Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So discouraged

I started stamping about 5 years ago ... loved loved loved it. Last year (a year ago) I lost my enthusiasm. Tried a few times, no mojo, couldnt do a thing. Thought I would try again tonight. I really wanted to make a Valentine card. So I'm going along, all is well ... end up with red finger prints on my card front that I cant cover up. I am remembering again WHY I find stamping so frustrating. I have so many supplies ... I dont want to give up. But I dont want to do it anymore. What do I do? I want to do something relaxing that I enjoy, not something that frustrates me to no end. But how can I give up with all these supplies? Ugh. Any words of wisdom ladies?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Hang in there............ Take a class or two.......... keep lots of wipes handy for your fingers as well as extra card fronts for practice. Hate it when there is a mistake that I can't cover up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

If you truly have no interest and it frustrates you that much, why not just sell your supplies and be done with it? Then you can breathe a sigh of relief. If you really want to get back into it, then try CASEing other people's cards until you get your creativity back. We all go through periods where we aren't in the mood to create. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

We all do it!!!! Trust me!!! It happens!! I think taking a class would be an excellent way to get some stamping time in. A lot of my card designs, end up redesigned to "hide" an error. LOL!!! HUGS!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Did you enjoy making the card up until the point that you got the fingerprints on it? That has happened to me so many times that now I keep baby wipes in my desk drawer. After I use paints or inks, I wipe my hands and make sure they're dry before I touch my card again. My big problem now is the backs of the cards. They always get dirty. I think I'm going to use repositionable adhesive and attach a sheet of white printer paper on the back of the card while I'm working on it.

As for not having any mojo, is it that you just don't want to make cards? Or are you looking for inspiration and ideas? If that's the case, then I would recommend looking through the gallery, searching for YouTube videos, and visiting company websites.

I hope you find what makes you happy and do it. Don't be afraid of making mistakes. We all do it. Yes, it's frustrating, and we feel your pain. Don't give up. Maybe take a break, but keep at it if you enjoy doing it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Deb! I'm sorry you are having a tough time. You are not alone! I have been stamping for years. Sometimes, creativity just flows; but other times, I mope around and plan on selling off my supplies. My DH always talks me out of it.

One thing that has helped me recently is to change my focus from card making to looking at other projects--3D items, mixed media thingees, and recently, putting together an art journal. In my art journal, it doesn't matter if I catch an edge on the stamp or leave fingerprints...I just grab a coloring pencil and turn the boo boo into something arty. I find the more I let myself play without the pressure of making something that anyone else will see, the better things come together.

Just give yourself permission to play, and maybe things will be fun again. Please don't give up!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get like that too and it took awhile but I finally figured out that I was going too fast. If I actually take more time, lay everything out (no tape!) and think it through, it is much more enjoyable! I was in my room for probably an hour working on one card and it turned out great and I was so proud of myself...6 months ago I would have been cursing up and down, wasting tape and ending up not liking it. Maybe you should go through your stash and pick a set you like then Google image it, tons of cards and projects will come up and it might be just the little kick that you need
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can empathize. I hadn't done anything really for almost a year. But just in the last couple months I've been getting back into it. What got me going was pushing myself to use my CraftRobo. I really love this tool and its got me going again. Over the last week, I took out a couple old CTMH catalogues I had and just started casing some cards in them to get back in the groove. I've made 6 cards in 4 days. That's more than what I made in the last 6-8 months! As for making mistakes or getting marks on your card fronts, I think we all have been there. It is frustrating. I think some of the suggestions these fine ladies have given you will help. And when I get a smudge on the card front that I can't hide, I try to take it as a sign that I can do it over and do it better. I really like the idea that Scrapjanny has about putting scrap paper on the back of the card to protect it from getting dirty. I've ruined many cards that way too and had to cut the front off and adhere it to a new base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Oh I can understand this. I think at time we all lose that temporarily. A good friend of mine told me, "just go and play." The less I had a clue what I was going to do the more fun it became. Try something crazy, like take your ugly paper and spray with ink refill and water to see what happens. I love doing this since I didn't like the paper anyway and if it turns out you are on your way to a project! The technique challenges on here are great fun. Make a card that you don't HAVE to make or have a deadline for. The more I felt I had to make a card for so and so, the less fun it was. New techniques always did it for me so hoping they get you going too! The other thing that helps a ton is invite a friend for a stamping day and trade ideas ( and of course snacks). Good luck to you whatever you decide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I agree with those who suggested CASEing other cards or taking a class. If you don't have classes nearby, another option is to just follow some of the tutorials online or on this site. Pinterest is another source of inspiration for me, especially if I look for a specific stamp set or technique I want to use. One other thing that inspires me: the gallery here at SCS. If I want some creative mojo to rub off on me, that's the place I can usually find it. I love going through the gallery and leaving comments for others while I enjoy all the beautiful, inspiring art there. I also look at the challenges for new ideas. Sometimes having a set of guidelines for a project really helps me focus on what I want to create.

