marke Art Stay-tion. Please consider trying one of those before giving up.

God Bless! Keep on stampin!
When I first saw the Misti, I thought I would never need something like that. Once I used one, I was hooked. It helped me so much to line up sentiments and images so that they were straight on my paper. I had surgery on my retina 3 years ago, but before that I couldn't see straight lines anymore. Everything was curved. Driving became impossible, but the thought of not being able to stamp or make cards anymore was what really got to me. After my surgery, my right eye vision improved, and I can see straight edges again but still have vision loss in both eyes. However, with the Misti, I line my sentiments and edges up with the etched lines on the lid, and it works!
So I definitely suggest stamping platforms for eye problems as well as hand weakness or tremors. Of course, it may still be difficult to attach and line up the stamps on the platform, but maybe you can have someone help with that part.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Lately I'm more likely to buy a vintage collectible stamp than a new release. I love the artwork that was licensed by Stamps Happen and I have been collecting stamps by Nancy Cole (specifically the sweet little beachy boy and girl images, some are also from Inkadinkado) and Cicely Mary Barker (flower fairies and some others), the Renaissance line they had (I'm just missing the knight!), geishas/kimonos from Limited Edition and Judikins.... I have a collection of ridiculous frogs from Stampa Barbara. Classic Pooh. House Mouse.

New stamps too... if I do see something I like, I either don't have the money to get it or I remind myself that I haven't used the last new stamps I bought and I don't deserve another purchase, so that depresses me enough to stifle the urge. *sigh*

I have my own stamp line - I do like those! and I truly try to steer clear of themes that 'everyone else' is doing, which is why there were pomegranates in my last release, and there will be puffins in the spring.

That said... Evernote tells me I do have some obsessions, which include 228 beach stamps, 387 birds,191 bunnies, 354 girls, 161 roses, and 224 silhouettes.
Hi Dina,
I am lucky enough to have one of your lovely works (hands holding a cup of coffee), and I love that you are trying to do themes and designs different from what everyone else is doing. YES to puffins and pomegranates!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
dini (08-22-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 02:09 AM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR23View Post
I had a stamp I received "free with purchase" 9-10 years ago with various body parts (cute lungs, a heart, a brain with legs and a smily face, etc.). It sat in the container with my other stamps, and every time I flipped by it, I had a mental note to donate it when I got enough together. Then one of the places where I donate cards asked for some cards with kidneys on it--for children who had undergone transplant surgery--and I finally had a use for it. Surprised me for sure. I can't imagine trying to search for a stamp set with a pair of kidneys! Now...not sure what to do with the brain, lungs, etc.
my sense of humor tends to lean towards Snarky on the dial... and for the brain my thought instantly was

"if I only had a brain" (you know scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz)
graphic 45 even had some printed paper once upon a time with him and the rest of the characters.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2021, 06:02 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
I do a lot of cards for kids and adults with disabilities, with cancer, or with other difficult injuries. Sometimes the best thing to put on a card is "... because I care." If you know the person and think it's appropriate you can use, "We can't always choose the music life plays for us, but we can choose how we dance to it!" Another one for a time when things are particularly difficult is "It doesn't matter how slow you go, so long as you don't stop."
I have a stamp by Impression Obsession that says, "Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." I use that for cards that I send to people who are going through various difficult times. I also use the "You are braver..." quote said by Christopher Robin in the Winnie the Pooh books by A. A. Milne.

As for themes I don't like, one that comes to mind immediately is anything with a gnome. I really don't like gnomes, but they seem to be everywhere. Like the mustaches, maybe they will go away soon, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
kazeka (08-20-2021), TeeGeeDee (08-28-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
my sense of humor tends to lean towards Snarky on the dial... and for the brain my thought instantly was

"if I only had a brain" (you know scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz)
graphic 45 even had some printed paper once upon a time with him and the rest of the characters.
yes yes yes!! Love that sentiment for the brain image. Also fun for graduation cards...."Congrats to the brainiac!". The lungs..."You take my breath away", or "Take a breath". How about a card with all the body organ images on it and , " You are more than the sum of your parts".
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
JBgreendawn (08-21-2021)
Old 08-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I have a stamp by Impression Obsession that says, "Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyway." I use that for cards that I send to people who are going through various difficult times. I also use the "You are braver..." quote said by Christopher Robin in the Winnie the Pooh books by A. A. Milne.

