Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Stamp themes you love? Themes you don't love?

I've found lately, that I'm just not tempted to buy new stamps. All of the companies are coming out with new products on a monthly (sometimes even weekly, it seems) basis, but nothing excites me anymore. It made me think about the reasons why. For one thing, I've got such a stash of stamps now that I have pretty much covered every popular theme and holiday, and have stamps sets that have never seen ink.

Also, I love the fall season, but I rarely make halloween cards or projects. My granddaughter was born on Halloween, but she prefers to have a separate birthday and Halloween celebration these days, so my Halloween stash doesn't need to grow. I also have a lot of Christmas stamps and papers that I've purchased over the years, and tend to make multiples of a card that I like. Although I do make Thanksgiving cards, there seems to be a shortage of original or exciting Thanksgiving and fall designs out there. They all include the same old turkey, fall leaves, or pumpkin patch.

I love masculine stamp themes but only send cards out to three guys...my brother-in-laws, and my son. I rarely have a need for new baby cards or wedding cards either. The same goes for Easter, St. Patty's day, July 4th etc. None of my family stamp, and none of my close friends send cards anymore.

So, what about you? Do you find that your stamp theme needs have changed over the years? Are there themes that you are not interested in, or that you have no use for? Do you make Halloween, Easter, or July 4th cards? Have your tastes changed, or has your lifestyle caused your interest in different themes to change?

I continue to make and send birthday cards, get well, sympathy (more of those as I get older), thinking of you and general themed cards. I know a lot of people make and send thank you cards by the ton, but I rarely do. I make them, but never send them out, except at Christmas.

What are your favorite cards to make, and who do you send or give them to?

I should be happy that few stamp sets tempt me anymore, but it kind of depresses me! On the positive side though, I'm starting to "shop my stash" lately and am finding new-to-me stamps that I forgot I had.

Karen

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 26 users liked this post by kazeka:
aspengirl (08-18-2021), barbfarmd (08-17-2021), beachsidelynn (08-18-2021), Bohodiva (08-17-2021), Country Twinkle (08-17-2021), DanM (08-20-2021), fl_beachbum (08-13-2021), K-F (08-17-2021), Kitanda (08-17-2021), kmac (08-18-2021), MangieB (08-17-2021), mddlerth (08-31-2021), Meyer3 (08-17-2021), MommaPatti (08-18-2021), mphb (08-17-2021), NinaBeth (08-18-2021), Pam Quackenbush (08-17-2021), PaperMorePaper (08-18-2021), Patinky (08-17-2021), Scrapjanny (08-12-2021), Shirley A Green (08-17-2021), skm330mks (08-18-2021), Sparkling Stamper (08-17-2021), StephanieJager (08-19-2021), sue42 (08-18-2021), vdutchr (08-17-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

My stamp collection has pretty much everything I could ever want, so I, like you, am not buying many stamps anymore. But I LOVE the consumables! I mail a lot of cards - birthday, thank you, thinking of you, holidays, etc. I have 3 daughters that also constantly need birthday, thank you, and graduation cards to send.

Because I make cards for my local Meals On Wheels program to put in the lunch bags, i stamp for every holiday. I just made 65 Fourth of July cards this past June and 65 Halloween cards for the October bags. It's SO FUN!!!

I also donate cards to an assisted living facility that my mom volunteers at. They sell them in their gift shop and put the proceeds in the Activities Fund. The cards I donate are also used as bingo prizes for the residents. When my shoebox is overflowing, that's when I fill a bag to send to them.

My tastes haven't changed much in the 20 years I've been stamping and my lifestyle hasn't affected the types of cards I make, either. Since I donate so much of what I make and the ladies I stamp with request different themes each month, all my stamps get a good workout! And it's super fun to stay out of the rut of always doing the same kind of card.

One other thing I really enjoy doing is stamping quotes on my cards rather than a specific greeting. In my opinion, cards with quotes can be used for many occasions and if I want to make it more specific, I can stamp it on the inside of the card just before mailing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 26 users liked this post by cnsteele:
barbfarmd (08-17-2021), Bohodiva (08-17-2021), bubbapaws (08-18-2021), CardgirlJo (08-18-2021), Cathy'sFancy (08-14-2021), cjzim (08-26-2021), craftiema (08-31-2021), fl_beachbum (08-13-2021), gcnewell (08-17-2021), JammieR (09-01-2021), JR23 (08-17-2021), Kristy Tyra (08-18-2021), lazylizard (08-15-2021), lynnewithane (08-13-2021), MangieB (08-17-2021), Meyer3 (08-17-2021), Mischelle1 (08-21-2021), NeenCraft (08-17-2021), NinaBeth (08-18-2021), Patinky (08-17-2021), Paula in GA (08-24-2021), Scrapjanny (08-13-2021), skm330mks (08-18-2021), sue42 (08-18-2021), susie718 (08-18-2021), Valeriesc (08-17-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Nicole,
Like you, I make cards for my daughter to use, as she doesn't have much time to stamp. The two girls (age 11 and 7) are always in need of birthday and teacher cards, so that keeps me busy as well.
I donate cards to local nursing homes, and need to call Meals on Wheels again to find out if they can use cards. Everyone pretty much put a hold on accepting donated cards during the COVID closures, due to worries about contamination. Our local senior center shut down completely, so I couldn't donate to them anymore either. However, things are slowly opening up so I'll probably have more sources that can use cards. Making holiday cards for lunch bag meals sounds like a great way to use those rarely used stamps, and now I'm getting excited! Need to make some calls tomorrow.
How fun to hear about all the ways your cards make someone happy!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by kazeka:
craftiema (08-31-2021), DJwishes (08-23-2021), Kristy Tyra (08-18-2021), Paula in GA (08-24-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Oh, I'm with Karen & Nicole! This past year I've made a deliberate effort to shop my own stash, and I've actually enjoyed using some oldies! I'lll even confess that now & then I've used previously uninked stamps! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
Bohodiva (08-17-2021), JR23 (08-17-2021), kazeka (08-13-2021), lazylizard (08-15-2021), Ldumont999 (08-13-2021), lynmck (08-18-2021), Meyer3 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Karen, like you I haven't been tempted to buy new stamps for quite a while, everything seems the same or similar to something I already have in my stash of 30+ years and the older stamps are better in my opinion with designs that are more detailed. I do make cards for just about every holiday; a few for St. Patrick's Day, and about 20-25 for Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and 65-70 for Christmas. I also make Birthday and Anniversary cards for family and friends and Back to School cards for my 3 young nieces [middle school, high school, college]. We're a retired military family and have friends all over the US and I send cards to them and all my grown nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews. I have tons of stamps and have been purging some and giving them to the ladies in my Card Making Group or donating them to charitable thrift shops. I agree that there is a shortage of different stamps for Thanksgiving and some years I use patterned paper and a "Happy Thanksgiving" die. I'm still buying dies and always seem to find several that I must add to my huge stash. My favorite type of cards to make are Halloween and Christmas cards. Almost all of my cards have patterned paper on them but I have made a bunch with stencils either using distress inks or glitter gels. I love to color with alcohol markers and that's my latest obsession and I regret not starting to use them earlier since it's so much faster than using colored pencils and easier on my arthritic hands.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by DianeinSparks:
craftiema (08-31-2021), kazeka (08-13-2021), NinaBeth (08-18-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 02:26 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I have been stamping for about 25 years and I STILL find new stamps to buy!! Stamp companies like The Greetery and Concord & 9th are my favorites. They think "outside the box" and come up with different things each month. I also love 2-3 or even 4 step stamping. I think the end results are so pretty!! Dies, I love dies too. I also love stenciling more than I ever have!! I find I do mail out cards less each year and I definitely only receive a handful of stamped cards now. So many of my stamping friends have quit stamping and moved onto other hobbies. I am a chemo card angel so I send 2 cards a week to my chemo buddy. I have been doing that for 3 years and love it. I am starting on my Fall cards now and even have done a few Halloween cards. (my fave holiday!) I like to be way ahead and get them done 2-3 months ahead. I also participate in challenges so that helps me do different color combs I've never even thought of. I now have arthritis in both thumbs and on the verge of surgery in my right hand. I hate the thought of not stamping anything for 3 months. So putting it off for as long as I can but thumbs continue to get worse despite a few rounds of cortisone shots :(.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cheermom:
DJwishes (08-23-2021), NinaBeth (08-18-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 05:31 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Very good topic ! I have a card ministry and have been sending cards to everyone at my church.. one lady used to be the "Sunshine Lady" sending store bought cards to everyone. her husband had to be moved into a nursing home and she moved from the local area to be with him, so I took over her ministry in 2007. I started out using the store cards as well, but about 5 years ago switched to entirely my own cards. I send cards to Cards for a Cause, Teapot Tuesday and any other SCS requests. I have lots of friends asking to buy cards, and I tell them to donate $2. a card to any local charity (It's between them and God if they are honest). I did sell them a few times at our church booth on community days and profits there go back into the care jar at church.. I don't buy as many stamps as I used to, but I do belong to Spellbinders Small Die of the Month.. The majority of my cards are now die cuts... and I too have enough in my stash that if I never purchased another die or stamp I'm be fine. I've been making cards for over 40 years, so I have quite a collection. Some of the Spellbinders dies seem repetition of each other lately, so to me it looks like they too are running out of ideas.. Oh yes, I also have 3 of the original Cricuts and 30 cartridges - which I still use occasionally. I guess at some point, all craft companies struggle with coming up with new ideas....
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mac4551:
MangieB (08-17-2021), susie718 (08-18-2021), Valeriesc (08-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I certainly buy less than I used to. Like you, I have so many paper, dies, and stamps that I seldom need more. The one place I go to find new stamps is mo's (https://www.mosdigitalpencil.com/brows-all-stamps/). I love digital stamps becaue I can resize them for cards or for scrapbooking. Mo has stamps that include ethnically diverse characters and children with disabilities.
If you are losing your mojo I would suggest three things.
1. go to a set of stamps, dies, or some papers you haven't used in AGES. Then think of new ways to use them. Example: I've been scrapbooking for my new grandson. I was doing a 4th of July page but didn't have any fireworks dies. Going through my stash I found a dandilion die, cut it in reds, blues, & golds. Then I removed the stem from the flower. Viola - fireworks.
2. Browse pintrest for handmade cards. Something will inspire you there.
3. Make cards for an organization like those posted monthly on Cards For a Cause (JULY 2021 MISSION - STAMP FROM THE HEART by russnzella at Splitcoaststampers) This will allow you to use your favorite stamps/dies while you do good for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Stamp themes you love? Themes you don't love?-08-13-21-july4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Ldumont999:
bzzzeee (08-13-2021), JR23 (08-17-2021), pressed4time (08-17-2021), susie718 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 07:10 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I have been stamping for about 25 years and I STILL find new stamps to buy!! Stamp companies like The Greetery and Concord & 9th are my favorites. .
I'd never heard of either of these. Found a couple of dies I loved in Greetery. Thanks for mentioning them!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Ldumont999:
cheermom (08-13-2021), DJwishes (08-23-2021), JR23 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 07:52 AM   #10  
sbd
Rubber Obsessor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nicole,
Where do you find quote stamps
TIA
Sadie
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
CardgirlJo (08-18-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Karen, like you I haven't been tempted to buy new stamps for quite a while, everything seems the same or similar to something I already have in my stash of 30+ years and the older stamps are better in my opinion with designs that are more detailed. I do make cards for just about every holiday; a few for St. Patrick's Day, and about 20-25 for Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and 65-70 for Christmas. I also make Birthday and Anniversary cards for family and friends and Back to School cards for my 3 young nieces [middle school, high school, college]. We're a retired military family and have friends all over the US and I send cards to them and all my grown nieces, nephews, great nieces and great nephews. I have tons of stamps and have been purging some and giving them to the ladies in my Card Making Group or donating them to charitable thrift shops. I agree that there is a shortage of different stamps for Thanksgiving and some years I use patterned paper and a "Happy Thanksgiving" die. I'm still buying dies and always seem to find several that I must add to my huge stash. My favorite type of cards to make are Halloween and Christmas cards. Almost all of my cards have patterned paper on them but I have made a bunch with stencils either using distress inks or glitter gels. I love to color with alcohol markers and that's my latest obsession and I regret not starting to use them earlier since it's so much faster than using colored pencils and easier on my arthritic hands.
Hi Diane,
I resisted buying a die cutting machine for years and years, and then finally bought a Big Shot some time back. By then, many of my friends had gone to Cricuts...but I prefer the look of manual die cuts. I like to cut with fairly heavy cardstock, for added dimension, and the Cricut designs seem flatter to me. Now that I have a Big Shot, I can't get enough of die cutting! As you pointed out, some patterned paper and a focal point sentiment die can be used to make a great holiday card anytime.
My fear is that my old Big Shot will give up the ghost at some point, and it will be a sad day for me. Having to buy a new die machine will be as stressful as buying a new car, hah!
As for new stamp designs, it seems like most companies are making images that are more suited to kids than adults. I love a cute critter...but do I need 15 of the same look?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by kazeka:
BlackDove (08-17-2021), DianeinSparks (08-13-2021), MommaPatti (08-18-2021), PaperMorePaper (08-18-2021), skm330mks (08-18-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 05:20 PM   #12  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbdView Post
Nicole,
TIA
Sadie
Sadie, many of my older Stampin' Up! and Close To My Heart sets had them. I'm sorry I can't give you newer sources - those are the only two companies I buy from and so that's all I'm familiar with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2021, 03:08 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by mitch1; 08-15-2021 at 03:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2021, 03:15 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I've been stamping for about 17 years but still find things to purchase upon occasion. For many years, I was an active demonstrator and only bought from the company. Once I decided to stop selling, it opened me up to allllll the other companies out there

Nowadays, I get excited when companies release new images and they are of a scale to use with things I already have. I know what styles I like best, as well, so that helps me reduce my purchasing (not getting things I won't enjoy using).

Thinking about it, my purchasing kind of goes in cycles. I'm good on images for now so not likely to purchase any. At some point I will want something new to color. After a period of using up my patterned paper making envelopes (and gifting to new crafters), I'm nearing a point where I could purchase patterned paper again. I have the things I actually use on a regular basis so my purchases over the next few months will most likely be limited to refilling basic supplies. Now watch some amazing new thing come out and blow that peace out of the water! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
DJwishes (08-23-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

I tend to collect sentiments because, I find it easier to think of numbers than comforting or silly things to say. I find when I speak out loud the words are not any easier, its like they scramble the order when I open my mouth. and then I get the what did you say look? :lol:

so, although my stamps are in the 4 digits range, I still after all these years buy new ones. I like seeing different fonts and sizes and you know, I think mixing what is new right now with what I had to have 25 years ago makes it all look a little more fresh too.

I tend to go for things with line images more than solid silhouette types. I like to do wreaths for Thanksgiving cards. ( I have a bunch of twiggy ones or bittersweet type things) These are the things my stamp have in common.

right now I am really into Colorado Craft Co. ( my eyes are aging faster than the rest of me) so, they have some stamps they call "big and bold" and they fill a 6" square card which is awesome to me.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
cjzim (08-26-2021), fl_beachbum (08-15-2021), kazeka (08-15-2021), skm330mks (08-18-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Just realized I never answered the original question! HAHA

themes...

Like Stacy, I like having a variety of sentiments in a variety of fonts.

I never thought I would enjoy CUTE as much as I do now. I really didn't "get it" for years! All changed when I realized how much I enjoy coloring. The only ones I still don't care for are the ones with big faces/heads. The overall size of the image as well as body posture and facial expression are also important. For a while there, it seems like most were bow-legged. Trends are interesting.

I enjoy floral sometimes but not as much as I enjoy critters and people.
I am enjoying the geometric theme that is getting attention now. I appreciate that it can be for anyone, so it helps for making cards for men, teens, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Themes I like: Well I like a lot plus I go thru phases... So I guess I will go with right now...
storybook look-so I like Dreamerland, Jeram at Colorado Craft, Yakula at MFT, Phyllis Harris at Unity, Lily of the Valley, etc.
Unusual flowers I dont see all the time so I like to look at Paper Roses for Australian, Northwoods, Alternew etc
I think I will always like girlfriends series at Art Impressions.
Background stamps I can do different things with
Elegant stamps like the wedding ones from The Ton.
Snarky sayings. But also really nice ones (like our Dina's) -so Impression Obsession does both.

Does it have to be only stamps? Right now I am crushing on optical illusion stencils and some of the layering stencils. Dies..I like layering too. I will always love shakers. Quilt dies bc I like inlay.

I like to make for all the holidays still. Just bc I don't always have someone to give them to does not mean I don't like making them.

But a lot now can be driven by what technique I am in the mood for...do I want to play with pastes, or heat emboss, or inlay, or foiling or glittering...do I want to do cute or no stamping or whatever...and when I find something in my stash that lets me do that...I am very happy.

What I don't like:
I never have liked people images with either no face or only a partial face.
A lot of the "handwritten" look of big words...If I can do it myself, I don't need a stamp lol. I prefer pretty scripts rather than loose scrawl looks.
How did poop become a desired stamp? I know it is an emoji and that's enough. Just imho
I have learned to stop saying I don't like "mixed media" and instead to say I don't like collage like say...some of Carabelle Studio, Paper Artsy, Visible Images etc

I am missing a lot of stuff. There is so much out there that both sides would have a sizable amount.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
fl_beachbum (08-17-2021), JR23 (08-17-2021), kazeka (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

This is a great thread. It appears that many of you like myself have been stamping for years and certainly spent years of purchasing all kinds of supplies and stamps. I have collected stamps that I love so I very rarely get rid of any of them. So, like many of you I have been having fun making use of the stashes. It's fun creating with these and using them in new ways like maybe adding a stenciled background or using some other newer technique that I have found fun to do. Combining big background stamps has been a new source off fun for me too.

Like Nicole, I like using quotes and scriptures that have timeless messages or little words of wisdom and truth rather than sentiments that only fit certain holidays or celebrations. I use so many of my cards as thinking of you cards to send to elderly or people who need an extra life in their lives so encouragement types of cards always seem to fit. I also share my cards with the other ladies on the Care Team at my church so they don't have to spend so much on cards to purchase.

So I am still collecting stencils as I find them fascinating, and I am always on the look out for great quotes or scripture stamps in interesting or bold fonts. My craft budget is a little more limiting now that I live on a fixed income being retired. But it is the nice owning almost a whole craft store in my stamping room, most of which I purchased while I was still working. It was my retirement plan. I knew I could stay busy daily trying to deplete that stash. Even with that said,
I cannot resist a good bargain ever so any 50% and 75% bargains often find their way into my shopping basket!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lazylizard:
Beverly 1939 (08-24-2021), Kristy Tyra (08-18-2021), PaperMorePaper (08-18-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
I certainly buy less than I used to. Like you, I have so many paper, dies, and stamps that I seldom need more. The one place I go to find new stamps is mo's (https://www.mosdigitalpencil.com/brows-all-stamps/). I love digital stamps becaue I can resize them for cards or for scrapbooking. Mo has stamps that include ethnically diverse characters and children with disabilities.
If you are losing your mojo I would suggest three things.
1. go to a set of stamps, dies, or some papers you haven't used in AGES. Then think of new ways to use them. Example: I've been scrapbooking for my new grandson. I was doing a 4th of July page but didn't have any fireworks dies. Going through my stash I found a dandilion die, cut it in reds, blues, & golds. Then I removed the stem from the flower. Viola - fireworks.
2. Browse pintrest for handmade cards. Something will inspire you there.
3. Make cards for an organization like those posted monthly on Cards For a Cause (JULY 2021 MISSION - STAMP FROM THE HEART by russnzella at Splitcoaststampers) This will allow you to use your favorite stamps/dies while you do good for others.
Oh my gosh Louise, that July 4th page is so adorable and the dandelion dies cut in red, white and blue was such a creative way to make fireworks! I always love being able to stretch my supplies to work for a number of themes and designs, and this is genius! Your little grandson couldn't be cuter in his patriotic outift.
I've been trying to finish up old layouts that I started at least 10 years ago, and will have to start looking at my dies in new ways. I don't usually buy themed scrapbook embellishments, so ideas like this are really fun.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Ldumont999 (08-17-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Themes I like: Well I like a lot plus I go thru phases... So I guess I will go with right now...
storybook look-so I like Dreamerland, Jeram at Colorado Craft, Yakula at MFT, Phyllis Harris at Unity, Lily of the Valley, etc.
Unusual flowers I dont see all the time so I like to look at Paper Roses for Australian, Northwoods, Alternew etc
I think I will always like girlfriends series at Art Impressions.
Background stamps I can do different things with
Elegant stamps like the wedding ones from The Ton.
Snarky sayings. But also really nice ones (like our Dina's) -so Impression Obsession does both.

Does it have to be only stamps? Right now I am crushing on optical illusion stencils and some of the layering stencils. Dies..I like layering too. I will always love shakers. Quilt dies bc I like inlay.

I like to make for all the holidays still. Just bc I don't always have someone to give them to does not mean I don't like making them.

But a lot now can be driven by what technique I am in the mood for...do I want to play with pastes, or heat emboss, or inlay, or foiling or glittering...do I want to do cute or no stamping or whatever...and when I find something in my stash that lets me do that...I am very happy.

What I don't like:
I never have liked people images with either no face or only a partial face.
A lot of the "handwritten" look of big words...If I can do it myself, I don't need a stamp lol. I prefer pretty scripts rather than loose scrawl looks.
How did poop become a desired stamp? I know it is an emoji and that's enough. Just imho
I have learned to stop saying I don't like "mixed media" and instead to say I don't like collage like say...some of Carabelle Studio, Paper Artsy, Visible Images etc

I am missing a lot of stuff. There is so much out there that both sides would have a sizable amount.
Ugh, poop images and emoji's make my grandkids laugh but they just make me shake my head and move on past. Fortunately, I think poop images are becoming passe, as I rarely see them anymore. I also tend to have problems with faceless images, unless they are really artsy and barely look like people. My coloring skills are still very mediocre and I can't figure out how to color them without them looking like paper cut-outs.
I've been really enjoying stencils lately as well, but haven't tried the layering ones yet. I've collected a lot of stencils over the years and have only recently started using them. I have some embossing paste that I still haven't opened, and that's next.
Snarky sentiments that aren't mean or foul always grab me, but I don't know who I could use them for, so I usually read them, laugh and skip it. There are some by Tim Holtz that are so hilarious!
Floral stamps are something I don't usually steer toward, because I have so many of them already, but I plan to learn how to watercolor, and that might change everything!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by kazeka:
fl_beachbum (08-17-2021), wavejumper (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 07:27 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like this discussion too. Like we are sitting around with a coffee....

Karen-
I wonder if the pandemic and the TP theme opened the door to the poop but there was the emoji movie and a poop character was around a lot.

From Liz:

So I am still collecting stencils as I find them fascinating, and I am always on the look out for great quotes or scripture stamps in interesting or bold fonts. My craft budget is a little more limiting now that I live on a fixed income being retired. But it is the nice owning almost a whole craft store in my stamping room, most of which I purchased while I was still working. It was my retirement plan. I knew I could stay busy daily trying to deplete that stash. Even with that said,
I cannot resist a good bargain ever so any 50% and 75% bargains often find their way into my shopping basket!!

That is definitely me too. A Colorful Life is dangerous for me-so many stencils I want there! And unlike other products, stencils and embossing folders are much cheaper. The new 3D wave in embossing folders is so fun. Looks so great with the gilding pastes...I saw that in my LSS. And I am a total deep sale addict but I am getting better! I looked at 1250 things in the clearance bin at 123 stitch and only put 2 in my basket and one is already kicked out again.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
JR23 (08-17-2021), kazeka (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stamp Themes you love, themes you don’t

I feel like this is me talking, exactly how I feel. I sit and go thru catalogues hoping something will jump up and say you must have this stamp set but it doesn’t happen. I even sit at my desk trying to make cards but they end up in scrap pile. I have no one to do cards with. We moved up north and no one interested, there are 3 girls that are inactive demonstrators who aren’t really interested or live more than 10 miles away…I so love Stampin up but it’s becoming a chore instead of a pleasure!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by LindaDevine:
JR23 (08-17-2021), skm330mks (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not been stamping that many years but I do enjoy it. Being single I need something to do with my time. I try and make 1 to 2 cards everyday and when I get enough to fill up a USPS Priority Large Flat Rate box I send them to an organization, Cards For Soldiers, and then they get dispersed from there. Good cause and the cards are getting used by others that appreciate them. I have drifted from sponging to stamping and die cutting and using DSP, which I have alot, maybe because it is just quicker to do. Cards I make generally are on the generic side so that they can be used for multiple occasions since what may be needed varies so greatly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Oh my gosh Louise, that July 4th page is so adorable and the dandelion dies cut in red, white and blue was such a creative way to make fireworks! I always love being able to stretch my supplies to work for a number of themes and designs, and this is genius! Your little grandson couldn't be cuter in his patriotic outift.
Karen
Thank you Karen. My mojo was revived when I started to use my huge stash in ways that I previously could not even imagine. Having fun with that - and saving a ton of money. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally relate to what you've said. Way too many releases in my book & a lot of things look basically the same. I do find creative designs at The Stamp Market & Pigment Craft Company & I purposely don't check out a lot of other companies. I have so much stuff after nearly 30 years of cardmaking, that it's hard to justify buying more. My favorite cards are Christmas. I mostly make one of a kind so I can use more of my stamps & dies. I do mail tons of cards--mostly thinking of you/hello/hugs plus birthdays. I always intend to make Thanksgiving cards, Easter, Valentines. Cardmaking is therapy to me, so I love entering challenges, many of which are sponsored by companies. That way, if I win (random winners are the best!) it gives me a gift certificate to get something new. I'm so grateful that I've made a lot of friends all over the world through cardmaking. Just wish postage wasn't so expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by gg nurse:
aquarius2649 (08-17-2021), cjzim (08-26-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #26  
K-F
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I Don't Want Anymore Stamps OR Paper

I'm going to be selling hundreds of stamps and other supplies. I have a large collection of PSX (remember them?) & SU! stamps I still go to stamp class once a month to see friends and have fun, but I pay for class instead of buying products. I must declutter!

I donate my cards but am not sure how much longer I can make them because Parkinson's is progressing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

So here is my take on what I like, what I actually use and what I don't like.

Do not like....
* any stamp or die that has only one basic way to use it.
* sentiment stamps. I can never get them to stamp straight, so I tend to print whever sentiments I want to use.
* cutsie stamps, old-people doing stupid things stamps, etc. I just don't find them appealing.

Love...
* any stamp or die that has multiple uses.
* digital stamps. I can resize them, flip them, use them for cards, or for scrapbooking.

What I use most...
* dies of all kinds. I like sentiment (& word) dies, boarder dies, image dies. Whatever, I can cut the words out in gold or silver card stock and it really makes them pop.
* stamps that apeal to children who are of all ethnic groups and all economic levels. I do a lot of card stamping for groups where the kids might come for enonomic deprived situations. So cards with candy, cakes, toys etc don't work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Hi Diane,
As for new stamp designs, it seems like most companies are making images that are more suited to kids than adults. I love a cute critter...but do I need 15 of the same look?
Karen
I’m with you about critters. I don’t really get “cute” I’m afraid, and there are few reasons in my circle to make kid cards or baby cards, or…

Lline art flowers - I Have SOOOO many and I really don’t use them any more.

Still I find myself buying stamp sets for one image among the many that don’t interest me - a graphic background stamp or a sentiment or… such a waste of photopolymer that the rest of these sets just gather dust in my stamp bins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:23 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Manic depression has me buying but not creating!

Quote:

I've found lately, that I'm just not tempted to buy new stamps. All of the companies are coming out with new products on a monthly (sometimes even weekly, it seems) basis, but nothing excites me anymore. It made me think about the reasons why. For one thing, I've got such a stash of stamps now that I have pretty much covered every popular theme and holiday, and have stamps sets that have never seen ink.

Also, I love the fall season, but I rarely make halloween cards or projects. My granddaughter was born on Halloween, but she prefers to have a separate birthday and Halloween celebration these days, so my Halloween stash doesn't need to grow. I also have a lot of Christmas stamps and papers that I've purchased over the years, and tend to make multiples of a card that I like. Although I do make Thanksgiving cards, there seems to be a shortage of original or exciting Thanksgiving and fall designs out there. They all include the same old turkey, fall leaves, or pumpkin patch.

I love masculine stamp themes but only send cards out to three guys...my brother-in-laws, and my son. I rarely have a need for new baby cards or wedding cards either. The same goes for Easter, St. Patty's day, July 4th etc. None of my family stamp, and none of my close friends send cards anymore.

So, what about you? Do you find that your stamp theme needs have changed over the years? Are there themes that you are not interested in, or that you have no use for? Do you make Halloween, Easter, or July 4th cards? Have your tastes changed, or has your lifestyle caused your interest in different themes to change?

I continue to make and send birthday cards, get well, sympathy (more of those as I get older), thinking of you and general themed cards. I know a lot of people make and send thank you cards by the ton, but I rarely do. I make them, but never send them out, except at Christmas.

I should be happy that few stamp sets tempt me anymore, but it kind of depresses me! On the positive side though, I'm starting to "shop my stash" lately and am finding new-to-me stamps that I forgot I had.

Karen
I have bipolar, and lately my depression has kicked in big time. I have not stamped for months, but I have been buying new stuff ranging in the thousands of dollars. So, I have plenty of stuff to use, but my depression keeps me from creating. Also, I gather ideas from blogs, Facebook and Instagram and save them for when I'm ready to make something. So, I'm on the other side of the fence from yo, Karen. I really have to make some Christmas cards for my father in law, so I will have to move soon. Hopefully, by doing what I have to do, I will want to do more!.

Webster8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My taste hasn’t changed a whole lot in the 30+ years I’ve been stamping. I did my best to embrace cute but just couldn’t do it consistently. I rarely buy new stamps. They mostly look alike to me. So I’ve been stalking auctions, estate sales, OfferUp etc and buying OG rubber stamps. I’ve probably picked up 800 so far this year. It takes a lot of time to examine and index them but also a lot of satisfaction. Along the way, I buy consumables when I get great deals (eg 66 Radiant Pearls $35) but I’d rather spend $ buying new watercolors, sprays, good paper, etc because I do go through those. I do worry though that my pool of relatives and friends is shrinking for sending cards. I’m retiring next year so no more co-workers either. I wish there were more You Tubers who embraced the classics and the forgotten but still fun techniques from the old days. The hauls for ubiquitous brands are so dull to me. But I still love the mess and the creating so will keep going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:28 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Die-cutting

Quote:

Hi Diane,
I resisted buying a die cutting machine for years and years, and then finally bought a Big Shot some time back. By then, many of my friends had gone to Cricuts...but I prefer the look of manual die cuts. I like to cut with fairly heavy cardstock, for added dimension, and the Cricut designs seem flatter to me. Now that I have a Big Shot, I can't get enough of die cutting! As you pointed out, some patterned paper and a focal point sentiment die can be used to make a great holiday card anytime.
My fear is that my old Big Shot will give up the ghost at some point, and it will be a sad day for me. Having to buy a new die machine will be as stressful as buying a new car, hah!
Karen
I love die-cutting too! I wore out two Big Shots and got a Vagabond! It is marvelous and under $200. There is nothing comparable. So your "shopping" for a replacement will be only be to find the best price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maple Leaf Familiar feelings!

Quote:

Karen
I love Fall and all flower stamps. I make cards because it's the way I enJOY me time. I have a lot of them and not enough people to send them :(
It is so easy to go online and buy buy buy.... requires a lot of discipline. Like you I have stamps that have not seen ink !
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Kitanda:
JR23 (08-17-2021), Kathi127 (09-19-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #33  
Cardstock Collector

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The partial faces or missing mouths creep me out. I usually want to draw in mouths or eyes. Some of the headless bodies are kind of strange to me as well. And your comment about the handwriting is spot on! I have average looking handwriting, so I prefer to stamp with fun or pretty fonts. I sometimes wonder if stamp companies get together and say, "Okay, this year we're all going to make llama and narwhal stamps," or "We're bringing gnomes back, but they are going to be different from the gnomes that were popular 10 years ago." It just seems weird they all come out with one theme within two months of each other. I think most card recipients don't know what the latest stamp trends are so using older items is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamingView Post
I do worry though that my pool of relatives and friends is shrinking for sending cards. I’m retiring next year so no more co-workers either. I wish there were more You Tubers who embraced the classics and the forgotten but still fun techniques from the old days. The hauls for ubiquitous brands are so dull to me. But I still love the mess and the creating so will keep going.
Two things have helped me have a "purpose" to my creating (which I find I need) - creating to donate to different groups either through the Cards for a Cause group on this site or to local groups. I'm currently focusing on local places so I can save money (no shipping). Even though I stopped working a month ago, I'm still friends with my previous coworkers and they would like to continue sending birthday cards out to the volunteers, so I will continue donating cards there. Covid helped to remind me and others the value of connections and reaching out to people. So I find that we are all more likely to send a card now even just to say hello.

Like you, I don't really get into the 'haul' videos. I'm trying to stick to 'less is more' and those videos feel like the opposite to me. I'm not judging them -it's just how I react to them, so I don't watch.

I think the reason so many videos focus on 'new' is because they are trying to earn money. The only way they can do that is by earning a tiny commission on sales. So even though they are using techniques that can be applied to products new & old, they demonstrate with new products that can still be purchased. When I was a demonstrator, I tried to incorporate retired products into my classes. For every person who appreciated it, there was at least one who was annoyed they could no longer purchase the item easily. It's tough to get the right balance, you know?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-FView Post
I'm going to be selling hundreds of stamps and other supplies. I have a large collection of PSX (remember them?) & SU! stamps I still go to stamp class once a month to see friends and have fun, but I pay for class instead of buying products. I must declutter!

I donate my cards but am not sure how much longer I can make them because Parkinson's is progressing.
I am sorry to hear about the Parkinson's. Some charities will be very happy to have your craft supplies when you are ready to part with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
craftiema (08-31-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
Oh, I'm with Karen & Nicole! This past year I've made a deliberate effort to shop my own stash, and I've actually enjoyed using some oldies! I'lll even confess that now & then I've used previously uninked stamps! :shock:
I had a stamp I received "free with purchase" 9-10 years ago with various body parts (cute lungs, a heart, a brain with legs and a smily face, etc.). It sat in the container with my other stamps, and every time I flipped by it, I had a mental note to donate it when I got enough together. Then one of the places where I donate cards asked for some cards with kidneys on it--for children who had undergone transplant surgery--and I finally had a use for it. Surprised me for sure. I can't imagine trying to search for a stamp set with a pair of kidneys! Now...not sure what to do with the brain, lungs, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
happy-stamper (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:40 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quote stamps? (How about free digis?!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbdView Post
Nicole,
TIA
Sadie
Sadie, I use digital images most of the time now... and have found lots of sites that have freebies that I can download or click to save and then paste to a page and print off (depending on the size I can usually print off a few different ones at a time. Or a dozen copies of the same one!

'll provide links to a few of my favs... and invite others to share theirs, too.

One of the first I found a few years ago. Here is link that provides a sample of the types of quotes available.
Décosse's Dynamite Doodles: Motivational Monday: In the Book of Family a New Chapter Has Begun
(On the top of the page, click on "Image Gallery" to find links to many others! Also, if you are new to using digis, I'd suggest that you review the "image downloads instructions" before you start. I didn't learn about pngs until I'd be using digis for a while. Wish I'd known this info earlier!)

This is a more recent find that offers lots of wonderful inspirational quotes and scripture verses. (I make cards for our church home health ministry team, so these are so appreciated!)
Here is a link with a sample quote- Maxam Made : Great Quotes
And the link from the top of the site that provides dozens and dozens of verses- Maxam Made : Bible Verses and Downloadable Images for Card Making - Great for Church Card Ministries
Reply With Quote Likes
mcschmidty (08-18-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What I like

I have enough stamps and I rarely buy more. Ones that really annoy me are those Tilda images. I'm not a big fan of Penny Black, Darcie Hunter or goofy images that are supposed to be cute. Really, unless the recipient is under five years old, that stuff holds little appeal.
Like so many here, I have been embracing my Big Shot. Someone gave me hers and for a few years I didn't really know what it was. So finally I took it out and fell in love with die cutting!
Most of my cards go to hospice patients and then for Christmas I send to my near and dear.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Karen
Karen,
GREAT topic! Enjoyed your first post (and all the others that followed too)! As I read, I kept thinking, wow, you & I have a lot in common including who we are sending cards too, granddaughters' birthdays, etc. And then I noticed you're in Northern California...as am I! I'm in the Bay Area...Walnut Creek area specifically and my daughter's name is also "Karen", but spelled Caryn....
Seems most of the replies are from long time stampers, which is fun as we've had time to evolve...in our stamping tastes.
I also was late to the die cutting fever and then bought my Big Shot and fell in love!
What I love:
Flowers, flowers and more flowers...
Still love the Crazy Birds series...Tim's cats & dogs to a lesser degree
Harry the Hare - old stamp...when I first started stamping, someone told me to buy it. So I did. He's a big sort of dopey, sad looking guy who makes me smile. I've dressed him up as a nurse, birthday regalia, Easter Bunny, etc. One of my most favorite stamps ever!
I like silly & clever...but not stupid.

What I really don't like:
Faces...partial or otherwise..never could figure out why these are useful
Cartoony, kids, critters, etc. They seem be be proliferating these days too...
Distress look stamps that Tim loves! Sorry...hasn't ever appealed to me
Realistic kitchen things....
Sentiment/verse stamps for inside cards...I ALWAYS computer generate a sentiment

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by mphb:
kazeka (08-17-2021), Paula in GA (08-24-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I make and send cards for birthdays, thanksgiving, thank yous etc. my winter holiday cards are generally printed since I send more than I care to make.

i find that many of the latest designs from many of the stamp companies that I tend to like are all very similar and the designs are just not what I am looking for.

i think that this kind of “crafting malaise” comes to anyone who has enjoyed creating (in whatever medium) for many years. I have found it to be true with quilt designs and fabrics). At some point it all starts to look and feel too familiar. Perhaps that’s just a function of long term exposure to a particular skill?

i have been enjoying using the “piercing plates” ….that pierce the surface of cardstock with a design rather than embossing or cutting….that some companies have introduced (Simon Say Stamps comes to mind)….very much, but it seems few new designs are being offered.
Reply With Quote Likes
kazeka (08-17-2021)