And if you still don't feel like stamping, don't push yourself to do something you don't really want to do. Sell or give away what you have and look for a new creative outlet. If your supplies gave you enjoyment for awhile, then they've done their job and it's okay to give them a new home now.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

What gets me out of these slumps is making cards for a good cause. Right now I make cards for Operation Write Home. When I get in a slump, I go to their Facebook page or website, and read the messages of appreciation from the soldiers, look at what some of the other women are doing, think of the pleasure my cards give to the troops, and that keeps me going.

And the others here are right, when I just can't seem to get anything creative going, I will case something here, or case something that I did in the past I really liked, or try a totally new technique.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #12  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Online Card Classes (I'm not affiliated) has an online class - reasonably priced - called Kick Start. EVERYONE gets into a creative dry spell at times and this class is lots of creative people (check out the line up of artists who contribute on this class - incredible talent) sharing things that they do to 'kick start' their creative juices when they're in a creative slump.

http://www.onlinecardclasses.com/

I agree with some previous posters that taking classes and slowing down are two really good steps to getting yourself back into the creative swing of things. There are lots of great online card classes and wonderful tutorials on SCS and YouTube.

Since you love this, I really hope that you find whatever gets you going again !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I'm stuck I CASE something and that usually gets me going again. I felt a bit burned out after all the Holidays and basically copied a design from a YouTube video for most of my Valentine cards this year. They aren't as fancy as last years, but it's what I felt like making and I used what I had in my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I've found that making a mistake (such as a smudge) can sometimes be a good thing and trying to hide it produces a much more interesting card.

However I have also discovered that for me making a one layer card does not work. I always do my design on a separate piece of card and layer it - I waste a lot less card/paper that way.

If you really want to make cards try to make it easy for yourself, and if you are not having fun maybe it's time to move on and do something else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for all the replies ladies. I appreciate your input and thoughts. I did make 2 cards last night and I ended up enjoying the process (for the most part). I made much simpler cards than I usually do and that seemed to help. Sometimes I am too hard on myself too ... I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my cards and that is something I need to get over. No one ever notices the little boo boos that are glaring at me when I am making the card. I am going to slowly try to get back into this ... if it doesnt work out, I will move on. I have also started needle felting and I am enjoying that right now. Thanks again ... all your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #16  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
Thank you for all the replies ladies. I appreciate your input and thoughts. I did make 2 cards last night and I ended up enjoying the process (for the most part). I made much simpler cards than I usually do and that seemed to help. Sometimes I am too hard on myself too ... I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my cards and that is something I need to get over. No one ever notices the little boo boos that are glaring at me when I am making the card. I am going to slowly try to get back into this ... if it doesnt work out, I will move on. I have also started needle felting and I am enjoying that right now. Thanks again ... all your input is appreciated.
YAY!!!! This is great news, indeed :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mess up a card near the end of the process more than I care to admit. I usually just make it over again. Once you get over the anguish (!!!) of having ruined the card and you clear your worktable and get yourself going, it usually takes only a very short time to get back to where you were when you messed up. After all, you're not making any decisions or figuring anything out, you've already done that part, which is the part that takes the most time. And usually my second attempt is better than the first one was! ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

One thing I have learned to do is NEVER glue down your card front until you have it just the way you want it. Then if you have a boo boo, you can quickly stamp another front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

If it's the little things that get you down then you should think about changing some things... LIKE: re-arrange your supplies/materials so you're more organized when you work. I used to always make little mistakes AT THE END and that's because I didn't have an ORDER.. Now when I use a stamp I put the top back on the ink immediately, wipe the stamp, wipe my hands and wipe my workspace if needed.. Then I'll continue assembling the card. I also have a lot of cardbases pre-scored and pre-stamped on the back (with my signature) so if I mess up something I can just grab a new base, and for the most part I do a "card front" and adhere it do a "card base."

Just try to streamline your process a little and maybe that will help you be less frustrated! good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

You guys gave great advice and encouragement to her it was nice to see. That is why I love this site.

thanks gang

smile
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Thank you for all the replies ladies. I appreciate your input and thoughts. I did make 2 cards last night and I ended up enjoying the process (for the most part). I made much simpler cards than I usually do and that seemed to help. Sometimes I am too hard on myself too ... I am somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my cards and that is something I need to get over. No one ever notices the little boo boos that are glaring at me when I am making the card. I am going to slowly try to get back into this ... if it doesn't work out, I will move on. I have also started needle felting and I am enjoying that right now. Thanks again ... all your input is appreciated.
If you don't get your interest back then by all means move on to something more rewarding. Some times we see a hobby of beautiful things and want to learn to make them, but the process is not for us. I loved the look of Ukrainian Eggs. I bought the supplies and books, took a class and was never able to get mine to look as I wanted them to look. My hands were not steady enough. I was nervous about using the lit candles to melt and apply the wax and worried about dripping the dye which as very permanent on any surface. I think my concerns interfered with my enjoyment of learning the craft. After a period of trying I gave away the Ukrainian Egg making stuff and moved on. Learning any craft has set backs and mistakes will always be part of it, but it should over all be rewarding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever people are here at my house and are looking at my cards, they all know that if there is a little butterfly, it must be hiding a ooops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Just want to echo what other's have said about getting ideas, going slowly etc. And mention that I also tend to see mistakes that no one else sees. Friends and family have stopped me from throwing things away because they could NOT see anything wrong with it. Perfection is not required. Besides, no one else sees the picture in your head of how it's "supposed" to look. Ink smudges are another story. Sometimes you can cover them up sometimes you can't. We've all been there.

Secondly, make sure you are truly LOVING the hobby. It's okay, even with a bunch of supplies to say..." I just don't enjoy this anymore". It's supposed to be fun. If you're done with stamping it's okay. Needle felting sounds cool. Think of the supplies you could buy for THAT craft if you sold off all the stamping stuff. Or maybe you just need to simplify. Find your style, get rid of all the accessories and unused paper or stamps and just keep what you truly love and can use. There are many, many creative folks who love and are very good at a clean and simple style. CAS for short. This blog: Simplicity features fabulous clean and simple cards. And the talented artist is a poster out here on SCS as well.

Good luck figuring out what you like and go with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
If it's the little things that get you down then you should think about changing some things... LIKE: re-arrange your supplies/materials so you're more organized when you work. I used to always make little mistakes AT THE END and that's because I didn't have an ORDER.. Now when I use a stamp I put the top back on the ink immediately, wipe the stamp, wipe my hands and wipe my workspace if needed.. Then I'll continue assembling the card. I also have a lot of cardbases pre-scored and pre-stamped on the back (with my signature) so if I mess up something I can just grab a new base, and for the most part I do a "card front" and adhere it do a "card base."

Just try to streamline your process a little and maybe that will help you be less frustrated! good luck.
This is very good and helpful advice. I make a huge mess when I stamp so I think I need to slow down and clean up as I go. I like the idea of streamlining the process. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes