Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamp spots or full size ink pads?

:confused: :rolleyes: Okay i am getting ready to send my 1st order in and I have ton's of items on my wish list , of coarse I need to think logically about things i can use to demo with and in my stamp clubs, Was thinking of getting stampin spots since i can't obviously get all the full size ink pads at first should i do this or buy what i can of the full size and build my collection slowly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have purchased a handful of full size, but I also would like to know how much mileage you actually get out of a stampin classic spot??? How soon do you need that re-inker?? Before joining I used to use Memories Dye, which I still have some over 5 to 7 years old that stamp just fine, they are alot wetter than SU dye ink pads. To those who have both, which do you prefer? I'm thinking of ordering one set of stampin spots too, mainly 2 sets I don't have, I'm working on full ones for my favourite colour families of SS and RR!
Thanks for any experienced input here... great question for us who do not have it all lol.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 02:12 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the spots. Now I have some full sized pads but not all and I use my spots A LOT. You get good mileage out of them, but obviously they have to be reinked more frequently than the full sized. I invested in the reinkers gradually (by color family so I'd have the nifty storage box they come in). This made more sense for me since the reinkers can be used for other things like watercoloring, baby wipe tech, shaving cream tech, etc. I buy full sized pads when I'm going to be doing a lot of a particular project, like Christmas cards or wedding invites. It does get a little tedious inking bg stamps with the spots, but it's not bad, just takes a bit longer. hth

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

The only thing I don't like spots for is BG stamps, it works but it is just time consuming. I made the mistake of not getting the BB craft spots when they were on sale, and regret it often, it is nice to have every color.

I would get the spots, then only get the big pads of the colors you really use. I don't break the seals on the spots till I use them, just to keep track. There are probably a dozen or so colors I can't imagine ever using enough that I would want a full size ink pad. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:05 AM   #5  
Vee
Glitter Guru

All my stamp club got the full size pads. You can ask your demo about starting a club to get one full set every month or every other month and have a turn at getting the free stuff. She can help you find 3 other people to do it with. In fact, you might suggest this to her too: My ladies are welcome to reink their pads from my inkers any time. They just bring their dry pads to club. It is really not expensive to me 'cause they do it so seldom, even tho I remind them. It would be a fair service for forming your club and buying all the pads from her I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 04:57 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I love the idea of letting them reink thier pads with your reinker. I have a ton of the reinkers, and you are so right, you don't use *that* much ink to reink your pad, and if they can get more use out of thier juicy pads, they are more likly to want more stuff to use with thier pads..lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:14 AM   #7  
The Digi-Freak

I would get teh full size pads, unless you intend to be stamping for a short amount of time only....

I figure my full size pads are an investment.... I will use them for a LONG time!

I've had mine 3 years now and they're all in good shape and will last much longer... I don't regret taking it slower and getting all of the full size pads.

I guess I see the spots as a short term solution...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I decided to go for the craft spots and the full-sized classic. I actually had the craft ink before I had the classic ink and I find myself reaching for the spots way more often than the full-sized. This might be because I prefer craft ink to classic though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:22 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

thanks ladies, My original plan was to invest in all classic gradually in full size then get craft in spots, then it was suggested to me to get spots . so i was lost , i don't know why i always second guess myself lol.

Another ??? classic or craft or both?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #10  
The Digi-Freak

I find the classic ink does 90% of what I need it to.

The craft just takes too long to dry for me to have patience to use it on everything!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:49 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

A classic black pad, and full size set in one of the color groups might be a good way to start. I think my demo started with Black, and Bold Brights.

I would suggest demonstrating what you use and like.

Nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 05:53 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

in my starter kit i chose most of the bold brights ,think i will complete that set and go from there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 06:00 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Full sized classic ink first, is my vote!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 06:05 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I suggest buying one set of spots, and then go for the full size as you can afford it. I have replaced my spots now with full size, but I still have the spots. I love my ink and was always frustrated by not having the right ink color.

Classic or Craft? That is a personal choice, I use both in their place. I love using craft to ink back ground stamps, and I love that the light colors show up on dark cardstock. It takes longer to dry, yes, but I have used it enough that I find I handle the cardstock differently and within a reasonable time it is dry enough to handle with care. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by laderme; 03-30-2006 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Hi there..........
I'm still new to all this, but this is what I have........so far, that is! LOL!
I have all the current colors in the craft spots. They work okay for smaller stamps, IMHO. I am glad that I got the craft in the spots, I think overall I will use the "Classic" more. I have two black, one versamark and two browns.
All classic and full size. I also have a black, FS, craft. Then I have various colors in the classic. Most came w/my kit. I tried to stick to a color 'family' when I ordered these. The spots I got b4 becoming a demo, but I can see where they will be really nice for workshops. Customers can see all the colors up close. I DO plan on getting all the colors of the classic pads eventually. HTH!.
Good luck w/what you decide.

cheers,
Stacy
Stampin' blog here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have all spots (except BB craft :( ) and a few full size. I LOVE my spots and I've had them for 3 years! They are just now starting to get drier than I like. Personally, I would MUCH rather have ALL the colors than a few full size pads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 01:17 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I would get teh full size pads, unless you intend to be stamping for a short amount of time only....

I figure my full size pads are an investment.... I will use them for a LONG time!

I've had mine 3 years now and they're all in good shape and will last much longer... I don't regret taking it slower and getting all of the full size pads.

I guess I see the spots as a short term solution...
I agree. I have all of the full sized pads in classic ink. I ordered them last year before the color change. So this year, I decided to try out the spots. I am already regretting not just ordering the full sized pads. The spots are juicy, so that's not a problem. It just takes so long to ink up larger stamps. I like background stamps a lot. It's not practical for me to ink up one of those with a spot. I will be buying the new colors in large pads.

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the stamp spots 3 years ago. They are great. Storage no problem, portable, cheap and I didn't need to reink until about a year ago. However, they aren't great for backgrounds, and I love backgrounds. They also aren't great for brayering (which I use to background also). Sooo, I'm slowly going to get the full size pads as well.

For craft, I only have the spots and see no need to get the full size ones. Just take it nice and slow. No need to get everything at once!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 02:53 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I got the full-size (classic) pads first, and only recently got the spots because I wanted to have all of the colors available when I traveled with my stamps and packing all of the full-size pads took up way too much space. It was wonderful when I went home for spring break and didn't have to choose what color ink pads to pack! When I bought my ink pads, I started ordering a family of classic pads every other month or so when my stamping coworkers and I had a workshop at the office. When SAB rolled around and I had to have all four sets that were offered that year, I ordered all three of the families I didn't have yet! ;)

Since I don't use craft ink all that often, I only have the spots -- took advantage of the special back in November to get them all at once. I may start scrapbooking one day, though, and maybe then I'll start getting the full-size craft pads.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 03-30-2006 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:22 PM   #20  
Duchess of Dork

I'm not a SU demo, but would think that you would want the full size pads to demonstrate. You'll sell more of what you show, usually. Just make the cards you demo the ones in ink colors you have. Tell the guests you don't have all the colors yet because you are going to use the money you earn as a demo & it won't cost you anything extra that way! You can talk about spots & show them all the colors in the catalog.

Just my input as a customer! Though, if you want to show craft ink, then you might use the spots if you've already shown the full size pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I got all the spots and am now getting the pads. They both have their uses. I like the spots when, for instance, I am doing a flower and a stem - the spots make it easy. The pads work better for backgrounds.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I bought all the color families on my first demo order (30% instant income instead of 20%!) It was expensive, but with the other orders I had it worked out for me...now I can stamp SOOO much more. And I would save and buy the big ones because thats what you will probably use more...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Not sure i can pull them all of on my first demo order since i do want the markers as well and a few other things but i think i will choose to go with full size . i already have most of the bold brights so i guess i'll start by completeing that set! well and go from there . Know for sure i'll be investing in at least the craft white ink pad. Thanks for all the advice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinupsunshine
:confused: :rolleyes: Okay i am getting ready to send my 1st order in and I have ton's of items on my wish list , of coarse I need to think logically about things i can use to demo with and in my stamp clubs, Was thinking of getting stampin spots since i can't obviously get all the full size ink pads at first should i do this or buy what i can of the full size and build my collection slowly?
When I first started stamping with SU, I really didn't like all the colors in the EE family, so I got the set of spots and used them. I realized how easy it was to even ink a background stamp with them. I have since gotten most of the larger pads, but I did buy all the spots in craft. Easiest way to go on purchasing the crafts. I have not had to reink my spots as of yet. Just keep them upside down in their little box. I would say that is the most inconvenient thing about it is getting out the box and getting one little spot. But I've never regretted getting them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you so much for writing all that great info on the spots! I apprecite all your input Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes