Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Something new???

I noticed today there is something new on the card recipes. It says share on facebook. I have not uploaded a card in a few days so I want to know does this mean your card goes out on facebook? If you do not want it to do you just leave it blank? If I don't have a choice maybe my gallery has come to an end. Can someone please explain?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh yah, it doesn't put it on your facebook automatically, that's why there's a button.

if you press the button a post comes up on your wall with a picture of your card, and if your friends click the picture, it brings them to your gallery.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think people have had a couple of questions about that. One, it looks like anybody can click that button to have the card appear on facebook, not just the artist who uploaded it to the gallery. Two, where exactly on facebook does it go? To the SCS wall, or to the artist's wall?

I think there are folks who are just wondering about whether they have any control over the process...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I think people have had a couple of questions about that. One, it looks like anybody can click that button to have the card appear on facebook, not just the artist who uploaded it to the gallery. Two, where exactly on facebook does it go? To the SCS wall, or to the artist's wall?

I think there are folks who are just wondering about whether they have any control over the process...
it goes to your own wall..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

There's a thread all about this in the site suggestions and feedback area, it's here if you want to check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
it goes to your own wall..
Yes, but it's not just your cards - anybody can click on anybody's uploads and it will get added to *their* wall, not yours.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Angelnorth for the link. I checked it out and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that does not like this. If I wanted to join facebook I would but, I DO NOT. I want nothing to do with it and do not want it connected to my gallery in any way. I wish we were ask before this new change was put in place. I hope that SC gives it more thought and changes it back. I feel facebook has it's place just not here or give us the option of opting out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I just deleted all the photos in my gallery.
I want not part of Face book and all the viruses and spam they spread
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Nothing in your gallery has to go to facebook, it is your choice if you want to share there or not. I am on facebook and love it, and have many SCS friends who are there as well. So far, I have not put any of my cards that I am uploading to the gallery on facebook, but I may choose to do so in the future.

I can always add a watermark, if I am worried that people will steal my work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowfeatherView Post
Barbara
there is NO WAY that facebook's so-called "viruses and spam" (there are no viruses associated with facebook BTW) could be traced back to you via your gallery on splitcoast.. that's just not possible.

i do disagree with the idea that someone else could put MY card on their wall, but when you think about it, why would they?? it's there so you can share your creations with your friends on facebook. like i said before.. when you're in facebook and one of your friends clicks on the card, it brings you here.. the only thing it could do is bring more traffic to your gallery, and who doesn't like that?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Opting out means not hitting the share on facebook button. Its just a button. Hit it or don't. It doesn't bother your gallery. It won't just randomly put it there and if you hit it on accident just hit the cancel or back button. No biggie. Otherwise it just sits there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
Nothing in your gallery has to go to facebook, it is your choice if you want to share there or not. I am on facebook and love it, and have many SCS friends who are there as well. So far, I have not put any of my cards that I am uploading to the gallery on facebook, but I may choose to do so in the future.

I can always add a watermark, if I am worried that people will steal my work.
It's my understanding that it is not restricted to a member only putting his art work on facebook, other members can put your work on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #12  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Barbara
oh no! Don't erase your gallery!!!

While I have read the stories about FB and the viruses- I still participate there- I am just cautious- I don't click on anything, or download anything, I maintain my regularly scheduled virus scans, (and adware as well)
I am also looking in to a mac soon!! ;)

however, any virus could affect any "social" site, this being one as well- it's all about being cautious with clicking anything, downloads, etc.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I had a PC and 3 times I picked up viruses, hacker tools and root kits in spite of diligently running my anti-virus programs. I manually downloaded any patches "daily" and I ran a scan everyday. It cost me $125 each time to have the malicious stuff removed and the aggravation of reloading all my stuff.

A year ago I bought a MAC and even though there are no known viruses for a Mac I have a anti-virus and net barrier programs ( specifically design for MAC) which I constantly maintain. The Net barrier stops adware, spyware and Trojans.
My Grandson said that recently Face Book had a virus that was attaching iPhones ( which are Apple products) and it was a Trojan taking over the phones. So hackers are busy trying to invade Mac's too.
I am not taking any chances. It is not worth the money and aggravation just to post a few pictures.
It is a shame , but we can't be too careful these days
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
there is NO WAY that facebook's so-called "viruses and spam" (there are no viruses associated with facebook BTW) could be traced back to you via your gallery on splitcoast.. that's just not possible.

i do disagree with the idea that someone else could put MY card on their wall, but when you think about it, why would they?? it's there so you can share your creations with your friends on facebook. like i said before.. when you're in facebook and one of your friends clicks on the card, it brings you here.. the only thing it could do is bring more traffic to your gallery, and who doesn't like that?????
Well, I imagine a lot of folks wouldn't mind. Still, clearly a lot of people do not want their gallery posts available to anybody to post on their own facebook accounts. And that is exactly what happens. I just tried with somebody's lovely gallery project. I clicked on the facebook button, which took me right to my own facebook profile page with the project showing up as a new post on MY wall. I can see why a lot of folks wouldn't like that at all.

I guess I'm hoping SCS just didn't think this one through very well and will change this once they realize exactly how it's working. Maybe they were thinking that clicking the button would post the project on SCS's wall?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:24 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudywView Post
Nothing in your gallery has to go to facebook, it is your choice if you want to share there or not.
I'm afraid it's not your choice, I can decide to share your work - not quite the same thing, IMHO.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have facebook. Not thrilled about the idea that anyone can put my cards on their facebook, but then again, I guess it doesn't really matter. Isn't it kind of having our cards in someone else's favorites?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

i think having a link to facebook isn't any different than having a gallery here on scs and someone favoriting it. yes it does keep it on the scs website when a person favorites it but I've also seen many times, a person link to a card in their blog post if something they made was inspired by somebody else and they want to give the original artist credit for the inspiration.
And yes, there have been some viruses on Facebook lately but they are started via a video link. I don't click on most videos and I stopped messing with all but a select few of the game/ donation/ applications. The applications can really mess things up. And the button just makes it easier to link...even without the button you can copy and paste the url to a card on facebook, it just takes a little more effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I am surprised that so many people are against Facebook! I am not a big Facebook user, but I don't think it is anything to be afraid of if used properly. I do agree that you should have the option to NOT add the Facebook button to your gallery images, but I really think that it is a cool option. I think the Facebook button here is the same concept as "digg it" or "stumble it". If you are browsing the Internet and find something you like and want to share with your "social network" of friends, these buttons make it easier to do so (people can still put your stuff on their Facebook pages even without a Facebook button).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I had a PC and 3 times I picked up viruses, hacker tools and root kits in spite of diligently running my anti-virus programs. I manually downloaded any patches "daily" and I ran a scan everyday. It cost me $125 each time to have the malicious stuff removed and the aggravation of reloading all my stuff.

A year ago I bought a MAC and even though there are no known viruses for a Mac I have a anti-virus and net barrier programs ( specifically design for MAC) which I constantly maintain. The Net barrier stops adware, spyware and Trojans.
My Grandson said that recently Face Book had a virus that was attaching iPhones ( which are Apple products) and it was a Trojan taking over the phones. So hackers are busy trying to invade Mac's too.
I am not taking any chances. It is not worth the money and aggravation just to post a few pictures.
It is a shame , but we can't be too careful these days
Barbara
And this can happen with any website. Matter of fact, in our school district, several of our schools got a horrible virus that shut down some of the computers completely. And Facebook is locked out in our district as well as other websites so the students won't spend their time on those websites. So the virus did not come from Facebook. What happens? You can go to a website and once the pictures load a thing will pop up telling you that you have 10 viruses on your computer and to download this anti-virus software. Once you download the software, you have put a Trojan on your computer because it's loaded in that download. This also happened on my home computer although I know not to download an anti-virus software because I already have them and it happened on several teachers' home computers as well as the school district's computers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Well, I imagine a lot of folks wouldn't mind. Still, clearly a lot of people do not want their gallery posts available to anybody to post on their own facebook accounts. And that is exactly what happens. I just tried with somebody's lovely gallery project. I clicked on the facebook button, which took me right to my own facebook profile page with the project showing up as a new post on MY wall. I can see why a lot of folks wouldn't like that at all.

I guess I'm hoping SCS just didn't think this one through very well and will change this once they realize exactly how it's working. Maybe they were thinking that clicking the button would post the project on SCS's wall?
i don't think they would have thought that it would send your card to the SCS wall.. (there would be thousands on their wall.... ) it seems it was done with good intentions, and it's just a little messed up right now....

but like i said. if someone wants to post MY card on THEIR wall and send traffic MY way, i think i'm okay with that.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I agree with the blog comments. If you link to the pic on a blog its the same thing as linking it to facebook. Before you use a pic on a blog do you ask permission of just do it? Same principal applies here. If you want to add it you could send a pm asking. Guess it all depends on what kind of blogger you are. Adding watermarks to your pic is one way of making yourself feel a bit more secure in your designs as was mentioned earlier. And who knows, once someone sees what you do, the opportunities that could come your way could be kinda cool.
Reply With Quote Likes