As for themes I don't like, one that comes to mind immediately is anything with a gnome. I really don't like gnomes, but they seem to be everywhere. Like the mustaches, maybe they will go away soon, LOL!
Oh yeah, I forgot about moustaches, haha! I guess they were everywhere...kind of like unicorns a couple of years ago, and gnomes now. I have several gnome stamps and one die, that I like...but who needs 25 of them?!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #73  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am loving this thread! So many great comments!

For people who love the old stamps there is a blog challenge that requires you to use a stamp at least one year old but you will them many years older than that....I think they give you a theme and then you find one to use in your stash.

https://www.retrorubberchallengeblog.com/my-blog/

I would have to say I am most attracted to something I have not seen before. I just saw an interesting stencil at Pigment (thanks for the reminder) but unfortunately the shipping is too high. (in Canada)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am loving this thread! So many great comments!

For people who love the old stamps there is a blog challenge that requires you to use a stamp at least one year old but you will them many years older than that....I think they give you a theme and then you find one to use in your stash.

https://www.retrorubberchallengeblog.com/my-blog/

I would have to say I am most attracted to something I have not seen before. I just saw an interesting stencil at Pigment (thanks for the reminder) but unfortunately the shipping is too high. (in Canada)
Sheesh, I don't know about you but a stamp that is one or two years old is what I call a new stamp, haha! Of course, I also have clothes hanging in my closet that are 10 years old..so there's that.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by kazeka:
cjzim (08-26-2021), TexasGrammy (08-21-2021), wavejumper (09-04-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have stamps older than my son :mrgreen: (and he hit the quarter century mark on his last one) lol

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I have stamps older than my son :mrgreen: (and he hit the quarter century mark on his last one) lol
Oh yeah...stamps that age are just getting broken in!!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
JBgreendawn (08-22-2021)
Old 08-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #77  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have over 1,500 wood-mounted stamps that I've collected over many years. Lately, I've made a lot of sale stamps and dies at ALTENEW. I find the layering dies and stamps beautiful. Nice papers. Also, every product has a video using the product. Nice 45% off sales and lessons, some are free offering more uses and techniques. I'm Keeping busy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2021, 07:53 AM   #78  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool New releases overwhelming

You will see I’ve become completely disillusioned with the process.
I find the constant cycle of new releases overwhelming. Since creating is my hobby and not my vocation I find that I need longer to look over the designs, decide if I want anything, purchase, and use. Often by the time I’m halfway through that process another new release has occurred, I see something else I like, have to decide to get new items or items from the release before - and I often end up not buying anything. Also, I find it discouraging that the supplies needed to make one item runs very high by the time I’ve bought ink, dies and stamps.
Honestly I’ve even stopped buying most commercially made cards. I buy $5 gift cards or send $5 e-cards. As long as I am going to be spending that much money the recipient should get something of value to them - not just something they are going to throw out in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (08-23-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Old stamps

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Sheesh, I don't know about you but a stamp that is one or two years old is what I call a new stamp, haha! Of course, I also have clothes hanging in my closet that are 10 years old..so there's that.

Karen
Old stamps begin at least in the 5 year category...more like 10! A one year old stamp is NOT EVER an old stamp...at least in my house! Sometimes I haven't even used one that new...LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mphb:
DianeinSparks (08-25-2021), kazeka (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Like many of you seasoned stampers/card makers I've collected, stamped, purged, collected... for over 30 yrs now.
My collection of substrates, mediums, tools (electronics and manual), is just as good or better than what they're pushing on the market. Instead I'm shopping my stash and using products I already have for designing cards, I'm saving money and finally USING up my stash.

As for themes...
I like art stamps: ethnic, nature, tribal, greenery, architecture, elements...themes that can be used for any occasion...I'm sick of: butterflies, I will not by another butterfly anything, floral paper, antique distressed.
Lately I've been using digital journal kits along with my own backgrounds, 6x6 paper pads, embossing folders, and die cuts for my projects. Along with my distress and archival inks, embossing techniques, accent drops, stencils and stamps to enhance the images and I'm very pleased with the results.

Reply With Quote Likes