Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-01-2021, 04:53 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default stamp sellers disappearing on ebay?

When I first started buying stamps years ago I was only on ebay-I did not know about the gen suppliers or that you could go to the mfgs directly. I literally looked at all 250K stamps at first and then just watched new ones daily come in. Took me awhile and it was good for me-taught me names of companies, pricing, what I like and don't a bit....Once I did and I started comparing prices it was a big eye opener. Some good deals but others are definitely overcharging (more than mfg on still existing product). I built a list of sellers I liked in ebay. Good pricing and service etc so I can easily go look at them.

A large number of them are gone after selling for years. I don't know if they have temporarily closed their door due to covid or are permanently out. These are not people just purging. They were long haul sellers.

Others are now selling non stamping stuff as well.

Are you guys seeing this in etsy and other platforms? I would not have noticed but that I have that list I use.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
cali.baxter (07-06-2021), LizSwickley (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I rarely check eBay for anything anymore. I got tired of items being in eBay 'stores' at MSRP's, and now purchase from regular online stores & brands I know. I'm happier paying the MSRP to a store, whether online or brick & mortar, with an occasional sale.

As for 'why' the number of sellers may have decreased, some of them might be selling unloved items on Facebook, and others might have grown weary of unending fees. I do enjoy a bit of Etsy shopping, but usually that's for unique gifts, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 02:06 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I think shipping costs may have something to do with it, too. I haven't been on Ebay for a long time and they closed my account recently due to inactivity.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2021, 06:44 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Also issues with people saying they never received the item when the seller knows they shipped it and have confirmation the package was delivered. EBay isn't always helpful in these situations. Perhaps they found selling elsewhere a better choice?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2021, 12:12 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay is in the process of changing how sellers get their payment: that may have put some sellers off and caused them to move to some other platform. Apparently you can buy directly on Instagram and Facebook - though what you do if there's a problem, I don't know.

But hobbies come and go : you wouldn't think so here on SCS but I think that stamping and papercraft are not all that popular with the young and so the average age of those doing it gets older and older. Many of those long-time sellers may have simply decided to retire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2021, 06:16 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Well, I had taken a big step back from eBay a few years ago. ( I used to use it frequently to buy stamps and sell cards) and it became such a hassle to sell there I stopped that many many years ago.
but, even for buying its a pain because, when they split with paypal, they made me change my email because, some of my emails contain my screen name and my screen name here is the same as there so. they now have a policy that your screen name cannot be in your email. which forced me to use a work email. so, I never get mail from them. maybe a year and a half ish ago. I started looking at stamps again, and so I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the payment to go through. and really it ticked me off.

it does not bother my husband because, his email is different than mine and the paypal one so, if I find an auction I want I send him the url and let him pay for it.
This works out because, the Amazon account is in my name and he does the same thing to me there puts things in a cart and leaves them there.

the up side to this is a couple of weeks ago he was all but hopping in his shoes oh you got a stamp in the mail. ( and I know I am forgetting things but, I was taken aback because, I could not remember anything I had asked for ) and I opened it up. ( he had noticed I was buying older American Art stamps from the Emerson line and had found some he bought and he had his fingers crossed I did not already own them. ( I did not, the next day a second envelope came with a trio of more stamps) and I am telling you I have been married for 30+ years so, the fact that he pulled this off and bought something I do not own ( my stamps are in the 4 digits ) but, would love to have is really a really cool surprise.

So, I have noticed that most the stamps I find I am getting from a handful of the same sellers.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 11 users liked this post by JBgreendawn:
bzzzeee (07-06-2021), ceramicat1 (07-12-2021), CherylQuilts (07-06-2021), dahlia19 (07-06-2021), domesticdiva (07-04-2021), fl_beachbum (07-03-2021), harvestmoon (07-03-2021), janesprando (07-07-2021), RJP111 (07-06-2021), TexasGrammy (07-03-2021), wavejumper (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 12:56 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

That is so sweet! He’s a keeper!
Reply With Quote Likes
JBgreendawn (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 03:48 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Aw...that is sweet. If you need an email address, gmail is pretty simple and free to set up.

I have bought a few things on ebay but not stamps....I just got a really good deal on nitrile garden gloves. But let's see if they hold up or are just knock offs of my favs. At that price I wont cry.

I have been noticing that people seem to be selling on Facebook and Instagram now...I guess no one can stick to their original purpose anymore. Everybody wants to offer everything....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2021, 04:30 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

That is so true. Remember when Etsy was just people selling handmade items? Now they sell craft items and so much more. Rather disappointing.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lynnewithane:
ChrisO (07-04-2021), Teachybaby (07-06-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieJennyView Post
... ...But hobbies come and go : you wouldn't think so here on SCS but I think that stamping and papercraft are not all that popular with the young and so the average age of those doing it gets older and older. Many of those long-time sellers may have simply decided to retire.
This point is seen clearly when attending stamp shows & scrapbooking conventions. Very few shoppers/scrappers are from the young generations it seems. When I look around myself at the fabric cutting area of JoAnn's, it's often similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (07-04-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree. Not a lot of young people are taking up the hobby. I think part of it may be that it requires a good bit of stuff, and we tend to accumulate even more.
Young people today want less, not more.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lynnewithane:
ChrisO (07-04-2021), VeronaSue (07-04-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have noticed there are not as many bargains as there were in years past, which makes me think the fees have changed and sellers need to recoup that in their prices. I did read about Ebay not using paypal to pay the sellers, so strange but, I am sure it had something to do with money and the contract that they tried to negotiate with paypal . Used stamps which I would always check for on ebay now have sellers asking prices that are equal to what the mfj is selling, really? for a used stamp? There was a mermaid stamp that SSS had that I loved and the seller was offering it at the SAME price as for new and refused to negotiate any offer at all.
I was a seller on Etsy, ( I made dog collars) and the fees went up and they even charged me fees for when a customer would put one of my items on their favorite list. It got ridiculous so I left. I know now they charge sales tax as well, but I went ahead and submitted sales tax anyway to my state just to be safe. It's sad because everyone is just trying to make a buck any way they can. You know?
Anywhooo.... Ebay was nice to find a bargain, and I just like everyone else like to support the stamping companies, but I also have a limited budget. I was allowing myself $20.00 a month for crafting but, I need to revamp the ole budget again since food is just skyrocketing (and I know it isn't just in my area alone) and I need to make due with what I have. At least Youtube is free and there are so many incredible ideas out there as is on here! ))))))))) Cheers all!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
MangieB (07-09-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #13  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I noticed something very odd a few months into the pandemic. We had a SUPER active local neighborhood garage sale group on Facebook. I was selling a LOT of stuff there for great prices as we Marie Kondo'd our house. A few months into the pandemic it went completely silent. Could not sell one thing, even at a crazy low price, and it has not come back either. I don't know if it was just the stress of the pandemic, economic impacts or what, but it's deader than a doornail.

Etsy and Ebay have both made it a lot more expensive to sell, so that's part of it. Zibbet was recently acquired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a couple of friends who are active Ebay sellers & flippers. It's just really hard to sell things right now with shipping problems, not having resources where they usually buy their items- garage sales, auctions, yard sales, swap meets, etc...
Sellers are going to new different auction sites & resell sites like Mecari.
Thrift stores are trying to deter flippers from overwhelming their stores by charging flipping prices at the thrift stores.
I am still buying quite a bit off of Ebay from resellers & finding good deals. I have been Ebaying a long time so I know how to play the "game" and be respectful of sellers.
I order from one stamp seller a lot. She recently sent me an e-mail telling me how grateful she was that I always pay upfront & never try to negotiate prices with her. I thought to myself "Do people really do that?" I know Make An Offer button is there but she does not have one. Later that day on my frugality forum somebody asked how to make an offer on Ebay to sellers who don't have a Make An Offer button. The Ebay sellers lost it with this person. Had all sorts of horror stories. I couldn't believe how rude these buyers are. One guy asked a seller if he could pay $50 on something that was valued at $1,000!
I don't blame sellers for saying I give up, especially if they are just trying to make some extra pocket money and this is not a viable income for them.
The topic about young stampers- There are a lot of young stampers. They are very talented & buying all sorts of things. I follow a lot of them. They want their own social media, and control their own narratives. Less design team, more Instagram & influencing.
I have been buying more stamps and supplies due to these girls so I know it's definitely not they want to own less supplies since they are all big enablers, lol.
Also they are more careful with their spending than we all were back in the day. They do spend their own money instead of having supplies sent to them for review or feeling pressured to buy because they are on a design team.
Stamping is not aging but evolving with a new generation.

Reply With Quote Likes
shirlb19 (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

How timely this thread is! Just today I finalized an Ebay purchase with a seller I've bought from for years who told me she's closing her Ebay store this Saturday. I got some very tasty deals, and she was offering a $3.95 flat rate shipping. (I'm irked though that Ebay is now charging sales tax for people in KS.)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how any person can make a profit from Ebay. I sold retired Christmas stamps in Nov. 2020. I made $800. By the time Ebay took out their pay, the supplies I bought, (labels, bags, bubble wrap), my time mailing, updating my For Sale or Sold sites and lastly the amount to time I spent. Just isn't worth the effort. I would rather sell on Split Coast Stampers.
Many Blessings, Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Gee Lydia. I hope the organizers of the garage sale group did not get sick or something....:( Is there any way to reach out to them?

I am glad to hear young people are stamping and I get it. They are ALL about social media these days. The good news is we are still getting new people here, if not in droves.

Pat which ebay seller is that? I wonder if is one I know....
Stampin Sisters was huge...she always had thousands of stamps running...so many that she did a tiered discount thing based on how long they were up. She had sold thousands of them....and she did flat fee too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2021, 08:14 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Gee Lydia. I hope the organizers of the garage sale group did not get sick or something....:( Is there any way to reach out to them?

I am glad to hear young people are stamping and I get it. They are ALL about social media these days. The good news is we are still getting new people here, if not in droves.

Pat which ebay seller is that? I wonder if is one I know....
Stampin Sisters was huge...she always had thousands of stamps running...so many that she did a tiered discount thing based on how long they were up. She had sold thousands of them....and she did flat fee too.
It is magothytrading. I know Stampin Sisters! I bought tons from them. I always wondered where these sellers were getting so many stamps to sell.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2021, 04:17 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

I will check that out Pat. Thanks.
Stampin sisters would openly court people to sell to them in their listings.

ETS...I cant find them on a seller search. Maybe they already closed.

Last edited by wavejumper; 07-08-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes