Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So that didn't go as planned

I had this "great" idea in my head but when I went to put it to use this morning in turned into a flop. :rolleyes:

I am one of those people that need to have card measurements right in front of me while doing my cards, no matter how many times I've done a card (and I've been doing this for over 15 years) LOL

So I decided to get 4x6 index cards and write down the measurements to each card that I'd like to create. Then I was going to make 2 of each of those cards. One to send out and one to put in a 12x12 binder using those pocket pages that have six 4x6 pockets in it. The plan was to put the card in one pocket and the index card with the measurements to the right of it. Well, wouldn't you know that neither the cards OR the index cards fit in these pocket pages. They are too big. :(

My brain just can't function right now, so can you think of another way I can store my cards with the index cards?

I hope I'm explaining this so you understand.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You know those photo boxes? (like this. I've seen them in all sorts of fun colors and patterns, but they have a lid so it will keep light out) What if you stored your reference card collection in one of those and tucked your measurement note card into the card? Another thought is to write the measurements on the back of the card itself.

EAT: I like the idea of a reference card. You could also list what inks were used (that's the part that I have the worst trouble remembering), what stamps/dies etc. I like your idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
You know those photo boxes? (like this. I've seen them in all sorts of fun colors and patterns, but they have a lid so it will keep light out) What if you stored your reference card collection in one of those and tucked your measurement note card into the card? Another thought is to write the measurements on the back of the card itself.

EAT: I like the idea of a reference card. You could also list what inks were used (that's the part that I have the worst trouble remembering), what stamps/dies etc. I like your idea!
I remember that by including it in my uploads here ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

LOL Sabrina.

I feel your pain. I have had more than one organizing plan blow up in my face.

Well all is not lost. If you make the size of card that would fit your pockets, hold onto it.

Unless you have an oversized binder you wont be able to do 4 x 6 pockets.

I might think the least expensive way would be the cello sleeves with the reference card in the back so you shouldn't have to open it over and over. (unless you want to in which case I would go with the more durable but cheaper version of stamp pockets. Cello sleeves can also be like book covers and open to show the inside if you want that. Amber Shaw here sell cello bags or you can google those.

The stamp pockets rec'ed here (I'm sorry, I forget who) that works fine for me for dies so certainly should be good for cards up to 5 x 7 if they are not super dimensional:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the biggest card size you ever work in? That would be the size photobox I would get with dividers for subject.

If you really like the binder idea...you can do 2 5 x 7 to a pocket page horizontally but again, bigger binder.

Honestly I just stick mine to a page (heavy cardstock) in my binder. Mostly now I take pics and have it in the computer though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2016, 12:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I remember that by including it in my uploads here ;-).
uploading to SCS ... a whole 'nuther skill set. lol!

ETA: (but very much appreciating those who've gone big, gone bold, and share their lovelies with the rest of us!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You can buy 5x7 page protectors and binders for them - smaller than standard sized. Just one example, and they sell the binders too: https://www.keepfiling.com/Sheet-Protectors-s/1.htm I think I've seen them at Office Depot too.

Or do you actually need pockets? IOW, will you use your dup cards? If not, you could punch holes in the card and index card and insert into a smaller binder.

I use a plastic bin kind of similar to the cardboard photobox jeanniebean55 mentioned. Instructions are put in the card. No pockets. Several cards I'm considering can be pulled out and put back in seconds, since pieces of cardstock (that are kept with the box) are used as place holders. I also keep box instructions in little boxes I make and keep dup boxes in a box. (My boxes are small.)

For me binders are more cumbersome and tend to hold less than an appropriate sized box or bin, so you end up with more binders. But that's why they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, even though I *know* vanilla is best. ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have a laser printer and I print off a quick picture of my project...then I write down measurements and notes. I have a stack of them and I just need to sit down and organize them into a binder.

I tried the making two cards and filing one in a photo album but, it took up too much room (cards too thick). I found my idea from card classes I was taking....I got the sample to give away and pictues of the cars to keep for reference.

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2016, 12:42 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Quote:

uploading to SCS ... a whole 'nuther skill set. lol!

ETA: (but very much appreciating those who've gone big, gone bold, and share their lovelies with the rest of us!)
We all had to start somewhere! Take a look at the galleries of most people who started their galleries years ago, and see how they've grown over time. I've often been tempted to delete my earlier uploads but they're a record of my journey. And a near-permanent record of cards that I DO like and occasionally replicate that doesn't take up any space ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

What about using plastic sandwich bags and then storing them in a photo box that you can buy at Michael's or Joanna. Those boxes hold lots of cards. Just another idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 02:41 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
We all had to start somewhere! Take a look at the galleries of most people who started their galleries years ago, and see how they've grown over time. I've often been tempted to delete my earlier uploads but they're a record of my journey. And a near-permanent record of cards that I DO like and occasionally replicate that doesn't take up any space ;-).
We sure did. and I agree, keeping your earlier samples to record your journey is a wonderful thing. The 'not taking up space' part is a definite advantage. Sure hope you're not disparaging of those who don't have and don't want a gallery here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 11:04 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about taking a picture of each card you make and adding the picture and dimensions into a Note in Evernote? Each card could be a new note, you would always have that info and it wouldn't take up space (it couldn't get destroyed). Just an idea??
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Sure hope you're not disparaging of those who don't have and don't want a gallery here.
Knowing Sabrina I'm sure it was a remark meant to encourage not disparage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been thinking of this very thing & organizing cards according to techniques, (of course with the technique included with the card) for quick reference! THANK YOU for all of this information!! FABULOUS IDEAS HERE!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 AM   #14  
LYP
Rubber Obsessor

I write my instructions on a post it note and attach it to the back of my card. I include the event I made it for (I am a SU d mo), the stamp sets I used, the colors and measurements of my Cardstock, inks, and accessories (dies, ribbon, anything). If I have done CASED the card, I add the name and blog where I found it. This info has saved my neck quite a few times and also makes it easy to post the project on a blog. Then you can store the card in a clear envelope and store the card however works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have access to a Container store they sell photo pages that are 5" by 7" pockets and go in three ring binders. I store mine in normal size binders and it works just fine. The pages are probably bigger than what would be considered traditional but they fit and are easily contained in the regular binder. These sheets used to be sold at Walmart but now I can only find them at the Container stores. You might be able to use the Containers store's online site or find them somewhere else on the web.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 06:15 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I put the instructions in a page protector, slide the card in the front and put it into a notebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

What has helped me tremendously is I take my cards and copy them in my printer, front and back on the same page unless the size is larger. That way you have the proper dimensions . I also write down on a pad of paper the date I made the card and what I used in regard to cS, stamps used,, the ink used, and what accessories I used. Then If I choose to make another one, I go to the instructions that I attach to the copied card and place them in notebooks labeled as to what type of card I made, Whether birthday, get well, misc. I also write on the paper who I sent the card to and the date sent. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 09:39 AM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Post it notes and envelope boxes

I write the colors of papers, inks used and measurements on a Post-It note and stick it on the back of the card. Then I have the cards organized by which stamps set that I used. I store the cards in old invitation size envelope boxes (the boxes held 250 or 500 envelopes so they are pretty long) so it is easy to thumb through and pick a card out to make. When I first started stamping I would just tape the card to a piece of paper and put the Post-it note next to it. I could usually get about three cards to a page and then I would put the pages in sheet protectors and store them in three ring binders also organised by stamp sets. This is also very easy to flip through, but you have the added expense of page protectors and binders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I prefer to make the sample and use a post it note also to remember size, c/s, inks and/or technique. I then store them in cardboard photo boxes and those are separated into categories. I currently have 6 photo boxes with Christmas, Heartfelt Creations, Class Act etc. labelled on the front. I find this easy and fast way to access what I am looking for, especially when I am looking for inspiration. HTH's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a reasonably small journal to track time when I am working, and when I create a new card, I tape a copy into the journal, along with the directions written into the journal on the opposite page. I include stamp sets as well. It's worked well for me for years, and then I just go back to the journal I need to find the instructions if I need them. HTH.
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

If you decide to go with the pockets, these ones are exactly like the Avery Elle ones that sold for about $10 for a package of 25. They're aprox. 7 1/2" x 5 1/2". I use them for tons of things. (Dies, stamp sets, extra pieces of CS...) Plenty of room for card, index card, instructions, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I used to make a sample of the cards I mad and purchased binder pages with various-sized pockets. I put sizes, colors stamps, etc. on a sticky note inside the card and slid it inside the card. I organized the cards by theme. It worked beautifully until I had 5- 4" or 5" binders bursting at the seams. It took a while, but I scanned all the cards, wrote the text and keep them all in files on my computer---like my own personal gallery. I gave the cards away to my sisters, who do not stamp. I do refer to it often, as I teach a group of ladies different card techniques, so to have all the info---and a card to print as an example, if needed is helpful. I also put the person/persons name(s) and the date/occasion it was sent at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks for the suggestions. I went with the clear envelope idea. I just ordered some and will just use a post it note to stick to the back of the card with all of the info then just store the cards in the empty boxes that I have.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes