Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Software for Tracking Stamping Supplies

I'm just curious if anyone knows of software designed specifically for stamping supplies?

I'm about to start a program to learn how to program software, and I'm thinking of creating this as one of my final projects.

I know that some SCSs use Evernote.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't but it certainly would be nice. I wouldn't have extras of certain items
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm using excel sheets myself....a program would be very nice. Excel works but it is a little clumsy. I am not handy on the cell phone-which is how I see a lot of people using Evernote. I would need it for my laptop.

It might be a good Q to the group to ask what features people would want in an ideal program since you have some time, if you feel like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I applaud you on taking the class. What a great idea and a real marketable skill.

I use Excel. But I'm a bean counter... you see the connection there :-)

It would be great to have a software that could be searched through using different search words (which is why I tend to use 4 words/cells as descriptions or categories) like a wild card search.

Also a visual would be nice because I search and find something but don't think that is what I am looking at in my shopping cart so I have to go find it. Frustrating. Guess programming it to link to the internet for automatic info/pics would be helpful.

I'm curious to see what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never heard of a software just for tracking stamping supplies. Great idea!
I have also never used Evernote, though I hear people like it a lot. I don't do much on my phone except for talk and text. :-)

Janet, did you get your Microsoft Excel as part of the Office Suite? If so, you might take a look at Microsoft Access. It's a database program and I believe you can add photos.

It's been years since I used Access. I'm not even familiar with the latest version. Maybe I should give it a try. So far, I've not bought duplicate versions of scrapbook items, but more than once I've purchased duplicate books--mainly because they were rereleased with a new cover. Argh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

The program is a web development program, so I'll be designing a web app. Users could create an account.

Would you want the ability to share information about your stash with others you select?

If I have the time, I would want to create a compatible iPhone app that would synch with the online account. Then you could have your information with you when you shop.

I would also include a wishlist feature to keep track of what I want (very long list).

I would want each stamp set to be logged AND each stamp to be recorded. Then, you could search for "birthday" and see every stamp regardless of set that has the word "birthday" in it or has been tagged as birthday themed.

And yes I definitely want to have pictures! Then I could see each "birthday" stamp and decide if it's right for the project.

This may be tricky to accomplish. Would each user upload each picture herself? This would cause a lot of duplicate images and would take up a considerable amount of space. Or could the program scrape the web for stamp set images? Would companies oppose the use of their pictures? Considering the way SCS has to create hand-stamped index cards, the answer is probably yes.

Would image search results show a picture of the entire set? How difficult would it be to parse out each individual stamp? What about pictures of retired sets?

It would be interesting to hear how people who use Evernote handle pictures.

I would also love to have a way to keep track of which punches/dies coordinate with each stamp and/or set. Then I would know instantly if I had an easy way to cut the image.

Likewise, it would be nice for each ink pad to list whether or not I had a refill.

My friend who's a knitter says that you can keep track of your yarn stash on ravelry.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I know Tim Holtz has his own software app for tracking all his products.
I was using Evernote, but I'm switching over to Microsofts One Note, which is free with windows, and has one feature Evernote doesn't- the ability to resize images. Hoboken Paper, that was my biggest annoyance with Evernote, I tend to search across the web for images of stamps to index, and they are usually all sorts of sizes, even when they come from the same site. The ability to 'free transform' to shrink/enlarge an image always seemed to me to be a strange thing to be missing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I know Tim Holtz has his own software app for tracking all his products.
I was using Evernote, but I'm switching over to Microsofts One Note, which is free with windows, and has one feature Evernote doesn't- the ability to resize images. Hoboken Paper, that was my biggest annoyance with Evernote, I tend to search across the web for images of stamps to index, and they are usually all sorts of sizes, even when they come from the same site. The ability to 'free transform' to shrink/enlarge an image always seemed to me to be a strange thing to be missing.
Wow! I knew I wanted pictures, but I never thought about the re-sizing issue. Thanks for that input!

Of course, I have to figure out how to do all of this, lol. The program is an immersive one. I'll mostly be learning for the first 6 weeks. Then, in the last 6 weeks, we'll start building things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Access here on the PC for stamp sets, but just use a note program in my phone for everything else to attempt to not double purchase. I would definitely be interested in a program that tracked everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds intriguing Elizabeth. Are you planning interface for Mac users too?

I use Evernote. I have it on both my IPhone and my laptop. I find it much easier to update and add images from the laptop. It's invaluable if I'm shopping. So far I have all my embossing folders and dies inventoried. I have bought duplicate efs too many times. If I liked it once, I'll like it again!! Working on a system for stamps that isn't overwhelming. I do wish I could resize images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Carla,

I was thinking that the web-based application would allow you to work on any windows or Mac computer. So, for example, Pinterest is a web-based application. However, instead of having boards for pinning, you would have a way to add stamp sets to your stamp set list, embossing folders to your ef list, embossing powders to your eb list, inks to your ink list, etc. Also, I'd like to make it so you can sort alphabetically by name and/or manufacturer. And the ability to search for individual stamps by tag is important to me.

I'm a beginner, so whatever I build may be pretty primitive.

The program only teaches front-end and back-end web development. I was planning on learning Swift on my own to create an iPhone app. I think you can use Swift to create a Mac computer app too, but that would be down the line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Janet-lol on bean counting. Here too. You could put links in a col for pics in excel btw. Of course that hinges on the site keeping the pic up.

No I cant give access to my stash lists. I'd have to kill you after. LOL But definitely some people might be willing to.

I am wondering how much roll over I would want. Like if I roll over the title will a pic show? Roll over can be SO annoying. (ie ebay banner)

What about a simple toggle check col for whether you have ink refills? If you do, there's a check mark.

This is a cool thing to learn to do and even cooler to have an app you personally want to have to use! I'm surprised no one has done it yet. Well, when you are rich and famous dont forget us!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

I love Evernote. Phone, ipad, laptop, desktop, all sync together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm another Evernote lover. I've only been using it a short time and it has been invaluable to have access to my supplies on my phone while out shopping. It saves double buying. So far I have Evernote notebooks for:

Dies
Embossing Folder
Stamps
Inkpads

I'll move on to paper at some point so I'll know just how many sheets I have of particular SU and Gina K colours, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I also use Evernote.
currently I have notebooks for:
Inkpads, Copic markers, Dies, Stamps, Punches, Embossing Folders

I don't really keep track of "consumables" like embellishments, adhesive, cardstock, paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

there have been a few apps and web based over the years
I have not seen updates on most for a while. I liked Scrappypedia
Scrappypedia - Scrapbooking Product Database and Inventory Management
as it is both webbased and a app and best thing was you could add by scanning barcodes. This is nice as you go forward in adding new items
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I use excel and one note. and before that a notebook in my purse, which I update with each purchase, other than su stamps. Its easy to update the notebook because everything was already written down before I entered in excel. Now I just add things as I go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MyStuff2 Pro

I use this to track my stuff

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Default Scrappypedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
there have been a few apps and web based over the years
I have not seen updates on most for a while. I liked Scrappypedia
Scrappypedia - Scrapbooking Product Database and Inventory Management
as it is both webbased and a app and best thing was you could add by scanning barcodes. This is nice as you go forward in adding new items
I had no idea this existed!!! I'll have to check it out. The idea to enable barcode scanning is fantastic!!!

Are there any other things you especially like about it?

Is there anything you wish you could change about it? Any features you wish you could add?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
I use this to track my stuff
Never heard of MyStuff2 Pro. Very interesting! When I searched for it on Google, it was popular enough to bring up blog articles on "best alternatives to mystuff2."

I'll have to check this out and the alternatives. Thanks!!!

Anything it doesn't do well for stamping supplies? Any features you love or wish you could change/add?
Reply With Quote Likes