Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, venting about JoAnn's

I know this isn't news to anyone, but can someone tell me what the logic of giving us a bazillion coupons is? All they do is put everything on sale so we can't use them!!!!

It must cost them a fortune to print those things:confused:

Confused Beaglelover.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear ya! I am growing less and less fond with JoAnn Fabric stores and on-line store every day. I found, after venting about them here a couple of weeks ago, that a lot of people are not too happy with JoAnn's. I keep wondering if they know that and are planning to make improvements to their company image, policies, and way they treat customers, or if they simply don't care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree!!! I get the coupons in the paper, sale mailer and my sister gives me hers - all I do is throw them away because they are expired. Everything I want is already on sale. Every once in awhile, I'll buy a Xyron cartridge that is not on sale but other than that I can't use them. The JoAnns that I go to are both not far but also not close so their 10-15% off your total purchase coupons don't get used either because they usually can't be used before 4:00 o'clock and I am not going to stay out shopping just to use those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I use them at my local huge craft store that takes other coupons. I can use as many as I want, as long as the bar code is different. I have heard this is true at Micheals also....

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

This post is so funny because everyone I know who does crafts has asked the same question. I keep mine and use them at Michaels. I like Michaels better anyway.

Was standing in line at Joannes and the ladies in line with me were all wondering the same thing. Also wish Joannes had more competition.

The town my daughter lives in Vancouver, WA, has a Craft World. I wish we had one of those.

Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

On sale or using a coupon, it's still a reduced price right? I just don't see the difference if it's something I want/need anyway. As long as I'm not paying full price, I'm good with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Would you be happier if nothing was on sale and you could use your coupon?

I have bought a ton of stuff from Joann online all at great prices. I pretty much only get stuff that is 30-40% off and I use a free shipping coupon/code.

Their stores are gross, but I like their online shopping. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with them

Guess I am in the minority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post
me too. I got the best prices on felt a few weeks back and have a lifetime supply! I usually order stuff I can wait for and make sure to get sale stuff or free shipping or whatever so the prices are good.

My "local" craft store, which I adore, is a 45 minute drive so I mostly get there every few months when I have doc appts. Altho too many are the opposite direction now...lol.

anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Me three. I have no problem believing the problems other people are reporting - I know my mom has ordered from them and had the same things happen - but every time I've ordered I've been happy with the shipping time, the items that were supposed to be in stock were, and the prices were correct. The time I ordered alcohol inks from them, they were packed in separate plastic bags so as not to leak on my other items; one had leaked in its package and when I called about it, they had a replacement on its way so fast I hardly realized what had happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Canadians trying to buy from Jo-ann's has proven to be difficult. They took all of my private information to log in and set up an account. When I filled up my basket and went to check out they then informed me they didn't ship to Canada.
Michael's is okay I just wish they would change their products every so often. It's always the same.
We don't have a Hobby Lobby how does that compare?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I have Michael's Joann's and AC Moore which is huge all within a 10 minute drive. Joann's rarely gets my business because the coupons are never good on anything that isn't already on sale. They have a lousy stamp dept. anyway. On line is much better - if you can use the coupon for the product you want. Michael's takes competitor coupons. A C Moore doesn't. The only time I buy from Joann.com is IF I can use a coupon for what I want or if they're offering free shipping.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Would you be happier if nothing was on sale and you could use your coupon?

I have bought a ton of stuff from Joann online all at great prices. I pretty much only get stuff that is 30-40% off and I use a free shipping coupon/code.

Their stores are gross, but I like their online shopping. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with them

I completely understand what you are saying. I should be more grateful they offer so much on sale. Thanks for your perspective. Maybe Americans, like me, are just spoiled??

It is just a letdown to go in with a 50% off coupon and not be able to buy anything because it is already on sale for 40%.

I don't go online for budget reasons (trying to keep my hands off our credit card!).

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeagleloverView Post
I completely understand what you are saying. I should be more grateful they offer so much on sale. Thanks for your perspective. Maybe Americans, like me, are just spoiled??

It is just a letdown to go in with a 50% off coupon and not be able to buy anything because it is already on sale for 40%.

I don't go online for budget reasons (trying to keep my hands off our credit card!).

Beaglelover
I agree with this - I can't remember the last time I was able to use a 50% off coupon in the store. I did use them online, though, on the 4-sets of Nesties. For some reason, when all their papercrafting items are on sale for 40% off, the single sets show up on sale but the sets of 4 don't. Better for me

They used to have a great coupon policy - you couldn't get an additional 50% off the 40% off item, but you could get 50% off the original price even if it was already on sale. I don't know why they changed that policy - it was very customer-friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

OK< gotta jump on the bandwagon bashing here. What is driving me nuts is that I have always used their coupons on magazines. Now, their mags are always 10% off. I understand they were probably losing a boatload to people like me but magazines are expensive. Now the only place I can bring them into my price range is at Hobby Lobby but they don't seem to have a very good selection. OK, off my vent now. Sorry. Thanks for listening though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainy Day StamperView Post
This post is so funny because everyone I know who does crafts has asked the same question. I keep mine and use them at Michaels. I like Michaels better anyway.

Was standing in line at Joannes and the ladies in line with me were all wondering the same thing. Also wish Joannes had more competition.

The town my daughter lives in Vancouver, WA, has a Craft World. I wish we had one of those.

Lois
Oh, yes, Craft Warehouse is "da bomb"! My parents live in Vancouver and I always plan a side trip when I drive down to visit them. They rarely have coupons, though...but I still somwhow end up spending money in there! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisOView Post
Oh, yes, Craft Warehouse is "da bomb"! My parents live in Vancouver and I always plan a side trip when I drive down to visit them. They rarely have coupons, though...but I still somwhow end up spending money in there! :-)
A little bit more expensive, but worth the visit!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I look at JoAnn's coupons like this - it's getting me into their store - it's their way of driving traffic. Do I use the coupon? Sometimes. But their marketing/couponing is doing its job by bringing us in and then we spend our money on sale items! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:36 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Did you know Joann's takes competitors coupons as well? At least here in SC they do. The Michaels here doesn't take competitors coupons. In what state does Michaels take other coupons?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I have gotten some really good deals from the Joann's online store. I have noticed that when I qualify for free shipping it takes forever to receive the package - not so when I pay for shipping. I figure if I can get the free shipping I can wait. There is nothing I need that I can't live without so waiting is ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem with Joanns is the Cricut seasonal carts are $29.99!!!! Even Provo craft sell them for Suggested retail of $24.99. I tried to get tehm to honar manufactures price and was told no. I think they charge a little more than other places for simular items
and then put them on sale 40%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had a $5.00 off any regular priced item and I tried to use it but I couldn't because every craft item was on sale that week. Oh well thats how it works sometimes!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
Did you know Joann's takes competitors coupons as well? At least here in SC they do. The Michaels here doesn't take competitors coupons. In what state does Michaels take other coupons?
My Michael's in central Wisconsin will take Joann's coupons, but only on items that Joann's carries. Kind of weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
OK< gotta jump on the bandwagon bashing here. What is driving me nuts is that I have always used their coupons on magazines. Now, their mags are always 10% off. I understand they were probably losing a boatload to people like me but magazines are expensive. Now the only place I can bring them into my price range is at Hobby Lobby but they don't seem to have a very good selection. OK, off my vent now. Sorry. Thanks for listening though!
Couldn't agree more!! Our j's here in the praireland are awful. I moved here from NE ohio where they are based and could always find something. Now I buy something like a Tacky glue pen and get a whopping $.50 cents off. I Miss being able to get my magazines cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering the same thing yesterday when I went to Joann's. But I can't complain, because the coupons are usually just one per day anyway.
But yesterday I was able to get tombo multi mono glue, glue dots, and two packets of square envelopes with prefolded cards all for 40 % off. I almost picked up a sizzix die as well also for 40% off without coupon but decided I didn't need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,395 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I was a little peeved when I tried to order online as I ordered all the items even got as far as paying and then I couldnt change the delivery address from my credit card address so I could have free shipping to my sons address in San Francisco, when I emailed them they said to telephone, I asked them if they knew how expensive it would be from a mobile phone in spain to the states, strange they didnt reply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The last flyer I got had so many coupons for the same time period that I could have never used all of them during the alloted time frame.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I buy the stuff on sale and then use the coupon at Michaels In our city they're in the same mall - how convenient Most of the times theire sale on papercrafting is 40% so I would've rather have that than make multiple trips to use my coupon on every item.

The only whine I have is that they never have cricut cutting mats in stock :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't often get in but I can use Michaels coupons in my Joanns and they let me use as many as I want in one transaction, just not on the sale stuff, obviously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
Michaels in Utah takes competitors coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes